The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #551
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Why waste the #28 pick on someone who is only on the field 35% of the time?
So your sayin that with Jack Del Rio and John Fox as his coaches, Te'o just cannot play 3 downs in the NFL?
Both coaches have turned chicken poop into chicken salad at the LB position for years, making nobodys into pro bowlers.
But theres just no way a guy like Te'o, who already is considered one of the best LB prospects to come out of college football in years, can lose the 15 LBs he was told to gain to play in the ND defense this last year, and play 3 downs competitively with JDR and JF coaching him.
He has 1 bad game. On a team that had no buisness in the Nat Champ game, and hes crucified.
His entire body of work shows an elite player who easily plays 3 downs at MLB, no problem.

Last edited by socalorado; 02-28-2013 at 09:02 AM..
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #552
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
So your sayin that with Jack Del Rio and John Fox as his coaches, Te'o just cannot play 3 downs in the NFL?
Both coaches have turned chicken poop into chicken salad at the LB position for years, making nobodys into pro bowlers.
But theres just no way a guy like Te'o, who already is considered one of the best LB prospects to come out of college football in years, can lose the 15 LBs he was told to gain to play in the ND defense this last year, and play 3 downs competitively with JDR and JF coaching him.
He has 1 bad game. On a team that had no buisness in the Nat Champ game, and hes crucified.
His entire body of work shows an elite player who easily plays 3 downs at MLB, no problem.
I'm not sure how their measurables compair, but to me Te'o strikes me a bit like Teddy Bruschi. Guys that could shift weight/Athleticism depending on scheme, didn't seem overly explosive/dynamic but were big and solid enough to get the job done, and were football-smart– they seemed to always be at the right place at the right time.

You would look at them and think, they don't look like they should be THAT good, but they were and almost alway got the job done.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #553
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Lets go Broncos!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Why waste the #28 pick on someone who is only on the field 35% of the time?
This! The only team we would have to worry about is the pats will run on you out of the two TE base set when you are in nickel.

BTW, where was McDumbass genius when he was with us?
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #554
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

If you think that a MIKE is only going to see 35% of snaps on this team if he is a legit prospect, you are kidding yourself. Of course 65 year old Keith wasn't on the field last year. For Christ sakes.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #555
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2win View Post
I'm not sure how their measurables compair, but to me Te'o strikes me a bit like Teddy Bruschi. Guys that could shift weight/Athleticism depending on scheme, didn't seem overly explosive/dynamic but were big and solid enough to get the job done, and were football-smart– they seemed to always be at the right place at the right time.

You would look at them and think, they don't look like they should be THAT good, but they were and almost alway got the job done.
Thats all i am sayin.
Look at the whole body of work, the instincts, the insanely high athletic ceiling, the football knowledge. The guy is always making plays, and always in the right spot, at the right time when his team needs him.
We all know that the Georgia-Bama game was the Natl Championship.
I just cant blame Te'o for the loss to Bama. He might as well have been playing with a Pee Wee team.
I get the whole, "Pile on the guy cause he had some weird, odd interwebs addiction that he needs to come to term with cause he is after all just a kid" thing. I get it. But jeez, as a football player the guy is just a flat out beast, and would improve DEN immediately in big ways.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #556
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
He won't be playing 3 downs running a flat-footed 4.8 forty...that's guaranteed. Now, if he can run in the 4.6's at his Pro Day (at 240), like he says he can, then he will be long gone by #28. It's a catch-22. I love Te'o's production...but if he can't be a 3 down LB, then there's no reason to take him in the first. Guess we'll find out more at his Pro Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
If you think that a MIKE is only going to see 35% of snaps on this team if he is a legit prospect, you are kidding yourself. Of course 65 year old Keith wasn't on the field last year. For Christ sakes.
The Broncos are in Nickel 65% of the time. Drafting a great Nickel CB would be twice as valuable as drafting a good MLB.

Who would you pick in the 1st round between Manti Te'o, or DeAndre Hopkins? Tough question isn't it...and one that's likely to present itself if things stay the same. Keep in mind Hopkins singlehandedly beat LSU in the bowl game, when they knew Clemson was going to throw it to him repeatedly. Double-move city baby, 4.57 forty and all.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #557
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Te'o over Hopkins easily. Not choosing a WR in round one with the depth of this class.

As Med has stated time and time again, him running a 4.8 isn't a big deal. He has the instincts that gets him to the ball quicker than most any other LB in this class. His comparison to Zavier Gooden, who ran in the 4.5's -- but is slow to diagnose plays was an apt one in sense of coverage.

I bet T'eo runs better than a 4.8 as his pro day. Not worried about him.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #558
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
He won't be playing 3 downs running a flat-footed 4.8 forty...that's guaranteed. Now, if he can run in the 4.6's at his Pro Day (at 240), like he says he can, then he will be long gone by #28. It's a catch-22. I love Te'o's production...but if he can't be a 3 down LB, then there's no reason to take him in the first. Guess we'll find out more at his Pro Day.

So your basing Te'o's entired draftability on his 40 time!?!?

The Broncos are in Nickel 65% of the time. Drafting a great Nickel CB would be twice as valuable as drafting a good MLB.

Harris is a great nickel CB

Who would you pick in the 1st round between Manti Te'o, or DeAndre Hopkins? Tough question isn't it...and one that's likely to present itself if things stay the same. Keep in mind Hopkins singlehandedly beat LSU in the bowl game, when they knew Clemson was going to throw it to him repeatedly. Double-move city baby, 4.57 forty and all.

Te'o all day. For a number of reasons.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #559
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Thats all i am sayin.
Look at the whole body of work, the instincts, the insanely high athletic ceiling, the football knowledge. The guy is always making plays, and always in the right spot, at the right time when his team needs him.
We all know that the Georgia-Bama game was the Natl Championship.
I just cant blame Te'o for the loss to Bama. He might as well have been playing with a Pee Wee team.
I get the whole, "Pile on the guy cause he had some weird, odd interwebs addiction that he needs to come to term with cause he is after all just a kid" thing. I get it. But jeez, as a football player the guy is just a flat out beast, and would improve DEN immediately in big ways.
He's like the Anti-DJ Williams
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #560
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
He's like the Anti-DJ Williams
D.J. Williams was WAY more athletic when he was drafted, than Manti Te'o is now.

D.J. ran in the 4.5's with a 38" vertical. If they ran on a simulcam, D.J. would have been 6 yards ahead of Te'o and pulling away at the finish line.

Pretty sure D.J. could run in the 4.7's with street clothes on today...so he's still more athletic than Te'o.

Last edited by pricejj; 02-28-2013 at 12:16 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #561
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Williams probably is more athletic. He was an athletic freak from Da La Salle HS, to Miami to the Denver Broncos. All world athleticism doesn't make up for the fact that he's a scramble brains. T'eo might run slower than him and is nowhere near the athlete, but makes up for it in his play diagnosis and instincts. If Williams had those, he'd be an All-Pro. It is a shame he never lived up to that potential.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #562
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
I have Te'o rated 33-40 right now, if he runs faster at his Pro Day, he'll rise back up into the 1st round, because of his college production.

Chris Harris got burned by Wes Welker, but if you want to stick him back in the Nickel (which is where he should be) the Broncos still need a #2 CB this offseason, and they'll need a #1 CB next offseason.

The draft is all about opportunity costs.

Last edited by pricejj; 02-28-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #563
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Williams probably is more athletic. He was an athletic freak from Da La Salle HS, to Miami to the Denver Broncos. All world athleticism doesn't make up for the fact that he's a scramble brains. T'eo might run slower than him and is nowhere near the athlete, but makes up for it in his play diagnosis and instincts. If Williams had those, he'd be an All-Pro. It is a shame he never lived up to that potential.
I thought you were a Minter guy? Give me your top 5 choices at #28 right now (be realistic). Mine are:

1. D.J. Fluker
2. Tyler Eifert
3. Eddie Lacy
4. Barrett Jones
5. Arthur Brown (depending on his Pro Day speed and weight)

Te'o goes to the top of the list if he can run right around 4.70 at his Pro Day.

Last edited by pricejj; 02-28-2013 at 01:19 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #564
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

I still like Minter too. I don't hate T'eo either -- though I told Ludo I did incase he was gonna draft him.

Like Med said, it is impossible to be realistic on who is going to be there. I can only tell you guys I like and would TRULY want. I have no idea who is going to be there.

I think it's safe to say Rhodes and Trufant ain't got a chance in hell of being there no mo, which makes me sad cause those were my boooyz
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #565
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Nailed it.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #566
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I have Te'o rated 33-40 right now, if he runs faster at his Pro Day, he'll rise back up into the 1st round, because of his college production.

Chris Harris got burned by Wes Welker, but if you want to stick him back in the Nickel (which is where he should be) the Broncos still need a #2 CB this offseason, and they'll need a #1 CB next offseason.

The draft is all about opportunity costs.
Te'o is going in the 1st round if he never runs another 40 again.

Again, Harris is a really good nickel CB.

I dont know where your going with this, man.
This draft is all about Rhodes, Trufant or Te'o in the 1st.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #567
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
I still like Minter too. I don't hate T'eo either -- though I told Ludo I did incase he was gonna draft him.

Like Med said, it is impossible to be realistic on who is going to be there. I can only tell you guys I like and would TRULY want. I have no idea who is going to be there.

I think it's safe to say Rhodes and Trufant ain't got a chance in hell of being there no mo, which makes me sad cause those were my boooyz
You and Med are both copping out. I made a list of the top 28 guys in the draft who I would want the Broncos to draft, and gave you the bottom 5 on my list. One of them is guaranteed to be there. If not, they'll get an even better prospect who slips. Trufant and Rhodes are both in my top 20.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #568
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
D.J. Williams was WAY more athletic when he was drafted, than Manti Te'o is now.

D.J. ran in the 4.5's with a 38" vertical. If they ran on a simulcam, D.J. would have been 6 yards ahead of Te'o and pulling away at the finish line.

Pretty sure D.J. could run in the 4.7's with street clothes on today...so he's still more athletic than Te'o.
Thats my point. Te'o High on instincts, some what lacking in athleticism. DJ, Great Athleticism (still), completely devoid of instincts for a MLB.

Te'o is the Anti-DJWilliams.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #569
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
You and Med are both copping out. I made a list of the top 28 guys in the draft who I would want the Broncos to draft, and gave you the bottom 5 on my list. One of them is guaranteed to be there. If not, they'll get an even better prospect who slips. Trufant and Rhodes are both in my top 20.
It is not a copout. I could give you the list of players I would LIKE (that may be there at #28) but that doesn't mean they will be. As mentioned, the guys I really liked are probably not going to be there anymore. I thought a guy like Rhodes or Trufant would have been the best thing for this team moving forward -- and as you mentioned are probably Top 20 players by now.

FWIW: T'eo and Minter would be on that short list.

Other players I like I will not name right now because they are potential targets of mine with the Bengals in the draft because needs are similar on that team. I don't want to give up hints on players I like and target so people could swoop them up ahead of me. After I am done selecting for the Bengals in round two, I will tell you.

As Med says, and I agree, boards are still very fluid right now. A team that plays heavy zone aren't going to have a guy like Rhodes listed as high as a team who plays man coverage where he excels, etc. Once free agency comes and the Broncos either sign or scrap players, it will change things even more. It is too hard to tell and that is just being honest.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #570
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Thats my point. Te'o High on instincts, some what lacking in athleticism. DJ, Great Athleticism (still), completely devoid of instincts for a MLB.

Te'o is the Anti-DJWilliams.
Bro, i dont think that Te'o is lacking in athleticism. He isnt DJ Williams FREAk athletic is all i am sayin.

Te'o's combine numbers other than the 40 time which is .26 slower than Al Wilsons are all basically identical.
Someone posted them in the main forum on the Te'o thread over there.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #571
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
It is not a copout. I could give you the list of players I would LIKE (that may be there at #28) but that doesn't mean they will be. As mentioned, the guys I really liked are probably not going to be there anymore. I thought a guy like Rhodes or Trufant would have been the best thing for this team moving forward -- and as you mentioned are probably Top 20 players by now.

FWIW: T'eo and Minter would be on that short list.

Other players I like I will not name right now because they are potential targets of mine with the Bengals in the draft because needs are similar on that team. I don't want to give up hints on players I like and target so people could swoop them up ahead of me. After I am done selecting for the Bengals in round two, I will tell you.

As Med says, and I agree, boards are still very fluid right now. A team that plays heavy zone aren't going to have a guy like Rhodes listed as high as a team who plays man coverage where he excels, etc. Once free agency comes and the Broncos either sign or scrap players, it will change things even more. It is too hard to tell and that is just being honest.
I agree on alot of what you and Med are saying and i also will say that i think theres actually still a very good chance that Trufant or Te'o will be there at #28.
Rhodes has propelled himself into the top 13 picks now, so i will concede that hes a bit of a pipe dream.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #572
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Bro, i dont think that Te'o is lacking in athleticism. He isnt DJ Williams FREAk athletic is all i am sayin.

Te'o's combine numbers other than the 40 time which is .26 slower than Al Wilsons are all basically identical.
Someone posted them in the main forum on the Te'o thread over there.
You got a point there. So Woodyard takes over Trevathan's role in Nickel, while Te'o stays in the middle?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #573
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Price I don't get how you are so concerned about T'eo running a 4.8 40 on the field when Danny Trevathan posted a 4.84 and he is on the field durning the nickel D.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #574
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

I hope to god we get some LB in this draft. I know Fox and JDR can coach up turdchips and plug them in at LB, but this **** about Stevie Johnson getting a shot has got to stop. get a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuging linebacker
Old 02-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #575
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Price I don't get how you are so concerned about T'eo running a 4.8 40 on the field when Danny Trevathan posted a 4.84 and he is on the field durning the nickel D.
It's well known that Trevathan had a hamstring injury and pulled up during his run, leading to the slow time. I think I must have told you that personally, about a dozen times. Fox acknowledged that same very thing in one of his press conferences.

Plus I know Trevathan is good in coverage (from watching him play). I watched him run in pursuit lockstep with Jamaal Charles during the season, his speed is not what concerns me.

I think the Broncos need another starting-caliber CB far more than they need another LB. I think Trevathan, Irving, and Johnson will progress, and are good enough for the job. I like Te'o, but there are other big needs, him being slow makes the decision easy.

If there are no starting caliber CB's available, a starting Offensive Lineman would be nice, or a playmaking WR.

Out of all the reasons the Broncos lost in the playoffs, sh*tty CB play is tops on the list.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: