The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #76
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Champ Bailey.
Chris Harris.
Omar Bolden.
Tony Carter.

That is it. One of them goes down, we are screwed. Addressing the nickel defense is going to be a primary concern for this team moving forward. Hence why John Lynch was brought in to help evaluate DB's alongside Elway and that they interviewed a bunch of them @ Indy.
Out of curiosity, what happens if Decker or Thomas go down? Or one of our DTs...or Clady or Franklin?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #77
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Out of curiosity, what happens if Decker or Thomas go down? Or one of our DTs...or Clady or Franklin?
WR is definitely going to be addressed this offseason. I believe we are going to be quite active in the DT market as well, both FA and draft. From the looks of things we will be going OL at some point in the draft.

Right now I would guess CB gets addressed in FA, DT will be FA and draft. OL will be draft, MLB probably draft as well. I believe WR will be in the draft if we can't make a surprise play for a better free agent and RB is anyones guess.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #78
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
and how many teams go five deep at corner? none?
Every team in the league probably has 5 active corners.

And to other posters: DT and WR will likely be addressed as well -- and OL. It's just about value. Don't see the point in taking an the 7th best OL in the draft with our first pick. That is just loser talk.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #79
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

And to other posters: DT and WR will likely be addressed as well -- and OL. It's just about value. Don't see the point in taking an the 7th best OL in the draft with our first pick. That is just loser talk.
I agree. I would rather have the 3rd WR, 3rd CB, or 1st RB over the 7th OL.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #80
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I didn't say active (though I doubt this too), I said deep. we can give the vet minimum or a sixth round pick on a fifth corner too, doesn't make it a position of need.

and at that point most teams I would think would put in a third safety instead of a fifth corner
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #81
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

53 man rosters probably have 5 CBs.

Harris and Carter were impressive. Bolden we don't know. Champ is great, but old. I would not mind having a cheap, affordable long-term replacement under contract (4 years) at the CB position for the future.

We also need a S.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #82
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
and how many teams go five deep at corner? none?
...all?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #83
Agamemnon

Seems like he might be a better 3-4 ILB with that kind of 40 time. Either way, I've seriously got to question the idea of using a 1st rounder on a MLB/ILB who won't be able to keep up with most tight ends.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #84
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Seems like he might be a better 3-4 ILB with that kind of 40 time. Either way, I've seriously got to question the idea of using a 1st rounder on a MLB/ILB who won't be able to keep up with most tight ends.
The MLB usually doesn't have TE coverage responsibilities on every play. It can be the Weak or Strong Side LB depending which side of the formation, and more often then not is the responsibility of the SS..

This is a misconception that needs to be addressed..
Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #85
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Like I said in the combine thread, he posted similar numbers to Minter who has a first round grade, albiet late, I'm thinking they both go in the first.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #86
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:

Harris and Carter were impressive. Bolden we don't know. Champ is great, but old. I would not mind having a cheap, affordable long-term replacement under contract (4 years) at the CB position for the future.

We also need a S.
I don't want to spend a first round pick on a CB who might see the field 20% this year. We need somebody who can contribute now. I have no problem with safety.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #87
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
He is rey . But rey should have been a 4th round pick in hindsight.
Yea, Rey was very overhyped. Te'o is a better player and dont forget that Brandon Spikes ran a 5.0 and still went 2nd round.

It could be BS but a few days ago i saw Shef or some NFL fish wrap, or it could have been PTF, cant remember...one of them tweeted that MLB wasnt on the radar early for Denver from people in charge. I assume they meant Elway.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-25-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #88
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Yea, Rey was very overhyped. Te'o is a better player and dont forget that Brandon Spikes ran a 5.0 and still went 2nd round.

It could be BS but a few days ago i saw Shef or some NFL fish warp, or it could have been PTF, cant remeber...one of them tweeted that MLB wasnt on the radar early for Denver from people in charge. I assume they meant Elway.
Based on what I'm seeing out of the guys some people were hoping we would take I hope that's true. None of the Mikes in this draft look like good fits for us at #28.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #89
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Like I said in the combine thread, he posted similar numbers to Minter who has a first round grade, albiet late, I'm thinking they both go in the first.
I doubt it. Their first round grades were dependent on them having 3-down Mike speed. Neither of them seem to have that though. I think they both drop to the 2nd at this point.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #90
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I don't want to spend a first round pick on a CB who might see the field 20% this year. We need somebody who can contribute now. I have no problem with safety.
Broncos 3rd CB probably plays more then 20%. So if a rookie or FA beat out Carter for the 3rd spot he would probably be on the field close to half the time.

2 really good CB may fall to Denver and I think they would be hard to pass. But more likely the mocks are wrong and guys like Rhodes, Poyer and Trufant are gone by the time we pick. But there could be 4 CB in the first round IMO.

I feel that way just because virtually every team could use better CB's IMO. 2 good ones not enough anymore when teams throw 4 WR out there and TE who can run like WR.

I'd be stoked with Desmond Trufant.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #91
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
usually, but not always. and the active 46 usually doesn't.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #92
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
usually, but not always. and the active 46 usually doesn't.
Wrong again.

Usually where they tap ST talent.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #93
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
College INTs are about as good a measure of ability as their zodiac sign. He had 0 INTs in his first 3 seasons combined, the INTs he had this year is an outlier. 4.8 is about what he will do, he might get it up to 4.75 at his pro day, but he is not an athletic guy like Von Miller.
Oh come on. Compared to Miller every lineman or linebacker in the league is a snail.

If Teo is there at 28 I have to believe the Broncos take him off the boards.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #94
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Oh come on. Compared to Miller every lineman or linebacker in the league is a snail.

If Teo is there at 28 I have to believe the Broncos take him off the boards.
Teo was 20th out of 26 for the 40
Compared to NFL linebackers he is a bit slow

That said I think we probably would take him if we fell to us
But not overly impressed with him at the moment

The bama game was pathetic, and he is showing us there is nothing special about him from a talent standpoint
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #95
ak1971
uhhhh

I didnt read anything in this thread...but my wife blurted this out in the car coming home tonight...

" I dont care if the guy ****s donkeys at night, if he can play pick him up'
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #96
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Teo sounding more like a 2nd round pick people.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #97
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Teo sounding more like a 2nd round pick people.
If Denver took a DT in the first and Te'o in the 2nd I would not be pissed. I still am hesitant about the drama he would bring. I am still recovering from Tebowitis.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #98
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If Denver took a DT in the first and Te'o in the 2nd I would not be pissed. I still am hesitant about the drama he would bring. I am still recovering from Tebowitis.
I just don't think linebacker seems like a juicy position in this years draft. Not smart to try and fix a need in a year where maybe the players just aren't there to pick from. Broncos have been grooming Irving and probably will probably just pair him up with a journeyman like Brooking.

I think Broncos will look at CB and Safety and plan on removing the MLB from the field often. Let's see how the CB run to see how far in the first they will fall.

I could care less what position they take in each round. I just hope we find a couple starters in each draft. If we keep finding a couple good players each offseason you will end up with a really good team. I would love a stud MLB but they guy doesn't seem there this year. I have no idea though just going on what i am reading and hearing.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #99
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I just don't think linebacker seems like a juicy position in this years draft. Not smart to try and fix a need in a year where maybe the players just aren't there to pick from. Broncos have been grooming Irving and probably will probably just pair him up with a journeyman like Brooking.

I think Broncos will look at CB and Safety and plan on removing the MLB from the field often. Let's see how the CB run to see how far in the first they will fall.

I could care less what position they take in each round. I just hope we find a couple starters in each draft. If we keep finding a couple good players each offseason you will end up with a really good team. I would love a stud MLB but they guy doesn't seem there this year. I have no idea though just going on what i am reading and hearing.
WTF dude, we are all experts this time of year, don't puss out now.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #100
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

How fast a guy runs in a straight line in shorts isn't a quality measure of football ability.

There's too many factors that go into running a good 40, pretty much none of which matter when a player hits the field.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote