The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #26
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

[QUOTE=CBF1;3799010]Forget wishing for Floyd, He is going to be long gone halfway through the 1st round. I think that once again, Denver will pass on a top DT in this draft like they have the last number of drafts. I am sure a number of posters are going to be throwing things at their TV's and other will be scratching their heads when Denver's pick is announced.[/QUOTE]

this we can be sure of
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
He has two-gapping experience, but he is a premier UT in the NFL as a 3-tech rushing the passer. The same goes for Short, who is probably my favorite player in the draft.
The problem with Kawann Short, is that he is 24 years old (he's actually older than Derek Wolfe).

It's tough to get a bead on how good he is, because he's often matched up against players who are 2 and 3 years younger than him (in college). I'm not even sure he's better than other younger prospects last year (like Jerel Worthy or Devon Still).

A lot depends on how fast he runs, and how much he lifts at the combine. My question is: is Kawann Short, just another Brodrick Bunkley? If so, the Broncos may be better served to draft a bigger NT (like John Jenkins), who by his mere size would generate an automatic double-team (theoretically). What are your thoughts?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

He is better than Worthy and Still. He is not working out at the combine. I don't really worry about his age, nor the age of those he faced. He regularly beats his man and that is what counts. At a good physical level and has the ability to contribute immediately. I don't see him as a Broderick Bunkley either. As I said, what he is best at isn't what we are necessarily looking for in our defense.

I don't have a problem with John Jenkins, but conditioning is a concern for me. Mental grasp of the game too. I want to see how he weighs in at the combine as well compared to Senior Bowl week. Don't know if he is going to be an all-world difference maker. Could probably get players later who would offer the same sort of value.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Forget wishing for Floyd, He is going to be long gone halfway through the 1st round. I think that once again, Denver will pass on a top DT in this draft like they have the last number of drafts. I am sure a number of posters are going to be throwing things at their TV's and other will be scratching their heads when Denver's pick is announced.
What do you mean? Denver used their first selection last year on a DT.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
What do you mean? Denver used their first selection last year on a DT.
Who plays DE most of the time. People have been advocating a stud DT picture here since I came here in 2006. I assume people have been pining for one since Kevin Williams came out.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
Bacchus

Quote:
Who plays DE most of the time. People have been advocating a stud DT picture here since I came here in 2006. I assume people have been pining for one since Kevin Williams came out.
But they did draft one last year in the first round.

Maybe now that Bannon and Vickerson are FA Wolfe will move inside after gaining another 10 lbs.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

They drafted him in the second round and he plays DE for us.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #33
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I would be happy with one of those guys in the 2nd or 3rd. It would be awesome if we could get two second round picks to grab one of them and Eric Reid and/or Minter. Ideally I want 1st- Floyd 2nd-Minter 2ndb-Reid and 3rd-Montae Ball.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #34
Bmore Manning

I really like what Wolfe does for Miller.. I really like our scheme. Its a 3-4 in disguise.. But if Wolfe plays inside we are compromising our best player (Miller). Who plays DE then?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #35
Agamemnon

I just don't see us drafting a DT in the 1st. A lot of people will probably be disappointed once again. My guess is that our pick will be OL or RB.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #36
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The problem with Kawann Short, is that he is 24 years old (he's actually older than Derek Wolfe).

It's tough to get a bead on how good he is, because he's often matched up against players who are 2 and 3 years younger than him (in college). I'm not even sure he's better than other younger prospects last year (like Jerel Worthy or Devon Still).

A lot depends on how fast he runs, and how much he lifts at the combine. My question is: is Kawann Short, just another Brodrick Bunkley? If so, the Broncos may be better served to draft a bigger NT (like John Jenkins), who by his mere size would generate an automatic double-team (theoretically). What are your thoughts?
A guy who can take double teams at 308 is more impressive than a guy at 330 who can do it. The big difference between college and the NFL is that most guards in the NFL can deal with a 330 pound NT, there are only so many Haloti Ngatas and Vince Wilforks, but there are plenty of fatties who never amount to anything.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #37
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I really like what Wolfe does for Miller.. I really like our scheme. Its a 3-4 in disguise.. But if Wolfe plays inside we are compromising our best player (Miller). Who plays DE then?
I really don't see any reason to think Wolfe won't continue to have a hybrid role on our defense.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #38
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Interesting to compare Walter's take on Jesse Williams with Rob Rang's:

Has a naturally wide frame with relatively short limbs, giving him the low center of gravity conducive to holding up at the point of attack.
Possesses unbelievable weight-room strength (600 pound bench press) that translates well onto the football field due to his use of leverage and surprisingly good technique considering the fact that he's a relative neophyte who only took up the game at age 15 and has played just four seasons of football in the United States.

Has improved his use of hands over his two seasons at Alabama and has developed into a cognitive defender capable of reading the action, shedding the block with heavy, active hands and making the tackle in the hole.

Has the length to play outside as a five-technique defensive end, a role in which he initially played during his junior season with the Tide before sliding inside to the nose as a senior. Good phone-booth quickness and plays hard, competing to the whistle.

