The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #101
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Change the subject when your beaten like a rented mule. First lesson in Far left loon 101, in most colleges today.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #102
Meck77

Being a MAN is just that. You can't legislate it. It's something one learns from their father. My gut says you had a father who whined a lot.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #103
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Being a MAN is just that. You can't legislate it. It's something one learns from their father. My gut says you had a father who whined a lot.
What is being a "MAN"?

These guys with lots of kids with different women might argue that they're more MANly than you.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #104
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Oh boy. There goes Meck again, looking down on us unfortunates from the lofty perspective of his perfect world.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #105
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Oh boy. There goes Meck again, looking down on us unfortunates from the lofty perspective of his perfect world.
His MANly world...

So very Miles Cowperthwaite-ish!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #106
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
What is being a "MAN"?

These guys with lots of kids with different women might argue that they're more MANly than you.
Another foreign concept to you.

Ro I'm just living my dream and helping as many people as I can live theirs. Should you ever want to take the leap of faith and start your farm I'd offer all the advice and even resources (have plenty) as I could. I'm not here to battle you.

I think we all know what being a man is. Maybe it's not so clear anymore. The "greatest generation" is fading fast. Hopefully many people on this forum had a chance to learn from them. They were great men.

Last edited by Meck77; 02-17-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #107
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think we all know what being a man is.
For those of us who are male but ignorant of what it means to be a MAN, fill us in.

You're so hot to help - let's get some help, then.

What is a MAN?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #108
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

WIGS first off don't use little old ladies getting raped to make a point.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #109
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

just read this thread; learned that gun violence is caused by people being black and gays existing.

thanks, guys
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #110
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
just read this thread; learned that gun violence is caused by people being black and gays existing.

thanks, guys
don't forget women having jobs and unions.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #111
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Dr. Broncenstein's "rep" to me:
"Many criminologists agree that you are an ignorant biatch."

Quote:
Blart has officially been bent over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
but he enjoys being bent over ........ so I would say more like biach slapped no wait he likes that too.

Such emotional reactions to a simple request for evidence!

Low parent-child attachment and marital discord are correlates of crime.

However, in your links I haven't found a good argument that the lack of a father is the main cause of crime.

Let me know if I'm just being picky, but I found many of your links to be off-topic, unavailable, and even contradictory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Some kid's thesis for a tiny Christian college, which frequently attacks gay families. Somehow it's not winning me over.

Quote:
The study mentioned in this UK tabloid wasn't published in any academic journals. It relied entirely on anecdotal evidence (e.g they asked criminals if having a better father would have helped them.)

Quote:
Lists a few sources about crime, one isn't father-centric, or even single-parent-centric. The other cited a study about low-income adolescents, which obviously doesn't control for income. The most promising one you linked directly, here:

Quote:
Ah, a good first-hand source.

However, your study says step dads have a much higher correlation with crime than single moms.

"Youths in stepparent households faced incarceration odds almost 3 times as high as those in mother-father families, and significantly higher than those in single-parent households, even though stepfamilies were relatively well off on average."

Also the author casts doubt on any aggressive conclusions,

"These results showed that youth incarceration risks in a national male cohort were elevated for adolescents in father-absent households. Much of the apparent risk, however, could be attributed to the disadvantage that tends to accompany both father absence and incarceration. Father absence is more common among disadvantaged populations who contend with myriad socioeconomic difficulties such as teen motherhood, low education, and racial disparities."

Quote:
http://library.wcsu.edu/dspace/bitst...al+Thesis.pdf/

A thesis on the effects of the absent father on daughters...
Doesn't mention crime. Did you read these or were you just barfing out google links?

Quote:
http://www.insightnews.com/health/81...irls-and-women

Another article on the impact of absent fathers on girls
But no mention of crime rates among those girls.

Quote:
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal...accno=ED419203

Abstract with link to entire paper discussing the absent father and gang affiliation.
Did you even see the entire paper? I'm guessing no - because it's unavailable.

It's almost as if you were just linking anything you found in hopes of providing overwhelming evidence for your belief, without a single care for actual knowledge. Are you even a real doctor?

Here are my main issues with your belief:

1) Income inequality seems to be a better determinant of who will be incarcerated:
(cornell university)
http://www.economics.cornell.edu/et1...c%20impact.pdf

2) This fact:

Why, during a time when single motherhood has increased nationally, has violent crime decreased nationally?

Did those ignorant women suddenly learn how to parent?

Did those frightening blacks youths magically turn white?

Not that anyone has asked, but I think every correlate pointed out in this thread, both from intelligent posters and conservatives, isn't actually the main cause.

Why?

Because the biggest cause of crime is chemical.

Lead poisoning. It lowers your IQ and turns you into a selfish, impulsive psycho. Before the EPA banned leaded gasoline, we poisoned an entire generation.

What happens when you expose a generation of kids to high lead levels? Crime and teen pregnancy data two decades later tell a startling story.

http://www.motherjones.com/environme...-link-gasoline

The data here blows away "broken window" theory, Freakonomic's "unwanted child" theory, and even "strain" and "labeling" theories when explaining our dramatic crime increase and decrease. (All the aforementioned criminologist theories blow away the overtly racist/sexist myths mentioned in this thread.)

The takeaway? Thank God for the EPA, and replace your old lead-lined windows if you're around children.

Last edited by Blart; 02-18-2013 at 03:17 AM..
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #112
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Lol. It's lead poisoning.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #113
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Father Factor in Crime

A study of 109 juvenile offenders indicated that family structure significantly predicts delinquency.
Source: Bush, Connee, Ronald L. Mullis, and Ann K. Mullis. “Differences in Empathy Between Offender and Nonoffender Youth.” Journal of Youth and Adolescence 29 (August 2000): 467-478.

A study of low-income minority adolescents aged 10-14 years found that higher social encounters and frequent communication with nonresident biological fathers decreased adolescent delinquency.
Source: Coley, R. L., & Medeiros, B. L. (2007). Reciprocal longitudinal relations between nonresident father involvement and adolescent delinquency. Child Development, 78, 132–147.

In a study using data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth 1997, the researchers examined father-child relationship and father’s parenting style as predictors of first delinquency and substance use among adolescents in intact families. The results indicated that a more positive father-child relationship predicts a reduced risk of engagement in multiple first risky behaviors. The positive influence of the father-child relationship on risk behaviors seemed to be stronger for male than for female adolescents.
Source: Bronte-Tinkew, J., Moore, K.M., & Carrano, J. (2006). The father-child relationship, parenting styles, and adolescent risk behaviors in intact families. Journal of Family Issues, 27, 850-881.

A study using data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health explored the relationship between family structure and risk of violent acts in neighborhoods. The results revealed that if the number of fathers is low in a neighborhood, then there is an increase in acts of teen violence. The statistical data showed that a 1 percent increase in the proportion of single-parent families in a neighborhood is associated with a 3 percent increase in an adolescent’s level of violence. In other words, adolescents who live in neighborhoods with lower proportions of single-parent families and who report higher levels of family integration commit less violence.
Source: Knoester, C., & Hayne, D. A. (2005). Community context, social integration into family, and youth violence. Journal of Marriage and Family, 67, 767-780.

Adolescents, particularly boys, in single-parent families were at higher risk of status, property and person delinquencies. Moreover, students attending schools with a high proportion of children of single parents are also at risk.
Source: Anderson, Amy L. “Individual and contextual influences on delinquency: the role of the single-parent family.” Journal of Criminal Justice 30 (November 2002): 575-587.

In a study of INTERPOL crime statistics of 39 countries, it was found that single parenthood ratios were strongly correlated with violent crimes. This was not true 18 years ago.
Source: Barber, Nigel. “Single Parenthood As a Predictor of Cross-National Variation in Violent Crime.” Cross-Cultural Research 38 (November 2004): 343-358.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #114
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #115
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #116
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I like to joke about Obama's throwing and mom jeans and whatnot... and I certainly don't agree with most of his world view... but I do admire him on a personal level due specifically to his demonstrable family values.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #117
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

More studies you haven't read? Don't make me do research for you again

Also, I seem to have missed your explanation of why single motherhood nearly doubled while violent crime didn't.

I'm guessing I'll be waiting on that.

Single motherhood: 10% Violent crime: .004%

Single motherhood: 19% Violent crime: .004%

Last edited by Blart; 02-18-2013 at 06:46 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #118
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
I seem to have missed your explanation of why single motherhood nearly doubled while violent crime didn't.

I'm guessing I'll be waiting on that.

So you are saying that and increase in absentee fathers leads directly to a decrease in per capita violent crime rates? That's fantastic. Surely there is a direct correlation there. Probably has nothing to due with law abiding citizens moving away from inner cities and into the suburbs... and I'm sure that every single violent crime that occurs within the urban setting is reported.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #119
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Quote:
So you are saying that and increase in absentee fathers leads directly to a decrease in per capita violent crime rates?
You seem to have trouble reading data. What you're looking at are two things that do not correlate.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #120
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I loved Obama's Father's day sermon. Predictably it angered a black liberal professor, specifically because the speech violated the first commandment of Liberalism: Thou shalt not be personally responsible for anything.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #121
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Yes yes, retreat to your youtube videos. I was just curious upon what evidence you formed your opinion - now I know. The murky combination of rage and paranoia.

Last edited by Blart; 02-18-2013 at 07:02 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #122
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
Yes yes, retreat to your youtube videos. I was just curious upon what evidence you formed your opinion - now I know. It was already formed before you saw any, and it can't be changed.

It was... it was.... Lead. Poisoning.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #123
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Describing absent fathers as a contributing factor to gun violence, President Obama told a Chicago audience Friday that he wished his own father hadn’t abandoned him as a child.

“There’s no more important ingredient for success, nothing that would be more important for reducing violence, than strong, stable families,” Mr. Obama said, “which means we should do more to promote marriage and encourage fatherhood.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2LGQrXPNE
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #124
Meck77

Blart think back to your childhood and the relationship with your father Did you try to make him proud when you were a kid? Did you fear some discipline when you know you ****ed up? Did dad offer you any guidance along the way?

Do you really need statistics to understand what the value of a good father is to his son?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #125
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

"But we also know that what too many fathers being absent means -- too many fathers missing from too many homes, missing from too many lives. We know that when fathers abandon their responsibilities, there’s harm done to those kids. We know that children who grow up without a father are more likely to live in poverty. They're more likely to drop out of school. They're more likely to wind up in prison. They’re more likely to abuse drugs and alcohol. They’re more likely to run away from home. They’re more likely to become teenage parents themselves.

And I say all this as someone who grew up without a father in my own life. He left my family when I was two years old. And while I was lucky to have a wonderful mother and loving grandparents who poured everything they had into me and my sister, I still felt the weight of that absence. It’s something that leaves a hole in a child’s life that no government can fill.

So we can talk all we want here in Washington about issues like education and health care and crime; we can build good schools; we can put money into creating good jobs; we can do everything we can to keep our streets safe -- but government can’t keep our kids from looking for trouble on those streets. Government can’t force a kid to pick up a book or make sure that the homework gets done. Government can’t be there day in, day out, to provide discipline and guidance and the love that it takes to raise a child. That’s our job as fathers, as mothers, as guardians for our children.
"

-- Barak Obama

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...hers-day-event