The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #101
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
If those stats make Bell a stud, what would you call an RB whose college career stats are:

26 College Games: 573 carries, 3,243 yards, 5.7 YPC, 36 TDs. 33 catches, 338 yards and 2 TDs receiving.

Answer: A 21 year old (his age today) Denver Broncos RB drafted last year in the 3rd round.
Good point, this proves that colleges stats don't mean anything.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #102
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The difference between Bell and Jackson is that Jackson has proven he can do it in the NFL and Bell has not. With Manning and a win now team, if Jackson can come at a reasonable contract then it makes sense to get him. However, I'm in no way opposed to the Bronco drafting Bell or another young RB instead of bringing in Jackson.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #103
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
If those stats make Bell a stud, what would you call an RB whose college career stats are:

26 College Games: 573 carries, 3,243 yards, 5.7 YPC, 36 TDs. 33 catches, 338 yards and 2 TDs receiving.

Answer: A 21 year old (his age today) Denver Broncos RB drafted last year in the 3rd round.
I think Bell and Hillman would be a tremendous combo. It would cause headaches for defense across the league. They are not similar players at all. Hillman was playing against teams like Cal Poly, Navy, Air Force, New Mexico State, UNLV, etc. putting up those great numbers. He did solid against Michigan, Missouri and Wyoming -- but the first two teams weren't good when he played them. When he faced real competition: (really only twice -- Boise State and Utah) -- he didn't perform and he left a lot on the field last year.

I don't ever think he will be a feature back in the league, but maybe I'm wrong. We need thunder to Ronnie's lightning.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #104
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
3 years would be great, I bet it will be a 5 year deal.

McGahee is a much better RB than Moreno. I'd bring them all to camp and cut who doesn't work out. My feeling is Moreno would be gone. Jackson and Mcgahee would be a very good combination.
McGahee didn't show he was much better than Moreno last year. Actually you could argue that once KM was starting, we became a more complete and efficient offense. Plus, why have 2 30 year old backs? KM ain't going anywhere dude. If we sign a vet, WM is out of here.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #105
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
The difference between Bell and Jackson is that Jackson has proven he can do it in the NFL and Bell has not. With Manning and a win now team, if Jackson can come at a reasonable contract then it makes sense to get him. However, I'm in no way opposed to the Bronco drafting Bell or another young RB instead of bringing in Jackson.
Yeah, plus Jackson has seen about every NFL defense and what they all do. Jackson know what to do in a number of different circumstances that NFL defenses can throw at him, which will benefit Peyton Manning immensely.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #106
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Get Jackson and Bell. Keep Hillman. Cut McGahee and Moreno and don't re-sign that Lance Turdball. Keep Jeremiah Johnson or Mario Fannin on the PS. Just have an awesome stable of backs. Lolololol MADDENSTYLEEE
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #107
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2win View Post
Yeah, plus Jackson has seen about every NFL defense and what they all do. Jackson know what to do in a number of different circumstances that NFL defenses can throw at him, which will benefit Peyton Manning immensely.
Plus keep in mind SJ has been the Offense in STL since Bulger started to play like crap. Dude has faced 8-9 man fronts all his career and thrived. The nearest back that reminds me to him is Marshawn Lynch. Which is another case for McD to do a total double facepalm. We could have had him, we had a better pick, but noooooo, McD has to dig into his inner hoody and get Maroney.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #108
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Get Jackson and Bell. Keep Hillman. Cut McGahee and Moreno and don't re-sign that Lance Turdball. Keep Jeremiah Johnson or Mario Fannin on the PS. Just have an awesome stable of backs. Lolololol MADDENSTYLEEE
would not be mad with this scenario. I just think deep down, Fox and Elway have a crush or a mayor plan for Moreno.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #109
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Plus keep in mind SJ has been the Offense in STL since Bulger started to play like crap. Dude has faced 8-9 man fronts all his career and thrived. The nearest back that reminds me to him is Marshawn Lynch. Which is another case for McD to do a total double facepalm. We could have had him, we had a better pick, but noooooo, McD has to dig into his inner hoody and get Maroney.
and Shanny could have drafted Jackson... just saying.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #110
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
and Shanny could have drafted Jackson... just saying.
Love Shanny but that still makes me mad. I remember them having Jackson on cam when the Broncos were selecting because it made sense -- they took DJ Williams and he basically **** himself.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #111
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Love Shanny but that still makes me mad. I remember them having Jackson on cam when the Broncos were selecting because it made sense -- they took DJ Williams and he basically **** himself.
Yep, what a huge disappointment. Can you imagine the numbers Jackson could have put up in Shanny's system? I think the Broncos traded down and with St. Louis and they took Jackson, right? Either way, it was a head scratcher.

Some mocks have the Broncos taking Lacey with the #28 pick. That would definitely be interesting...
Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #112
SlyEli

Quote:
Yep, what a huge disappointment. Can you imagine the numbers Jackson could have put up in Shanny's system? I think the Broncos traded down and with St. Louis and they took Jackson, right? Either way, it was a head scratcher.

Some mocks have the Broncos taking Lacey with the #28 pick. That would definitely be interesting...
Lacy at 28 isn't a great value. Just like richardson at #3 wash't a good value last season in a year where doug martin and david wilson were picked at #31 and #32. Lacy was so much bigger and stronger than every defender he went against in college football, and he had one of the best o-lines of all time paving the way for him. None of that will be true in the NFL
Old 02-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #113
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:

Love it but, no way he's at 28
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #114
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I'd sign Steven Jackson if his asking price isn't out of line....you simply can't overpay for a RB that will be 30 next season.

He's getting older, but has held up well....and he's built for longevity.

I think he could have 3 more productive seasons, which would coincide well with the 3 or 4 years Denver will have with Peyton Manning.

Jackson runs tough, is a very good receiver out of the backfield, is a better pass blocker than he is given credit for, and is a leader.

I'm sure he really wants to play for a good team that has a chance of winning a Super Bowl.

The Rams haven't had a winning season during his entire career.

I wouldn't expect any 300+ carries and 1400 yard rushing seasons from Steven Jackson.

I'd expect something in the neighborhood of 225 carries and 1,000+ yards, with 40+ receptions, and stellar pass protection.

More than anything, I'd expect him to step it up in the playoffs and not limp off the field when the team needs him the most ala Knowshon Moreno.

I don't see him as a long term solution, but a perfect compliment to Peyton Manning for a nice 3 year Super Bowl run....if he's willing to take a deal in line with the realization that he is a 30 year old RB.
Sounds good to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Elway offered him a contract. They basically have nothing at RB right now, just hopes, prayers, and ST'rs.

They're very thin at RB, and you can't count on the draft to provide all of the depth and competition they need.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #115
spiralism

Fox doesnt trust rookie RBs. He normally only allows them to contribute in rotation, look at how he used Hillman last year for example. Even in Jonathan Stewart's rookie year he only got about a third of the touches behind DeAngelo Williams. With the Manning situation giving us a limited window, signing Jackson would make a hell of a lot of sense, Fox hasnt the time to groom a rookie runner.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #116
SlyEli

I don't think mcgahee gets enough credit here. I think he's still got some in the tank. I think the speed back element is missing more. I don't have a ton of faith in hillman
Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #117
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Get him.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #118
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
I don't think mcgahee gets enough credit here. I think he's still got some in the tank. I think the speed back element is missing more. I don't have a ton of faith in hillman
Hillman put up 80+ yards filling in after KM went down. He is not going to be a move the pile RB but he is fine as a 3rd down type back.

I don't care if McGhee comes back as long as we get a big RB in the draft to groom to replace him.

I am hoping John can use Bobby Turners metric's to find a solid RB in the mid to late rounds we can use to grind out some games. A Clinton Portis would be nice but this team needs a guy more like MA was. Tough hard hitting smart RB minus the weed blowing.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #119
SlyEli

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Hillman put up 80+ yards filling in after KM went down. He is not going to be a move the pile RB but he is fine as a 3rd down type back.

I don't care if McGhee comes back as long as we get a big RB in the draft to groom to replace him.

I am hoping John can use Bobby Turners metric's to find a solid RB in the mid to late rounds we can use to grind out some games. A Clinton Portis would be nice but this team needs a guy more like MA was. Tough hard hitting smart RB minus the weed blowing.
I agree, but i think the nfl is moving more towards speed backs anyway with the spread offenses becoming all the rage. It's rare that you see an i-formation with a big bruising fullback and running back anymore. Don't get me wrong, you still need a short yardage guy. But I don't think the big bruisers are as valuable anymore
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #120
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

Bring him in - not only for the bruising runs, but also for the 40+ catches he averages per year, even had a 90 catch season in '06.
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote