The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default So will the new wet backs be coming from North to South?

IN India, people ask you about China, and, in China, people ask you about India: Which country will become the more dominant economic power in the 21st century? I now have the answer: Mexico.

Impossible, you say? Well, yes, Mexico with only about 110 million people could never rival China or India in total economic clout. But here’s what I’ve learned from this visit to Mexico’s industrial/innovation center in Monterrey. Everything you’ve read about Mexico is true: drug cartels, crime syndicates, government corruption and weak rule of law hobble the nation. But that’s half the story. The reality is that Mexico today is more like a crazy blend of the movies “No Country for Old Men” and “The Social Network.”

Something happened here. It’s as if Mexicans subconsciously decided that their drug-related violence is a condition to be lived with and combated but not something to define them any longer. Mexico has signed 44 free trade agreements — more than any country in the world — which, according to The Financial Times, is more than twice as many as China and four times more than Brazil. Mexico has also greatly increased the number of engineers and skilled laborers graduating from its schools. Put all that together with massive cheap natural gas finds, and rising wage and transportation costs in China, and it is no surprise that Mexico now is taking manufacturing market share back from Asia and attracting more global investment than ever in autos, aerospace and household goods.

“Today, Mexico exports more manufactured products than the rest of Latin America put together,” The Financial Times reported on Sept. 19, 2012. “Chrysler, for example, is using Mexico as a base to supply some of its Fiat 500s to the Chinese market.” What struck me most here in Monterrey, though, is the number of tech start-ups that are emerging from Mexico’s young population — 50 percent of the country is under 29 — thanks to cheap, open source innovation tools and cloud computing.

“Mexico did not waste its crisis,” remarked Patrick Kane Zambrano, director of the Center for Citizen Integration, referring to the fact that when Mexican companies lost out to China in the 1990s, they had no choice but to get more productive. Zambrano’s Web site embodies the youthful zest here for using technology to both innovate and stimulate social activism. The center aggregates Twitter messages from citizens about everything from broken streetlights to “situations of risk” and plots them in real-time on a phone app map of Monterrey that warns residents what streets to avoid, alerts the police to shootings and counts in days or hours how quickly public officials fix the problems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/op...e.html?hp&_r=0
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Only for donkey shows in Tijuana and cheap vacations to Puerto Vallarta.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It will be great for us if mexicos economy grows.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wet backs?! Really. I haven't heard that slur in quite some time. I wonder what other slurs will be allowed.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Friedman? The guru of globalization? Please. For every step forward Mexico takes, it takes two steps backwards in corruption.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Meck77

Unrelated but I was in a bar full of green beans aka border patrol recently in Arizona. They were having a bachelor party and having a good time. I was chatting with a couple of them and I asked "Why the hell can we not protect the borders". They flat out said "Oh we could but if we did our funding would shrink". They said there are enough guys, trucks, quads, horses, blimps, planes etc to cover every square inch of the border where nobody would get through. Instead we stagger ourselves defenses all the way up into UTAH. He also said they have drones flying over and they see everything. Multi million dollar drones just buzzing over them watching them cross.

It's too bad I didn't get that video.

If Mexico truly has all these wonderful jobs baja speaks of they wouldn't be running across our border to birth their babies.

Oh and the Colorado senate just approved in state tuition rates to illegals. How does that make sense? http://www.gazette.com/articles/tuit...e-illegal.html

Colorado is really becoming an illegal safe haven.

Last edited by Meck77; 02-25-2013 at 07:12 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Wet backs?! Really. I haven't heard that slur in quite some time. I wonder what other slurs will be allowed.
How about the name "Redskins" it was a derogatory racial slur used to describe the Native Americans but is still embraced by the NFL.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Unrelated but I was in a bar full of green beans aka border patrol recently in Arizona. They were having a bachelor party and having a good time. I was chatting with a couple of them and I asked "Why the hell can we not protect the borders". They flat out said "Oh we could but if we did our funding would shrink". They said there are enough guys, trucks, quads, horses, blimps, planes etc to cover every square inch of the border where nobody would get through. Instead we stagger ourselves defenses all the way up into UTAH. He also said they have drones flying over and they see everything. Multi million dollar drones just buzzing over them watching them cross.

It's too bad I didn't get that video.

If Mexico truly has all these wonderful jobs baja speaks of they wouldn't be running across our border to birth their babies.

Oh and the Colorado senate just approved in state tuition rates to illegals. How does that make sense? http://www.gazette.com/articles/tuit...e-illegal.html

Colorado is really becoming an illegal safe haven.
There you go again. Apparently you don't know the difference between writing an article and posting links to one.

The real reason you have an illegal alien problem is because your corporate over lords want the cheap labor to exploit. Not to mention weakening citizen workers bargaining power.

The heyday of America is over - Sorry not my fault just being real.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Friedman? The guru of globalization? Please. For every step forward Mexico takes, it takes two steps backwards in corruption.
When did you start speaking with authority about things you clearly know nothing about. You think Mexico has a corner on the market of corruption? Check the US lobby system if you want to see how it really done. Mexico is a novice compared to that system.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
How about the name "Redskins" it was a derogatory racial slur used to describe the Native Americans but is still embraced by the NFL.
Redskin IS a racial slur,and just cause it is embraced by the NFL doesn't make redskin any less of a racial slur.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Goobacks from the future.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

So will the new wet backs be coming from North to South?

It's unlikely the Canadians will be rushing south to Detroit.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
There you go again. Apparently you don't know the difference between writing an article and posting links to one.

The real reason you have an illegal alien problem is because your corporate over lords want the cheap labor to exploit. Not to mention weakening citizen workers bargaining power.

The heyday of America is over - Sorry not my fault just being real.
Baja If I'm a mexican with family in Mexico and there are jobs in Mexico (like you claim) why would I leave for America to be "exploited" as cheap labor?
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
When did you start speaking with authority about things you clearly know nothing about. You think Mexico has a corner on the market of corruption? Check the US lobby system if you want to see how it really done. Mexico is a novice compared to that system.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...2.17.00-PM.png

I hear the tourist hunting season has opened down there.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 02-25-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Only slurs against blacks and jews really get people riled up.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Baja If I'm a mexican with family in Mexico and there are jobs in Mexico (like you claim) why would I leave for America to be "exploited" as cheap labor?
Just like the US there are people here from a wide economic strata, the poor uneducated are in a very different situation than the educated growing middle class. Yes the middle class professionals are a growing segment of the population unlike the US where the middle class is shrinking. One other thing, the poor subsistence farmers are the ones going to the US for work and the reason they are doing so is because they can not sell their corn like they had for generations because the US government subsidizes (taxpayer money) the corn they sell here at such a low price that the local farmers can not compete.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...2.17.00-PM.png

I hear the tourist hunting season has opened down there.
Because the main stream news is where you find the truth. You can rely on getting the truth from the corporate controlled US press without question.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Why can't we all just get along?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Only slurs against blacks and jews really get people riled up.
Yes, if you have a sports team called the "Dallas Darkies" the shiet would hit the fan ........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote