The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #76
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
guards rarely go really high though. Albert is the last guy who was a G that went i think top 20. and he was seen as a potential OT.
DeCastro was a beast last year and he went kinda low, if he was a OT he would have been top 10-15.
i'd have no problem at all with us taking him or trading up for him.
Mike Pouncey played 3 years at OG at Florida and went 15 in 2011. Without saying too much I will have zero problem taking a OG at number 5 in our mock draft
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #77
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

NFL | Alex Okafor not working out at combine
Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:15:23 -0800

University of Texas DE Alex Okafor (hip) will not participate in thee drills at the NFL Scouting Combine because of a bruised hip flexor he suffered at the Senior Bowl. He said the injury is not serious and will allow the injury to fully heal in time for his Pro Day

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2LlHLGBhZ

NFL | Quinton Patton has met with several teamst
Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:15:49 -0800

Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton said he has met with the Philadelphia Eagles, Minnesota Vikings, San Francisco 49ers, New York Jets, Buffalo Bills and Seattle Seahawks at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2LlI4eG7Y
Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #78
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Welcome to Foxball!
To be fair, if we are going to play Foxball we need way better backs.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #79
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
This is a horrible draft for elite prospects. Most of the top 10 will be filled with guys who typically go 11-20. Usually the 1st interior OL is taken about 17/18 (Bulaga, Pouncey, etc.).
Bulaga was a tackle. and was picked 23rd.
Using the top 25 as a barometer
2000 - None
2001 - Steve Hutchinson G 17th
2003 - Jeff Faine C 21st
2004 - None
2005 - None
2006 - Davin Joseph G 23rd
2007 - None
2008 - Branden Albert G 15th(Taken as a OT)
2009 - Alex Mack C 21
2010 - Mike Iupati G 17th
2010 - Maurkice Pouncy C 18th
2011 - Mike Pouncy C 15th
2011 - Danny Watkins G 23rd
2012 - David DeCastro G 24th

Using the first round as a barometer
2000 - None
2001 - Hutchinson(G) 17th
2002 - Simmons(G) 30th
2003 - Faine(C) 21st
2004 - None
2005 - Spencer(C) 26th, Mankins(G) 32nd
2006 - Josepg(G) 23rd, Mangold(C) 29th
2007 - Grubbs(G) 29th
2008 - Albert(G) 15th, taken as a OT
2009 - Mack(C) 21st, Wood(C) 28th
2010 - Iupati(G) 17th, Pouncey(C) 18th
2011 - Pouncey(C) 15th, Watkins(G) 23rd
2012 - DeCastro(G) 24th, Zeitler(G) 27th

as i said, guards don't normally go top 20. Iupati was the last one and before him it was Albert who was drafted as a OT, before then you have to go all the way back to Hutchinson.

all of those guards who went that high also were seen as top tier, near can't miss guys who were either blocked from playing OT by a better player(Ferguson and Monroe blocked Albert from playing OT at UVA) or just seen as insane talent(Hutchinson,Iupati & DeCastro)
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #80
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Mike Pouncey played 3 years at OG at Florida and went 15 in 2011. Without saying too much I will have zero problem taking a OG at number 5 in our mock draft
3 years OG because his brother was playing C, then moved to C(which improved his draft stock) his last year and was drafted as a C. not to mention his brother was tearing it up as a phenom in Pitt.
the key issue you guys keep missing. i said guards, not interior linemen.
i mean guys who were taken as guards and played guard.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #81
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
3 years OG because his brother was playing C, then moved to C(which improved his draft stock) his last year and was drafted as a C. not to mention his brother was tearing it up as a phenom in Pitt.
the key issue you guys keep missing. i said guards, not interior linemen.
i mean guys who were taken as guards and played guard.
Of course his versitility improved his draft stock.

I think the thing you are missing is guys like Maylock and Todd McShay are calling both Cooper and Warmack elite prospects in a draft that is missing elite players at other postions.

Weve got two guards this year that are just in the elite category, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said. You dont see guys like Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper come around very often.

To be honest with you, there are two beautiful players sitting there, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. I mean, Chance Warmack from Alabama is the best football player I saw on tape this year. And Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina is just a tiny notch behind him.

I could care less about whether or not that's a position of value or not.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 02-23-2013 at 03:47 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #82
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Of course his versitility improved his draft stock.

I think the thing you are missing is guys like Maylock and Todd McShay are calling both Cooper and Warmack elite prospects in a draft that is missing elite players at other postions.

