The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Default General Baseball Thread 2013

Fire up the grill....it's almost time for some Deeetroit Tigers baseball!
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees outfielder Curtis Granderson suffered a fractured right forearm Sunday after being hit by a pitch in his first at-bat in a spring training game and will be out until at least the first week of May.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I'm interested in how well the Braves do having both Upton brothers on the team. Solid offseason pick ups for them.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
COWheatGrower

Do you think Bruce Rondon is ready to close for a team with World Series title aspirations?

Venezuelan throws serious fire (103 mph at times), but has trouble locating it and is taking a major leap (no big league experience) if he breaks camp as the closer.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Let's Go Cardinals!
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

ugh, goddamn cheap ass Hal, now our pitching staff is one injury away from finished and we have our best power hitters on the shelf with no relief in sight.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
jerseyboiler120

Are the a lot of Rockies fans on The Mane?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Go white Sox.....you can put it on the booooooooooard, yessssss!

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Dear Seattle Mariners,

It is another baseball year. You have the best pitcher in baseball, and arguably three of the top ten pitching prospects in the entire majors. You have some offensive talent, but don't have any big power guys. Please score more than 2 runs a game this year so Felix can actually win 18-20 games like he should ever season. It is criminal that a guy gets ND when he throws 8 awesome innings.

Sincerely,

Sad In Seattle
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees outfielder Curtis Granderson suffered a fractured right forearm Sunday after being hit by a pitch in his first at-bat in a spring training game and will be out until at least the first week of May.
This is just flat out ridiculous. First at bat in spring training, and he fractures his forearm and will miss the first month of the season. ARod's out for awhile, Jeter's hobbled by an ankle but should be good to go by the opener, I mean dang the Yankees look like a team you don't really know what to make of right now.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
TD4HOF
Perennial Pro-bowler

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bowlen’s Legacy

Aww yeah, hardball! Let's Go Mets!
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
This is just flat out ridiculous. First at bat in spring training, and he fractures his forearm and will miss the first month of the season. ARod's out for awhile, Jeter's hobbled by an ankle but should be good to go by the opener, I mean dang the Yankees look like a team you don't really know what to make of right now.
they're a 210+ budget team trying to pretend they can spend 180-189 mil and not give out big contracts to win and make money.
Hal lost his damn mind and thinks the fans were just going to take it.
now he's in a panic because the rewards for being at 189 mil are half of what was expected and the fans aren't buying tickets like they normally do.

what kind of moron comes out and says you spent money, you're shocked at the fan uproar over not spending on FA's and that you don't believe in contract extensions and aren't a fan of them.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Just have feeling my BoSox are going to be back in the mix this season.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
COWheatGrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Just have feeling my BoSox are going to be back in the mix this season.
Drinking the John Lackey kool aid?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post
Are the a lot of Rockies fans on The Mane?
Yeah, with their ****ed up ownership, pathetic unaccountable GM that spouts the company line, and therefore gets to keep his job for life, manager that a year ago was coaching high school baseball. Because their manager last year couldn't take it and quit, leaving 1.2 million on the table without another job lined up.

It's a pretty disgusting situation. I'll watch, probably until May or June when they are eliminated from pretending to contend for a playoff berth. I won't go to any games though. I'll be damned if I'll support that joke with any of my money.

It sucks. I enjoy watching baseball and going to the games when the Rockies fool me into thinking that they actually know what they're doing.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #16
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWheatGrower View Post
Drinking the John Lackey kool aid?
Hell no. Just a feeling that the BP is going to be nasty and that Lester/Buchlotz are going to regain All Star status.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
bombay
Ring of Famer

Fangraphs WAR/Salary stuff on Tulo over the past 6 seasons. His 'value' to the team:

2007: $23.1M
2008: $4M
2009: $25.5M
2010: $25.1M
2011: $27.1M
2012: $6.9M (in 47 games)
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Yeah, with their ****ed up ownership, pathetic unaccountable GM that spouts the company line, and therefore gets to keep his job for life, manager that a year ago was coaching high school baseball. Because their manager last year couldn't take it and quit, leaving 1.2 million on the table without another job lined up.

