The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,508
Default

The rights of the nurses are vastly more important then a stupid dad who is a racist. You have no rights to things that are illegal, like discrimination.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,508
Default

As a supervisor i would tell the black nurses his request, that they may have to deal with a troublesome dad, then send them out to be professionals and do their jobs. Then I would get a hospital social worker on scene and inform him/her of the situation. Hospitals are equiped and trained to handle stuff like this.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,897

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Sure it's a serious question, I don't agree with the guy but should he have the right to make all decisions with regards to the care of his child?

If you go to the hospital, you have the right to pick to pick what Doctor will treat your child and you don't have to give a reason why.
The request specifically prevents a entire group of professionals from preforming their jobs based on racial origin.

How do you not see that is wrong?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #29
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The request specifically prevents a entire group of professionals from preforming their jobs based on racial origin.

How do you not see that is wrong?
Sober up and read the thread, I didn't say I thought it was right. I posed a question for discussion nothing more and nothing less.

Now I realize where you live you get a Mexican doctor and Mexican nurse so why do you care anyway.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #30
txtebow
WARRIOR
 
Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default

I just Googled 'hot black nurses' and to my disappointment and surprise there were NONE in the google image search....that is grounds enough in my book to only request asian,latino or caucasian nurses

http://www.google.com/search?q=hot+b...w=1024&bih=569
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #31
Play2win
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke
Default

I would want my son to only have hot asian nurses taking care of him. And if I'm footing the bill, it better well MF'n happen.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #32
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Number one, since when is following federal law not "the real world"?


http://seattletimes.com/html/homegar...toysafety.html

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #33
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,897

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Sober up and read the thread, I didn't say I thought it was right. I posed a question for discussion nothing more and nothing less.

Now I realize where you live you get a Mexican doctor and Mexican nurse so why do you care anyway.
The amazing part is you don't even know what a bigot you are while it shouts out through your words to everyone who isn't.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #34
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You're comparing the garage sale cottage industry to a hospital... One whose own lawyers were the ones to catch the problem.

How unbelievably stupid you look.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #35
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
You're comparing the garage sale cottage industry to a hospital... One whose own lawyers were the ones to catch the problem.

How unbelievably stupid you look.
No, I'm pointing out that Federal Law can be just as retarded as your average proggy.

The nurse wasn't sent home. Didn't miss any pay. The employer apologized for any possible offense taken (even though the only real offense anyone could take was from the client.) But apparently your view of Federal Law is that someone should get rich every time an administrative mistake occurs if it happens to somehow brush up against the sacred race cow.

Would you feel the same way if a patient asked for no Male nurses? (hint: it happens all the time)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #36
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,515

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
What is the stupid mistake worth in dollars? No pay was taken from the black nurse, she wasn't sent home and was only reassigned to other duties.

Should this nurse walk away from the hospital with millions of dollars so she will never have to work again?
It has to do with a stupid ass lack of basic common sense mistake committed by the hospital that will likely cost them a ton of money. While I think an apology could/should be enough, it won't happen in the world we live in today.

The world we live in today is a CYA society. If you are in a postition like this hospital is, you have to cover your ass at all times. If you don't your ass is toast. To me it isn't about should the nurse get millions. It's about when this guy made this unlawful request, should the hospital have honored that request, or covered their asses by telling the guy to **** off? This hospital should have known better.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,515

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Would you feel the same way if a patient asked for no Male nurses? (hint: it happens all the time)
Holy shlt man. Not meaning to change the subject but this reminds me of when I had my surgery a couple years ago.

I had this female nurse and she was great. Sweet sweet lady. And she was there the first 5 days I was recovering. But they had to put a catheter in me. Now I am the type of guy that would choose death over having to put that in me on a regular basis. But they said there was no choice. And I was flat out freaked out. So what I did was asked for the highest dosage of pain killers they could give me. Then I requested a male nurse put the catheter in, my line of thinking being if a guy had to stick a tube up my peehole, he would be much more sensitive to my situation than a woman. They honored this request, and I was so doped up anyway that I didn't feel a thing. Just being a big baby.

Now my question is, if this female nurse wanted to, could she sue the hospital for gender discrimination?
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #38
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
No, I'm pointing out that Federal Law can be just as retarded as your average proggy.

The nurse wasn't sent home. Didn't miss any pay. The employer apologized for any possible offense taken (even though the only real offense anyone could take was from the client.) But apparently your view of Federal Law is that someone should get rich every time an administrative mistake occurs if it happens to somehow brush up against the sacred race cow.

Would you feel the same way if a patient asked for no Male nurses? (hint: it happens all the time)
Did you even read the BFOQ? Here, I'll edit the big legalese paragraph so you can read it more easily.

[I]t shall not be an unlawful employment practice (That means "it's okay") for an employer to hire and employ employees, for an employment agency to classify, or refer for employment any individual, for a labor organization to classify its membership or to classify or refer for employment any individual, or for an employer, labor organization, or joint labor-management committee controlling apprenticeship or other training or retraining programs to admit or employ any individual in any such program, on the basis of his religion, sex, or national origin in those certain instances where religion, sex, or national origin is a bona fide occupational qualification reasonably necessary to the normal operation of that particular business or enterprise…

Legally, it is reasonable for a person of a certain gender to request a caregiver of a certain gender. The Playboy mansion doesn't need to hire guys dressed in bunny suits, nor does Hooters need to hire men in tight orange shorts.

Customer preference can "'be taken into account only when it is based on the company's inability to perform the primary function or service it offers,' that is, where sex or sex appeal is itself the dominant service provided."

Also explicitly: While religion, sex, or national origin may be considered a bona fide occupational qualification in narrow contexts, race can never be a BFOQ.



Now, as far as the nurse is concerned, a case can and will be made...IF (big if) it even goes to trial that, particularly if there is any disciplinary action involved with her superiors, that it will create a hostile work environment for the nurse that was affected. As I stated, you've probably never been the reason one of your bosses got disciplined. That case is made all the time in these types of situations, and it's a legitimate concern. Even if her supervisor gets fired, the argument will be made that there may be animosity from fellow employees who liked the boss, hospital executives who want to get even for costing them money...happens all the time, even with the whistleblower laws.

Additionally, if she were to leave the hospital, any potential employer would ask her why, after 15 years of being employed by this hospital, she's all the sudden no longer employed, not to mention we're talking about Flint, MI here...not many places else to go.

And finally, do you really chalk this up to an "administrative mistake"? An administrative mistake is not signing a form correctly. Not training your employees on federal law and its ramifications on your job is negligence, pure and simple.

But whatever, I'm still laughing at your absurd statement that the worst thing to come out of a situation where an employee was discriminated against is that she will get compensated for it.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #39
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The amazing part is you don't even know what a bigot you are while it shouts out through your words to everyone who isn't.
What happened did you get a little too much sand in your panties today ......... it's ok just remember alcohol is you friend.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #40
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
What happened did you get a little too much sand in your panties today ......... it's ok just remember alcohol is you friend.
Do you really blame baja for calling the person a bigot who said "black on black violence is the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about"...THEN started a thread about a black nurse being discriminated against and asking the question "what about the rights of the white supremicist?"

I sure don't. I mean, you may not be...you just post like one.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #41
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Shouldn't you be celebrating the fact that the guy got his way? He was allowed to be an ignorant, racist pig. Just how you clearly like it. So why aren't you happy?
RIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy
Sure it's a serious question, I don't agree with the guy but should he have the right to make all decisions with regards to the care of his child?

If you go to the hospital, you have the right to pick to pick what Doctor will treat your child and you don't have to give a reason why.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #42
txtebow
WARRIOR
 
Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default

Obviously, this was a ridiculous request being made by a person who lacks tact...Now here's how to do it on the sly ...step 1) black nurse walks in step 2) you go speak to the nursing supervisor/hospital liason that you don't like her "bed manner" 3) hot nurse walks in or 4) repeat step 2............You're welcome.
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #43
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Do you really blame baja for calling the person a bigot who said "black on black violence is the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about"...THEN started a thread about a black nurse being discriminated against and asking the question "what about the rights of the white supremicist?"

I sure don't. I mean, you may not be...you just post like one.
Yup. And I'm waiting for the "but, but, but, I have a lot of black friends" defense.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #44
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,328

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Is there something wrong with that article? This was excluded by the poster and changes the story entirely.

From the link.

Quote:
"The father was informed that his request could not be granted, and as a result, all nurses remained available to care for his baby," Hurley CEO Melany Gavulic said, according to WJRT. "We appreciate the community's concern and involvement today, as we publicly clarify the facts of this case. The medical center looks forward to a quick and amicable resolution."

Last edited by DenverBrit; 02-21-2013 at 07:58 AM..
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #45
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Do you really blame baja for calling the person a bigot who said "black on black violence is the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about"...THEN started a thread about a black nurse being discriminated against and asking the question "what about the rights of the white supremicist?"

I sure don't. I mean, you may not be...you just post like one.
Fist of all I didn't start that thread, all I said was "if you are going to talk about gun violence, you must be willing to discuss "the elephant in the room" that everyone chooses to ignore. No one wants to talk about those facts because it's politically incorrect. I also stated it should be up to the blacks to take steps to solve that problem on their own in the communities where the violence is a way of life. The same communities that you wouldn't take your family on a drive through. You choose to ignore the elephant and bush it off as a socioeconomic problem.

Every citizen has rights and whether you agree or not that includes a "white supremist" or a "black gang-banger". Go back and look at the "Ruby Ridge" fiasco when the rights of a so-called "white supremist" were trampled on by the U.S. government. They killed his wife, 14-year-old son and even his dog all because he sawed off the barrel of a 12-gauge shotgun and sold it to an undercover FBI agent.

.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #46
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yup. And I'm waiting for the "but, but, but, I have a lot of black friends" defense.
but, but, but since I'm not white and I'm a minority it's hard for me to be a "white Supremist" ...........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #47
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,897

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Fist of all I didn't start that thread, all I said was "if you are going to talk about gun violence, you must be willing to discuss "the elephant in the room" that everyone chooses to ignore. No one wants to talk about those facts because it's politically incorrect. I also stated it should be up to the blacks to take steps to solve that problem on their own in the communities where the violence is a way of life. The same communities that you wouldn't take your family on a drive through. You choose to ignore the elephant and bush it off as a socioeconomic problem.

Every citizen has rights and whether you agree or not that includes a "white supremist" or a "black gang-banger". Go back and look at the "Ruby Ridge" fiasco when the rights of a so-called "white supremist" were trampled on by the U.S. government. They killed his wife, 14-year-old son and even his dog all because he sawed off the barrel of a 12-gauge shotgun and sold it to an undercover FBI agent.

.
BTW I agree with you that Black on Black violence is a very real issue, nobody could deny that but tell me if it is not a socioeconomic problem what the underling issue that is the problem.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #48
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
BTW I agree with you that Black on Black violence is a very real issue, nobody could deny that but tell me if it is not a socioeconomic problem what the underling issue that is the problem.
I don't think it's a socioeconomic problem that would disappear if the economic conditions of the inner city suddenly became better. The high rolling gangster types with all the money, cars and bling still make gun possession as a priority in life. Look at all the NFL players that have problems related to firearms and it's not due to a socioeconomic problem.

Black on Black violence is something that needs to be taken head on by the black community itself and passing new gun laws for the rest of the nation is not the answer.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #49
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I don't think it's a socioeconomic problem that would disappear if the economic conditions of the inner city suddenly became better. The high rolling gangster types with all the money, cars and bling still make gun possession as a priority in life. Look at all the NFL players that have problems related to firearms and it's not due to a socioeconomic problem.
You clearly don't even have a rudimentary understanding of what a "socioeconomic problem" is. The gangster/money/car/bling/gun culture you mention exists precisely because of socioeconomic issues! Those are the guys that have, or are perceived to have, the power and money amongst the powerless and moneyless. You just really don't have a clue here, although I do agree that the problems wouldn't "disappear" overnight.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #50
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
You clearly don't even have a rudimentary understanding of what a "socioeconomic problem" is. The gangster/money/car/bling/gun culture you mention exists precisely because of socioeconomic issues! Those are the guys that have, or are perceived to have, the power and money amongst the powerless and moneyless. You just really don't have a clue here, although I do agree that the problems wouldn't "disappear" overnight.
No I don't think you understand, do think if manufacturing and industry are brought back to the inner cities anything will change? The population that existed in the inner city that depended on the manufacturing industry all moved out to the suburbs. The lawless people that exist there filled the void and they need to be disarmed by their own citizens not by rest of the country.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Denver Broncos