Weve got two guards this year that are just in the elite category, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said. You dont see guys like Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper come around very often.

To be honest with you, there are two beautiful players sitting there, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. I mean, Chance Warmack from Alabama is the best football player I saw on tape this year. And Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina is just a tiny notch behind him.

I could care less about whether or not that's a position of value or not.
not missing it, i just don't believe they will go higher than around 20-24. so many teams need OT and DL help, plus you have 4-5 WR's who could go in round one and 3-4 QB's that will likely go round 1 due to need.

now with an insane combine and pro days that could change but history shows guards don't go very high.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #83
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
not missing it, i just don't believe they will go higher than around 20-24. so many teams need OT and DL help, plus you have 4-5 WR's who could go in round one and 3-4 QB's that will likely go round 1 due to need.

now with an insane combine and pro days that could change but history shows guards don't go very high.

It's going to take a insane combine for a QB to go in the top ten.

There might be teams with OT needs but right now it's looking like there should only be three taken in the first round. Fisher, Johnson, and Joeckel. All could go in the top 15. Fluker should fall, he looks bad IMO.

There isn't a WR in the draft I would take before either of the OG's.

OLB Jarvis Jones would be a lock if not for the neck problems in my eyes.

Cooper has looked impressive today.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 02-23-2013 at 05:04 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #84
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
IAOFM reports that Keenan Allen said the Broncos "really grilled" him during the interview.
I wouldn't complain about Allen, but don't we already have guys of his skillset? I hate to say it, but I would much rather choose a potentially "elite" pass catching TE like Ertz, than a guy like Allen. With the focus of 2 TE sets and mismatches in the current NFL, we really could benefit from a faster receiving TE.

I know, I know. We already invested heavily last year in the TE position. I'm still not sold that our guys can get open against the best defenses in the league. A guy like Ertz with Manning would be deadly.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #85
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quition Patton only did 8 reps on the bench. Second lowest of the WR's. Markus Wheaton did 20.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #86
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:

It's going to take a insane combine for a QB to go in the top ten.

There might be teams with OT needs but right now it's looking like there should only be three taken in the first round. Fisher, Johnson, and Joeckel. All could go in the top 15. Fluker should fall, he looks bad IMO.

There isn't a WR in the draft I would take before either of the OG's.

OLB Jarvis Jones would be a lock if not for the neck problems in my eyes.

Cooper has looked impressive today.
personally i think Cooper and Warmack are top 5-10 talents in this draft.
i just don't think the draft will play out for them that high.
QB's always get overdrafted due to need.
i think at least two teams reach for QB's in the first.
Geno Smith will likely be the #1 QB off the board, i think Glennon will wow some team and they'll pluck him off the board after Smith. then Barkley will get grabbed as a value pick around 20-25, then Wilson or Nassib will sneak into the first as a 25-32 pick.

i mean Ponder went from a mid 2nd to the #12 overall pick, Tannehill was a 2nd rounder(a high 2nd) that vaulted up to #8 due to potential and need.

you look at all the teams needing a WR in this draft(Mia,GB,SF,SEA,Det,Cle,Buf,Nyj,SD,Stl,Min,Hou & NE) with Patterson,Allen,Hopkins,Austin having 1st round grades. Hunter,Woods,Patton and Williams have the potential to move up into the first with good showings.
the NFL is moving to more of a passing league and with several guys soon to be FA's, teams with young QB's that need WR's and the overall lack of stand out elite guys it will cause the draft to be a bit wierder than normal.

Cooper is making me want the team to trade up and get him right now.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #87
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I wouldn't complain about Allen, but don't we already have guys of his skillset? I hate to say it, but I would much rather choose a potentially "elite" pass catching TE like Ertz, than a guy like Allen. With the focus of 2 TE sets and mismatches in the current NFL, we really could benefit from a faster receiving TE.

I know, I know. We already invested heavily last year in the TE position. I'm still not sold that our guys can get open against the best defenses in the league. A guy like Ertz with Manning would be deadly.
Ertz and Eifert could potentially fall to round 2 and would be better value there than at #28. Allen is a potential #1 WR who can play multiple position and would give Manning a potential Harrison,Wayne,Stokely corp when he broke the TD record.

Allen,Williams and Hunter are the 3 WR's i like best in this draft.
i would love for us to snag Hunter in the 2nd or 3rd round assuming he doesn't fly up the boards due to his size and speed. i think he has a chance to be a impact WR with his frame.

Last edited by Lestat; 02-23-2013 at 05:57 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #88
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Wheaton is the stud I have been pimpin' since been pimpin'.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #89
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

For those of you who are looking for a 4 down MLB for the Broncos, Arthur Brown is a far better option than Minter IMO, due to Minter's weakness in pass coverage. The only concern about Brown was his size. He measured in at 6' 241 pounds today. I still expect him to run a sub 4.6 40. He's a dynamic player with good coverage skills.

Last edited by Ziggy; 02-23-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #90
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
For those of you who are looking for a 4 down MLB for the Broncos, Arthur Brown is a far better option than Minter IMO, due to Minter's weakness in pass coverage. The only concerns about Brown was his size. He measured in at 6' 241 pounds today. I still expect him to run a sub 4.6 40. He's a dynamic player with good coverage skills.
only 4 MLB's that interest me in this draft are Teo,Minter,Jackson and Bostic
Olgetree does as well but i'm not 100% sure he'll be a MLB in the NFL.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #91
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Bulaga was a tackle. and was picked 23rd.
Sorry, I was thinking of Iupati. Normally, I think Warmack and Cooper would not go before 17. This year, I think both will be drafted in the 10-25 range.

Quote:
For those of you who are looking for a 4 down MLB for the Broncos, Arthur Brown is a far better option than Minter IMO, due to Minter's weakness in pass coverage. The only concerns about Brown was his size. He measured in at 6' 241 pounds today. I still expect him to run a sub 4.6 40. He's a dynamic player with good coverage skills.
Whoa, Brown probably just bought himself 1st round status. That's crazy. He probably just leapfrogged both Te'o and Minter. I bet the Bears select him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Decker should be moved to the slot, and a faster WR should be playing on the outside. I think if one of the top 4 WR's is available at #28, the Broncos will think seriously about taking them. The Broncos need another weapon who can stretch the field other than Demaryious Thomas.

Neither Eifert nor Ertz, offer much over Tamme or Dreessen. We're set at TE.

Last edited by pricejj; 02-23-2013 at 06:31 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #92
Bmore Manning

Quote:
only 4 MLB's that interest me in this draft are Teo,Minter,Jackson and Bostic
Olgetree does as well but i'm not 100% sure he'll be a MLB in the NFL.
Andrew Jackson went back to school..
Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #93
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Looks like you have sweet vindication. Can't believe Brown put on 15 lbs. You can tell he has the mental make-up, determination, and athletic ability to be a star in the NFL. Good call.

He saw a window and took it. 1st interior LB off the board.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #94
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Gerald Hodges is up to 243 as well.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #95
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
i know, i was making a point. poorly worded by me though. Brown doesn't interest me for the Broncos at all. not where he will likely be picked.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #96
Agamemnon

Quote:
Decker should be moved to the slot, and a faster WR should be playing on the outside. I think if one of the top 4 WR's is available at #28, the Broncos will think seriously about taking them. The Broncos need another weapon who can stretch the field other than Demaryious Thomas.
RB (Lacy), G/C, or even TE (Ertz or Eifert) would all make far more sense in the 1st round than a WR (unless the WR is just by far the BPA). Teams with two 1000 yard receivers don't have any business drafting receivers in the first round.

On top of that, Decker is the quintessential #2 possession guy, and has no business being in the slot. A fast, smaller, more agile receiver to play slot can easily be found in latter rounds.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #97
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
IAOFM reports that Keenan Allen said the Broncos "really grilled" him during the interview.
A lot of players taken do not even have contact with the team that takes them.

Damn I hope this is the case here. For the first time this year my annual "Oh hell no, I'll go ballistic" feelings were felt reading this
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #98
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
A lot of players taken do not even have contact with the team that takes them.

Damn I hope this is the case here. For the first time this year my annual "Oh hell no, I'll go ballistic" feelings were felt reading this
You are nuts. Allen is legit.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #99
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Worth moving up for the Broncos? Cooper doesn't get past 15. That's a steep price to pay.
I don't really worry about cost. I'm just saying he is a bonafide stud and more physical then any lineman we have. He would give us some mean and nasty that i think we need inside on the oline.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #100
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I like OG Larry Warford but he probably goes before our pick in the 2nd round. Maybe not though you really never know. If Broncos agree with some of us that we need another guard there are quite a few to choose from that could be solid NFL players.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: