The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default Sal Pal - Denver in mix for Revis trade

Heard on NFL Sirius XM radio that the Broncos are interested in trading for Revis in exchange for pass rusher and a high draft pick, thoughts?
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Forgive me, but I just don't value the position that highly. If I had to choose, I'd rather have a great pass rusher then a great CB.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
SlyEli

I'm torn...if the pass rusher is doom, as many people have stated, I think revis would be worth more for the money. Doom is a big liability against the run, and the majority of his sacks came against the chargers picked-up-off-the-street O tackle. But I think the threat of dumervil helps miller out.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Heard on NFL Sirius XM radio that the Broncos are interested in trading for Revis in exchange for pass rusher and a high draft pick, thoughts?
I'm assuming the bold would mean Dumervil? If so, that could make it workable from a financial/cap standpoint since Dumervil has an eight figure cap number. Then, we'd have Ayers - who looked great off the bench last season - to step into his spot. That said, I'd still rather pass. Especially if we'd have to include "a high draft pick" in addition to Dumervil. We were 13-3 and lost to the eventual champs due to horrible, one sided officiating. We don't need to overact by making a move like this. Hold steady and use the draft and 2nd/3rd tier free agents to round out the roster. Don't make a panic move in the hopes that it will be the magic elixir that will put us over the top. Those types of moves generally don't work out.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

yuck.

revis has been injury prone these 2 years. Love the guy when healthy, but a GREAT pass rush Dumervil for him and maybe also give up picks? No thanks!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
Agamemnon

**** that. Pass rusher >>> corner. I will seriously lose my **** if this happens.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Get rid of Dumervil AND pick up Revis? Where do I sign up?
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Ayers and a 3rd.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Interesting. I love Doom & all but...

Pass rushers aren't as rare as a corner that has an island named after him.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Bmore Manning

I would like to point out that it was pass rush and coverage issues that lost us the playoff game.. The pass rush didn't get home, and coverage was less than average..

The two work hand in hand..

To me, Revis is a game changer. He will completely eliminate a WR. That allows you to schematically do things different with the pass rush if need be. Doom didn't get home against the Ravens, as a result our coverage was exposed. There will be pass rushers in the draft and in FA, but there isn't a Revis Island in free agency, and a draftee would take time to develop into a shut down corner..
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #11
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
Ayers and a 3rd.
I was thinking ayers and a seventh and we get revis and Wilkerson
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

You would think if rhe Jets could afford this Sir Butt Fumble would have been cut by now.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Tough one. I have been one of the ones saying Doom is making more money than he should be so from the standpoint of trading Doom for Revis I'm for it. We could get a guy like Freeney to replace Doom for much cheaper. The part that makes me uncomfortable is giving up a high draft pick. Also, how much money does Revis want, and is he healthy?
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
yerner
Ring of Famer

it just feels like too much of an investment in one player. why not just throw that money at 3 or 4 free agents and still have the draft pick?
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

If it's Doom and our 2nd I could stomach it. Doom and our 3rd would be more like what I'd be interested in though.

I think Ayers could replace some of Doom's pass rush production given the chance and obviously would be an improvement against the run, so I can see where the FO's arithmetic adds up. If they view the gap between Doom and Ayers as less than the gap between Revis and Harris/Carter then it's all about how highly you value the pick going back.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #16
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Tough one. I have been one of the ones saying Doom is making more money than he should be so from the standpoint of trading Doom for Revis I'm for it. We could get a guy like Freeney to replace Doom for much cheaper. The part that makes me uncomfortable is giving up a high draft pick. Also, how much money does Revis want, and is he healthy?
BINGO... if the front office already knows we are in drivers set to maybe get freeney why not trade doom? I'd much rather have freeney and revis than doom and a 3rd
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
yerner
Ring of Famer

Just read this on a ESPN article. Doom is obviously overpaid.

"Defensive end: Elvis Dumervil
Cap difference: minus-$14m

Yes, we're telling you that Dumervil and the 12 times he got to the quarterback for a sack are overrated by that much. With a monstrous $15.6 million cap hit, this has to go down as one of the deals the Broncos got wrong years ago; they did not do a good job of judging the impact Dumervil has on the majority of his snaps. Sure, he had the 14th-highest pass rushing productivity score of all defensive ends, but eight costly penalties and some terrible run defense (his 4.8 run stop percentage was the 13th-lowest of all defensive ends) shows a player who has made a reputation on his highlight reel and not the body of his work."
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I suppose this is possible, but I have a hunch he's just regurgitating the unfounded rumors that are making the rounds. Most likely nothing to this. Can't really see the Broncos making this move.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #19
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We struggled for years to find a consistent pass rush. You guys want to get rid of that? We have had Champ for a long time, what has that gotten us? The coverage guys depend way more on the pass rush than the other way around. Count coverage sacks against the regular ones and tell me the difference.

Plus, has anyone around here gotten the head around that if we trade Doom and a high pick for him, we would have to sign him to a ridiculous contract. Like best defensive player type money. No way Jose. Leave that egotistical chump over by New York.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #20
SlyEli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
We struggled for years to find a consistent pass rush. You guys want to get rid of that? We have had Champ for a long time, what has that gotten us? The coverage guys depend way more on the pass rush than the other way around. Count coverage sacks against the regular ones and tell me the difference.

Plus, has anyone around here gotten the head around that if we trade Doom and a high pick for him, we would have to sign him to a ridiculous contract. Like best defensive player type money. No way Jose. Leave that egotistical chump over by New York.
Not Revis. And not with Von Miller.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #21
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I was thinking ayers and a seventh and we get revis and Wilkerson
Seems fair.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I suppose this is possible, but I have a hunch he's just regurgitating the unfounded rumors that are making the rounds. Most likely nothing to this. Can't really see the Broncos making this move.
I think Denver would be dumb not to make this reported offer & the Jets would be dumb to do this reported offer.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
Not Revis. And not with Von Miller.
Yeah but Von ain't going to have the same impact he had with a very competent pass rusher. A CB can be great and cover "half the field", but just like other teams did with Champ in his prime, you just throw it the other way. Plus with the evolution of the TE in the offensive schemes, you have that many other options to not challenge Revis.

Plus, what you talking about? Champ was a better corner than Revis in his prime. What did that get us? I remember way more Champ saying during those days the importance of having a consistent pass rush.

Last edited by Heyneck; 03-05-2013 at 07:27 AM..
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #24
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Yeah but Von ain't going to have the same impact he had with a very competent pass rusher. A CB can be great and cover "half the field", but just like other teams did with Champ in his prime, you just throw it the other way. Plus with the evolution of the TE in the offensive schemes, you have that many other options to not challenge Revis.
So you think our D with Ayers in for Doom & Revis in our secondary isn't netter than what we have at this point?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #25
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

this will be our undoing if true
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote