The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I understand this view, but I do not give it any merit. I have worked with people with addictions and addicitions are not just from drugs. In this case it is still an illegal drug that he is addicted. Not good. It's not like a social media addicition that some of these guys actually have (read Manti T'eo) that can get them in trouble.

I know the views on Pot being a drug have changed drastically in the US, and its supposedly not addictive. You explain his behavior then. Dude has the world at his fingertips, and gets caught multiple times smoking weed before he gets kicked off the team. Then gets caught AFTER getting kicked off the team. He does NOT transfer and play at a smaller school, instead he stays where he can get a hookup and smoke weed. Explain that without addiction please.
The guy may have an addictive personality, but that isn't the same as having a true drug addiction. Being addicted to pot is the same as being addicted to video games or sex. It's an impulse control issue not a true addiction. Seriously dude, marijuana isn't just "supposedly not addictive", it's 100% free of any addictive compounds. Going to rehab for marijuana "addiction" is a farce.

http://www.tfy.drugsense.org/tfy/addictvn.htm
This article is more about nicotine, but refer to the table at the bottom. Soda and coffee are more addictive than weed.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
Shananahan

Call it whatever you want to call it, but it's prevented him from having the kind of college career he could have had and will do the same for his professional future.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The guy may have an addictive personality, but that isn't the same as having a true drug addiction. Being addicted to pot is the same as being addicted to video games or sex. It's an impulse control issue not a true addiction. Seriously dude, marijuana isn't just "supposedly not addictive", it's 100% free of any addictive compounds. Going to rehab for marijuana "addiction" is a farce.

http://www.tfy.drugsense.org/tfy/addictvn.htm
This article is more about nicotine, but refer to the table at the bottom. Soda and coffee are more addictive than weed.
You are talking about chemically addictive compounds, and again miss the mark on addiction all together.

An addiction, is an addicition regardless of whether its Crack cocaine which is one of the highest Chemically addictive substances or social Media. The addicition changes Brain chemistry without regard to whether the addiction has a recognized chemically addicitve drug attached to it.

This has been Marijauna's defense for years, in that it does not have true chemical marker component like most other illegal drugs. However, it can and is addictive in nature just like Alcohol. It becomes an emotional crutch and the brain responds to it just like a chemically addictive drug. The only true difference is that one use will not likely make you addicted like Heroin or Crack cocaine can do. His current useage is uncontrollable. That is what addicition is. Not some chemical component that hooks the user with only one use.

If you had worked with addicts you would have known this as well.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Eric Clapton once said (paraphrased), when asked what was the first thing he was ever addicted to...

SUGAR.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
He has a grand total of two drafts under his belt...
That's as good as any place to start. Elway has a formula for his draft picks. High character, high motor, leadership, experience, and production. He's shown the willingness to take chances on players with past injuries, but not past character issues. Until that changes, I'll anticipate him doing the same this year.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #31
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
That's as good as any place to start. Elway has a formula for his draft picks. High character, high motor, leadership, experience, and production. He's shown the willingness to take chances on players with past injuries, but not past character issues. Until that changes, I'll anticipate him doing the same this year.
I think he is a businessman, that willing to take gambles, if the value is there. He probably has a pretty good idea of risk, especially how it relates to the football field.

The value in the early rounds seems to be BPA (within reason), with the addition of your before mentioned values. The later rounds it seems that the value is in taking risks on talented players that have some shortcomings (physical/injury, mental, discipline/character issues), that you hope with the help of a successful organization in a thriving and challenging environment, they can overcome.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #32
Agamemnon

Quote:
If you had worked with addicts you would have known this as well.
I'm so bored with this "I've worked with addicts so I know" nonsense of yours. I've had personal relationships with hard drug addicts, alcoholics, and habitual pot smokers. They are nothing, and I mean NOTHING alike.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #33
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I'm so bored with this "I've worked with addicts so I know" nonsense of yours. I've had personal relationships with hard drug addicts, alcoholics, and habitual pot smokers. They are nothing, and I mean NOTHING alike.
People are nothing alike dumbass, and once you figure that out you might have a clue.

I have worked ongoing with addicts for over ten years. Now, I volunteer but I used to do it for real. So, I am bored with your small sample size, know it all atitude. Did you also stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night too?

Consider yourself the first OMer I have ever put on ignore.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #34
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
People are nothing alike dumbass, and once you figure that out you might have a clue.

I have worked ongoing with addicts for over ten years. Now, I volunteer but I used to do it for real. So, I am bored with your small sample size, know it all atitude. Did you also stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night too?

Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot Kevlar covered pole, his head is so far up his own ass the lump in his throat is his nose. He was kicked off the team for being a complete asshat and instead of prioritizing football and transferring to another program where he could show his dedication and get away from the problems he chose pot over football and decided to stick around in the environment that led to his problems.

This kid needs to join the military, I doubt anything else will straighten him up before it is too late and he pulls a Clarrett and goes to jail.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #36
Agamemnon

Quote:

Ten years of working with addicts and you think marijuana addiction is real.

Do you also help sugar and caffeine addicts?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #37
SlyEli

I'm on the Mathieu bandwagon. He dominated the combine today.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #38
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

He looked real fluid in all the drills. Very impressive.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #39
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot Kevlar covered pole, his head is so far up his own ass the lump in his throat is his nose. He was kicked off the team for being a complete asshat and instead of prioritizing football and transferring to another program where he could show his dedication and get away from the problems he chose pot over football and decided to stick around in the environment that led to his problems.

This kid needs to join the military, I doubt anything else will straighten him up before it is too late and he pulls a Clarrett and goes to jail.
Imagine what happens when somebody drops a half million dollars in his bank account. Then, not only does he not have to give up the old neighborhood, he can bring it with him wherever he goes! Yippy kay yay!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #40
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Imagine what happens when somebody drops a half million dollars in his bank account. Then, not only does he not have to give up the old neighborhood, he can bring it with him wherever he goes! Yippy kay yay!
Saw him speaking yesterday i think at the combine.
Man, that kid is just destined for huge trouble.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #41
SlyEli

He seems like a humble, hardworking guy who's ready to grow up. I don't think Elway and co. will take the risk on him, but somebody's gonna get a damn good player
Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #42
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

if you can get him in the 4th or 5th round it's s steal.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #43
SlyEli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
if you can get him in the 4th or 5th round it's s steal.
Someone will take a chance on him in round 2 or 3
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #44
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

He might be a headcase, but he put on a clinic today. I am taking him @ #21 overall for the Bengals.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #45
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
He might be a headcase, but he put on a clinic today. I am taking him @ #21 overall for the Bengals.
Not if I take him at 5
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #46
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
Someone will take a chance on him in round 2 or 3
dammit! Floyd has already shot up draft boards and ruined my steal pick, don't harsh my buzz on the honey badger too.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #47
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Bengals would be the team to risk it.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #48
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

4 reps
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #49
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Have you ever intercepted a pass, ON WEED man?
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #50
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

4 reps isn't a killer for him. he's a smaller CB with ball skills. the real question was how he did in the drills and he showed his ball hawking skills in them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: