The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default Flacco: Highest paid QB in NFL history

6 years 120 mil

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...cording-source
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
ghostofjosh

what a joke..if Rahim Moore tips that ball,nobody is even talking about Flacco..120 million..omfg
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
schaaf

hahahaha
Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofjosh View Post
what a joke..if Rahim Moore tips that ball,nobody is even talking about Flacco..120 million..omfg
Flacco really should wire Rahim an agent's cut, what 12%?
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

That's really something.. truly a game of inches.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

This is Flacco's team now. Ravens used to win with defense and Flacco benefitted from that. Now with all this money going into his pocket and the defense getting old, it's going to be interesting to see if the ratbirds can continue the winning. Ray-ray is gone, there's no more "win it all for Ray" to motivate this team.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Orange&BlueMohawk

Flacco is terrible. At least the Ravens will be in the gutter for 6 years. One less team to deal with.

And the Ravens are stupid for paying that.

And now I do this.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Question: Did Joe Flacco just have the greatest contract year of all-time in any sport?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
This is Flacco's team now. Ravens used to win with defense and Flacco benefitted from that. Now with all this money going into his pocket and the defense getting old, it's going to be interesting to see if the ratbirds can continue the winning. Ray-ray is gone, there's no more "win it all for Ray" to motivate this team.
Exactly. I think the Ravens will regret this. I still am not a believer that Flacco is an elite QB. Double OT, Moore and nothing. The best part of the Pats is their offense and the defense took care of that. If we lob Flacco as an elite QB, what does that make Dilfer, Hostetler, or Brad Johnson? You can say yeah but or if or whatever, the defense did it and now the Ravens have put all their money on an illusion.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Joe "Livin' on a Prayer" Flacco will come back down to Earth. And so will the Ravens. What a horrible move.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
extralife
Ring of Famer

so does this mean Aaron Rodgers gets like 30 million a year when he's up for a new deal?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I am not as down on Flacco as everyone else. I think he's got some fine measurables, and he's finally started to grow into them as a pro. But to make him the highest paid player of all time. Wow. That seems excessive.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Joe "Livin' on a Prayer" Flacco will come back down to Earth. And so will the Ravens. What a horrible move.
No ****! I can't imagine those prayers getting answered this season. I'm guessing we see a ton of those deep bombs picked off. That Raven offense sure will need some ref help like they got throughout the post season to make another run like that.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

OMG - talk about over reaction to one nice post season. For real, 1 missed easy tip pass and that's like an 85-90 million dollar deal.

Can't blame the guy for getting the money but you sure can look at that FO and say WTF? Guess that team won't be signing many good FA's for a long time. They better draft like there's no tomorrow.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Question: Did Joe Flacco just have the greatest contract year of all-time in any sport?
Matt Cassel parlayed the 2008 season in New England into a fat contract.

Dude had basically warmed the bench since he was in high school before that season.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

15 mins
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #18
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Matt Cassel parlayed the 2008 season in New England into a fat contract.

Dude had basically warmed the bench since he was in high school before that season.
Ooooh, yeah that's a great point. Flacco at least had played multiple seasons, been in the playoffs before, etc.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #19
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
OMG - talk about over reaction to one nice post season. For real, 1 missed easy tip pass and that's like an 85-90 million dollar deal.

Can't blame the guy for getting the money but you sure can look at that FO and say WTF? Guess that team won't be signing many good FA's for a long time. They better draft like there's no tomorrow.
But did they have a choice? After a Super Bowl win do you risk another team grossly overpaying him? We know here that QBs don't just grow on trees.

I think they were ****ed either way.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

All about timing. But what were the Ratbirds going to do, there was no way they could let the Super Bowl winning QB walk without a "Steve Young" back-up in wings.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #21
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

So we are paying the same thing without the result. Get some glasses bros, dude played a hell of a postseason and gave the Ravens their 2nd Superbowl tying them with a team who we all know pretty well.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #22
Bacchus

Quote:
But did they have a choice? After a Super Bowl win do you risk another team grossly overpaying him? We know here that QBs don't just grow on trees.

I think you hit it on the head right there. They had no other choice. They have no back-up there are no FA QBs and the draft sucks. Flacco was playing himself out of a big contract all year last season. But he threw 11 TDs and 0 ints in the playoffs. No the Ravens have to hope the QB they saw in the playoffs is the one they get for the next 6 years.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #23
Bacchus

Quote:

I think you hit it on the head right there. They had no other choice. They have no back-up there are no FA QBs and the draft sucks. Flacco was playing himself out of a big contract all year last season. But he threw 11 TDs and 0 ints in the playoffs. No the Ravens have to hope the QB they saw in the playoffs is the one they get for the next 6 years.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Most of their big plays in the playoffs were "huck it up & hope" type plays. 50/50 balls where either the receiver made a good play or the DB is a ****ing dumb ass.

I guess they can hope that 4 game luck holds up & he is not what everyone saw over 16 games.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
I don't know if I would say he had the best athletic performance in a contract year, but the other factors that went along with it made it a very favorable contract year. The Ravens are losing the face of thier franchise this year, along with two other possible hall of fame players. The team is in a state of transition coming off a super win. There is a lot of pressure on the management to maintain whatever stability they can on the roster. Add in the MVP and you have the perfect storm for the kind of money Flacco was able to demand.

That having been said, and while I don't think Flacco is good enough to justify that kind of money, this is not a contract based off a single game, or years performance. What I wonder is how much money the Broncos would be willing to spend on a 28 year old quarterback who has won a playoff game in every one of the 5 seasons since he started in the league as a rookie, won a superbowl, and is a career 9-4 in post season play.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote