The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #76
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

I'm seeing several people suggesting I take Rhodes @ 28 if he is available. I understand the BPA theory, but we have a small window with Peyton and I'm thinking we should get a player who can contribute at a position of need. Thoughts?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #77
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

im all for tavon austin.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #78
NickStixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
im all for tavon austin.
He's not going to be there at #28
Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #79
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Neither is Rhodes.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #80
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Where the hell is Steve Atwater when you need him?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #81
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I'm seeing several people suggesting I take Rhodes @ 28 if he is available. I understand the BPA theory, but we have a small window with Peyton and I'm thinking we should get a player who can contribute at a position of need. Thoughts?

Rhodes would contribute right away. Dude is freaking insane. I for one want him the most out of any picks that would come sort of remotely close to us. Plus, he can take over for champ when champ is gone.

There are still plenty of RB, OL and WR in this draft to get a bit later that can make an immediate impact.

Rhodes wont fall to us though.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #82
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
He's not going to be there at #28
What's funny is when I first started pimping Austin, I was told he wasn't worth taking in the first because of his size. Now look at him.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #83
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Al Davis would pick Austin in the 1st, That should answer any thoughts you entertained about picking him. I am not sold at all.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #84
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
What's funny is when I first started pimping Austin, I was told he wasn't worth taking in the first because of his size. Now look at him.
I still think when it all said and done, he goes in the early 2nd and not the first. He is a slot/KR/PR player and going to help a team but I don't think teams are going to reach for Slot WR. I would love if he was sitting there for Denver 2nd round pick.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #85
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Al Davis would pick Austin in the 1st, That should answer any thoughts you entertained about picking him. I am not sold at all.
Other than his size, what are your concerns about him? He's an insane athlete, he has some power for his size, catches the ball well, and is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #86
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I still think when it all said and done, he goes in the early 2nd and not the first. He is a slot/KR/PR player and going to help a team but I don't think teams are going to reach for Slot WR. I would love if he was sitting there for Denver 2nd round pick.
There is zero chance Tavon Austin is around for Denver's 2nd pick unless he breaks his ankle or gets busted for drugs or something. I tend to doubt he'll be around for the first pick. He's the most exciting player in this draft.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #87
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Other than his size, what are your concerns about him? He's an insane athlete, he has some power for his size, catches the ball well, and is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball.
My concerns are as follows: We already have the fastest guy in the NFL as a return man, who happened to score what, 4 TD's for us this year? Taking a look at our team, our needs do I think that Austin is the missing piece to take us to the next level.. hands down NO. We gave up over 30 points to Baltimore, I feel our most glaring needs are on the other side of the ball, then RB and OL. I do not think as we currently sit, Austin is a player we should spend our 1st round pick on. Size never had anything to do with it, though I am curious to see how well he fares versus a hard nosed defensive team that is full of hard hitters.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #88
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

I wouldn't complain about Austin at 28, if he's there. It brings explosion that this offense doesn't have. You can't cover him with a LB or a saftey. You have to put a corner on him, which opens things up outside for DT. It also gives this offense the 1 play scoring capability that they lack now.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #89
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
My concerns are as follows: We already have the fastest guy in the NFL as a return man, who happened to score what, 4 TD's for us this year? Taking a look at our team, our needs do I think that Austin is the missing piece to take us to the next level.. hands down NO. We gave up over 30 points to Baltimore, I feel our most glaring needs are on the other side of the ball, then RB and OL. I do not think as we currently sit, Austin is a player we should spend our 1st round pick on. Size never had anything to do with it, though I am curious to see how well he fares versus a hard nosed defensive team that is full of hard hitters.
Fair enough, that's much different from not believing in him as a player.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #90
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

I'm down with Fluker if he's there. Screw it, time to boss hawg folks. Draft the best CB remaining in the 2nd...and don't look back.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #91
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I still think Trufant over Rhodes even though Rhodes does have a freaky size speed ratio. But.......I think Trufant when you watch highlights turns his hips quicker and seems more natural corner to me.

I do think though the top 4 cbs could all be gone by the time we pick. These mocks around the internet always fail to consider how much NFL values speed on the back end.

guards will fall, corners will rise.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #92
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Since San Fran has a ton of picks, and really needs a starting corner, they could try and trade up further into the first round.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #93
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Desmond Trufant only has 6 interceptions his entire 4-year college career. Though I agree he is a lock for the 1st round.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #94
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Desmond Trufant only has 6 interceptions his entire 4-year college career. Though I agree he is a lock for the 1st round.
wow... somehow this stat shocked me
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #95
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
wow... somehow this stat shocked me
I am never shocked when i read similiar stats about Champ Bailey.
Usually its a really good reason that a CB that is considered a 1st round lock
doesnt have insane numbers. Like no one throws his way.

A four-year starter, Trufant earned his way onto the field as a true freshman in 2009 and showed steady progression over his career. He set career-bests in 2011 as a junior with a pair of interceptions and 16 passes defended, but decided to return for his senior year. Although his senior stats weren't as impressive (1 interception, 9 passes defended), teams mostly stayed away from Trufant's side of the field as he was easily the top defender on the Huskies' roster. While he needs to refine his technique and is far from a polished product, there is no question he has the fluidity and competitiveness to fight for a spot in the first round.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #96
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
I am never shocked when i read similiar stats about Champ Bailey.
Usually its a really good reason that a CB that is considered a 1st round lock
doesnt have insane numbers. Like no one throws his way.

A four-year starter, Trufant earned his way onto the field as a true freshman in 2009 and showed steady progression over his career. He set career-bests in 2011 as a junior with a pair of interceptions and 16 passes defended, but decided to return for his senior year. Although his senior stats weren't as impressive (1 interception, 9 passes defended), teams mostly stayed away from Trufant's side of the field as he was easily the top defender on the Huskies' roster. While he needs to refine his technique and is far from a polished product, there is no question he has the fluidity and competitiveness to fight for a spot in the first round.
Plus, he played a ton of Man coverage which is not as conducive to INT's as the player usually is playing trail technique, versus biting on routes in zone like Asante (overrated) Samuel. Samuel routinely gets Burned when he has to play man coverage nad especially press man.

You top INT CB's are usually Zone system and watching the QB, not Press man CB's.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #97
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Plus, he played a ton of Man coverage which is not as conducive to INT's as the player usually is playing trail technique, versus biting on routes in zone like Asante (overrated) Samuel. Samuel routinely gets Burned when he has to play man coverage nad especially press man.

You top INT CB's are usually Zone system and watching the QB, not Press man CB's.
I just love that he was left to fend for himself in man coverage so often.
I also like his family pedigree and that his brothers play in the NFL right now.
I personally think it will push him to become elite at the NFL level. Just my 2 cents on him, but having him in DEN for a couple years watching, learning and playing with Champ Bailey until he retires would be great.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #98
uplink
Ring of Famer

I think its going to be Manti if he is there when the broncos pick. Having a guy with intangibles at the MLB spot is important, a guy who can run the defense on the field. Another Elway 1st round pick, another instant starter on defense.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #99
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Since San Fran has a ton of picks, and really needs a starting corner, they could try and trade up further into the first round.
I think they land Revis.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #100
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post

Trufant is the real deal, he has an outstanding mindset for the NFL, he has prototypical size and athleticism and very good technique. His tackling is suspect, but in press-man coverage that is not nearly as important as it would be in a predominantly zone cover scheme.

Xavier Rhodes is another guy who is very interesting at the CB position, he has the same kind of size as the guys in Seattle and speed to spare, he uses the sideline very effectively and I think in press-man he could really shine as a LCB who could take on bigger number 1 WRs.

As far as DTs, I am looking at Sylvester Williams, Jonathan Hankins and Sheldon Richardson in the 1st. I believe they all have the type of size and power we need at DT to create space for our DEs and linebackers.

I am not sure there is a MLB I am really sold on in the 1st round. I was really disappointed with the group at the combine, after seeing guys like Kuechly, Von Miller just tear it up seeing the guys this year was a let down. Ogletree has the athletic ability but I am not sold on his personality, especially not stepping into a leadership position like MLB.

Tavon Austin is a guy I am not big on, he is too skinny and too much of a sandlot player. He makes his plays in that crazy spread where he has tons of room to work with and can use his speed and quickness to create separation, I think in the NFL he will struggle to find that kind of space and his size means he will be easy to redirect at the line. I think Markus Wheaton and Stedman Bailey are better slot WR prospects, they have better size and strength and run much better routes which is very important for a slot guy.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: