The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #76
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Drooling right now thinking about SJ running the power formation. If we want to run it down your throat, we would finally have the RB to deliver punishment and get the tough yards.
Yesssss. I remember alot of 1st and 10s then 2nd and 1, then 3rd and 1, then 4th and 1. Those drove me crazy. SJ would prevent alot of those.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #77
ThirtyDegrees

Remember when Shanahan passed on Steven Jackson and said that they had Tatum Bell ranked higher and the losers on the Mane posted about how smart a decision that was?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #78
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyDegrees View Post
Remember when Shanahan passed on Steven Jackson and said that they had Tatum Bell ranked higher and the losers on the Mane posted about how smart a decision that was?
in fairness, we grabbed DJ with our pick and he played like a demon his rookie year.
that said, i had wanted us to trade back up and get S Jax.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #79
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Jackson at FB..?
Single wing baby.

I would enjoy watching Steven Jackson play running back for the Denver Bronco football team.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #80
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
There is nothing stopping us from signing Jackson and drafting a guy in the mid to late rounds. When you're a team that wants to control the clock with the run like all Fox teams do, you need multiple quality backs. Right now I'm not even sure we have one, especially when you factor in injury issues.
I have no issue bringing in a vet back to help carry the load with Bell, I just want a vet with less mileage. Ivory or Dwyer would be great with Bell and Hillman
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #81
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyDegrees View Post
Didn't he have Chris Perry ranked the highest? I'm not even sure if that was his name but he was the RB out of Michigan.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #82
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I have no issue bringing in a vet back to help carry the load with Bell, I just want a vet with less mileage. Ivory or Dwyer would be great with Bell and Hillman
you really want Bell badly in the draft huh?
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #83
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
you really want Bell badly in the draft huh?
he's a young Steven Jackson. of course i want Bell. everyone here wants Steven Jackson, and that is cool, but i want a guy who plays like Jackson 6 years ago. to give a comparison on the 2 based on combine results.

Steven Jackson
6'2", 231lbs, 16 bench reps, 4.55 - 40, 37 1/2" vertical, 9'10" broad jump, 4.09 - 20 yard shuttle, 7.03 - 3 cone

Le'Veon Bell
6'1", 230lbs, 24 bench reps, 4.6 - 40, 31 1/2" vertical, 9'10" broad jump, 4.24 - 20 yard shuttle, 6.75 - 3 cone

nearly identical measurables, near identical speed, Jackson can jump higher, Bell is stronger. why pay the old on the decline RB with a lot of mileage 5+ million a season when we can get the same type of back at 8 years younger and no wear and tear for something like a million a year in the draft?

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 02-27-2013 at 10:43 PM..
Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #84
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Was just looking at it appears Ivory missed 10 games last year? Missed the 1st 7 games and then played 5, missed 3 and played 1. I've seen some calling him a brittle. Saints can match offer on him also. Part of me wants to give guys like him, or Greene or Jackson a shot but lordy, I know we all want a power guy who can take it the distance but man, sure would be nice just to have a guy who can stay on the field.........lol.

It just seems to me like backs these days are more often injured, even when most teams are splitting the load between several back. Just amazes me how the backs before had such great health endurance, especially when most teams had a feature back that got most of the carries. I wonder if it has anything to do with how much bigger, stronger and faster these defensive players are getting, especially the linemen.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #85
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
he's a young Steven Jackson. of course i want Bell. everyone here wants Steven Jackson, and that is cool, but i want a guy who plays like Jackson 6 years ago. to give a comparison on the 2 based on combine results.

Steven Jackson
6'2", 231lbs, 16 bench reps, 4.55 - 40, 37 1/2" vertical, 9'10" broad jump, 4.09 - 20 yard shuttle, 7.03 - 3 cone

Le'Veon Bell
6'1", 230lbs, 24 bench reps, 4.6 - 40, 31 1/2" vertical, 9'10" broad jump, 4.24 - 20 yard shuttle, 6.75 - 3 cone

nearly identical measurables, near identical speed, Jackson can jump higher, Bell is stronger. why pay the old on the decline RB with a lot of mileage 5+ million a season when we can get the same type of back at 8 years younger and no wear and tear for something like a million a year in the draft?
What was his production in college like? Never seen him. But I am far familiar with workout warriors. Mark Ingram, Bennie Wells, KM looked like sure things. But until they laze them on, you can't be sure.

This aside, why bring in a rookie for growing pains? PM has what? 2-3 years left. Why not pare him with someone that has dominated and could really bring another dimension to this Offense?
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #86
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Heyneck -- he split carries his first two years and this was his first year as a full-time starter as a junior.

In his junior season he had 382 carries for ~ 1,800 yards and 12 TD's. (4.7 YPC) He also had 32 snags for ~ 170 yards and a score.

You can see more of his stats here: LINK

40 College Games: 671 carries, 3,346 yards, 5.0 YPC, 33 TD's. 78 catches, 531 yards and 1 TD receiving.

This guy is a STUD.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #87
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nice! looks like a punisher. Still would take SJ over him if we can get him around 4.5-5 mill/year, and use that draft pick on a WR/DT depending what we do in the 1st.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #88
Bacchus

Quote:

Steven Jackson

Le'Veon Bell

I don't want Jackson, it just seems like something Shanahan kept doing which cause all the dead money. RB start to slide at 30. Jackson is going to be 30 and you people want to sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal? That just means in three years when he is cut Denver will still be accounting for his cap number for two years after that.

Let's sign players to contracts they will play.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #89
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

3 years $15 million sounds about right. I would cut McGahee if we did that. Jackson has some left and was once a great back, McGahee was never a great back, good yes, but not great. A vet like Jackson with Hillman sounds good, KM as a backup guy.

Is there no muscle hamster in this draft?
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #90
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
3 years $15 million sounds about right. I would cut McGahee if we did that. Jackson has some left and was once a great back, McGahee was never a great back, good yes, but not great. A vet like Jackson with Hillman sounds good, KM as a backup guy.

3 years would be great, I bet it will be a 5 year deal.

McGahee is a much better RB than Moreno. I'd bring them all to camp and cut who doesn't work out. My feeling is Moreno would be gone. Jackson and Mcgahee would be a very good combination.

Last edited by Bacchus; 02-28-2013 at 08:26 AM..
Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #91
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
What was his production in college like? Never seen him. But I am far familiar with workout warriors. Mark Ingram, Bennie Wells, KM looked like sure things. But until they laze them on, you can't be sure.

This aside, why bring in a rookie for growing pains? PM has what? 2-3 years left. Why not pare him with someone that has dominated and could really bring another dimension to this Offense?
Bell is more than a workout warrior. check out the film on him and hell just his stats. the man can play.

and growing pains? RB and LB are typically the 2 positions where a rookie can come in and have immediate success.

with Bell we are pairing Peyton with young power and speed who will dominate, and be the best back we have had since Portis on day 1. Jackson is an upgrade to our current stable, no doubt, not saying anything against that. i just don't like the idea of switching out our 30+ year old back with a lot of mileage and on the decline for a new 30 year old back with a lot of miles and on the decline.

You bring in Jackson on a 3 year deal he probably gives 1 good year, 1 mediocre year and then 1 final injury shortened mediocre year. You draft Bell, he is a beast for the next 5 years minimum on a rookie deal and will help Peyton on his super bowl or bust runs the next 3 years and be a crutch for Osweiler when he takes over. Best of both worlds.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #92
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post

Le'Veon Bell is going to be better than muscle hamster.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #93
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
3 years would be great, I bet it will be a 5 year deal.

McGahee is a much better RB than Moreno. I'd bring them all to camp and cut who doesn't work out. My feeling is Moreno would be gone. Jackson and Mcgahee would be a very good combination.
good combo if it was 2008. in 2013, they are old men and 1 can't hang onto the ball.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #94
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

How is Bell in pass pro? For the most part, you can plug and play rookie RBs, but our system needs a back who can pick up a blitz so Manning doesn't get killed.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #95
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
How is Bell in pass pro? For the most part, you can plug and play rookie RBs, but our system needs a back who can pick up a blitz so Manning doesn't get killed.
He has a lot of experience doing it, but could get better. He is tough as nails, his form is just bad and has inconsistency there. It is not as if he is just blatantly blowing assingments Lance Ball style. Most all backs need to be refined. He is coming out of a pro-style offense. I have no doubts that a 6'1 - 230+ pound back is going to be able to mash people going after the QB if he has to do so.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #96
Bmore Manning

Req your pumpin up my boy Bell like you were Don King!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #97
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
He has a lot of experience doing it, but could get better. He is tough as nails, his form is just bad and has inconsistency there. It is not as if he is just blatantly blowing assingments Lance Ball style. Most all backs need to be refined. He is coming out of a pro-style offense. I have no doubts that a 6'1 - 230+ pound back is going to be able to mash people going after the QB if he has to do so.
I could definitely live with that, especially considering our coaching has been in that area.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #98
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Req your pumpin up my boy Bell like you were Don King!
He's been one of my favorite players since his sophomore year, I am glad he came out this year because if he would have stayed in school, he'd be a Top 25 pick. I think he is going to go higher than people expect.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #99
Bacchus

Quote:
He's been one of my favorite players since his sophomore year, I am glad he came out this year because if he would have stayed in school, he'd be a Top 25 pick. I think he is going to go higher than people expect.
Where do you expect him to go? I don't think he'll be there for Denver 2nd round pick.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #100
Tom G
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Heyneck -- he split carries his first two years and this was his first year as a full-time starter as a junior.

In his junior season he had 382 carries for ~ 1,800 yards and 12 TD's. (4.7 YPC) He also had 32 snags for ~ 170 yards and a score.

You can see more of his stats here: LINK

40 College Games: 671 carries, 3,346 yards, 5.0 YPC, 33 TD's. 78 catches, 531 yards and 1 TD receiving.

This guy is a STUD.
If those stats make Bell a stud, what would you call an RB whose college career stats are:

26 College Games: 573 carries, 3,243 yards, 5.7 YPC, 36 TDs. 33 catches, 338 yards and 2 TDs receiving.

Answer: A 21 year old (his age today) Denver Broncos RB drafted last year in the 3rd round.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote