The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #101
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Why, because a players dad gets upset that we are talking about injuries, cap figures and possible cuts? Ok, I am done.
I responded to you after you made statements that I knew to be untrue..now who is getting pissy
kupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #102
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupesdad View Post
Anyway thanks to the people who have supported him this past year+ (you know who you are) and "Fack you" to those who hide behind their keyboards and throw daggers at people who kill themselves for your entertainment.
Well as far as him killing himself or any other football player they have the choice not to play. I'll bet any of them will tell you it beats working for a living.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #103
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Well as far as him killing himself or any other football player they have the choice not to play. I'll bet any of them will tell you it beats working for a living.
It is working for a living... and a relative short life since the average lifespan of a pro football player is somewhere around 55... Thats 2 years away for me. I already said they have a pretty good life by anyones definition...That's the guys that make it to their second contract and survive all the other traps in life that multiply due to them being quasi-celebrities. The money may seem huge but 50% goes to Uncle Sam and then you have all the other issues money creates. It's a lot of fun having the body of a 50 year old at 30 and it multiplies exponentially year to year so often you have a 50 year old man with the mind of a 2 year old and someone changing his diaper. Nice Life!
kupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #104
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
It is working for a living... and a relative short life since the average lifespan of a pro football player is somewhere around 55... Thats 2 years away for me. I already said they have a pretty good life by anyones definition...That's the guys that make it to their second contract and survive all the other traps in life that multiply due to them being quasi-celebrities. The money may seem huge but 50% goes to Uncle Sam and then you have all the other issues money creates. It's a lot of fun having the body of a 50 year old at 30 and it multiplies exponentially year to year so often you have a 50 year old man with the mind of a 2 year old and someone changing his diaper. Nice Life!
To be fair that is now a known risk football players choose to take, difficulty of lasting to a second contract and all.

I oversee haz response/removal. No one I work with makes seven figures and we put our lives on the line just as much as any NFL player ever does and then some. The average heavy equipment operator from the union I primarily work with has a life expectancy of around 60, and that is 90% non-haz guys.

You've got two choices to earn in this world, kick ass at school, choose the right career path, have the right contacts, and you can be a white collar six to seven figure type who doesn't have to bust ass.

Miss any of those perks and your only other choice to earn a living is going to be busting ass. By most standards busting ass on a football field is a HELL of a lot better than loading yellow cake uranium tailings into dump trucks wearing supplied air and rad badges.

Or working an offshore rig.

Or putting out fires.

Or arresting meth heads who beat up their own grandparents for a few bucks.

Or working high steel.

I could go on. Point is, making seven figures to play football, with all it's end of life complications, is still a FAR better deal than 90% of this country will ever get a shot at. He's not taking years off his life for our entertainment, he's taking years off his life to earn for him and his family. Just like millions of other men do across this country who don't earn seven figures and see similar levels of physical decay over a 30+ year career. The fact that it is a high profile entertainment medium is why he gets paid the big bucks, not why he does it in the first place. Guys were playing pro football with less than a quarter of the protective equipment and medical care, for tenths of the salary, for decades before now, again because it was the best way they could find to earn.

I say this as someone who thinks the armchair GM "he's been hurt a lot for the last 12 months, cut 'im" attitude is pretty ****ing dumb and that Kuper is a very good player and a key part of this team. But it's not like he's disarming IEDs in Afghanistan. He's playing a very physically demanding game for a very high salary in one of the last career fields that offer a (comparatively quite nice) pension, getting the best medical care money can buy. The cost:benefit analysis of playing pro football adds up much nicer than what the vast majority of working men and women get dealt in this country.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #105
Bacchus

Quote:
I responded to you after you made statements that I knew to be untrue..now who is getting pissy
Actually the little smiley I ended the sentence with does not mean I am pissy it means that I was cool with dropping it.

This board is just entertainment to me. I have no money riding on anything here.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #106
CEH
Ring of Famer

If you want to prolong Manning's career give him the best Oline possible. Last year it was widely rumored when the draft matriculated toward 25 , Denver wanted DeCastro. I don't think much has changed this year I could easiliy see OLine as a high pick this year

Not sure how the team feels about Blake but the FO has made it known short yardage has to improve this year

Denver may have a Kuper starting for them this year but his name may be Cooper as in Jonathon
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #107
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

more worried about C than OG. i would like some insurance in case Kuper gets hurt again but unless Cooper falls i want a C if we take a OL.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #108
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
more worried about C than OG. i would like some insurance in case Kuper gets hurt again but unless Cooper falls i want a C if we take a OL.
I disagree, Denver gave up 80% of their sacks when Ramierez was filling in for Kupper. Thye need to solidify the Guard spot. I think the Center spot is fine if they re-sign Koppen and Walton comes back. A lot will hinge on how well Blake plays this year. It is no secret the coaches were disappointed with him last year.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #109
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I agree gaurd is the biggest concern. Taking a good one in the draft makes sense for so many reasons. If Kuper remains banged up hopefully the rookie can play right away and do ok. Ik Kuper comes back strong hopefully the rookie is better then Beadles.

If both Kuper comes back, and beadles beats him out, the rookie can still be the top guard bkup until he improves enough to start. It's like 3 chances to make the roster lol. It's a smart move to take a guard 1st-3rd round. We could use one that bad.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #110
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

because Broncos still need starters and a ton of depth really it doesn't matter what positions they draft. They just need to be good players and make the team and contribute.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote