The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #51
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Abraham while good/great, is no Freeney.
I would take Abraham over Freeney any Sunday. Over the last three years Freeney has put up 23.5 sacks, 8 FFs and 56 total tackles. Abraham 32.5 sacks, 12 FFs, and 110 total tackles. Look at the decline over the three years of Freeney vs the lack of decline of Abraham.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #52
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I would take Abraham over Freeney any Sunday. Over the last three years Freeney has put up 23.5 sacks, 8 FFs and 56 total tackles. Abraham 32.5 sacks, 12 FFs, and 110 total tackles. Look at the decline over the three years of Freeney vs the lack of decline of Abraham.
Whatever dude. You would know he has played injured the last 2 years. Plus he switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4, which he played on a bum ankle from early in the season. I would take a healthy Freeny over a healthy Abraham any day of the week!!!

Quote:
This is how it's been for Freeney since the Colts released him. It will only get more hectic because there's Freeney still has a great deal left in his body. A body of work that includes seven Pro Bowls, the 2000s All-Decade team, a Super Bowl title and the Colts' all-time sack mark.

Freeney instantly became one of the more coveted free agents this year. He could transform a mediocre franchise into a playoff contender and a playoff team into a Super one. He's still that good.

"I was shocked at being released," he said. "I was stunned. I had a good year. I came back from an [ankle] injury earlier than I was supposed to. We made the playoffs. I always envisioned myself retiring as a Colt, but the team didn't make an offer. I got a pat on the back and they wished me well."
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...-of-many-teams

I bet you whatever you want that he will make more than 6mil per year.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #53
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Whatever dude. You would know he has played injured the last 2 years. Plus he switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4, which he played on a bum ankle from early in the season. I would take a healthy Freeny over a healthy Abraham any day of the week!!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...-of-many-teams

I bet you whatever you want that he will make more than 6mil per year.
I do know he had played hurt. Abraham is way closer to a complete DE then Freeney ever was. Hell Abraham had 7 PD's last year alone. Freeney has 15 his whole career

The Giants are on the list of teams that want him and they are over the cap, and Denver right now as we sit without cutting players can't really give him 6 million a year. So of the teams on that list that leaves the Vikings.

That 6 million dollars a year you keep talking about means nothing to me. He could sign for 3 years for 30 million dollars with only a 3 million dollar signing bonus. Even if they pay him 4 million the first season, 5 the second and 21 the last year you win even though he will be cut before reaching that third year.

PS even JA is rumored to be a cap casualty because of his base.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 02-20-2013 at 04:02 PM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #54
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Abraham while good/great, is no Freeney.
Abraham has been better over the last few years.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #55
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

You can never have enough pass rushers.

I'm all for it, If the price is right and they have a role in mind for him.

Could turn out to be a Neil Smith move circa 1997.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #56
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

this
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #57
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Not sure where he would fit to be honest.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #58
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

If we did get Freeney, couldn't we move Miller all around the place. The other team wouldn't know which direction he was coming from. If Freeney could hold up, he and Doom could be edge rushers and who know where or which side Miller would line up.

I mean really, Von could come out of the huddle in the middle, then not until the last second would he go line up on his side for that play. That would **** bigtime with the opposing offense!!
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #59
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

this is truly interesting figuring out who will be our "big" put us over the top signing like Smith.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #60
extralife
Ring of Famer

there are many other places I'd rather spend Freeney money.

Last edited by extralife; 02-20-2013 at 09:16 PM..
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #61
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
there are money other places I'd rather spend Freeney money.
Yeah I wouldn't mind getting him but not a high price. I dunno how we could line up Freeney, Von, and Doom on the field at the same time. That line-up just screams RB draw or screen.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #62
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
there are many other places I'd rather spend Freeney money.
^ Yup, this is the point most people aren't considering. We have considerably bigger needs on the interiors of both lines and MLB. You could also argue that DB depth (particularly S) and both WR and RB are as big or bigger needs. With limited cap dollars after whatever hit we take for Clady we aren't going to sign Freeney to big $ just because "you can never have too many pass rushers".
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #63
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Nobody has advocated signing him to big money. At this point in his career, he can't really command that. FWIW -- a majority of our needs are likely going to be met in the draft on the cheap. I highly doubt Denver pursues any top-tier free agent, probably a couple of above-average guys. If we signed one legit starter, that would be about it.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #64
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Nobody has advocated signing him to big money...
I stand by my point, amended as follows:

Quote:
..we aren't going to sign Freeney just because "you can never have too many pass rushers"...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #65
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I stand by my point, amended as follows:
The primary reason Freeney would be even considered here is because of his pass rushing skills. Outside of Von, Dumervil and Wolfe kicked in on passing downs, we don't have anyone capable of bringing it on a consistent basis. While we may have been in the top part of the league in sacks, performances were streaky at best and in some big games against good OL, our players were able to be neutralized.

The team also lacks veteran leadership on defense and I think Freeney helps in that regard. I think he would be a good mentor for Von and could even share some tips with Elvis, considering their similar disadvantages in height and shed some light on some good pass rush moves. There is more to it than "having enough pass rushers" -- but yeah, that is a primary factor in signing the guy.

I'm not surprised Manning is courting him, but it sounds like Freeney is destined to play for the G-Men. Says it has been a dream of his. That is fine with me. I can think of about 5-7 guys in the middle part of the draft who can come in and bring heat off the bench that are going to cost us less than a million a year. At some point in time, Denver is going to have to address the end position on the squad for the future.

JDR liked Ayers when he coached him at the Senior Bowl, but who knows how much longer he will be around past his rookie deal. We could sure do better than Jeremy Beal, Jason Hunter, etc. Here is to hoping Malik Jackson can turn into a good role player for the squad! The talent back-up talent at LDE/RDE can certainly be upgraded. That is what I am hoping for in this deep DL draft.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #66
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The thing about Freeney is that with us he is going to be a situational pass rushegr. Our motto on defense is stop the run, then take the opposing QB head's off!! But Freeney sucks at stopping the run. So paying market value for someone that's 33 and going to come here and just rush the passer ain't going to do it.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #67
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Freeney has NOT been the same player since the Colts SB run 4 years ago. He is in advanced decline as a player and does NOT have anything left in the tank. He is also terrible in the Locker room and not a teacher. I want Zero part of him. Zero even with League minimum. Trust me on this.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #68
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Freeney has NOT been the same player since the Colts SB run 4 years ago. He is in advanced decline as a player and does NOT have anything left in the tank. He is also terrible in the Locker room and not a teacher. I want Zero part of him. Zero even with League minimum. Trust me on this.
I had no idea he was not a good locker room guy. Thanks for sharing. You have changed my mind.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #69
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Aside from his physical decline, if what you are saying is true then it makes a lot of sense for the Colts to dump him.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote