The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #101
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
He's not going to be there at #28
I disagree. Receivers his size usually don't get drafted high, even if they are crazy fast.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #102
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I disagree. Receivers his size usually don't get drafted high, even if they are crazy fast.
He's not just crazy fast, he's crazy good.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #103
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I think they land Revis.
Yeah a good possibility. They almost certainly have the picks to get it done if so inclined.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #104
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
He's not just crazy fast, he's crazy good.
True. But as a rule, receivers his size simply don't get drafted early.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #105
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,428
Default

So what do you guys think have the massive DTs Hankins from OSU and Jenkins from Georgia? Neither is going to rack up sexy numbers, but they honestly seem to better fit the profile of the type of DT Del Rio and Fox will be looking for to occupy blockers and open things up for the linebackers and outside rushers. There's also a good chance at least one, if not both, will be available at 28.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #106
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
So what do you guys think have the massive DTs Hankins from OSU and Jenkins from Georgia? Neither is going to rack up sexy numbers, but they honestly seem to better fit the profile of the type of DT Del Rio and Fox will be looking for to occupy blockers and open things up for the linebackers and outside rushers. There's also a good chance at least one, if not both, will be available at 28.
I like both of those guys, but it seems like the Broncos are looking at Geathers (Jenkins teammate) and Barnes (GT) as mid-round options. Of course, those were just combine interviews, but I wouldn't doubt that they are both brought in for private workouts as we get closer to the draft.

What is the value of Denver selecting a two-gap DT whose primary job is to clog up lanes at #28? IMO, not very good. I think Geathers and Barnes are much better value picks in the fourth round for what Del Rio wants to do with this defense and although "lesser" of prospects, with some good coaching and refining of technique, can be valuable players in our defense. They are also massive (6'5 -- 345). I just don't see the value of Jenkins or Hankins (who is quite disruptive for his size) for us in the 1st round.

Would much rather get a guy who is going to be a TRUE difference maker on offense or defense with that selection. Hypothetically, lets say a linebacker. Someone whose production has a definitive value rather than relative. Just my thoughts. I feel that both of those guys will be there in the fourth round. Perhaps even later, depending on how long it takes for the top defensive tackles to get off the board. What say you Mr. Clemson?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #107
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,428
Default

Good thoughts, Req. I like Jenkins best of the two. He was pretty dominant at the Senior Bowl. On the other hand, he's also got weight issues which always raises questions about a player's work ethic and discipline. I'd feel better about a guy like that in the 2nd.

Like you, though, I think the brass will look for an instant impact position with the first pick. DT is typically a slow developing position, so I think they'll address that position later (or maybe not at all if they resign Vickerson and add a guy like Knighton).

Honestly, I'm hoping we can trade down from 28. There are a lot of guys I like who could go in that range, but who I would feel better about value-wise in the 2nd. We might be in a good spot if a team like Buffalo or Arizona is looking to jump back into the 1st for a QB.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 03-07-2013 at 07:54 AM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #108
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,278

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

To be honest, I'm not impressed with TJ Barnes at all. He plays way to high, has horrible hand technique, and is lazy.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #109
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I like both of those guys, but it seems like the Broncos are looking at Geathers (Jenkins teammate) and Barnes (GT) as mid-round options. Of course, those were just combine interviews, but I wouldn't doubt that they are both brought in for private workouts as we get closer to the draft.

What is the value of Denver selecting a two-gap DT whose primary job is to clog up lanes at #28? IMO, not very good. I think Geathers and Barnes are much better value picks in the fourth round for what Del Rio wants to do with this defense and although "lesser" of prospects, with some good coaching and refining of technique, can be valuable players in our defense. They are also massive (6'5 -- 345). I just don't see the value of Jenkins or Hankins (who is quite disruptive for his size) for us in the 1st round.

Would much rather get a guy who is going to be a TRUE difference maker on offense or defense with that selection. Hypothetically, lets say a linebacker. Someone whose production has a definitive value rather than relative. Just my thoughts. I feel that both of those guys will be there in the fourth round. Perhaps even later, depending on how long it takes for the top defensive tackles to get off the board. What say you Mr. Clemson?
I agree. I think the entire FO are completely on board with drafting DT in the mid rounds. However, if a specific player were to fall into the 2nd, they would do exactly what they did with Wolfe to get him and trade back.
I just dont think they are looking at a DT high this year.
I think its the same guys i have been preaching for months now.
Rhodes-Trufant-Te'o-offensive weapon player (Austin,Hopkins,Bernard etc.)
And draft another DT in the mid rounds with another RB.
Just my 2 cents.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #110
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
To be honest, I'm not impressed with TJ Barnes at all. He plays way to high, has horrible hand technique, and is lazy.
Two of those things can be corrected. The lazy thing is what scares me. I think him being out of gas and not in shape is what caused him to not continually stay low at GT. I'm disappointed that he weight in as high as he did at the combine. Almost 370 pounds. When he got switched to NG in a 3-4 when Groh came there he wanted him to be at 335 when he was already 350's pre-camp. I'm not sure what his playing weight was the season, but obviously he was pounding down hamburgers instead of prepping for the combine.

He had a much better year this year than he did in 2011. There are some places who think that he could go as high as the third round. At the end of the day, I think he will go in the fourth at best. I would much rather have Geathers because he is more athletic, showed dedication and dropped ~ 10 pounds or so before the combine and is a better overall player. I just think these are the realistic mid-to-late round possibilities for a rotational defensive tackle.

Brandon Williams is the guy who could really make a difference for us, but I'm sure he is in the solid 2(B) to 3(A) mix on most boards.

We will see. This draft has more 4-3 UT's than they do NT/NG at the next level. I think we will be looking for beef which is why I mention those guys in addition to having two-gap responsibilities and experience.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #111
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,209

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
So what do you guys think have the massive DTs Hankins from OSU and Jenkins from Georgia? Neither is going to rack up sexy numbers, but they honestly seem to better fit the profile of the type of DT Del Rio and Fox will be looking for to occupy blockers and open things up for the linebackers and outside rushers. There's also a good chance at least one, if not both, will be available at 28.
I like Hankins, he seems like a really solid fit for a 2-gapping 40 front, he has size and power and a decent motor. I really worry about Jenkins, he is a huge man but what I have seen of him he seems to be playing too much on his size which won't be nearly as good in the NFL as it is in college and he wears down really fast, when he wears down he plays really tall and gets moved around. I don't think Jenkins will be in consideration for a 1st round pick, he seems like a late 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick.

Floyd and Loluletei seem to be the consensus top 2 DTs, behind them is a group that is a bit tricky to rank with Short, Hankins, Richardson and maybe Jesse Williams and Sylvester Williams.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #112
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

NFP came out the other day and said there are numerous teams who have rated Jesse Williams as a first-round prospect. FWIW.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #113
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,911
Default

If they move Doom, I wouldn't be surprised if the FO goes a DE early and gets a single DT later.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #114
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 20,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

jesse williams is a guy i am beginning to warm to at 28 (if he falls to us)
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #115
g6matty
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default



he has to be the pick so we can let decker walk next year and sign demyrius long term
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #116
RocBronc
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 546
Default

With all the excellent acquistitions via FA over the past couple of days, I've gone from someone who wanted to trade down out of the first round and get extra picks to now I want us to trade up to and get an impact LB, CB or DL. This is especially true if we keep Dumervil (which I think we will). I want to get an impact player that can help us this year... Let's not fool around and make us Super Bowl favorites!
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #117
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

I would laugh if we took DeAndre Hopkins. Thomas, Decker, Welker, Hopkins. Try stoppin' dat boys!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #118
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,209

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
jesse williams is a guy i am beginning to warm to at 28 (if he falls to us)
I would like him, he is raw but has an outstanding combination of size and athleticism.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #119
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

1. Jesse Williams, DT
2. Jamar Taylor, FS
3. Arthur Brown, ILB

In that order. Best scenario: Broncos trade down a little bit into the second, get extra picks for this year or next, and still get one of these guys.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #120
underrated29
Ahoy
 
You lika da sexy

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,217

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

We have yet to address the C position and LB. I still think we need another CB as well. DRC miight stay after this year and might not. Champ will be gone soon. We will need a replacement for him (perhaps DRC) and need someone opposite him (harris perhaps but who is slot-carter?-the FO doesnt seem to like that right now very much).


So to me i think trade back a bit and go
1. Barrett Jones- C
2. Kevin Minter-LB
3. tyrann? Le'von Bell?
4. same as above?

Thats kinda where I am at in my mock.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #121
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Khaseeeeeem!
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #122
Play2win
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,628

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
We have yet to address the C position and LB. I still think we need another CB as well. DRC miight stay after this year and might not. Champ will be gone soon. We will need a replacement for him (perhaps DRC) and need someone opposite him (harris perhaps but who is slot-carter?-the FO doesnt seem to like that right now very much).


So to me i think trade back a bit and go
1. Barrett Jones- C
2. Kevin Minter-LB
3. tyrann? Le'von Bell?
4. same as above?

Thats kinda where I am at in my mock.
I like this.

Maybe the RB could be Ball or Stephan Taylor, depending on who's avail in the late mid-rounds.

I would love to see Barrett Jones, with our current O-line. It would be the new Iron Curtain.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #123
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
NFP came out the other day and said there are numerous teams who have rated Jesse Williams as a first-round prospect. FWIW.
I know the COLTS do

Seriously though, he is the prototypical 4-3 DT that Del Rio Loves. Dude is nicknamed "monster" for a reason. He has tremendous stamina as well for an enormous man, which would be ideal in Mile high.

He would be an excellent complement to the pass rushers too, because he collapses the interior quite well wehn playing read and react like he did last year as a NT at ALA. Look at the 2011 ALA tape to see what he could be, not last year when he was miscast IMHO.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #124
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 20,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

with knighton signed i am now leaning towards Te'o and Lacy
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #125
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict
 
xznsocal's Avatar
 
Fitting it in to tight spots

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buena Vista, CO
Posts: 147

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker
Default

I don't see MLB as a big need.

1) 65% of our snaps last year were in nickle.
2) Stewart Bradley or Nate Irving should be able to fight it out for starter in our subpackage, formerly known as "base personnel".

Unless there was an unbelievable value I'd favor taking a stab at some depth/competition for Stevie Johnson at backup SLB with a later pick.
xznsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37 PM.


Denver Broncos