The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #151
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,631
Default

Tangentially related to this topic, a reminder of the primary force that created the need for the safety net: capitalism!

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/...welfare-state/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #152
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Tangentially related to this topic, a reminder of the primary force that created the need for the safety net: capitalism!

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/...welfare-state/
Wow! What a great piece. This deserves its own thread. This is why I keep bringing up that $32 trillion that the uber-rich are hiding offshore. It is just one of the most glaring symptoms of the disease. Just as human beings once pulled a complete paradigm shift away from the divine right of kings, our next shift must be away from greed based economics. Hopefully, we can get serious about that before it destroys us.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #153
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Due to some interesting report this post emails from this thread, I am feeling compelled to post this, yet again, as a reminder about this particular subforum:

Goooo "team that reflects my political ideology!" WARNING! This is a loosely moderated forum. Frankly, moderating political discussions is about as fun as sitting in on Raider court proceedings.

This is the descriptor for the WRP forum. This forum is loosely moderated BECAUSE it is a religion and politics subforum. The mods will not handhold certain posters because other posters are being mean to them.

Which brings me to another reminder for certain posters, from the OM Guidelines:

Moderators are volunteers who have demonstrated a love for the Denver Broncos, as well as the Orange Mane community at large. They are tasked with being the standard bearers of this community – though they are all fallible. The mods are just people who love the Broncos, love this discussion forum, and are trying to do the best they can with the tools they have. If you never have anything nice to say about a mod, then you probably shouldn’t say anything at all – and frankly, you might consider finding another community where you think the mods and guidelines are more to your liking. This forum is not going to tolerate the faithful servants of this forum being publically ridiculed for their service any more than it will tolerate the posters being punished arbitrarily. We strive for balance in everything we do – and most of the time, we succeed (nobody is perfect).

We now go back to your regularly scheduled slap fight.



Let's take a second and see which little b**** ran to the mods.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #154
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Tangentially related to this topic, a reminder of the primary force that created the need for the safety net: capitalism!

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/...welfare-state/
It has changed the world in three centuries more than at any time in the two hundred millennia that humans have lived on the earth.

I didn't care for the piece, personally, but I know better than to voice my personal thoughts on something like that. That said, this line jumped out at me as to why the piece was ultimately just a crying blamefest. Are we to understand capitalism was magically created 300 years ago? Are we to understand accumulation of wealth didn't exist before that?

The earliest stages of the welfare state are as much to blame for the current welfare state as anything. Add to that a general erosion of principles (as discussed in this thread, on occasion) and you easily have a recipe for the situation we have today. Just because you can dangle a carrot and disrupt someone's life doesn't mean you can blame the carrot for the disruption. Personal responsibility will always be the underlying answer to any of life's dilemmas.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #155
Meck77
.
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,599
Default

I thought I'd seen it all in the WRP forum but never thought I'd see the day where people are actually debating against the importance of being a good father to a child.

I must be out of touch with this New American concept.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #156
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,615

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post


Let's take a second and see which little b**** ran to the mods.
It doesn't matter who contacted the moderator team. Sirhcyennek's point still stands.

1. WRP is a loosely moderated (sub)forum; perhaps not an ideal place for anyone with thin skin. Differences of opinion are going to happen anytime religion and/or politics are the subject of debate.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #157
W*GS
Ring of Famer
 
W*GS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I thought I'd seen it all in the WRP forum but never thought I'd see the day where people are actually debating against the importance of being a good father to a child.

I must be out of touch with this New American concept.
Define what "being a good father" means, first.
W*GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #158
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,587

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Wow! What a great piece. This deserves its own thread. This is why I keep bringing up that $32 trillion that the uber-rich are hiding offshore. It is just one of the most glaring symptoms of the disease. Just as human beings once pulled a complete paradigm shift away from the divine right of kings, our next shift must be away from greed based economics. Hopefully, we can get serious about that before it destroys us.
So what does it say when Obama heads off to Florida on spring break to play golf with the mega-rich Tiger Woods, who moved to Florida to avoid paying more income tax.

Do you suppose he lectured Tiger on paying his fair share of taxes or maybe Tiger gave him some advice on how to hide money in offshore accounts?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #159
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
So what does it say when Obama heads off to Florida on spring break to play golf with the mega-rich Tiger Woods, who moved to Florida to avoid paying more income tax.

Do you suppose he lectured Tiger on paying his fair share of taxes or maybe Tiger gave him some advice on how to hide money in offshore accounts?
ahahahahahahahaha

lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #160
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
So what does it say when Obama heads off to Florida on spring break to play golf with the mega-rich Tiger Woods, who moved to Florida to avoid paying more income tax.

Do you suppose he lectured Tiger on paying his fair share of taxes or maybe Tiger gave him some advice on how to hide money in offshore accounts?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #161
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I thought I'd seen it all in the WRP forum but never thought I'd see the day where people are actually debating against the importance of being a good father to a child.

I must be out of touch with this New American concept.
Kind of hard to comprehend is it not..

