The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #476
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
no he won't, he's a CB and will be fine after his pro day. the 4.6 may drop him but he's a CB all the way and he will be one in the NFL.
He will not go to a team that plays heavy man coverage in the NFL. He will go to a team who has their corners play zone. If he doesn't work at corner, he will move to safety. See: Antrel Rolle.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #477
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
That was BEFORE he ran like a slow Mike LBer

I think the kid is good on tape, but NOT great. I also hate Texas players due to consistent NFL underperformance issues
I seem to remember the last notable Texas Safety turned out to be a stud.. Earl Thomas ring a bell..?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #478
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
He will not go to a team that plays heavy man coverage in the NFL. He will go to a team who has their corners play zone. If he doesn't work at corner, he will move to safety. See: Antrel Rolle.
Why do you equate bigger corners to zone if they don't have blazing straight line speed? Maybe I miss evaluate, but Banks plays faster then his 40 time indicated. He has fluid hips and nice footwork.

I still see him as a press man corner. Again please enlighten me, cause I'm missing something.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #479
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
We looked at both FS and SS prospects.. If we were convinced the position was locked up we wouldn't have been looking..

I am just not convinced Bailey should play FS..just for the sake of improving FS. If Champ covers the possession receiver/hybrid slot he will excell.
You don't always talk to people you intend the draft. It's a game, and every GM plays it.

You don't pay the $$$$$$ we are paying Champ for him to cover a possession WR.

You put your best players on the field. Bailey, Harris, Trufant (if we draft him in my scenario), and Carter are our best secondary players. Only scenario to get all four is if one, Champ being the most logical, moves to FS. It also gets rid of one of our biggest liabilities. Frankly, I'm not seeing a negative reason.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #480
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
You don't always talk to people you intend the draft. It's a game, and every GM plays it.

You don't pay the $$$$$$ we are paying Champ for him to cover a possession WR.

You put your best players on the field. Bailey, Harris, Trufant (if we draft him in my scenario), and Carter are our best secondary players. Only scenario to get all four is if one, Champ being the most logical, moves to FS. It also gets rid of one of our biggest liabilities. Frankly, I'm not seeing a negative reason.
To be fair, when I have mentioned that in the past, he was taking a pay cut to be our #2.. He should be taking a pay cut period..regardless if he's playing FS or CB. I don't like him at SS, which I hear mentioned as his safety spot where people want to see him play..
Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #481
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Lulz at Sam Montgomery actually being 6'3" with a 4.81 forty, instead of what LSU listed...6'5" with a 4.59 forty. What a sham, no wonder why he looked a lot slower than Mingo coming off the line.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #482
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

DeAndre Hopkins 4.57 forty drops him out of the 1st round.

Last edited by pricejj; 02-26-2013 at 08:36 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #483
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Lulz at Sam Montgomery actually being 6'3" with a 4.81 forty, instead of what LSU listed...6'5" with a 4.59 forty. What a sham, no wonder why he looked a lot slower than Mingo coming off the line.
Well in fairness to Montgomery, Mingo was suppose to be running 4.3 to early 4.4 according to the coaches and media at LSU.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #484
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Matt Elam **** the bed.

Xavier Rhodes cemented Top 25 status.

Johnthan Banks is going to have to move to safety after running int he 4.6.

Darius Slay boss hogged on candy.

Marcus Trufant is a sure fire first rounder after running in the 4.3s.

Jordan Poyer had a good time in the mid 4.4s.

HummMAsm
It's Desmond Trufant. His dad was marcus Trufant. And your right he is a complete stud and unfortunatley will be selected before we pick. He also was a stud at the SR bowl so he is now flying up draft charts. So much for my sleeper pick for us at 28. Slay is an interesting player who may be available in the 2nd. Most likely though just like every yr CB with speed go earlier then mocks have them slotted.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #485
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

NFL | Christine Michael missed two combine interviews
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:38:49 -0800

Texas A&M RB Christine Michael helped his stock at the NFL Scouting Combine by ending up as a top performer at his position in five events. However, he also overslept and missed two team interviews.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2M4p8BNR7
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #486
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post

Texas A&M RB Christine Michael helped his stock at the NFL Scouting Combine by ending up as a top performer at his position in five events. However, he also overslept and missed two team interviews.

I still like Micheal though he has a good size/speed combo. Those teams scheduled those meetings way too early.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #487
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post

If it was the Chiefs and Raiders... No problem!
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #488
NickStixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
It's Desmond Trufant. His dad was marcus Trufant. And your right he is a complete stud and unfortunatley will be selected before we pick. He also was a stud at the SR bowl so he is now flying up draft charts. So much for my sleeper pick for us at 28. Slay is an interesting player who may be available in the 2nd. Most likely though just like every yr CB with speed go earlier then mocks have them slotted.
I think they are brothers... lol
Old 02-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #489
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
I think they are brothers... lol
yeah maybe huh? Sorry the dad i guess was sandcastle trufant. Regardless the kid can flat out play even with a first name like Desmond.

But I think this player was going low first top of 2nd even if he played avg at sr bowl and had a so so camp. But he put up like what 16 reps on the bench press? ran a sub 4.4 and as always was said to look good in position drills.

He just seems sort of like a natural CB, like its easy for him. Yeah but it is his brother my bad lol. I think this is a case of baby brother going to be better then big brother.

Still it seems like 3 cb are locks for the first round. Maybe 4. Especially since I think if they lasted until the end of round 1 all the good teams that made playoffs would scoop them up.

I think Giants would look at him at 19. Hell maybe even the Bucs at 16.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #490
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Why do you equate bigger corners to zone if they don't have blazing straight line speed? Maybe I miss evaluate, but Banks plays faster then his 40 time indicated. He has fluid hips and nice footwork.

I still see him as a press man corner. Again please enlighten me, cause I'm missing something.
I've said this about Amerson and Banks. Two corner prospects who I see switching to S in the NFL. I see these guys in the same mold of Antrel Rolle and Malcom Jenkins who ended up having to go the same route to salvage their NFL careers. Both those guys were high picks and I doubt Banks is going to follow suit with them. I could maybe see him going to a desperate team like the Patriots @ the end of round one, but I believe that is his ceiling now as far as position. Banks played S early on in his career and did well there as a freshman.. He looked stiff in the drills, and so did Amerson (to me anyways -- not good hip flippers), despite the latter having a good corner time for the 40.

Banks also had a terrible year and was beat CONSISTENTLY. In three games I watched of him this year I had him down for ~ 20-22 targets, allowing more than 60% of them to be completed and getting burned for 3 touchdowns. He does not have great recovery speed. I don't think his game speed is that great and running a 4.6 only makes scouts wonder more about his next level ability when that was one of his biggest "?" entering the combine.

I've talked to fans from his team who say that he has been nothing of a disappointment and say he is very overrated. 2012 was nothing compared to what he did in 2011 and 2009 in the last half of the season ['09 is where he became a starter at safety]. (Remember him eating Tim Tebow's lunch?) It is nice to run into people who have seen more of him and can give him a non-biased view of his play. Jarius Wright (back in 2011) also was able to get the best of him with his speed and quickness off the line in his best season at CB and Wright was not a high round prospect.

These guys can play corner in a zone scheme, but won't be playing much man to man in the NFL. They have no recovery speed to be press man guys. I just think their skill set transfers better to corner in the NFL. Of course, that is just my personal opinion. I'd be very surprised if either succeeded in man schemes, but that is my evaluation based on their drills and play the last two seasons when it mattered most.

Banks didn't improve this year, he got worse. So did Amerson -- whose standout opportunity against the Vols led to him ****ting the bed completely.

I may be right -- I may be wrong. Only time will tell. I feel good about my board at DB and my assessments of prospects. Nobody here is going to match up the same. I can tell you that I have a guy in my Top 5 at corner who has NOT been mentioned by more than one or two guys here as a legitimate starter at the next level. He played for a big school and had a fantastic year, much better than guys like Banks and Amerson, whom are likely to be higher on people's boards. I want to see players improve each year and get a better grasp for the game, but with those two I just didn't see it.