Also served as Alabama's short-yardage fullback in 2012, a testament to his power and aggression. An ascending talent with passion and work ethic to improve.

COMPARES TO: Vince Wilfork, New England Patriots -- Like the Patriots' run-stuffing nose guard, Williams isn't going to pressure the quarterback often but his size and strength will make him a force in the middle.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #39
Bmore Manning

We probably shouldn't and won't be drafting a first round two gapper, unless Short falls..that's if the scheme stays the same.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #40
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I just don't see us drafting a DT in the 1st. A lot of people will probably be disappointed once again. My guess is that our pick will be OL or RB.
picking a RB will piss most off but i doubt picking a OL would.
the only thing that would excite them more than a DT is a FS.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
I'm tellin ya man Eric Reid is going to be a good one! I'm been pushing him all along!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #42
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I'm tellin ya man Eric Reid is going to be a good one! I'm been pushing him all along!
Reid is solid but if we're taking a safety i want Elam or Lester.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #43
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
He is better than Worthy and Still. He is not working out at the combine. I don't really worry about his age, nor the age of those he faced. He regularly beats his man and that is what counts. At a good physical level and has the ability to contribute immediately. I don't see him as a Broderick Bunkley either. As I said, what he is best at isn't what we are necessarily looking for in our defense.
I'll check him out a little closer. What I've seen (and based on his body size), he's a 1-gapping UT...exactly what Wolfe is best at. It almost seems like he's a slightly shorter Derek Wolfe-type player. So both would be 5-techs? Doesn't sound optimal for two guys who have the athletic ability to get penetration off the snap. Guess we'll find out this offseason what the long term plan is for this Defense.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with John Jenkins, but conditioning is a concern for me. Mental grasp of the game too. I want to see how he weighs in at the combine as well compared to Senior Bowl week. Don't know if he is going to be an all-world difference maker. Could probably get players later who would offer the same sort of value.
Jenkins is kinda like a Dontari Poe, and it sounded like Fox was high on him last year (from an interview). At least you know with a guy like that, he would require a double-team (theoretically)...which is something that Vickerson can't do.

Last edited by pricejj; 02-19-2013 at 09:38 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #44
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Lots to choose from. The Broncos should be able to walk away from this draft with at least one solid rotational DT. If they get a quality MLB and DT in this draft, and maybe a quality RB too, I'd be very happy with the draft.
Floyd, Brown and Latimore!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #45
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That is who I want as well. I thought he was bigger than 301 lbs though. Maybe i read that he could get bigger. 320 sticks in my mind though.

A legitimate 7-8 DTs that could go in the first round.

7-8 DTs in the first...would love for us invest in this position with a high round pick................

As long as teams keep VON in coverage types of defenses Doom is gonna struggle...........we need some interior line PUSH...........

Another DE would be a plus as well.............
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #46
Agamemnon

Quote:
Lacy is the quintessential Fox 1st round back. People who don't have that pick on their radar as a possibility are crazy. I'm not predicting it per se, I'm just saying that Lacy looks like the exact kind of guy Fox likes to have carrying the ball.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #47
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
7-8 DTs in the first...would love for us invest in this position with a high round pick................

As long as teams keep VON in coverage types of defenses Doom is gonna struggle...........we need some interior line PUSH...........

Another DE would be a plus as well.............
I like the DE depth and feel Denver has bigger needs. Wolfe, Ayers and Von hold that position down pretty well in rotation. Who is the guy on the practice squad that seemed to show a lot of promise? Anyway, I think Denver has bigger issuses at OL, RB, CB, S, WR/Slot and MLB. Of course if they saw a FA that they like at a good price that would be wonderful but I would not want to use a high or mid-level draft pick on one.

I also do not see 7-8 DTs going in the first round so that means I think Denver will have a shot at a top 4-6 DT when they pick increasing their value at 28.

EDIT: Jeremy Beal is the practice squad guy at DE that might be able to step up this year and contribute.

Last edited by Bacchus; 02-20-2013 at 01:15 AM..
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #48
Shananahan

I'd be more anxious about this pick with all the defensive talent if I hadn't developed some faith in the coaching staff over the past two seasons. Fox and Del Rio know what they want, so I just hope there's some good stuff there when they pick.

I'm hoping Richardson's retarded brain knocks him down a notch or two and he's an option.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #49
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

The only way Richardson will be there at #28 is if he rips his leg off in drills.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #50
NickStixx

Quote:
Reid is solid but if we're taking a safety i want Elam or Lester.
WORD! Plus I think Lester could be there in the 3rd round when we pick. Unless he just goes nuts at the combine. He's going to be good. On Walter football they have him rated from 3rd-4th round.
Elam MIGHT be there in the 2nd round but probably won't fall to us.
I haven't watched much of Eric Reid, but he is rated as a 2nd to 3rd rounder.
Jonathan Cyprien might be a guy to go after as well in the 3rd round.