The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #51
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Yeah, but at which positions?
Love the depth @ CB, S, WR, OL and DL. All positions where we could use a player. I don't think any of the top linebackers will be available by then and I don't think it is the place to be looking for a RB.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #52
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

The more I think about it I think the correct move is Minters or trade down. Minters fills the biggest hole we have. If we can't get him, trade down to get another second round pick where we can still get an impact player at the deeper positions in the draft (DT, CB, S).
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #53
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
The more I think about it I think the correct move is Minters or trade down. Minters fills the biggest hole we have. If we can't get him, trade down to get another second round pick where we can still get an impact player at the deeper positions in the draft (DT, CB, S).
RB and G are bigger holes with the way our team is built. A 3-down Mike isn't really that big of a need in our defense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #54
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
A 3-down Mike isn't really that big of a need in our defense.


Plz tell us you are joking.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #55
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
RB and G are bigger holes with the way our team is built. A 3-down Mike isn't really that big of a need in our defense.
IMO, the biggest problem the Broncos Defense has, is stopping the run out of Nickel formation, and stopping short passing plays out of Nickel. Because they can't stop either one of those things, the Safeties always have to cheat up, which can potentially lead to single-coverage on the outside WR's...which can lead to long bomb TD's (especially now that Champ is slowing down)...which is why they lost to Baltimore.

1. Trevathan is too weak/slow? (easily blockable) to get the job done.
2. They tried DJ, but he was getting schooled (too slow) against the Ravens, turns out the juice did help him.
3. Brooking is definitely too slow to cover a lot of ground, and is also blockable in his old age.
4. Irving is a cracker jack mystery prize.

What they need, is an LB who can do everything. A guy who is quick enough to cover half the field (WW guards the other half), but is physical enough to shed blocks, and track down the ballcarrier (in the event of a run). WW is fast, but gets blocked out of plays a lot.

Probably the only guy who can do that WELL in this draft is Minter. You get a real good front-7 LB, and the Secondary will be able to use a Cover-2 shell without fear that something underneath is going to go for a big gain. Both Safeties can each guard 1/2 the field, and won't have to peek in the backfield all the time.

Of coure, the LB has to be able to run fast. Last year, Hightower ran a 4.62 (which is fast), and he is extremely physical (265 lbs.) but the Broncos passed. The faster Minter runs, the higher he will go. If he runs less than 4.65, he's probably out of our range. If he's any slower than that, I'm not sure that I want him. They can get by with WW at WOLB, but they absolutely need a 1st round kick-ass, 3-down, half-field, MLB or the whole Defense will break down in Nickel (as we saw in the playoffs). Unfortunately, there are about 6 other teams that need the same thing.

Champ got schooled so many times, it wasn't even funny. Rahim is going to have to improve a bunch in coverage, and STAY BACK. WW and the MIKE are going to have to be able to clean everything up underneath. No more Safety help.

Last edited by pricejj; 02-21-2013 at 03:34 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #56
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
RB and G are bigger holes with the way our team is built. A 3-down Mike isn't really that big of a need in our defense.
Go back to Greece as you've obviously lost your marbles.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #57
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Go back to Greece as you've obviously lost your marbles.
Well two of our three RBs will be going into camp having had a knee surgery. Mcgahee during the season and Moreno again this offseason. RB is a bigger need then you think.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #58
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Well two of our three RBs will be going into camp having had a knee surgery. Mcgahee during the season and Moreno again this offseason. RB is a bigger need then you think.
RB is a need, but RB a lot easier to replace than MLB.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #59
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
RB is a need, but RB a lot easier to replace than MLB.
Well the odds are there might be better prospects at RB then MLB when we pick in the first or second round.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #60
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I would like someone who's great at covering TEs
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #61
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
IMO, the biggest problem the Broncos Defense has, is stopping the run out of Nickel formation, and stopping short passing plays out of Nickel. Because they can't stop either one of those things, the Safeties always have to cheat up, which can potentially lead to single-coverage on the outside WR's...which can lead to long bomb TD's (especially now that Champ is slowing down)...which is why they lost to Baltimore.

1. Trevathan is too weak/slow? (easily blockable) to get the job done.
2. They tried DJ, but he was getting schooled (too slow) against the Ravens, turns out the juice did help him.
3. Brooking is definitely too slow to cover a lot of ground, and is also blockable in his old age.
4. Irving is a cracker jack mystery prize.

What they need, is an LB who can do everything. A guy who is quick enough to cover half the field (WW guards the other half), but is physical enough to shed blocks, and track down the ballcarrier (in the event of a run). WW is fast, but gets blocked out of plays a lot.

Probably the only guy who can do that WELL in this draft is Minter. You get a real good front-7 LB, and the Secondary will be able to use a Cover-2 shell without fear that something underneath is going to go for a big gain. Both Safeties can each guard 1/2 the field, and won't have to peek in the backfield all the time.

Of coure, the LB has to be able to run fast. Last year, Hightower ran a 4.62 (which is fast), and he is extremely physical (265 lbs.) but the Broncos passed. The faster Minter runs, the higher he will go. If he runs less than 4.65, he's probably out of our range. If he's any slower than that, I'm not sure that I want him. They can get by with WW at WOLB, but they absolutely need a 1st round kick-ass, 3-down, half-field, MLB or the whole Defense will break down in Nickel (as we saw in the playoffs). Unfortunately, there are about 6 other teams that need the same thing.

Champ got schooled so many times, it wasn't even funny. Rahim is going to have to improve a bunch in coverage, and STAY BACK. WW and the MIKE are going to have to be able to clean everything up underneath. No more Safety help.
Sorry, I quit reading at the suggestion Trevathan is slow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #62
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Go back to Greece as you've obviously lost your marbles.
We had a top-5 defense with a Mike-by-commitee setup. Yes I'm clearly insane for suggesting that our defense doesn't really need a 3 down MLB all that much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #63
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,452
Default

You're right...Elway sounds highly comfortable with Nate Irving and Steve Johnson battling it out for 2-down MIKE.

Still wonder why he's so public about wanting to talk to Te'o.

Last edited by pricejj; 02-22-2013 at 03:25 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #64
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
You're right...Elway sounds highly comfortable with Nate Irving and Steve Johnson battling it out for 2-down MIKE.

Still wonder why he's so public about wanting to talk to Te'o.
Elway pretty sneaky I think. He will talk about some guys he knows he's not selecting. But he may think some team at the top of round 2 thinks Teo will fall. Or maybe some team like the Ravens or Pats etc. This way if he wanted to move down maybe he just drops a few spots and grabs a late round pick in the process.

Really if you think about it there could be 5-10 reason a GM talks about a player he isn't going to select. Sometimes I hear thy even talk to players to ask about other player lol. You may slip in questions about guys he played against. Like what RB did you go up against that you felt was the toughest to tackle. Or who was the toughest guy on your team. I'm just guessing but you can see how many scenarios you can come up with.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #65
Rascal
RIP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 17,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default

I doubt more than 1 QB is off the board by pick 28, hope I'm wrong but I'm not seeing it.

Where was Elway talking about Teo?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #66
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,916
Default

The good news is the team is pretty good. Miller going into his 3rd year which is usually when stud NFL players really start to dominate. Wolfe won't be a rookie anymore and our 3 young dbacks, Carter, Harris, Moore will all have more experience. The only bummer is Bailey probably each yr won't be as good as he was the yr before.

Makes me wonder if broncos throw us all a curveball and take CB with the first round pick.

I like Desmond Trufant a lot. He plays hard and tough and has great speed.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #67
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,383

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Go back to Greece as you've obviously lost your marbles.
Elgin?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #68
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Price.. Your boy Montgomery is involved in gambling/fixing games..
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #69
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Price.. Your boy Montgomery is involved in gambling/fixing games..
In his Combine media interview, LSU DE Sam Montgomery admitted to betting in college and taking games -- not plays -- games off when the Tigers faced lesser opponents.Montgomery's agent should have advised him before the Combine that saying things like this is not smart. At all. "Some weeks when we didn’t have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed," Montgomery said. "But when we had the big boys coming in, the ‘Bamas or the South Carolinas, I grabbed close to those guys and went all out." Montgomery detailed "hundreds of dollars" in bets with teammate Barkevious Mingo, including one for $5,000 on which LSU defensive end will be drafted higher. We'd wager -- heavily -- that it won't be Montgomery. Draft insider Tony Pauline reported late Saturday that LSU's coaching staff has been "slamming" Montgomery to NFL teams. Feb 23 - 10:36
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8425/sam-montgomery

Also his coaches didn't like him...

According to NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline, LSU's coaches are not giving LSU DE Sam Montgomery a "ringing endorsement" to NFL teams.

College coaches -- especially assistants -- are typically brutally honest with NFL clubs, and it was no secret that Montgomery wasn't beloved by LSU's staff. A projected second-day draft pick, Montgomery is a base 4-3 end. His Tigers bookend, Barkevious Mingo, is expected to be a 3-4 outside 'backer in the pros. Feb 22 - 5:29 PM
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #70
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Price.. Your boy Montgomery is involved in gambling/fixing games..
That was dumb. I lost interest in him (and all other DE's) a few days ago anyway, because I finally figured out that the Broncos don't need a DE in Nickel (which they play 65% of the time). The only way they would take a DE is if they were considering dumping Dumervil (which is not a good idea).

Last edited by pricejj; 02-23-2013 at 09:56 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #71
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
In his Combine media interview, LSU DE Sam Montgomery admitted to betting in college and taking games -- not plays -- games off when the Tigers faced lesser opponents.Montgomery's agent should have advised him before the Combine that saying things like this is not smart. At all. "Some weeks when we didn’t have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed," Montgomery said. "But when we had the big boys coming in, the ‘Bamas or the South Carolinas, I grabbed close to those guys and went all out." Montgomery detailed "hundreds of dollars" in bets with teammate Barkevious Mingo, including one for $5,000 on which LSU defensive end will be drafted higher. We'd wager -- heavily -- that it won't be Montgomery. Draft insider Tony Pauline reported late Saturday that LSU's coaching staff has been "slamming" Montgomery to NFL teams. Feb 23 - 10:36
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8425/sam-montgomery

Also his coaches didn't like him...

According to NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline, LSU's coaches are not giving LSU DE Sam Montgomery a "ringing endorsement" to NFL teams.

College coaches -- especially assistants -- are typically brutally honest with NFL clubs, and it was no secret that Montgomery wasn't beloved by LSU's staff. A projected second-day draft pick, Montgomery is a base 4-3 end. His Tigers bookend, Barkevious Mingo, is expected to be a 3-4 outside 'backer in the pros. Feb 22 - 5:29 PM
sweet, he's ours for the taking at #28. the NFL hates quitters and PR nightmares over stupidity. they can stand criminals but not liars.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #72
JPPT1974
Peyton's 506 TD!
 
JPPT1974's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seymour TN
Posts: 158

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning!
Default

Seems like the work is more done at the DB and CBs!
JPPT1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #73
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,452
Default

Te'o down to 241 lbs. Looks like he's going to try to turn on the afterburners.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #74
SlyEli
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

tavon austin or one of the middle backers. Or trade down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #75
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I want Tavon Austin bad. I don't care if we have to trade up to get him.

The speedy/quick slot receiver this team needs to help create more seperation for DT and Decker.

  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Denver Broncos