The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #151
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

2nd and another mid pick for Alex Smith is like paying $10000 to upgrade your 32 inch CRT TV to a 37 inch flat screen. Yes it's an upgrade. No, it's not that much of an upgrade considering the cost.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #152
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
There is speculation from some reputable draft guru's and people in Twitter land and on various websites that the Chiefs made the trade for Alex Smith because they feel like they have potential suitors for #1 overall. If that is true, they could get back some of what they gave up. Problem is, who is going to move up to #1 in this draft? That is the only way they can salvage the mess they just made.
It is easy to move up these days with the rookie salary cap. Teams no longer have to shell out $30 million bonuses.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #153
CEH
Ring of Famer

So you have a team with 6 pro bowlers, the #5 rushing attack in the NFL , many solid defensive players and no QB plus the first pick in teh draft

Who can get get with the first pick or your 2nd round pick that will come in and be better in Reid's WCO than Smith this year and next.

Atleast with Smith you have a good WCO QB who will not turn the ball over and with a solid rushing attack can win games. Will he win shootouts no but he can win the occasional shootout like the SF playoff game with NO

I think KC will be a major contender this year in the AFCW

Last edited by CEH; 02-28-2013 at 10:02 AM..
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #154
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
So you have a team with 6 pro bowlers, the #5 rushing attack in the NFL , many solid defensive players and no QB plus the first pick in teh draft

Who can get get with the first pick or your 2nd round pick that will come in and be better in Reid's WCO than Smith this year and next.

Atleast with Smith you have a good WCO QB who will not turn the ball over and with a solid rushing attack can win games. Will he win shootouts no but he can win the occasional shootout like the SF playoff game with NO

I think KC will be a major contender this year in the AFCW
No, assuming we stay healthy, we should run away with the division. Much like the Colts did year after year.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #155
FearLanier

The buzz in KC is that Reid and Dorsey know that there is quite a bit of interest in the 1st overall pick.

From what I've heard, the Raiders, Eagles and Browns all love Geno Smith.

I can see a situation where we trade to 4 with the Eagles and pick up a draft pick, still get a great player, and get the chance to screw the Raiders over.

I'd love that if it happened.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #156
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I, frankly, don't see the upgrade here, Smith has underperformed most of his career until he acquired a great supporting cast and a great QB coach.
Well that kinda cuts both ways. SF was garbage with or without Smith up until last year (when Smith was reborn under JH). I don't think anyone thinks he's the kind of guy that will make a garbage team competitive. But there's only 3 or 4 of those guys in the league.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #157
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I doubt there's much interest in trading up to the #1 pick of the draft but ok.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #158
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
The buzz in KC is that Reid and Dorsey know that there is quite a bit of interest in the 1st overall pick.

I can see a situation where we trade to 4 with the Eagles and pick up a draft pick, still get a great player, and get the chance to screw the Raiders over.

If the Chiefs trade down, and recover that second-round pick, this actually might work for them. I think that the second round is where the true draft value is going to be. Losing the second-round pick is the reason why this deal makes no sense...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #159
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:

Everything I have heard on NFL live and the sports writers say that the QB's won't go until the end of the 1st or early 2nd. I do not think a qb will go #1 overall this year, unless the Browns get antsy I don't see a QB going top 5 or even 10 this year.

Oakland said they are going to restructure Palmer and put in packages for that kid they got in the supplemental draft. The Eagles redid Vick's deal and they have Foals. Browns would be the only team I could see taking a QB high and I bet even they try to drop a couple slots to get him.

It would be funny to see Smith go 1st overall then do well for another team for 16 years though!

I could see kFc trying to trade down a couple slots and getting maybe the 2nd or 3rd best OT and trying to get a 2nd or 3 back to make up for the trade loss. I think at this point they should take the guy they want rather than settle for what is left over if they trade down.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #160
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I doubt the Browns trade up to the #1 for a QB. They don't need a LT either. So who else is worth it to trade up to the #1 spot?

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate and say that kc does find a trading partner. If they do manage to trade down, no one is going to give them much in trade, that is, it's not going to be an RG3/Skins type of trade. They will probably swap firsts, and pick up an additional pick like a second, and then what else? If the strength of this draft is in the 2nd-3rd round, do you honestly think other teams are going to give those picks up in trade?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #161
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

In 77 career starts, Alex Smith has thrown for 300 yards exactly three times.

He has shown that he can win games...when coupled with a top 5 defense.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #162
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I doubt the Browns trade up to the #1 for a QB. They don't need a LT either. So who else is worth it to trade up to the #1 spot?

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate and say that kc does find a trading partner. If they do manage to trade down, no one is going to give them much in trade, that is, it's not going to be an RG3/Skins type of trade. They will probably swap firsts, and pick up an additional pick like a second, and then what else? If the strength of this draft is in the 2nd-3rd round, do you honestly think other teams are going to give those picks up in trade?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills wanted to trade up. Their owner did come out and say that they want their QB and they'll trade up to do it.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #163
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
There is speculation from some reputable draft guru's and people in Twitter land and on various websites that the Chiefs made the trade for Alex Smith because they feel like they have potential suitors for #1 overall. If that is true, they could get back some of what they gave up. Problem is, who is going to move up to #1 in this draft? That is the only way they can salvage the mess they just made.
That is just to quiet the fans down in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #164
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
I'm really hoping that the Bills want to trade up. Their owner did come out and say that they want their QB and they'll trade up to do it.
Fixed that for you.

I'd be shocked if anyone traded for the #1 pick this year. But then again, I was shocked to see a team giving up a 2nd round pick (much less two!) for Alex Smith.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #165
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
I think that is the case. I'm sure some teams have had discussions with them already about moving up and floated numbers. I will say I do not expect compensation to be near what Washington gave up last year to move up. But, some GM might fall in love with a player(and trying to save their job) and pony up the picks. We will see how much the Chiefs get. The Chiefs with Dorsey/Reid are in KC for the long haul. All it takes is one desperate team to move up.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #166
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I can't see any teams than the Bills, Cardinals or Jets who would draft QB in round 1 and they draft 7, 8 and 9. If Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel or any other backup quality QB is moved between now and the draft, that could leave 2 teams to slug it out and I am not certain if either one would really consider moving all the way to number 1 to get a QB. Honestly, if the Bills really want to leapfrog the Cardinals to get Geno Smith, why would they trade up higher than number 4?
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #167
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Fixed that for you.

I'd be shocked if anyone traded for the #1 pick this year. But then again, I was shocked to see a team giving up a 2nd round pick (much less two!) for Alex Smith.
We gave up that much because the 49ers knew we needed him. We had no leverage at all. And if I'm not mistaken next years pick is conditional, not a for sure 2nd round pick.

Reid making this deal at the combine means what everyone has been saying: this QB class is terrible and will need to be developed.
And this isn't from some moron like Pioli who doesn't know jack **** about QB's. Reid kinda has a well-deserved rep for finding and developing QB's.

I don't like the ammo we gave up to get the guy, but he was by far the best QB this offseason. If you don't believe that then answer this: who will win more games? A 20-5 NFL vet or some rookie QB in one of the weakest classes ever?

I fully expect Reid to do exactly what he and John Elway did last year: draft a QB to sit and develop until the time is right.

Last edited by KCStud; 02-28-2013 at 03:00 PM..
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #168
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
We gave up that much because the 49ers knew we needed him. We had no leverage at all. And if I'm not mistaken next years pick is conditional, not a for sure 2nd round pick.

Reid making this deal at the combine means what everyone has been saying: this QB class is terrible and will need to be developed.
And this isn't from some moron like Pioli who doesn't know jack **** about QB's. Reid kinda has a well-deserved rep for finding and developing QB's.

I don't like the ammo we gave up to get the guy, but he was by far the best QB this offseason. If you don't believe that then answer this: who will win more games? A 20-5 NFL vet or some rookie QB in one of the weakest classes ever?

I fully expect Reid to do exactly what he and John Elway did last year: draft a QB in the 2nd/3rd round are to sit and develop until the time is right.
lol! Yeah, that Kevin Kolb has been tearing **** UP!
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #169
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
lol! Yeah, that Kevin Kolb has been tearing **** UP!
He was good in Philly. Good enough to get a 1st round CB and 2nd round pick. Reid raped Arizona hard on that one.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #170
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
He was good in Philly. Good enough to get a 1st round CB and 2nd round pick. Reid raped Arizona hard on that one.
Maybe so, but Reid is the rapee this time.......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #171
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:

OK I just saw the NFL segment where the food critic guy said that Oakland is looking at drafting Smith.

A day or 2 ago they said they were happy restructuring Palmers deal and putting in packages for their supplemental draft pick. I wonder how much of this is BS.

Anyone panicking and making a move up to draft Smith in a draft where the holders of the 1st overall pick made a trade for a Vet rather than pick him is crazy.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #172
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:

bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #173
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Alex Smith, a more mobile Kyle Orton.....which probably would've won 8 games for the Chiefs in 2012....
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #174
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
He was good in Philly? When?

Ill agree about the rape though
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #175
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Reid has been good at trading away QBs, he got a 2nd rounder for Mcnabb, but we have yet to see him be good with trading FOR a QB.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote