The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #76
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
are you kidding me?

Baltimore had Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce a 2nd and 3rd round pick respectively
San Francisco has Frank Gore a 3rd round pick
Pats have Stevan Ridley a 3rd round pick

3 of the final 4 teams in the NFL playoffs this past season had at least a 3rd round pick at the RB position.

i'm not saying take Lacy in the 1st, but it is a smart idea to use a quality pick on a RB. in the playoffs a team needs to be able to run and Denver couldn't. Get a guy like Bell in the 2nd or 3rd and that changes completely.
Over the past two seasons, the "final four" teams were made up of quite a few teams that either sucked running the ball or were mediocre at it. Denver was better than ALL of them in 2011 and better than or comparable to two of them (including the SB winner) in 2012.

Of the 8 teams in question, their rankings in the regular season were as follows:

32 (Giants in 2011)
29 (Falcons in 2012)
20 (Pats in 2011)
11 (Ravens in 2012)
10 (Ravens in 2011)
8 (49ers in 2011)
7 (Pats in 2012)
4 (49ers in 2012)
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #77
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

He is so done, pass on that junk
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #78
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Has this thread been bump from 2008?
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #79
Bacchus

I say Cut Moreno, keep McGahee for the final year of his contract and let him, Jeremiah Johnson, Ronnie Hillman, Mario Fannin and a rookie battle it out. I just do not see upside to bringing in a FA at this point.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #80
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I say Cut Moreno, keep McGahee for the final year of his contract and let him, Jeremiah Johnson, Ronnie Hillman, Mario Fannin and a rookie battle it out. I just do not see upside to bringing in a FA at this point.
It's good your not the GM.

Denver should upgrade the RB position via draft/Free Agency. And I don't care if they use a #1 pick to do it.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #81
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Definitely cut Moreno. And definitely draft another RB. I seriously doubt Fanning or JJ make the team next year. I'm thinking it will be WM, RH, Draft Pick and maybe one more RB/FB who's a special teams player.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #82
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Not to nitpick, but McGahee still has two years remaining on his contract.

7/30/2011: Signed a four-year, $9.5 million contract. The deal contains $3 million guaranteed, including a $2 million signing bonus. 2013: $2.5 million, 2014: $2 million, 2015: Free Agent
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #83
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I wouldn't be so quick to simply cut Moreno. It would cost the same or more against the cap to cut him vs keeping him for one more year. Cut Ball.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #84
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
why would you cut Moreno and keep McGahee, the mountain man, and Fannin around to share with Hillman?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #85
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
It's good your not the GM.

Denver should upgrade the RB position via draft/Free Agency. And I don't care if they use a #1 pick to do it.
Isn't that what I said, well draft a RB. FBs have proven over and over again to FAIL!!! Now if they want to get a Dwyer who is still very young than that would be fine but no to Turner, Jackson, Williams, Greene or any of the other old, slow, or under producing RBs out there.

Good thing you aren't GM!!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #86
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
why would you cut Moreno and keep McGahee, the mountain man, and Fannin around to share with Hillman?
McGahee is the better RB and he only has a 1 year deal left worth $2.5 mill. Moreno has a salary cap figure of $3.18. Neither are long term answers and right now McGahee is better.

If they want to bring Moreno into camp that would be cool as well. Just don't start wasting cap money on RBs you will be paying 3 years after they flop out of the league.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #87
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
McGahee is the better RB and he only has a 1 year deal left worth $2.5 mill.
Moreno outplayed him last year and, as I pointed out above, McGahee has TWO years left on his contract, not one.

Quote:
Moreno has a salary cap figure of $3.18.
McGahee's is higher.

Quote:
If they want to bring Moreno into camp that would be cool as well. Just don't start wasting cap money on RBs you will be paying 3 years after they flop out of the league.
They wouldn't be "wasting" any more money on Moreno than McGahee. Both have two years remaining on their deals.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #88
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
McGahee is the better RB and he only has a 1 year deal left worth $2.5 mill. Moreno has a salary cap figure of $3.18. Neither are long term answers and right now McGahee is better.
I think the bolded is highly debatable, but that doesn't answer my question as to why Denver should let Moreno go while keeping Fannin and the Mountain Man around. Neither has really done anything of note in the league and Johnson is a slower COP RB than Hillman. Not sure what Denver gains from dumping Moreno and replacing him with those guys.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #89
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Who ever saw Elway's presser knows how much he values KM. KM ain't going anywhere people. Deal with it.
Heyneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #90
capt. Jack

I think so, all we need is a strong ground game, and we win it all !
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #91
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post
I think so, all we need is a strong ground game, the referees to learn how to call PI, and we win it all !
FIFY!!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #92
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
I think the bolded is highly debatable, but that doesn't answer my question as to why Denver should let Moreno go while keeping Fannin and the Mountain Man around. Neither has really done anything of note in the league and Johnson is a slower COP RB than Hillman. Not sure what Denver gains from dumping Moreno and replacing him with those guys.
Well, if you would have quoted everything I said you will have noticed that I did say I did not care if they brought Moreno in to compete. His cut is strictly for salary cap purposes. My main idea is not to bring in a FA RB and to build through the draft. What are you a politician taking everything out of context?

Bring them all in draft a RB and let them fight it out. I am pretty sure Moreno will be cut but let him come to camp.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #93
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

Does Moreno make way more than he should? I guess I don't get the rush to get rid of him, we would have been in big trouble this past season without him. I think Ball and Hester are practice squad material, if we find something better in the draft they are replaceable.

Hillman I'm not sure about, pretty disappointed he is so one dimensional, very little upside so far.

At this stage of win now he might need to ride the pine or bulk up to learn how to block and play on ST.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #94
Bacchus

Quote:
6. Hall of Fame role model: Wisconsin RB Montee Ball had an interesting response when asked about his running style. He said his idol is former Bronco great Terrell Davis, but added, "I feel I run a lot like Curtis Martin." That a college senior knows about the Jets' Hall of Famer, who last played in 2005, tells me something about the kid. A lot of 20-somethings have no idea about anything that occurred before 2010. Ball could be an interesting option for the Jets in the second round (39th overall).
I stand by this one.