I suspect many that are whining about it did not have fathers to give them an example or are indeed those that are fathers that are absent..

I can think of no other reason for not taking a very strong stand in favor of having a male in the household to give guidance as well as income..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #162
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
It doesn't matter who contacted the moderator team. Sirhcyennek's point still stands.

1. WRP is a loosely moderated (sub)forum; perhaps not an ideal place for anyone with thin skin. Differences of opinion are going to happen anytime religion and/or politics are the subject of debate.
I didn't say his point didn't stand. I didn't disagree with him at all.

I guess I don't understand why you responded to me.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #163
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,615

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I didn't say his point didn't stand. I didn't disagree with him at all.

I guess I don't understand why you responded to me.
It appeared to me that your post was calling-out/bashing/namecalling another poster. And that response (further divisiveness) was not the result that the moderator team was looking for, that's all.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #164
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
It appeared to me that your post was calling-out/bashing/namecalling another poster. And that response (further divisiveness) was not the result that the moderator team was looking for, that's all.
Ahhh, I think I understand. No, it's not that I have thin skin at all. I get annoyed at the bannings I get from [name excerpted until I get confirmation on name calling rules] whining to the mods but I'm not offended by it. Apparently he gets offended as he always runs to the mod team so I guess I thought the thin skin comment was in response to him crying to the mods, again.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #165
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,615

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Ahhh, I think I understand. No, it's not that I have thin skin at all. I get annoyed at the bannings I get from [name excerpted until I get confirmation on name calling rules] whining to the mods but I'm not offended by it. Apparently he gets offended as he always runs to the mod team so I guess I thought the thin skin comment was in response to him crying to the mods, again.
Unless you break the rules, there's no reason to fear a banning. The primary rule of thumb... as TJ said repeatedly in the Posting Guidelines thread... is "Use your head". If you think there's any chance a given remark "might be" deemed as a violation, then the wisest course is to just think it; don't say (type) it. No one expects you to like everyone here, but it's not necessary to wage open flame wars over it; you're far less likely to draw moderator attention if you just ignore the posters you don't particularly like.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #166
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,079

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Unless you break the rules, there's no reason to fear a banning. The primary rule of thumb... as TJ said repeatedly in the Posting Guidelines thread... is "Use your head". If you think there's any chance a given remark "might be" deemed as a violation, then the wisest course is to just think it; don't say (type) it. No one expects you to like everyone here, but it's not necessary to wage open flame wars over it; you're far less likely to draw moderator attention if you just ignore the posters you don't particularly like.
True dat.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #167
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Unless you break the rules, there's no reason to fear a banning. The primary rule of thumb... as TJ said repeatedly in the Posting Guidelines thread... is "Use your head". If you think there's any chance a given remark "might be" deemed as a violation, then the wisest course is to just think it; don't say (type) it. No one expects you to like everyone here, but it's not necessary to wage open flame wars over it; you're far less likely to draw moderator attention if you just ignore the posters you don't particularly like.
I've never been banned for anything that's defined in the guidelines, first of all.

Second of all, it's not necessarily just a flame war if the action is continually repeated which instigates further comments. Req will troll threads all day long with insults, drive bys, etc but then is not bashful about reporting posts to the mod team. The mods catering to a troll who is in violation of the DEFINED guidelines is just impossible to wrap my brain around.

Finally, I don't often attract the mods attention myself. As was stated in this thread, it's always about the report button. Which... hmm.. is ALSO in the guidelines under the 'your first step should be to put someone that's bothering you on ignore' but, again, that's overlooked.

So, go on, tell me more about how the mod system works...
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #168
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,079

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

I didn't report anything in this thread until after Chris arrived and you continued with your "little b" comments that you have been doing in WRP and outside of it.

So your original assumption was wrong that I was the reason why Chris came. Blueflame came in after you clearly violated the rules and continued on with your opine against me because you got a chip on your shoulder. You were in the wrong for your banning. Time to acknowledge that and move past it. Being petulant and referring to me in a deragatory manner incessantly doesn't bode well for you.

If you don't like me or what I have to say, the ignore option works wonders. I trust you have the self-control to exercise it. Right?

Right!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #169
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I didn't report anything in this thread until after Chris arrived and you continued with your "little b" comments that you have been doing in WRP and outside of it.

So your original assumption was wrong that I was the reason why Chris came. Blueflame came in after you clearly violated the rules and continued on with your opine against me because you got a chip on your shoulder. You were in the wrong for your banning. Time to acknowledge that and move past it. Being petulant and referring to me in a deragatory manner incessantly doesn't bode well for you.

If you don't like me or what I have to say, the ignore option works wonders. I trust you have the self-control to exercise it. Right?

Right!
Well it fits your MO (and it'd be stupid to start reporting something AFTER the mods arrived as you claim) so I'll call bull**** on that fact.

Whether I got banned for a just cause or not either time isn't the question. The issue is that things 10 times worse get said on the Mane but 75% of the time it might go unpunished unless someone reports it. All you're doing at that point is catering to those that cry foul. Consider then, also, that as I pointed out before, they don't punish the ACTUAL violations of the guidelines most of the time and it's not hard to get annoyed at those who click the report button everytime anyone says anything mean about them.

Oh, and, finally, I pretty much hate your online persona's guts but aside from you crying to the mods all the time, you're an afterthought. You say for me to put you on ignore but that doesn't solve the problem which is, again, people crying to the mods and having two standards enforced on the Mane. The correct answer would've been for you to ignore me rather than report the threads all the damn time.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #170
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I've never been banned for anything that's defined in the guidelines, first of all.

Second of all, it's not necessarily just a flame war if the action is continually repeated which instigates further comments. Req will troll threads all day long with insults, drive bys, etc but then is not bashful about reporting posts to the mod team. The mods catering to a troll who is in violation of the DEFINED guidelines is just impossible to wrap my brain around.

Finally, I don't often attract the mods attention myself. As was stated in this thread, it's always about the report button. Which... hmm.. is ALSO in the guidelines under the 'your first step should be to put someone that's bothering you on ignore' but, again, that's overlooked.

So, go on, tell me more about how the mod system works...
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #171
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,587

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I didn't report anything in this thread until after Chris arrived and you continued with your "little b" comments that you have been doing in WRP and outside of it.

So your original assumption was wrong that I was the reason why Chris came. Blueflame came in after you clearly violated the rules and continued on with your opine against me because you got a chip on your shoulder. You were in the wrong for your banning. Time to acknowledge that and move past it. Being petulant and referring to me in a deragatory manner incessantly doesn't bode well for you.

If you don't like me or what I have to say, the ignore option works wonders. I trust you have the self-control to exercise it. Right?

Right!
Uh-Oh ....... Req is all mad....... warning next he wil be throwing the neg rep..

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #172
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,079

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Oh, and, finally, I pretty much hate your online persona's guts but aside from you crying to the mods all the time, you're an afterthought. You say for me to put you on ignore but that doesn't solve the problem which is, again, people crying to the mods and having two standards enforced on the Mane. The correct answer would've been for you to ignore me rather than report the threads all the damn time.
Yep, it is everyone elses problem and not yours when you clearly commit a violation. Don't want people to report you for violations? Don't commit them. Playing the, "Der, derpity derp I don't know what I did wrong." card is just you way of absovling any personal responsibility in the matter. At some point in time you have to understand why you were held accountable and stop playing contrarian like you don't have a clue.

I've been held accountable for what I've done. TJ even was thankful that I took it like a man and didn't whine about it like other members had. (Here's looking at you, kid!) I even got a message from a moderator the other day reminding me of the revised COC. So it isn't like I haven't been told or disciplined.

BTW, I rarely ever use the report function. This message board is very lax (in a good way) re: moderation compared to other forums. Most people who have been here for years understand the other posters, when they are joking, etc. and most things go. You crossed the line and the powers at be agreed. Deal with it and move on.

I'll let you get our last 2 cents in because I know it'd mean the world to you.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #173
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Well it fits your MO (and it'd be stupid to start reporting something AFTER the mods arrived as you claim) so I'll call bull**** on that fact.

Whether I got banned for a just cause or not either time isn't the question. The issue is that things 10 times worse get said on the Mane but 75% of the time it might go unpunished unless someone reports it. All you're doing at that point is catering to those that cry foul. Consider then, also, that as I pointed out before, they don't punish the ACTUAL violations of the guidelines most of the time and it's not hard to get annoyed at those who click the report button everytime anyone says anything mean about them.

Oh, and, finally, I pretty much hate your online persona's guts but aside from you crying to the mods all the time, you're an afterthought. You say for me to put you on ignore but that doesn't solve the problem which is, again, people crying to the mods and having two standards enforced on the Mane. The correct answer would've been for you to ignore me rather than report the threads all the damn time.

He does that all the time. Will call you names then when you fire back he calls the mods. What a little b**** he is.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #174
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,465
Default

For a forum that is loosely moderated, I am spending alot of time in the WRP.

Stop piling on, please. Req did not report anybody's post.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #175
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
For a forum that is loosely moderated, I am spending alot of time in the WRP.

Stop piling on, please. Req did not report anybody's post.

Did somebody report something again? Maybe rather than tell us to stop piling on Req, you should tell someone to stop crying? This is exactly what I am talking about. Everyone has the same issues with Req (my rep is literally a christmas tree of Req neg repping and others pos repping about how much they hate Req) yet you come into the thread and tell us to stop piling on him?

I'll let this one go just to maintain the peace but you say you are spending a lot of time in the WRP but I honestly can't figure out why. I sent you that message as well but at the very least that makes 3 mods spending time in this thread because we're being mean to Req. This is absolutely not the standard treatment for the board. What gives?

Last edited by That One Guy; 02-20-2013 at 10:39 AM..
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Denver Broncos