The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default Looking forward to the day Cable Companies become obsolete.

Just read about how CableVision is suing Viacom over on bundling channels that send customers bills through the roof. Here's the story:

Quote:
"The manner in which Viacom sells its programming is illegal, anti-consumer and wrong," Cablevision said. "Viacom effectively forces Cablevision's customers to pay for and receive little-watched channels in order to get the channels they actually want."

Well, well, well. Sure sounds as if the nation's fifth-largest cable company, operating primarily on the East Coast, is saying the same thing I've been saying for years: Cable and satellite subscribers should pay only for the channels they want.

Or is it?

After the lawsuit was announced this week, I spoke with Charlie Schueler, Cablevision's executive vice president of communications. I asked what a legal win for the company would mean for Cablevision subscribers.

Would it mean lower bills? Would it mean so-called a la carte programming that is, allowing subscribers to pick their own channel lineup from a menu of options?

"Without forced bundling," Schueler said, "cable providers could tailor smaller and lower-priced packages to specific audiences."

OK, but that basically means customers would still have to buy a package of channels, rather than pick the channels they want.

"We would offer more flexibility to customers," Schueler replied. "We would favor anything that offers broader choices and flexibility for customers."

But you're not saying the words. Will you offer a la carte programming?

"Choice and flexibility are the words I'll offer."

Quote:
Cable and satellite companies will pocket an average $73.44 per household for video services this year, according to market researcher SNL Kagan. That's up nearly 11% since 2010.

Chances are, your paycheck hasn't gone up 11% over the last few years.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...23,full.column

Looking forward to the day Cable Companies become obsolete, and at this current rate with Cable/Satellite bills, it will be around 200 dollars/month or more in less than 10 years. You probably don't even watch 80 percent of the available channels but your paying for them anyway. It's a joke.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

it is a joke what we pay for internet and cable tv. Throw in cell phone bills. No wonder they say families don't go camping/fishing/boating etc as much as they used to. It's added another 2-3 thousand a yr to the family budget. Hell maybe more.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Cable companies are so scared of a la carte programming. Is grandma going to buy, for example ESPN, which she never watches? We will see if changes happen one day. I doubt it anytime soon or ever. Even your above article proves it.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
Bacchus

I don't have cable. I have Roku, netflix and Hulu. Costs me a total of $17 a month. I watch all my sporting events on the internet so keep those links coming!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Start here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quit complaining and stop paying.

There are plenty of alternatives that cost much less.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I don't have cable. I have Roku, netflix and Hulu. Costs me a total of $17 a month. I watch all my sporting events on the internet so keep those links coming!!!!
The only times I've had cable in the last half-decade was when it was offered free with my internet service. As soon as they want real money for it its back to Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon on Demand (included with my Prime account), and good ol' fashioned antenna.

People don't realize what over the air broadcasting offers post-digital transition. All the major networks broadcast in uncompressed HD, far better picture quality than what cable or satellite provide. At the same time the added bandwidth has resulted in PBS featuring 4 different channels (PBS, PBS Create, PBS Kids, and PBS community calendar), along with most networks spinning off their own 24/7 weather and traffic sub-channel.

Cable companies are on their way out. We are going to see an a la carte service offered via internet streaming in the not too distant future and when we do they're toast.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
The only times I've had cable in the last half-decade was when it was offered free with my internet service. As soon as they want real money for it its back to Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon on Demand (included with my Prime account), and good ol' fashioned antenna.

People don't realize what over the air broadcasting offers post-digital transition. All the major networks broadcast in uncompressed HD, far better picture quality than what cable or satellite provide. At the same time the added bandwidth has resulted in PBS featuring 4 different channels (PBS, PBS Create, PBS Kids, and PBS community calendar), along with most networks spinning off their own 24/7 weather and traffic sub-channel.

Cable companies are on their way out. We are going to see an a la carte service offered via internet streaming in the not too distant future and when we do they're toast.
I have been doing this for 1.5 years and I'll neve rhave cable or satellite again. I figure sometime in the furture you will just be able to goto the HBO website and pay them and you can stream whatever you want right off the internet.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
it is a joke what we pay for internet and cable tv. Throw in cell phone bills. No wonder they say families don't go camping/fishing/boating etc as much as they used to. It's added another 2-3 thousand a yr to the family budget. Hell maybe more.
Those are luxuries. Don't have to have them.

As people have said: Netflix + Hulu + Amazon under $25.00 a month. What most people spend in one night going to get a drink and dinner.

High-speed internet service is as cheap as $19.99 too -- entertainment for under $50.00 a month.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
pricejj
jungle

I cut the cord a year ago and haven't looked back. Regular old cheap antenna, Roku, Netflix...as per others.

Plus I have a HDHomerun that works as a TV tuner to my laptop (for over the air Broncos games). Windows Media Player DVR.

Last edited by pricejj; 03-01-2013 at 12:38 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Powderaddict

I got cable for the first time in over a decade just a couple months ago. The only reason is that it lowered my internet bill, and gave me faster internet speeds. For 1 year my internet bill will be lower, and I have faster speeds. I very rarely turn on the cable box either.

I see people all the time who are behind on their water, behind on their electricity, behind on their mortgage, but current on their cell phone (with expensive data plans of course) and current on their cable. Seems like many people have their priorities completely out of whack!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Just wondering what proof it is you have that cable companies are on their way out. This not so distant future you speak of is probably what, 30-50 years from now?
I think most poor people know what over the air broadcasting is. And still not everybody can get it. These are people that don't have TVs that are newer than 2007, and can't afford a converter box. I work for a cable company. So I guess I should start looking for another job before my job disappears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
I got cable for the first time in over a decade just a couple months ago. The only reason is that it lowered my internet bill, and gave me faster internet speeds. For 1 year my internet bill will be lower, and I have faster speeds. I very rarely turn on the cable box either.

I see people all the time who are behind on their water, behind on their electricity, behind on their mortgage, but current on their cell phone (with expensive data plans of course) and current on their cable. Seems like many people have their priorities completely out of whack!
That is cause most people are silly.

Cable free since Hurricane Katrina.

Smartphone free since August 2012.

The Req Way!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
BroncoBeavis

I just can't do the no ESPN thing. I keep the basic-est of basic cable pretty much just for that.

The cable/network cartel won't be broken until quality content builds up outside the cartel. As soon as the cable TV networks see serious content competition outside of cable, they'll have to start opening their own content beyond the coax as well. Then they'll slip out for a pack of smokes on the cable companies in a hurry so their content can reach the newer streaming audience.

Which reminds me, I need to check out House of Cards on Netflix, just to support the concept. Anyone watched it yet?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

They will evolve into cloud computing companies. If you ever wanted to build your own PC, now is the time to do it, because it won't be long until people plug into their wall for computing power.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I just can't do the no ESPN thing. I keep the basic-est of basic cable pretty much just for that.

The cable/network cartel won't be broken until quality content builds up outside the cartel. As soon as the cable TV networks see serious content competition outside of cable, they'll have to start opening their own content beyond the coax as well. Then they'll slip out for a pack of smokes on the cable companies in a hurry so their content can reach the newer streaming audience.

Which reminds me, I need to check out House of Cards on Netflix, just to support the concept. Anyone watched it yet?
I'm on the 6th episode. It is good, not as good as West Wing though.

West Wing shows what can be great about politics. House of Cards shows you what is bad about Politics. West Wing is streaming now as well so I have been watching both.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Karlos Dansby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Just read about how CableVision is suing Viacom over on bundling channels that send customers bills through the roof. Here's the story:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...23,full.column

Looking forward to the day Cable Companies become obsolete, and at this current rate with Cable/Satellite bills, it will be around 200 dollars/month or more in less than 10 years. You probably don't even watch 80 percent of the available channels but your paying for them anyway. It's a joke.
Someday will be within 5 years. The buzzards are already circling. Streaming total content television from your phone, tablet, computer and flat panel will be the norm soon. Satellite TV will basically be CD like obsolete by 2020. It will also ensure that the remaining 1 hour of work that actually gets done in an office will be down to about 7 minutes.

Last edited by razorwire77; 03-01-2013 at 09:36 AM..
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

Same here. I have a hard time not having ESPN. I can't imaging collage football without it. My wife would throw a fit about Bravo. Those 2 networks aside I could cut the cord no problem.

For those of you who have cut the cord what do you for sports programing that is only on ESPN? NBA, NCAA ect.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Someday will be within 5 years. The buzzards are already circling. Streaming total content television from your phone, tablet, computer and flat panel will be the norm soon. Satellite TV will basically be CD like obsolete by 2020. It will also ensure that the remaining 1 hour of work that actually gets done in an office will be down to about 7 minutes.
Who said CD's are obsolete! It took me 35 years to build my wall of CD's and records. I still even have a storage tub full of 78's.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Same here. I have a hard time not having ESPN. I can't imaging collage football without it. My wife would throw a fit about Bravo. Those 2 networks aside I could cut the cord no problem.

For those of you who have cut the cord what do you for sports programing that is only on ESPN? NBA, NCAA ect.
You can watch espn on the internet 24/7, same with the NFL network during football season.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Karlos Dansby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Who said CD's are obsolete! It took me 35 years to build my wall of CD's and records. I still even have a storage tub full of 78's.
I hear you. I finally started converting music over in December.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
You can watch espn on the internet 24/7, same with the NFL network during football season.
ESPN requires you to sign in with your TV provider info. How do you get around that?

Programs on ESPN require you to sign-in with your TV provider.

Need help? Check FAQs or call 888-549-ESPN.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Google Fiber will make cable companies obsolete unless they change their ways of thinking.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #24
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Google Fiber will make cable companies obsolete unless they change their ways of thinking.
How is that?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
ESPN requires you to sign in with your TV provider info. How do you get around that?

Programs on ESPN require you to sign-in with your TV provider.

Need help? Check FAQs or call 888-549-ESPN.
Hook a computer up to your TV and stream anything you want on the internet.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote