The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #126
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
BTW I agree with you that Black on Black violence is a very real issue, nobody could deny that but tell me if it is not a socioeconomic problem what the underling issue that is the problem.
how about too many broken homes without fathers......happens more in black communities than any other....too many people in this country dismiss the importance of a positive male role model in the upbringing of a child.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #127
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
1) Pony already said he's not white.

2) If that's the case, it's deplorable and I think that Facebook should change their policy. In fact, I'll even write them an email about it.

3) It literally has nothing to do with the case.

As far as your other example goes, it would depend on the circumstances, but I'm sure the case could be made for the nurse that she felt threatened by the guy who requested no black nurses who had a swastika tattoo on his arm. A nurse could not, however, just refuse to serve a white guy for no other reason than "he's white".

And you're right, spdirty (and I) should probably not have said "illegal request", but rather "request which is illegal to grant". Small (but important?) distinction...somehow I think you understood what we meant, though.

I think you've wandered pretty far off the reservation here we are talking about a father's request to have no black nurses look after his baby in the neonatal intensive care. I’m pretty sure the baby didn't have a swastika tattoo or was any kind of threat.

Maybe he was afraid the black nurse wouldn’t hug the racists white baby but only gives out hugs to black babies, it does happen just look at the racist white rabbit.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #128
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
That could be a great country song.
Well it already is a rock and roll song....George wrote this after being sued by his former band mates John, Paul, and Ringo....of course George counter sued.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #129
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The day we breed ourselves into all one color is the day racism will end/
...and yet we have liberals telling us we should embrace diversity....so when we're all the same color how will we be diverse?

But I wonder what the excuses will be if that happened? And if racism didn't exist because we were all the same color, then what comes next? We all become transexuals to stop sex discrimination? We become Logan's Run to stop age discrimination? we all become one religion to stop religious discrimination?

I was raised that not everyone is going to like me for whatever reasons they have.......and that calling me a name isn't going to determine what my life's outcome is going to be.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #130
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You realize there's no lawsuit, right?

The people just asked for an apology and disciplinary action. In response, they got a letter from Disney offering them $500 in shut up money. It wasn't until then that they hired a lawyer. This is all in the video. It's a shame I have to repeat it.
If they hired a lawyer, they intend to sue....why else would they hire a lawyer?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #131
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think you've wandered pretty far off the reservation here we are talking about a (swastika tattoo-having) father's request (which would be illegal for the hospital to grant) to have no black nurses look after his baby in the neonatal intensive care. I’m pretty sure the baby didn't have a swastika tattoo or was any kind of threat.

Maybe he was afraid the black nurse wouldn’t hug the racists white baby but only gives out hugs to black babies, it does happen just look at the racist white rabbit.
Fixed your post to show you the facts that you left out. Facts that, while they're convenient for you to forget, won't be forgotten when this inevitably gets settled.

If you can't see the absurdity of the rest of the tripe you typed, we're done here until you can sufficiently explain how an apology and disciplinary action are okay under one situation, but when they're requested in a similar situation involving race, they're not deserved, and somehow now both parties are only in it for the money, despite one party turning down $500.

PS: It wouldn't matter if the baby were half-black with a birthmark that said "I love people of all colors, and so does my dad." The fact remains that any request based on race to limit what nurses can handle your baby is illegal for the hospital to grant. What part of that is too hard for you to understand?

Quote:
If they hired a lawyer, they intend to sue....why else would they hire a lawyer?
Read. The. Article.

They hired the lawyer after they were offered $500 shut up money, which they refused, and stated they only wanted an apology and disciplinary action. I would have done the same.

Last edited by houghtam; 02-24-2013 at 11:22 AM..
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #132
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Oh look.

Precedent.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca...47218935997244
Old 02-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #133
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You follow it and let us know ok? Sure she may get 50 grand or something who knows but in Calif they have gotten a little tighter with judgements since the late 90's where most of your examples came from.
This case was apparently settled very quickly. $110,000 to the one plaintiff, $45,000 to the other two.

Quote:
Frankenmuth attorney Julie Gafkay, who represented the women, said the size of the settlement, particularly since there was no monetary loss, supports the claim that the nurses were wronged.
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...nearly_20.html

Depending on how long she worked there, in Flint that's probably 2-3 years' salary, easy. I'd say that's sizable.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 AM   #134
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
This case was apparently settled very quickly. $110,000 to the one plaintiff, $45,000 to the other two.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...nearly_20.html

Depending on how long she worked there, in Flint that's probably 2-3 years' salary, easy. I'd say that's sizable.
Still anyone who thinks little settlements like that are alot isn't in the legal field. She probably deserved it. We just did a case where someone was wrongfully terminated, proved it, and they are getting 1 full yrs salary (90 grand). A fair deal as it takes that long or even more to rebuild career.

Not surprised the did 100 grand as the difference between 50 and 100 when it comes to paying for attorney fees is nothing. Often the big enitity is more worried about losing big in court.

Still i stand by my comment that people are wrong if they thing it is super easy to just sue people and win. It's tough to win a big settlement. For all the ones you hear about I could give you 3 where the person probably deserved money and got nothing.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #135
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Remember 30-35% goes str8 to the lawyers/
Old 02-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #136
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Houghtam whats sort of funny is the firm i work at does a lot of slip and falls for Pacfic Theaters. Man a lot of crazy **** happens in theaters. We have a case where the lady says she slipped on butter from spilled popcorn.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 AM   #137
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Houghtam whats sort of funny is the firm i work at does a lot of slip and falls for Pacfic Theaters. Man a lot of crazy **** happens in theaters. We have a case where the lady says she slipped on butter from spilled popcorn.
It's easy to do. If you don't hire the right people and train them correctly, theaters are not exactly the safest places on the face of the earth. Think about it. Poorly lit (the companies I worked for purposely turned off the lobby lights as well, using only the illumination from the trailer screens and concessions counters), high traffic, people not paying attention to where they're going, wet floors due to spills and/or inclement weather. And that just the lobby.

Now that I think of it, if I were handicapped or elderly, I would avoid those places like the plague, unless I knew the place was well kept up. I never had a problem at any of the theaters in my districts, and both companies overall were pretty good about that sort of thing, but I've been to about a dozen Regal theaters nationwide, and haven't had very good luck. Same with Carmike.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #138
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

All theaters can really do is have a great cleaning routine where the employees sign off on each thing, for each time slot.

Also some theaters are crazy and install tile floors in the lobby that get really slippery when wet. We have an expert that actually can test how slippery a floor was. Some of them come back ridiculously slippery when wet. It makes you wonder who designs theaters and why they don't learn their lessons.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #139
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
All theaters can really do is have a great cleaning routine where the employees sign off on each thing, for each time slot.

Also some theaters are crazy and install tile floors in the lobby that get really slippery when wet. We have an expert that actually can test how slippery a floor was. Some of them come back ridiculously slippery when wet. It makes you wonder who designs theaters and why they don't learn their lessons.
It's because the types of tile that are designed to keep from getting slippery are more expensive and hold more dirt, so they are a lot more difficult to deep clean, so they end up looking like **** in a few years. Cheaper tile is easier to keep clean, and most theaters figure with the right training and staffing you can avoid accidents in the first place.

Also if you have an active management team, one of them should be in the lobby more or less at all times. If you're ever in a theater and there is not a manager out on the floor watching and listening to make sure everything is okay, you're going to the wrong place.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #140
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
The a-hole dad wasn't the patient, if the hospital turned away the baby and something happen to the baby, well now we are talking a law suite in the millions.
Then you tell the Dad that we are here to care for his baby and whoever is on staff is capable of doing as planned. If he doesn't want a certain type of person on our staff to care for his baby then he will need to get the expenses of moving the child to a facility that can fulfill his wishes.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote