The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #676
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
Phew.....
I can not believe that Ericsons tiny little swedish brain found a way to throw away the win after he played so well.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #677
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I can not believe that Ericsons tiny little swedish brain found a way to throw away the win after he played so well.
That was without a doubt a gift that Kaner got with two minutes to go
Old 03-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #678
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Can't beat the worst team in the league. Sloppy terrible ****ing hockey. Can't believe I waisted 3 hours of my life watching that garbage.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #679
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

The NHL wheel of justice has spun, and Harry Z has received 4 games as a first time offender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=g4IEPmoh0ZQ

Neal gets 1 game for 2 leaping hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tEOfRxi2_Y

harry Z gets 4, I guess he should have said he was bracing for a collision.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #680
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
The NHL wheel of justice has spun, and Harry Z has received 4 games as a first time offender.

Some guy from Columbus left his feet and hit Hejduk. Not even close to that bad but Hejduk got hurt on the play. Luckily he came back a little later in the game.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #681
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:

It's ridiculous. Neal's hit on Cooter was infinitely worse (both feet clearly left the ice, puck nowhere around, targets the head, prior history) yet he actually received no punishment. He only got a game for the Giroux hit.

The NHL is just garbage.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #682
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Canes finally get a healthy roster for a three game stretch where they out score their opponents 13-5, then we lose Cam Ward to a 'lower body injury', and it could be severe. Mid way through the second Cam Ward was collided with and had his leg wrapped around the post as his body was forced into the net. Early speculation is its either a groin, or an achilles as it was the lower posterior leg that was pinned.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #683
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Flower is having a great year so our starting goaltending is fine....it's just that we cannot rely on Vokoun when Flower needs a break. Defense is trash yes as is the PK

In good news Geno is back to full contact practice.
I'm not 100% convinced with MAF but we will see what happens; playoffs are essentially right around the corner

I get the sense that either Bylsma or Shero don't really believe in him but there is no better alternative so it is what it is.

On another note, the Habs are a move or two away from joining the Eastern Conf conversation. They need a hard nosed d-man and probably another scoring (big) forward if they can get one. With Carey Price that's a dangerous team. They stood up to the Bruins pretty well tonight.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #684
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
I'm not 100% convinced with MAF but we will see what happens; playoffs are essentially right around the corner

I get the sense that either Bylsma or Shero don't really believe in him but there is no better alternative so it is what it is.

On another note, the Habs are a move or two away from joining the Eastern Conf conversation. They need a hard nosed d-man and probably another scoring (big) forward if they can get one. With Carey Price that's a dangerous team. They stood up to the Bruins pretty well tonight.
There is certainly a difference between playoff and regular season play but at least so far Flower is doing great.

BTW looks like the Caps are starting to get it together now so I'm sure you are happy now.

IMO..Therrien is the early Jack Adams favorite. I know Quenneville is more or less undefeated but MTL was crap before Iron Mike gave them real structure and a commitment to defense.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #685
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Can't beat the worst team in the league. Sloppy terrible ****ing hockey. Can't believe I waisted 3 hours of my life watching that garbage.
I'm glad that I didn't realize it was an afternoon game.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #686
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Some guy from Columbus left his feet and hit Hejduk. Not even close to that bad but Hejduk got hurt on the play. Luckily he came back a little later in the game.
link ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
It's ridiculous. Neal's hit on Cooter was infinitely worse (both feet clearly left the ice, puck nowhere around, targets the head, prior history) yet he actually received no punishment. He only got a game for the Giroux hit.

The NHL is just garbage.
I guess we should be happy he didnt get 20 like downie

That is my biggest problem with this, downie gets 20, harry Z gets 4, neal gets 1, for all doing the exact same thing, hit to the head, from in the air. Neither downie nor harry Z had a prior history at the time, but neal did, yet history is supposed to count for something.

I would have been fine with Z getting a game, he hit the head first, but 4 for a first time offender, in a shortened season. Come on. Shanny needs to try and be a little more consistent.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #687
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Av's suck
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #688
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Cam Ward is out 6-8 weeks with a sprained MCL. Looks like I got my premature wish for Dan Ellis after all. Too bad that was half a season ago...

A game in hand on Pittsburgh and three points out of second in the East, and catastrophe strikes.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #689
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
I'm just getting back to watching hockey regularly this season. The Calgary comeback game the other night was a lot of fun to watch, but that Sunday game was total ****. Anyone who's been following the Avs a little closer this offseason care to catch me up on where they stand roster wise?

I feel like from everything I read they supposedly have a group of good young stars (Landeskog, Duchene, Statsny, O'Reilly), but the defense and goaltending are lacking? Or is there a general depth lack in all areas? Granted, they're just 2 game out of the playoffs at this point (with 2 games in hand compared to the current 7 and 8 seeds). But then they're also only 2 games out of last place too, so it seems that after a few top teams in the west, it's one big clump of mediocrity?
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #690
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
I'm just getting back to watching hockey regularly this season. The Calgary comeback game the other night was a lot of fun to watch, but that Sunday game was total ****. Anyone who's been following the Avs a little closer this offseason care to catch me up on where they stand roster wise?

I feel like from everything I read they supposedly have a group of good young stars (Landeskog, Duchene, Statsny, O'Reilly), but the defense and goaltending are lacking? Or is there a general depth lack in all areas? Granted, they're just 2 game out of the playoffs at this point (with 2 games in hand compared to the current 7 and 8 seeds). But then they're also only 2 games out of last place too, so it seems that after a few top teams in the west, it's one big clump of mediocrity?
The goaltending (Varlamov) has been good and at times excellent. The problem is that he has a bunch of pylons on defense in front of him. And their troubles in getting the puck out of the zone and through the neutral zone is hurting the offense at the same time.

The Avs have only one true NHL caliber defenseman (Johnson, who is currently out with a concussion), one young guy who may eventually prove to be a good PMD and two guys who are at best the #6 guy on most teams (Wilson & Hejda). The rest (Hunwick, Zanon, O'Brien, O'Byrne) are NHL trash.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #691
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

And I almost forgot one other thing...so far, there's no evidence that Joe Sacco can coach on the NHL level.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #692
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
The goaltending (Varlamov) has been good and at times excellent. The problem is that he has a bunch of pylons on defense in front of him. And their troubles in getting the puck out of the zone and through the neutral zone is hurting the offense at the same time.

The Avs have only one true NHL caliber defenseman (Johnson, who is currently out with a concussion), one young guy who may eventually prove to be a good PMD and two guys who are at best the #6 guy on most teams (Wilson & Hejda). The rest (Hunwick, Zanon, O'Brien, O'Byrne) are NHL trash.
This is true, outside of Johnson and Hejda there is not a player on the D for the Avs who would be in the top 6 on most other teams. Outside of the top 6 forwards the same is true up front, too many AHL players wearing NHL sweaters.

Varlamov is good, but he is no Hasek and will never be. In today's NHL you need your goalie to be able to play his angles and he can only do that if he can trust his defense to cover the areas he will leave open. That is fine if your name is Lundquist or Brodeur and you have a defense you can work with, but when your defense consist mostly of people who shouldn't be in the league you either leave areas open or you play more conservative and can't cover as much of the net. The same was true for Jimmy Howard earlier when he had guys like Lashoff and Huskins play well over 15 minutes per game.

The Avs need to be able to attract 3rd liners and 2nd pairing d-men so they can fill out the roster with actual players, they can't be competitive the way things are now.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #693
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
This is true, outside of Johnson and Hejda there is not a player on the D for the Avs who would be in the top 6 on most other teams. Outside of the top 6 forwards the same is true up front, too many AHL players wearing NHL sweaters.

Varlamov is good, but he is no Hasek and will never be. In today's NHL you need your goalie to be able to play his angles and he can only do that if he can trust his defense to cover the areas he will leave open. That is fine if your name is Lundquist or Brodeur and you have a defense you can work with, but when your defense consist mostly of people who shouldn't be in the league you either leave areas open or you play more conservative and can't cover as much of the net. The same was true for Jimmy Howard earlier when he had guys like Lashoff and Huskins play well over 15 minutes per game.

The Avs need to be able to attract 3rd liners and 2nd pairing d-men so they can fill out the roster with actual players, they can't be competitive the way things are now.
I agree with this but should point out that the Avs have 3 solid lines when healthy (but no superstar).
McGinn-Dutchy-PAP
Landy-ROR-Downie (dominated last year)
Jones-Stastny-Hejduk

This will be Hejduk's last year and I dont really see another player that can fill in. And you could point out that Jones and Stastny disappear more or less every game. But nontheless, that is a helluva 3rd line.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #694
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post

Great, thanks for the rundown. Didn't realize it was that dire on D.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #695
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
That was without a doubt a gift that Kaner got with two minutes to go
I thought the streak was over until that delay penalty.

Hawks have been out hussled the last 2 games but are still finding ways to win.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #696
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I thought the streak was over until that delay penalty.

Hawks have been out hussled the last 2 games but are still finding ways to win.
Yeah, and I have no idea how they're doing it.

Also just so I don't get accused of being a maven, win or lose against the Avs on Wednesday I won't be on the 'Mane
Old 03-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #697
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Yeah, and I have no idea how they're doing it.

Also just so I don't get accused of being a maven, win or lose against the Avs on Wednesday I won't be on the 'Mane
In the Wings game it was goaltending, if Crawford doesn't make 4 or 5 unbelievable stops in the last half of the game they lose by 3 goals easy.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #698
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
There is certainly a difference between playoff and regular season play but at least so far Flower is doing great.

BTW looks like the Caps are starting to get it together now so I'm sure you are happy now.

IMO..Therrien is the early Jack Adams favorite. I know Quenneville is more or less undefeated but MTL was crap before Iron Mike gave them real structure and a commitment to defense.
re: caps; since it is a short season I would rather tank my friend. It's a poorly constructed team, but if they shock me so be it, I won't complain if they make a deep playoff run (highly unlikely IMO).

It's not so much that they let Semin walk, it's that you can't replace him with ****ing Wolski, who is terrible and now a healthy scratch (who didn't see that coming).

It's Ovie, Ribeiro, Brouwer and a bunch of 3rd and 4th line grinders. Backstrom is MIA and I don't think he has recovered from that concussion/injury from last season and the KHL this year.

Agree completely on Therien. It seems he learned a lot since his early days in montreal and then pittsburgh. He's still the same strict guy but it seems he knows how to push the buttons and give and take a little bit better than before.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #699
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

Who knows what kind of goalie Varly will end up being, hes still really young. Having the worst D in the league in front of him, it's a miracle he has the stats he does. I'm liking this Barrie kid...I hope they don't send him back down to Lake Erie when Wilson and Johnson come back. I'd rather scratch Hunwick, O'Bryne and O'Brien. Though I'm sure O'Bryne will stay. Sacco seems to love the turd.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #700
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
link ?

I guess we should be happy he didnt get 20 like downie

That is my biggest problem with this, downie gets 20, harry Z gets 4, neal gets 1, for all doing the exact same thing, hit to the head, from in the air. Neither downie nor harry Z had a prior history at the time, but neal did, yet history is supposed to count for something.

I would have been fine with Z getting a game, he hit the head first, but 4 for a first time offender, in a shortened season. Come on. Shanny needs to try and be a little more consistent.
Just seen it happen during the game. The guy had both feet off the ice when he hit Hejduk. Luckily he wasn't hurt badly. Shaken up and initially went to the locker room but came back.