It's a pretty disgusting situation. I'll watch, probably until May or June when they are eliminated from pretending to contend for a playoff berth. I won't go to any games though. I'll be damned if I'll support that joke with any of my money.

It sucks. I enjoy watching baseball and going to the games when the Rockies fool me into thinking that they actually know what they're doing.
this. Even though I was getting tired of Jim Tracey, and his resignation came as a pleasant suprise to me, obviously it appears to have caught the Rockies completely off base. They are gambling on Walt Weiss but Walt will find out fast that ownership and Dan O'Dowd are just fine with losing. WW will do the usual 3 years to average a .450 winning percentage before he retires or walks away, or O'Dowd fires him.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Murderer's Row
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
COWheatGrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
this. Even though I was getting tired of Jim Tracey, and his resignation came as a pleasant suprise to me, obviously it appears to have caught the Rockies completely off base. They are gambling on Walt Weiss but Walt will find out fast that ownership and Dan O'Dowd are just fine with losing. WW will do the usual 3 years to average a .450 winning percentage before he retires or walks away, or O'Dowd fires him.
The ownership deserves some credit for locking up Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez to long-term contracts. This isn't Miami or Kansas City where management is just spitting in the fans' faces.

O'Dowd has gotten way too long of a leash though. The 2007 and 2009 seasons aren't enough when you consider the entire body of work over 13 years. They had a good scouting run in the mid-to-late 2000s, but the system has dried up more recently.

I do think Colorado is a difficult environment to sustain pitching success over time and it's going to be a challenge for any baseball think-tank. I applaud O'Dowd for experimenting with something different last year with the four-man rotation and 80-pitch counts.

But all in all, the Rockies could use some fresh blood in baseball ops. Arizona and San Diego have consistently produced more competitive teams in the time O'Dowd has been there.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
bombay
Ring of Famer

Cardinals rookie righthander Michael Wacha was sensational against the mets today. Three innings, no baserunners, 5 Ks. Fastball 93-95, with an exceptional changeup and a plus curveball. He make make it to the bigs very early. He's only 21.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWheatGrower View Post
The ownership deserves some credit for locking up Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez to long-term contracts. This isn't Miami or Kansas City where management is just spitting in the fans' faces.

O'Dowd has gotten way too long of a leash though. The 2007 and 2009 seasons aren't enough when you consider the entire body of work over 13 years. They had a good scouting run in the mid-to-late 2000s, but the system has dried up more recently.

I do think Colorado is a difficult environment to sustain pitching success over time and it's going to be a challenge for any baseball think-tank. I applaud O'Dowd for experimenting with something different last year with the four-man rotation and 80-pitch counts.

But all in all, the Rockies could use some fresh blood in baseball ops. Arizona and San Diego have consistently produced more competitive teams in the time O'Dowd has been there.
Not buying it. O'Dowd sucks and so does ownership. The Rockies are going on 20 years and what do they have to show for it, one WS appearance? The Marlins and the Diamondbacks have what, 2 or 3 WS championships between the two? San Fran has 2 WS championships as well. Even the pathetic Dodgers are making a huge comback after their previous owners basically stole from the team.

Nah, this team sucks because ownership sucks and O'Dowd is still a joke. He was a joke when he was hired, and he is a joke now, and he will continue to be a joke until he gets fired, which will probably be never.

I bet the friggen Cubs win a WS before this franchise. I bet KC Royals wins a WS before this franchise does.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

http://daps.tv/source-robinson-cano-...-be-suspended/
A Rod, Cano, Granderson, and Braun to be suspended?
Crazy if true.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #24
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

i don't see it. A-Rod passed multiple tests before the initial reports of him being linked again to PED's and they tested him,Gio Gonzalez and the rest of the players linked less than a week after the report and they all passed.
so how are they going to suddenly fail now?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #25
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i don't see it. A-Rod passed multiple tests before the initial reports of him being linked again to PED's and they tested him,Gio Gonzalez and the rest of the players linked less than a week after the report and they all passed.
so how are they going to suddenly fail now?
I don't know. He called it before so who knows.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote