The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #176
Agamemnon

I'm amazed at how him coming off a major injury and his propensity for holdouts carries so little weight with so many of you fools. If he was another Champ I could wrap my head around the idea, but he isn't another Champ. He's not the corner Champ was and he's not the person Champ has always been.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #177
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
?

I've already said this trade would make our defense better. I was just arguing with the idea that Doom is nothing special and could be easily replaced with a rookie.
I never said that. But "Doom's production" isn't anything that can't be replaced over time or in a rotation with another player..

Say you draft Oakfor or Tank C @28. And you rotate him in on passing downs, and Ayers plays base downs. Ayers gets 7 sacks as a full time starter, while a rookie gets 6.. Is production not improved? The run defense is probably a little improved and that's quality production from two players in a rotation, and the rookie is making an impact is he not? Cap numbers would be a fifth as much too!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #178
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Talk about a no-brainer. Where do I sign?
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #179
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
All very high 1st round picks And Wolfe was a second. Se the drop off? Sure we can luck out with a DE in the 1st and 2nd round. But our previous history with the position shows us that is more miss than hit. Or don't you ?
remember all those 1st and 2nd round picks we wasted on the position with Shanny? Ohhh that's right you probably weren't watching Bronco football by then. Until Miked picked up Doom in the 4th in 06, you could have said he had whiffed on most of the draft picks he had spent on DE's.
Impact is measured on more than stats. It's how such player facilitates for other players, and what he brings on each play, basing it soley on sack #'s is a very narrow minded view. History doesn't improve your football IQ.

Wolfe was a second round DT/DE. It's comparing apples to oranges. Yet you fail to see how shutting down the WRs is going to give the pass rush more time to get home. I think you and others fail to realize that. Holding on to Dooms past, to justify how important he is to the team. There will be more pass rushers to come through the NFL and have success than there will be shut down corners.

Name the true shutdown corners to play in the NFL..
Then name the good pass rushers to come through..
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #180
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Revis is not coming to Denver discussion is pointless.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #181
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Name the true shutdown corners to play in the NFL..
Then name the good pass rushers to come through..
Why do I get the feeling this would be an exercise in discounting every solid NFL corner while Cantonizing even moderately talented DE's?

Question... why do elite DE's make so damn much money (second only to QBs) if they're not worth what a "shutdown" corner is?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #182
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Why do I get the feeling this would be an exercise in discounting every solid NFL corner while Cantonizing even moderately talented DE's?

Question... why do elite DE's make so damn much money (second only to QBs) if they're not worth what a "shutdown" corner is?
To be fair, there are better DE's right now than there are CB's... (subjective to their position)
Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #183
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
To be fair, there are better DE's right now than there are CB's... (subjective to their position)
Not just right now, but through much of the history of the game too.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #184
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
Doom for Revis and pick up Kruger?

I'm on board.
I would be for this. Kruger didn't play a lot but he did lead the team in sacks and had a great play against us and one in the SB.

He is a kid on the way up.

I would hate to see Doom go but his cap hit is huge, if we got Kruger I would feel less pain about losing Doom.

I wonder if we ship Doom out if they move Wolfe to DE full time and plan on drafting or picking over FA stopgaps for another year?

I would love to see Ayers leave but his cap hit wouldn't help us out down the road as much as Dooms will.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #185
kent156
King of the Ants

the jets do run a 3/4 defense and doom had his best year in that system maybe doom and a conditional pick on how well revis plays
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #186
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

The Jets are in cap hell. They can't take Dumervil on. They brought a new GM in to restore order. Ripping Doom's deal up means mortgaging the future on 29-year-old, undersized player. Why would Jets do that when they are in the middle of a complete tear down?
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #187
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

any trade involving a first for Revis is a non starter for me. a couple of seconds, a player and some other picks yes. but no way in hell should we deal a first and have to pay him.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #188
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I would be for this. Kruger didn't play a lot but he did lead the team in sacks and had a great play against us and one in the SB.

He is a kid on the way up.

I would hate to see Doom go but his cap hit is huge, if we got Kruger I would feel less pain about losing Doom.

I wonder if we ship Doom out if they move Wolfe to DE full time and plan on drafting or picking over FA stopgaps for another year?

I would love to see Ayers leave but his cap hit wouldn't help us out down the road as much as Dooms will.
Revis + Kruger would cost about ten million more than Doom. Where you getting that money from?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #189
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Revis + Kruger would cost about ten million more than Doom. Where you getting that money from?
Lonely Star... Is that you?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #190
extralife
Ring of Famer

Are you disputing that? Think Revis is going to play for 8 million because he loves the Broncos?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #191
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Actually he is right... Revis will be in the 15+ million range and Kruger for sure will be a 6-7 mill/year signing.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #192
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Are you disputing that? Think Revis is going to play for 8 million because he loves the Broncos?
That's his cap figure for this year, unless he had a reworked deal..
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #193
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I highly doubt the Jets could even afford the trade.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #194
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
and Revis has a long history of playing when his cap number is low, definitely. his agent has already said 15 million or bust.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #195
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Actually he is right... Revis will be in the 15+ million range and Kruger for sure will be a 6-7 mill/year signing.
There's the voice of reason..
Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #196
Bmore Manning

Quote:
and Revis has a long history of playing when his cap number is low, definitely. his agent has already said 15 million or bust.
How did my joking comment of Lonley Star turn into this..?

We could afford Revis if we wanted him as a Bronco.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #197
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
well, if we are going to get Revis, we better sign him to a long term contract. For that to happen he is going to have to get what he is rumored to be seeking. Being the highest paid defensive player.

If that is true, and since most around here say that top CB are more important than top DE, then his starting point will be Mario Williams contract. Revis is kryptonite for a lot of factors.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #198
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Revis would only count $6M against Denver's cap without a reworked deal. If any team trades for him (the Niners) and are okay with him being a one-year rental, what's Revis going to do? Since his contract doesn't allow him to be tagged after 2013, he has no choice but to show up and play -- and play well -- at some point. If he holds out the first part of the season, then he's just that much cheaper.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #199
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
Revis would only count $6M against Denver's cap without a reworked deal. If any team trades for him (the Niners) and are okay with him being a one-year rental, what's Revis going to do? Since his contract doesn't allow him to be tagged after 2013, he has no choice but to show up and play -- and play well -- at some point. If he holds out the first part of the season, then he's just that much cheaper.
So are you implying that we trade Doom and the rumored 1st for a 1 year rental with no guarantee of him signing with us? Lol... thanks but no thanks. Some people around here...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #200
Bmore Manning

How did talking about his talents and potential impact become his cap figures?