The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #76
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

The best Deep Field was the first. See it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Deep_Field

It shows the stages the Hubble went through, starting from the naked eye view, then to a second stage, then to the Deep Field.

I've been trying to find prints of those original Deep Field views from 1995, let me know if you know where to get some.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #77
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Hah, found something similar to the original Deep Field:

http://astrosociety.org/astroshop/in...id=51&parent=1

It shows the the stages from naked eye to deep field. I'm ordering 10 of these, should have ordered 10 from the original Deep Field (and those were from the Astronomical Society of the Pacific also).
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #78
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
You can see the Milky Way with the naked eye if its dark enough. I was up in Sedona AZ and my wife and I went to this star gazing thing. The guy had a pretty good telescope. He pointed at a point in the Milky Way area. Through the telescope was stars every where. He said that every "star" was actually between 300-500 more stars. It's was pretty cool.
Every "star" you see with the naked eye is actually a galaxy, not 300-500 stars.

This is why I posted the link to astrosociety.org above. The posters they print show the progression from the naked eye to the Deep Field. It's surprising people haven't made the connection between stars and galaxies despite 18 years since the first Hubble Deep Field photos. It's just too awesome for some people to grasp I guess or just lack of exposure.

Here's another link to print Hubble photos:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/printshop/
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #79
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
So many good nebula pictures, the eagle, horsehead, crab, orion. Many earthrise pictures were taken from the moon, some of them are truly amazing.

Not a lot of things I would die for, but I would take a one way trip into space.
Keep in mind some of these Hubble pics are enhanced, so to speak. See here for the explanation:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/behind...lor/hubble.php

Some features of the Universe are not visible to the naked eye because they are only in spectrums that our eyes cannot deal with.

Which makes the Deep Field that much more awesome, because it's not enhanced, it's just what you'd see if you had super vision. I ordered 10 of those posters from astrosociety.org, I made the mistake of only ordering three of the original Deep Fields, much to my regret. I don't like to make the same mistake twice.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #80
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Every "star" you see with the naked eye is actually a galaxy, not 300-500 stars.

This is why I posted the link to astrosociety.org above. The posters they print show the progression from the naked eye to the Deep Field. It's surprising people haven't made the connection between stars and galaxies despite 18 years since the first Hubble Deep Field photos. It's just too awesome for some people to grasp I guess or just lack of exposure.

Here's another link to print Hubble photos:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/printshop/
I know. However, Sirius, the brightest Star in the sky is a Star and not a galaxy.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #81
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
I know. However, Sirius, the brightest Star in the sky is a Star and not a galaxy.
True. One star among all those billions of lights is a star. All the rest visible to the naked eye are galaxies. It's awesome to me.

Except for the Milky Way, of course. The Milky Way is our own galaxy, hence it's so prominent.

It's so prominent because we are way out on one of the Milky Way's spiral arms, way out there on the spiral arm, that's why the Milky Way moves across the sky from season to season, we rotate around it. Awesome we're just a tiny speck on a spiral arm of one galaxy among billions of galaxies.

EDIT: We don't rotate around the Milky Way, it's the rotation of the Earth that makes it look that way. We're just way out on one of the spiral arms of the Milky Way galaxy.

Last edited by Cito Pelon; 02-24-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #82
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

I can't wait for the James Webb deep field, that is going to be something. I really wish our government would invest more money into NASA, I understand the reasoning for the budget cuts, but its one of the greatest opportunities for technological development in this country. Space X and Googles first enterprise upon receiving the corporate go ahead was to develop plans for space mining. That's a great opportunity, but its not conducted with the same vision of curiosity. Granted we will learn a lot from the new fiscal backing of Corporate space programs, the theoretical research will not be emphasized. I am also afraid of the privatization of information for capital gain. It's relative to the genome race in the potential danger of patented knowledge. I believe that Musk wouldn't try to pull something like that, mostly because of his philanthropic contributions to Science education, but he is not going to be alone at the head if manned operations for long, and that's when I begin to worry.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #83
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
I can't wait for the James Webb deep field, that is going to be something. I really wish our government would invest more money into NASA, I understand the reasoning for the budget cuts, but its one of the greatest opportunities for technological development in this country. Space X and Googles first enterprise upon receiving the corporate go ahead was to develop plans for space mining. That's a great opportunity, but its not conducted with the same vision of curiosity. Granted we will learn a lot from the new fiscal backing of Corporate space programs, the theoretical research will not be emphasized. I am also afraid of the privatization of information for capital gain. It's relative to the genome race in the potential danger of patented knowledge. I believe that Musk wouldn't try to pull something like that, mostly because of his philanthropic contributions to Science education, but he is not going to be alone at the head if manned operations for long, and that's when I begin to worry.
Yep, I agree well said
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #84
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
True. One star among all those billions of lights is a star. All the rest visible to the naked eye are galaxies. It's awesome to me.

Except for the Milky Way, of course. The Milky Way is our own galaxy, hence it's so prominent.

It's so prominent because we are way out on one of the Milky Way's spiral arms, way out there on the spiral arm, that's why the Milky Way moves across the sky from season to season, we rotate around it. Awesome we're just a tiny speck on a spiral arm of one galaxy among billions of galaxies.

EDIT: We don't rotate around the Milky Way, it's the rotation of the Earth that makes it look that way. We're just way out on one of the spiral arms of the Milky Way galaxy.
Dude I know. I don't find anything more fascinating than the universe. Growing up through elementary school we took a lot of field trips to the planetarium. There are also a ton of observatories down here in AZ. The one in Flagstaff is pretty awesome.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #85
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Dude I know. I don't find anything more fascinating than the universe. Growing up through elementary school we took a lot of field trips to the planetarium. There are also a ton of observatories down here in AZ. The one in Flagstaff is pretty awesome.
No light pollution. One of the reasons I try to keep the colorado population down.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #86
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Sorry Zona, but fakes don't count.
Definitely, tons of fakes ... I use space shots for my desktop, and the web overflows with phonies, there's a million and one of them.

I like the ones that look fake, but are real. Like this Saturn shot ... looks like a drawing, or maybe an animation or computer generated image. But it's real, got it off NASA's site.

These time-lapse shots are striking, but i suspect the second one is not entirely genuine ....

This purporting to be a real-life E.T. shot seems fishy .....

This one MUST be phony. The LEM is intact, that is, the command module and support stage are still attached. But that happens only during landing, as the lower stage is left behind when they takeoff. The Apollo missions were clicking off every few months there for awhile, so I suppose one crew could have set up a camera to be operated remotely by a later Apollo, but I doubt it. .... (how'd I do, b-steven?)
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #87
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

These are my favorite desktops ..........

I like this one too, but the second one is part phony. Look close, it's just the first pic with the moon moved to the other side, I NEEDED TO SEE MY DESKTOP ICONS!

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 02-26-2013 at 07:39 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #88
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

This is my favorite, though ... I know it's real cause I took it myself.

Rare occurrence, guesses anybody?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #89
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

A lunar eclipse!?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #90
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Kinda I guess ... no, that's the Moon and Venus, the the two closest objects to Earth. Taken in 2007.

Next quiz: "Keep Looking Up!" as Tomita plays Debussy and you don't know Jack. What am I talking about?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #91
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

NOVA recently aired an episode called Earth From Space that was really interesting and has some excellent animation. All about satellites.

Good stuff.

Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #92
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Coworker just sent me a flyer from a Wisconsin based astronomy club about a comet coming up in about 10 days called Pan Starrs, that will be visible from March 10th-16th (dates based on a Wisconsin perspective).

I looked it up in my Orion Starry Nights software (from a central NC perspective) and this is what it will look like at 6:40 pm in the western sky. Look at it's juxtaposition with the moon, pretty cool.

Wow, look at the apparent magnitude! Thing is going to be almost as bright as Saturn!!
Attached Images

Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #93
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Keep in mind some of these Hubble pics are enhanced, so to speak. See here for the explanation:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/behind...lor/hubble.php

Some features of the Universe are not visible to the naked eye because they are only in spectrums that our eyes cannot deal with.

Which makes the Deep Field that much more awesome, because it's not enhanced, it's just what you'd see if you had super vision. I ordered 10 of those posters from astrosociety.org, I made the mistake of only ordering three of the original Deep Fields, much to my regret. I don't like to make the same mistake twice.
They are all enhanced and put in false color, there is nothing more boring than looking at raw telescope data. I did a project on correcting errors in observations such as errors in adaptive optics or overexposure using channel decomposition to determine temperature and magnitude.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #94
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Kinda I guess ... no, that's the Moon and Venus, the the two closest objects to Earth. Taken in 2007.

Next quiz: "Keep Looking Up!" as Tomita plays Debussy and you don't know Jack. What am I talking about?
Was it taken by one of the Mars missions?

Claire De Lune?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #95
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

no rover pics? I like!
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #96
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Mars Global Surveyor snapping a pic of the Phoenix Lander.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #97
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post

no rover pics? I like!
From Space...

Still cool though!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #98
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I'd talk stars and galaxies any day of the week with this hottie (Amy Mainzer - PhD in Astronomy)

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #99
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post

no rover pics? I like!
Really, if you think about it, this is sad. In 1969 we landed men on the moon. In 1975 (I think) we sent an unmanned rover to Mars (what was that again, the Viking missions?).

It's 2013 and this is all we got? Really?

We should be absolutely ashamed of ourselves.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #100
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I'd talk stars and galaxies any day of the week with this hottie (Amy Mainzer - PhD in Astronomy)

Hey Annie, what's all this molecule stuff?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote