The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #526
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Great, great pick of Robert Woods there, Roh. He's pro-ready and will be a day 1 contributor at any wide receiver position. IMO, Woods is better than most of the receivers who were selected before him in this draft.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #527
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I really like Robert woods. He seems to be the forgotten man and will go late 2nd and just be a solid starter.

Great pick roh
Must be tough when a phenom like Marquise Lee shows up and kind of takes away your thunder. I think Woods will be a much better pro than a lot of people think. You're right. He's being taken for granted.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #528
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Nobody is forgetting about him. He is a second round guy in most drafts. He just isn't overly good at anything. He just gets it done. Good #2 in the NFL. Will never be a #1.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #529
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Nobody is forgetting about him. He is a second round guy in most drafts. He just isn't overly good at anything. He just gets it done. Good #2 in the NFL. Will never be a #1.
Whether or not he becomes a number one is beside the point. Never is a big word. Bradford needs a receiver he can depend on. All he's got on that team is one; Amendola. And while he's been injured, Bradford has zip. Woods would give him the guy he can rely on in every situation. Woods' strength is that he runs great routes and he catches everything that comes to him. That's what Bradford needs.

Bradford is singing that old Santana song, "I ain't got nobody, that I can depend on, no tengo a nadie."

Last edited by Rohirrim; 03-04-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Old 03-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #530
socalorado
Ring of Famer

So SEA got Okafor. Sweet.
I guess thats what you get when your owner and FO take the weekends off.
But dang, it was 82 and just too nice to stay inside.
Gonna be really interesting to see if Okafor is worth a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #531
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
So SEA got Okafor. Sweet.
I guess thats what you get when your owner and FO take the weekends off.
But dang, it was 82 and just too nice to stay inside.
Gonna be really interesting to see if Okafor is worth a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick.
This is my big head scratcher move so far, I debated taking him w alt before I moved up. I really don't think a lot of him though
We shall see I guess
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #532
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

OK, finally getting in to talk about Lacy. I want to throw out big kudos to the knowledge on this board. I think a lot of folks are overvaluing Lacy, but middle of the 2nd round is just about where he should go.

I think he is a great fit in SD. Ryan Matthews misses a lot of games every year, so Lacy will take the pounding off of him, especially in short yardage. Also, McCoy has just learned from John Fox, who makes good use of a two-back system.

Oh, and how many times did we see Matthews get stuffed in short yardage situations? Lacy will definitely be a chain mover for McCoy in his first year; it's going to be nice to have that kind of security blanket. And having a good locker room/good character guy with great work ethic is always a plus.

I am very pleased to get lacy here. I wanted to move down very badly, but that opportunity did not pan out. So, a very nice fit here for the chargers.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #533
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
OK, finally getting in to talk about Lacy. I want to throw out big kudos to the knowledge on this board. I think a lot of folks are overvaluing Lacy, but middle of the 2nd round is just about where he should go.

I think he is a great fit in SD. Ryan Matthews misses a lot of games every year, so Lacy will take the pounding off of him, especially in short yardage. Also, McCoy has just learned from John Fox, who makes good use of a two-back system.

Oh, and how many times did we see Matthews get stuffed in short yardage situations? Lacy will definitely be a chain mover for McCoy in his first year; it's going to be nice to have that kind of security blanket. And having a good locker room/good character guy with great work ethic is always a plus.

I am very pleased to get lacy here. I wanted to move down very badly, but that opportunity did not pan out. So, a very nice fit here for the chargers.

The problem with that pick is the team that took him.
So they have RB problems. They also have HUGE O-line problems,
and NO ONE to throw to.
Not to mention they have major issues at CB.
I would have passed on the pick myself and taken a RB later, but thats just me.
SD is a hard to to draft for, and he might be looking at it from a different perspective. Maybe more of a BPA situation.
Either way, Lacy brings big time swag to that team.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #534
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Lacy probably is BPA at this point in the draft.

JCM took and OL first round and can do so later as well if he chooses.

I really like the Lacy pick for SD, i pray he does not fall that far to him, I like the Ryan Matthews only option on SD
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #535
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Not really though. Harvin was 190 lbs of chisled muscle. And even with that, he's hurt half the season. Kendall Wright was 195 lbs. Austin plays somewhere around 170. He's the size of DeSean Jackson. Any time Jackson goes over the middle, he gets knocked out for 5 games. Amendola and Welker are about 10-15 lbs heavier and taller.

Austin is a bean pole. He will get Johnny Knox'd if he tries to run inside or play the slot in the NFL. It's just a matter of time. And I think, like DeSean Jackson, he'll fall into the 2nd Round of the draft because teams don't want to take a chance on drafting a situational and fragile player.

I think Austin will be an electric player for the 8 or so games he plays each season.
1. You can make claims that players like Percy Harvin or Kendall Wright weren't worth their mid-first round pick all you want, it doesn't change the fact that NFL teams will keep picking them there. Each year brings new rules which make the NFL more of a passing/Offense oriented league.

2. Tavon Austin is 5'084". Harvin is 5'11" and Kendall Wright is 5'10". To claim Austin is "a beanpole" because he is 174 lbs., while Percy Harvin is 190 lbs. is absurd. Harvin is almost 3 inches taller.

3. Austin has never missed a game in college. Your claim that Austin is "fragile" is simply not accurate.

4. DeSean Jackson is an inch taller and weighed less coming out than Tavon Austin. He averages about 1,000 receiving yards per season.

Last edited by pricejj; 03-04-2013 at 10:06 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #536
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Not really though. Harvin was 190 lbs of chisled muscle. And even with that, he's hurt half the season. Kendall Wright was 195 lbs. Austin plays somewhere around 170. He's the size of DeSean Jackson. Any time Jackson goes over the middle, he gets knocked out for 5 games. Amendola and Welker are about 10-15 lbs heavier and taller.

Austin is a bean pole. He will get Johnny Knox'd if he tries to run inside or play the slot in the NFL. It's just a matter of time. And I think, like DeSean Jackson, he'll fall into the 2nd Round of the draft because teams don't want to take a chance on drafting a situational and fragile player.

I think Austin will be an electric player for the 8 or so games he plays each season.
DeSean's missed 9 games in his 5 year career and the majority of which came last season. He's surprisingly not the least bit fragile for the amount of touches he gets.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #537
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

DeSean's missed 9 games in his 5 year career and the majority of which came last season. He's surprisingly not the least bit fragile for the amount of touches he gets.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #538
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
And several of those were from Concussions, not pure injury from getting hit. Dunta Robinson says What?

BTW, I was really wrong on Jackson. He has been twice the player I thought he would be in the NFL. You got me on that on Rev
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #539
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

for the sake of letting everyone know, at 11:07 am MST the Giants selected Kevin Minter, putting Sodak Bronco on the clock
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #540
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Love the Barrett Jones pick for an OL starved team like Pitt. His versatility will really shore up depth and solidify that unit.

Minter's obviously a complete steal midway into the 2nd round, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
And several of those were from Concussions, not pure injury from getting hit. Dunta Robinson says What?

BTW, I was really wrong on Jackson. He has been twice the player I thought he would be in the NFL. You got me on that on Rev
No way, man. I disliked Jackson, too. We both missed big on that.

I have a long-standing, genuine distaste for all WRs though.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #541
Bmore Manning

I tried moving up for Minter but Bowlen just dropped the deal when we had it worked out at the last minute..

And Broncoman4ever tried to rape me with his trade offer..
Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #542
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Minter is a steal there. Great pick.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #543
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

definitely great pick!

Giants got lucky with that to shore up their LB woes!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #544
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
1. You can make claims that players like Percy Harvin or Kendall Wright weren't worth their mid-first round pick all you want, it doesn't change the fact that NFL teams will keep picking them there. Each year brings new rules which make the NFL more of a passing/Offense oriented league.

2. Tavon Austin is 5'084". Harvin is 5'11" and Kendall Wright is 5'10". To claim Austin is "a beanpole" because he is 174 lbs., while Percy Harvin is 190 lbs. is absurd. Harvin is almost 3 inches taller.

3. Austin has never missed a game in college. Your claim that Austin is "fragile" is simply not accurate.

4. Comparing Tavon Austin to DeSean Jackson just because they both run in the 4.3's is laughable. DeSean Jackson in college was a decent receiver, but was more known for his special teams work, and straight line speed. Tavon Austin caught over 100 receptions twice (Jr. and Sr.), has great hands, and ability to change direction. Not to mention Austin's extensive use as an RB, which DeSean Jackson has never had. DeSean Jackson (like Eddie Royal) was always primarily a return man, and a developmental prospect at WR. Please spare us your Tavon Austin/Eddie Royal comparisons.

Any team that wants Percy Harvin is going to have to fork over a 2nd round pick and a boatload of cash (he wants a raise from $4M per year). Tavon Austin presents a younger, cheaper, and better option.
I'm sorry your life is so frustrating that you attack my opinion on a Bronco forum. I'm pretty sure I've never talked with you on here, but the last few posts I've made, you've taken it personal for some very odd reason. First, was that Damontre Moore might go in the 2nd Round after his horrific Combine experience, which looks to be the general consensus opinion as of right now. You thought that was laughable to say.

Now, you think it's laughable that I (correctly) point out that no NFL team has ever taken a WR as small as Tavon Austin in the 1st Round. Well, that's true. And the reason why is durability concerns.

I understand you think the Big 12 defenses are representative of NFL defenses for prospective durability questions. What you probably do not understand is that Tavon Austin had 14 rushing attempts all season until his final 4 Senior games. The three years prior combined, his Freshman - Junior seasons, he had 37 total rushes. DeSean Jackson, whom came out as a Junior, had 24 total rushes his first three seasons. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into Austin's "extensive use" as a running back.

Now, you think it's laughable that I compare DeSean Jackson to Tavon Austin. Maybe you don't remember that draft clearly, but I do. A month before the draft, Jackson was locked in as a 1st Round option because of how explosive and dynamic he was as a receiver and returner. Sound familiar?

You also said that Jackson and Austin's "stats" weren't similar in college. Lets compare:

Jackson (Freshman) - 38 Rec, 601 Yds, 7 TDs, 8 Rushes, 48 Yds.
Austin (Freshman) - 15 Rec, 151 Yds, 1 TD, 6 Rushes, 47 Yds, 1 TD.

Jackson (Sophomore) - 59 Rec, 1060 Yds, 9 TDs, 5 Rushes, 19 Yds.
Austin (Sophomore) - 58 Rec, 787 Yds, 8 TDs, 15 Rushes, 159 Yds, 1 TD.

Jackson (Junior) - 65 Rec, 762 Yds, 6 TDs, 11 Rushes, 132 Yds, 1 TD
Austin (Junior) - 101 Rec, 1186 Yds, 8 TDs, 16 Rushes, 182 Yds, 1 TD.

Jackson's QB his Junior year being the immortal Nate Longshore in a run first offense where Justin Forsett alone got over 300 carries. Austin meanwhile, had Geno Smith in a pass first offense with 100 more passing attempts (542) to (443).

In terms of special teams, apparently, what DeSean was "known for", he never returned Kickoffs in college. He was a very good punt returner because of his shiftiness though, Sound familiar? Austin, meanwhile, was primarily a Kickoff Returner in college, and a really good one. He didn't handle a lot of punts. Jackson had 6 return TDs, Austin had 5, with an extra year.

Now as far as the body goes, Tavon Austin's body looks nothing like Percy Harvin's. Tavon Austin's game is also nothing like Percy Harvin's. For 95% of his collegiate career, Austin ran short routes and didn't run the ball. His YPR was around 11. Harvin in his two years at Florida, averaged 15, which was what DeSean Jackson averaged as well. That's a significant difference from Austin's slant, bubble, and screen routes. Harvin is a unique player, Tavon Austin is nothing like him. Harvin got his weight to 200 lbs his rookie year and could bench press over 400 lbs. He's also as chisled as they come. Even with all that, he's injured to some degree most of the time.

Austin's game best equates to how the Pats use Wes Welker and how the Rams use Amendola. That's why I discussed their body size and weight. Austin will need to add 10-15 lbs to hold up over the middle. And even at that weight, Welker and Amendola get knocked senseless every game. Austin is a slot WR. He's not an outside guy, he's not a part time RB, he's a slot WR only. And he'll be the smallest one I can ever remember in the NFL. For that reason, I think he'll go in the 2nd Round as teams will be afraid he'll be folded like a lawn chair when NFL defensive players (not the Big 12) hit him across the middle. Any one that plays this game that weighs 170 lbs is fragile. Not because they aren't tough. But because the laws of science dictate it.

That is why I have the opinion I have on Tavon Austin. And that's why he's likely to go in the 2nd Round. Could the Pats or 49ers take him at the end of the 1st? Sure. Do I care if they do or do not? No. I just stated why *I* think he'll go in the 2nd Round. You think he'll go in the 1st Round. I don't care. I'm not going to attack someone because they think he will. And, if I did, I'd do a lot more research than you did.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #545
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I tried moving up for Minter but Bowlen just dropped the deal when we had it worked out at the last minute..

And Broncoman4ever tried to rape me with his trade offer..
Probably because you tried to trade me an imaginary 5th rounder that you didn't own....
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #546
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Probably because you tried to trade me an imaginary 5th rounder that you didn't own....
Btw, I'll trade you 6 eleventeenth round picks for your next selection.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #547
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Btw, I'll trade you 6 eleventeenth round picks for your next selection.
I'l better that and add two eighth rounders and a conditional 10th if my guy is not there
Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #548
NickStixx

So last night I was going back and forth between Barrett Jones and Travis Frederick. I watched more tape, did more research, and I just felt like it was best to go with Frederick for the Cowboys. I know some have said that Barret Jones can play all of those positions he played at Bama, but I'm sure he will end up being a Center or Guard. It seems almost as if he was the guy that they could move around and somewhat "hide" on the O-line there because of the great players he had around him.

So by going with Frederick, I think he would be a good fit at Guard as well. I like his ability to get to the second wave and get a block on a LB.
I guess I'll have to wait it out and see what the right choice would have been.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #549
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
However, he's not used across the middle. He wasn't used across the middle at Cal either. When he does go across the middle, he gets killed, which is probably why they don't ask him to do that very often. Or maybe they do, and he just won't. That was an issue in his contract negotiation.

My point, though, was that Austin is a short range slot guy. Or at least, that's how he's been used so far, and it seems unlikely he'll be an outside WR in the NFL due to his height. He'll be used on lots of gadget stuff like the Chiefs did with McCluster, but to be an early round draft pick, he's going to have to make his living going across the middle. I'm skeptical that's going to end well. It can't all be bubble screens, pitches, and kick returns.

So, that's my thought process on him. Maybe it's wrong. Time will tell. He's explosive and should be an exciting player to watch, but I'm not taking someone that small that early in the draft. He's either too situational and not used in the slot, or he is used in the slot and becomes an injury risk.

For what it's worth, I have the Lions taking him towards the top of the 2nd Round in my mock. So, it's not like I'm saying he has no value. I'm just kind of combining why I would not draft him early at all, along with why I think it's unlikely he goes in the 1st Round in the real NFL draft.

Apparently Pricejj was offended by that opinion.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #550
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
So last night I was going back and forth between Barrett Jones and Travis Frederick. I watched more tape, did more research, and I just felt like it was best to go with Frederick for the Cowboys. I know some have said that Barret Jones can play all of those positions he played at Bama, but I'm sure he will end up being a Center or Guard. It seems almost as if he was the guy that they could move around and somewhat "hide" on the O-line there because of the great players he had around him.

So by going with Frederick, I think he would be a good fit at Guard as well. I like his ability to get to the second wave and get a block on a LB.
I guess I'll have to wait it out and see what the right choice would have been.
Frederick was a much better guard IMHO, and I can not see why people liked him at Center. Jones, well, he was an all american at 2 positions for a reason. Kid is nasty and smart as hell. 2 things absolutely required of an NFL OL. He actually played better as the games went along and made some adjustments personally and even in the Line calls that I saw. NFL ready and hopefully recovered from his injury. Love the kid though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: