The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #151
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I'm sure I do to some extent. Everyone 'shuns' others they're not comfortable with on some level. But that's not the Christian side of BroncoBeavis talking. And in the context of faith, if I was given an invitation to speak from the heart about my faith to anyone, no matter how twisted or depraved (the people, not the faith ) I'd feel guilty if I refused to do so. No matter who it was. The Klan. NAMBLA. Lesbian Nazi Hookers' Alliance. Planned Parenthood.

Anyone.
Well Timmy was smart enough to 'shun' the Church, and that probably IS the 'Christian side of Timmy talking.

Tim Tebow cancels speech at church

Quote:
Tebow posted a series of tweets Thursday: "While I was looking forward to sharing a message of hope and Christ's unconditional love with the faithful members of the historic First Baptist Church of Dallas in April, due to new information that has been brought to my attention, I have decided to cancel my upcoming appearance. I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring Faith, Hope and Love to all those needing a brighter day. Thank you for all of your love and support. God Bless!"
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #152
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Well Timmy was smart enough to 'shun' the Church, and that probably IS the 'Christian side of Timmy talking.

Tim Tebow cancels speech at church
DALLAS (AP) -- New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow has backed out of an appearance at a Baptist mega church in Dallas run by a pastor who has created controversy with his remarks about gays and other faiths.

Tebow tweeted Thursday that he canceled a scheduled April 28 appearance at First Baptist Church due to ''new information that has been brought to my attention.''

''I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring Faith, Hope and Love to all those needing a brighter day,'' Tebow wrote.

The Rev. Robert Jeffress, First Baptist's pastor, confirmed in a phone interview that Tebow called him Wednesday night to cancel.

Jeffress said Tebow told him he would like to speak at First Baptist at some point, but ''he needed to avoid controversy right now for personal and professional reasons.''

Jeffress has preached that gay sex is sinful, Mormonism is a cult and Islam promotes violence and pedophilia. He said Thursday that First Baptist was being mischaracterized as a ''hate church,'' and that the church's teachings were consistent with historic Christian beliefs.

Tebow wasn't going to speak about anything controversial, Jeffress said.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #153
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
DALLAS (AP) -- New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow has backed out of an appearance at a Baptist mega church in Dallas run by a pastor who has created controversy with his remarks about gays and other faiths.

Tebow tweeted Thursday that he canceled a scheduled April 28 appearance at First Baptist Church due to ''new information that has been brought to my attention.''

''I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring Faith, Hope and Love to all those needing a brighter day,'' Tebow wrote.

The Rev. Robert Jeffress, First Baptist's pastor, confirmed in a phone interview that Tebow called him Wednesday night to cancel.

Jeffress said Tebow told him he would like to speak at First Baptist at some point, but ''he needed to avoid controversy right now for personal and professional reasons.''

Jeffress has preached that gay sex is sinful, Mormonism is a cult and Islam promotes violence and pedophilia. He said Thursday that First Baptist was being mischaracterized as a ''hate church,'' and that the church's teachings were consistent with historic Christian beliefs.

Tebow wasn't going to speak about anything controversial, Jeffress said.
More of a business/PR decision than repudiating the bigotry?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #154
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Glad to see NBC using such neutral language in their reporting, thus living up to the standards of ethics we've come to trust from journalists.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #155
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Why is it only "bigotry" when THEY say it?

Haven't I asked you and yours about speaking beyond simplistic labels before?

Why don't you ever call Jews and Muslims "bigots" for having the same views about homosexuality?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #156
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
Why is it only "bigotry" when THEY say it?

Haven't I asked you and yours about speaking beyond simplistic labels before?

Why don't you ever call Jews and Muslims "bigots" for having the same views about homosexuality?

Start a thread about it and I will.

This thread is about Tebow and his decisions, try and keep up.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #157
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Start a thread about it and I will.

This thread is about Tebow and his decisions, try and keep up.
This thread is about selective attacks on Christians, actually. And your selective moral turd-spatter only proves the point.

I'm still waiting for libs to mass together and attack Jews and Muslims for this. It's as if you sit quietly, lying in wait for a WHITE CHRISTIAN to do it and then you spring out like a Jack in the Box.

You understand that kind of behavior speaks volumes about your own, right?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #158
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #159
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Yes, I can't hear a thing. My point exactly.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #160
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
As I've said, repudiation (ie locking people in a closet to be forgotten) has no value to Christ.

I think Tim's trying to balance the effect the irrational spittle-sprinklers might have at this moment on his career (and by extension, his ministry) That CBS article posted earlier was honestly shameless. But I'd still be perfectly fine with him speaking to that (or any) group. The only thing that matters is what he says to them. I think he could do a lot of good there. But it's totally his call as to whether now is the right time or not.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #161
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
This thread is about selective attacks on Christians, actually. And your selective moral turd-spatter only proves the point.

I'm still waiting for libs to mass together and attack Jews and Muslims for this. It's as if you sit quietly, lying in wait for a WHITE CHRISTIAN to do it and then you spring out like a Jack in the Box.

You understand that kind of behavior speaks volumes about your own, right?
Jews, Muslims, Christians, Mormons they are all the same.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #162
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
As I've said, repudiation (ie locking people in a closet to be forgotten) has no value to Christ.

I think Tim's trying to balance the effect the irrational spittle-sprinklers might have at this moment on his career (and by extension, his ministry) That CBS article posted earlier was honestly shameless. But I'd still be perfectly fine with him speaking to that (or any) group. The only thing that matters is what he says to them. I think he could do a lot of good there. But it's totally his call as to whether now is the right time or not.
I agree.

Had he intended to speak, in some way, about toning down the vitriol coming from that ministry, he would be doing that congregation and his ministry a service. As he will likely speak at a later date, we'll know for sure.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #163
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Jews, Muslims, Christians, Mormons they are all the same.
Our resident harpie has so little faith, she has to attack anyone who would suggest bigotry is present amongst some Christians.

Personally, I find bigotry comes from all factions, regardless their religious beliefs.

Some keep it personal and others preach it from their respective, literal and metaphorical, 'pulpits.'
Old 02-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #164
Bacchus

Quote:
Our resident harpie has so little faith, she has to attack anyone who would suggest bigotry is present amongst some Christians.

Personally, I find bigotry comes from all factions, regardless their religious beliefs.

Some keep it personal and others preach it from their respective, literal and metaphorical, 'pulpits.'
Every religion thinks there's is the best and will kill, lie, cheat, plunder and steal to prove it.

Buddhists are cool though.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #165
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
You're generalizing, be specific.
No i am not I am asking a straight question. If a person goes to give a speech at an organization does that mean he should have to have all their beliefs assigned to him. Or does it mean he is accepting of their positions?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #166
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

People realize the word bigot can mean anyone who lets stereotypes make them intolerant of another group? Hell if you believe things like Republicans only care about themselves, then go out and call repubs evil greedy white loving b****es, you are now a bigot strictly speaking.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #167
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
No i am not I am asking a straight question. If a person goes to give a speech at an organization does that mean he should have to have all their beliefs assigned to him. Or does it mean he is accepting of their positions?
You're talking about an organization. We're talking about a church. A church which teaches there is no grey area in sin, and that if you're not with us you're against us. That seems like all or nothing to me.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #168
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
and that if you're not with us you're against us.
Yeah, there's no way that kind of thinking could ever be used in a political sense.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #169
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, there's no way that kind of thinking could ever be used in a political sense.
You're not really doing your own argument any favors by saying this.

And yes, I suppose it "could be used" politically. The Bible preaches it.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #170
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
You're talking about an organization. We're talking about a church. A church which teaches there is no grey area in sin, and that if you're not with us you're against us. That seems like all or nothing to me.
A church is an organization.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #171
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
A church is an organization.
Eyeroll.

If you really need me to explain to you what that meant, you're ignorant, willfully or otherwise.

But sure, I'll do it for you: most secular organizations don't take policy from a book that says if you're not with us you're against us, so yes, there is a different standard, and rightfully so.

Anyone claiming they are 100% right deserves to be held to that standard.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #172
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
If a person goes to a KKK rally and talks about the joys of cross burning, yes!!

If a person goes to westboro baptist church and tells them how ****ing wrong they are, no!!

It's not going that endorses, it's what they say that matters.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #173
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
If a person goes to a KKK rally and talks about the joys of cross burning, yes!!

If a person goes to westboro baptist church and tells them how ****ing wrong they are, no!!

It's not going that endorses, it's what they say that matters.
Somewhat.

But IMO if he goes to this church and does anything less than call them out on their treatment of certain groups, he's not being Christ-like.

I believe if Christ were invited to a church (excuse me, organization) like this, he would have called them all Christian Pharisees and repudiated everything they stood for. He wouldn't stand up there and give a speech about loving your neighbor and not make mention of the manner in which they're "loving" theirs. That's not the Jesus that exists in any Bible I've ever read.

And I'm not going back over my qualifications on the subject. They're quite well documented.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #174
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
You're not really doing your own argument any favors by saying this.

And yes, I suppose it "could be used" politically. The Bible preaches it.
The Bible teaches many things in different contexts. Some people confuse its teachings about what mankind deserves with those that teach us about all that we've been given.

But like I said earlier, it's hard to argue specifics over generalities.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #175
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Somewhat.

But IMO if he goes to this church and does anything less than call them out on their treatment of certain groups, he's not being Christ-like.

I believe if Christ were invited to a church (excuse me, organization) like this, he would have called them all Christian Pharisees and repudiated everything they stood for. He wouldn't stand up there and give a speech about loving your neighbor and not make mention of the manner in which they're "loving" theirs. That's not the Jesus that exists in any Bible I've ever read.

And I'm not going back over my qualifications on the subject. They're quite well documented.
The Pharisees were also very good at casting judgement upon Christ before he was even able to speak for himself. Often based on the people he allowed himself to be seen with.