A lot of people wondered why I traded a decent ship of picks in the OM draft to move up to get Vanderbilt's Casey Hayward at the top of round three last year, but he ended up being a boss baller for the Packers this year. I'm fine with my opinions and it is all right for anybody to disagree. Inferno and I are polar opposite on Elam, and MUG and I have gone back to Broncos forums for a decade discussing certain prospects and for a long time did not agree on much. I was laughed at for advocating backs like MJD and Ray Rice coming out of college because they were small and undersized. Arguably two of the top five backs in the NFL for the past half decade.

That is why I bust my nut early in most drafts and go for guys I think can make an impact right away. I cannot pretend to know and have boards of 500+ prospects to evaluate. I can't sit around waiting trying to take players I have never seen play. I can't just trust other people, I have to feel good enough with my own evaluation to like a player. My board is not McDaniels short, but it is not huge like some posters have said theres are. I am very particular about the people I go after and can assure you that my board will be half the size of most everyone elses. I'm fine with that too.

C'est lallaosidvsdio!

Last edited by Requiem; 02-27-2013 at 06:27 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #491
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
DeAndre Hopkins 4.57 forty drops him out of the 1st round.
Wow. Hard to believe he was that slow. He definitely plays WAY faster. I expected him him to be in the 4.45 range. Definitely puts him out of 1st round consideration, but I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger in the late 2nd.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #492
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Hopkins blazes on the field. He was estimated to have a 4.55 before that, so I don't see how a 4.57 really hurts him that much. Everyone knows he plays much faster on tape than he times. If Patterson, Allen and Austin all go in the first round -- I don't see how Hopkins gets passed Buffalo or Miami @ #41 or #42. Those teams, especially Buffalo have absolutely nobody legit at WR for the long-term. Still a Top 50 guy, based on teams needed receiver and his overall skillset. Great prospect!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #493
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Matt Elam **** the bed.

Xavier Rhodes cemented Top 25 status.

Johnthan Banks is going to have to move to safety after running int he 4.6.

Darius Slay boss hogged on candy.

Marcus Trufant is a sure fire first rounder after running in the 4.3s.

Jordan Poyer had a good time in the mid 4.4s.

HummMAsm
Ditto. Rewatched the combine last night after work, and basically Req has nailed it. Although Banks wont go to FS. He will come back at his Pro Day and run a faster 40, and go in the 2nd round. He blew it though.
Trufant like i have been sayin for MONTHS is a 1st rounder. Everyone laughed (except MED) when i made this statement, but hes just a plain baller who's fast as hell with awesome measurables.
DARIUS SLAY- Boss-fricken-hogged-on-candy the combine!! REQ nailed that! Owned it. Could even go in the top 40 picks. Would not suprise me to see him gone by the 5th pick of the 2nd round.
Rhodes simply had a really good combine, and again another guy i have been advocating to get at #28. 6'1" 210 and ran a 4.41. Pfft, Are you kiddding me?
Poyer did what he needed to do, and will be long gone by pick 50.
No safety should go in the 1st. The best safety in this combine and a guy who was awesome in the drills was Shamwowko Thomas.
Dude was awesome and looks more like a Bob Sanders type player with serious skills than Matt Elam ever could. Elam pooped the bed, and then pooped himself. Not impressed, and guys like Shamarko made him look even worse.
Earl Wolfe from NC state. Dude was awesome and looked really fluid in the drills. Comfortable, and relaxed he owned the combine, and should be looked at in the
3rd round. Guy was rock solid.
David Amerson also ran well, and is impressive. But hes a FS. The guy looked just terrible in the drills and is truly stiff as a board. Flat footed. Elam is heavy footed as well. Slow to make plays on the ball. Amerson will go to a team like STL in the 2nd round and be a FS.

Last edited by socalorado; 02-27-2013 at 06:33 AM..
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #494
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Watch Baltimore make Amerson the next Ed Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #495
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

This does not shock me at all. . .

Bears beat writer Dan Pompei surveyed numerous NFL front office members and came away with the conclusion that 13 CBs could go in the top two rounds.

The 13 include: Southeast Louisiana's Robert Alford, Cal's Marc Anthony, Mississippi State's Johnthan Banks, Utah State's Will Davis, Connecticut's Dwayne Gratz, Alabama's Dee Milliner, Oregon State's Jordan Poyer, Florida State's Xavier Rhodes, Rutgers' Logan Ryan, Mississippi State's Darius Slay, Boise State's Jamar Taylor and Washington's Desmond Trufant and Connecticut's Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

A wet dream for DBs!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #496
Bmore Manning

Maybe that's my weakness evaluating CBs. But unless you throw CBs into the mix I only see 2 good FS prospects. Majority of the FS prospects I see on boards would be better at SS. SS has soooo much depth this year.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #497
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
This does not shock me at all. . .

Bears beat writer Dan Pompei surveyed numerous NFL front office members and came away with the conclusion that 13 CBs could go in the top two rounds.

The 13 include: Southeast Louisiana's Robert Alford, Cal's Marc Anthony, Mississippi State's Johnthan Banks, Utah State's Will Davis, Connecticut's Dwayne Gratz, Alabama's Dee Milliner, Oregon State's Jordan Poyer, Florida State's Xavier Rhodes, Rutgers' Logan Ryan, Mississippi State's Darius Slay, Boise State's Jamar Taylor and Washington's Desmond Trufant and Connecticut's Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

A wet dream for DBs!

I thnk after watching the entire combine that DENs best best and safest bet is going after Rhodes or Trufant depending on how the 1st 13 picks play out.
If Milliner is the 1st CB taken by the 13th pick. DEN has a real good chance of landing Rhodes or Trufant. INDY or MIN could be in play, however they have some holes to fill, and because there are so many solid CBs they might think they could get a real good one in the 2nd round still, and go after another needed player in the 1st.
I would not care if DEN moved up to that 2nd STL pick (#16) and grabbed their CB of the future.
Also, like i said a while ago, theres gonna be some serious DT and RB talent left over in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #498
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

After Milliner, Rhodes and Trufant -- there is going to be a run. A run which will probably leave Denver hanging to dry with their current second rounder. I wouldn't be surprised to see either Rhodes/Trufant make a Stephon Gillmore-esque move up the boards like last year to a team needing a corner. NationalFootballPost had an article today who said that Rhodes and Trufant might have ran well, but didn't look great in drills. I thought Trufant did better than Rhodes in the drills, but I think that write-up is BS for the most part. Rhodes probably could have done better if not having a hammy issue.

On a side note: Cyprien was fantastic in the drills. Don't understand why he didn't run his 40 but still did drills? I think he is a Top 40-45 guy for sure now. Definitely the dynamic guy who can lock down on TE's in this league if need be. Gonna be a good safety.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #499
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

You called Shamarko Thomas SHAMWOWKO Thomas!

That made my day.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #500
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Wow. Hard to believe he was that slow. He definitely plays WAY faster. I expected him him to be in the 4.45 range. Definitely puts him out of 1st round consideration, but I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger in the late 2nd.
I still have him rated as a top 40 prospect, because he's still the next best WR (Quinton Patton ran a 4.5 too, so won't move up).

Quote:
Still a Top 50 guy, based on teams needed receiver and his overall skillset. Great prospect!
Definitely top 50. He'll probably improve his time a little at his Pro Day too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
DARIUS SLAY- Boss-fricken-hogged-on-candy the combine!! REQ nailed that! Owned it. Could even go in the top 40 picks. Would not suprise me to see him gone by the 5th pick of the 2nd round.
I don't like Slay. Don't really care that he ran fast, he plays like a wuss. Tony Carter-esque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Poyer did what he needed to do, and will be long gone by pick 50.
Poyer's 4.54 forty doesn't help him. Other CB's (like Taylor and Alford) hurdled over him in my rankings.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: