The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #101
ChrisToker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Ok, so tell me all about the surrounding passages of these Bible verses please. I want to know breakdown of the all the chapters before these verses, and all the chapters after these verses, and a breakdown of the books from which these verses come from. I also want you to tell me how the verses fit into the larger picture of the entire Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. Please be in depth. And you can't copy and paste someone elses work. You do the work.

I know people is seminary do this. This is why they are in seminary.

I don't for one second think you know what you are talking about. You have an agenda. Your agenda is to purposely missunderstand and then misuse the Bible. Like I said, there's very little difference between you and the person who wants to start a cult based on one or two verses of the Bible that are completely misinterpreted.
http://clergyproject.org/
Old 02-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #102
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post

Yeah, those 15 years at conservative Catholic schools and attending weekly Latin mass at Westminster Cathedral taught me nothing.

The message I was taught was of forgiveness, helping others, loving your fellow man and not being a judgmental a-hole.
Being that you are Catholic, you never studied the Bible. You may have gone to mass and sunday school, but you were told what to believe by priets, etc. Again, until you go to seminary or spend some time actually studying the Bible with others who went to seminary you are speaking from ignorance.

I've have grown up around Catholics and for the most part, they are the most ignorant people in the world when it comes to Catholicisim and the Bible.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #103
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisToker View Post
So what? Do you know how many different interpretations of the theory of evolution there are? Just because there are some who have lost faith does not make the Bible any less valid or true.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #104
ChrisToker

Everyone has a right to ones own belief. Technically the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the Holly spirit! Which is insane because it's the easiest to do! Most ppl do it a few times just from critical thinking.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #105
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
People who hate on gays, etc. should be bashed.
Who is hating on them? You got a problem with His word on the matter, take it up with Him when you're dead and He passes judgement on you.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #106
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisToker View Post
Everyone has a right to ones own belief. Technically the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the Holly spirit! Which is insane because it's the easiest to do! Most ppl do it a few times just from critical thinking.
Is that the same ghost that hates homosexuals?

Saw sinister the other day, starting to get my ghosts mixed up
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #107
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Being that you are Catholic, you never studied the Bible. You may have gone to mass and sunday school, but you were told what to believe by priets, etc. Again, until you go to seminary or spend some time actually studying the Bible with others who went to seminary you are speaking from ignorance.

I've have grown up around Catholics and for the most part, they are the most ignorant people in the world when it comes to Catholicisim and the Bible.
So unless one goes to seminary, they have no right to discuss the Bible?

You appear to live in a self righteous, holier-than-though world, and you're welcome to it.

Have a nice evening.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #108
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:

lol
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #109
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
So unless one goes to seminary, they have no right to discuss the Bible?

You appear to live in a self righteous, holier-than-though world, and you're welcome to it.

Have a nice evening.
Nope, never said that. I said you have an agenda and you are misinterpreting and misrepresenting the Bible, that is my point.

Have a great day!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #110
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Who is hating on them? You got a problem with His word on the matter, take it up with Him when you're dead and He passes judgement on you.
What did Jesus say about homosexuals?
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #111
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Nope, never said that. I said you have an agenda and you are misinterpreting and misrepresenting the Bible, that is my point.

Have a great day!
You keep saying this, over and over. So what is my agenda??

Other than asking a simple question that you deliberately ignore. So I'll ask again.

Quote:
Why is slavery and genocide condoned, but from exactly the same source, homosexuality a sin punishable by death?
Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #112
BroncoBeavis

Quote:

Other than asking a simple question that you deliberately ignore. So I'll ask again.
All I can tell you is read Acts 15.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #113
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
What did Jesus say about homosexuality?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #114
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Thanks, but could you narrow it down? 1-41?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #115
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Here are some more nuggets from the bible. "The word of the lord" LULZ:

Give beer to those who are perishing - Proverbs
Unicorns will make the land bloody and fat - Isaiah
If your eye isn't working, pluck it out and toss it away - Matthew
Put bad children with snakes - Isaiah
If two men are fighting and one of their wives gets in the way and hits a dude in his genitals, you should cut her hand off - Deuteronomy
If you hit your slave, and he survives, that's okay - Exodus
Random stuff about boiling and eating children - Kings
Bears tearing apart children for making fun of someone - Kings
Fig trees should suffer if they do not bear fruit for the godly - Matthew
Do not get a round haircut or you go to hell - Leviticus
Don't touch or eat pigs (football players - sinners) - Leviticus
Don't talk to psychics - Leviticus
If you pull out, that's still cheating, and you'll die - Genesis
No tattoos bro - Leviticus
You can't wear polyester - Leviticus
You can't get divorced - Mark (this is one all anti-gay zealots adhere to right?)
Eunuchs can not be part of the church - Deuteronomy
You can't braid your hair, wear gold, pearls, or hip clothes - Timothy
You can't eat shellfish - Leviticus
Children who curse their parents should be executed - Exodus
You can't gossip - Leviticus
If you get remarried, you're basically committing adultery - Mark
If you work on Sunday, you should be executed - Exodus
Women: shut up in church dammit - Corinthians
If a woman is not a virgin at marriage, she should be stoned - Deuteronomy

OH YEAH AND NO GAYS BRO
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #116
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
What did Jesus say about homosexuals?
Spoiler alert: Jesus himself never said anything about homosexuality. Some of his homies did, though, and people been yappin' bout it ever since.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #117
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Thanks, but could you narrow it down? 1-41?
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...15&version=NIV

It's really not that long. It's probably best to read it all for the context. But 24-29 gets to why many Christians believe some things apply while others do not.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #118
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:

It's really not that long. It's probably best to read it all for the context. But 24-29 gets to why many Christians believe some things apply while others do not.
So what makes "sexual immorality" apply but not the meat from strangled animals?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #119
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
So what makes "sexual immorality" apply but not the meat from strangled animals?

I'm not aware of any widespread practice of eating strangled animals. :p

And it's not coherent to say that anything Jesus never specifically mentioned automatically became fair game.

But casting my interpretation one way or another on this tough issue isn't really my role. I'm just trying to answer (because it was asked) why many Christians consider certain OT prohibitions still in effect while so many others are forgotten.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #120
Bacchus

In the past, Jeffress has claimed that Islam promoted pedophilia, said Judaism "leads people to an eternity of separation from God in hell," and reportedly reduced Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists and others to members of cults. (Jeffress criticized Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney for his Mormon faith but eventually supported him over Barack Obama, whose reelection he said would "pav(e) the way for the future reign of the Antichrist.") Jeffress denounced the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" by observing that "It's a fact that [AIDS is] a gay disease so there's a reasonable reason to exclude gays from the military.”
Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #121
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I'm not aware of any widespread practice of eating strangled animals. :p

And it's not coherent to say that anything Jesus never specifically mentioned automatically became fair game.

But casting my interpretation one way or another on this tough issue isn't really my role. I'm just trying to answer (because it was asked) why many Christians consider certain OT prohibitions still in effect while so many others are forgotten.
I just read the passage you cited and it doesn't say anything about homosexuality. It just talks about sexual immorality. And that in itself can be all sorts of things that were controversial at the time: adultery, polygamy, sodomy, etc. What we do know, however, is that society has been the one to develop the norm on what is acceptable sexually. And societies differ. Eg. I'm sure in certain parts of Utah, polygamy is still fine AND is accepted in staunchly religious circles. Polygamy itself wasn't even taboo during the time of the bible.

So, your passage doesn't really do anything to back-up why the religious right feels justified in opposing the rights of homosexuals.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #122
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:

Thanks for narrowing it.

It might explain why some choose to ignore some text, but it is very thin. It's more of a 'suggestion' and says nothing about homophobia.

Quote:
29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.
Farewell.
It leaves out many of the practices that, should have been mentioned as sinful and therefore shunned.
Jesus said nothing about homosexuality and that reinforces the suspicion that homophobia is not a 'Christian' trait, but an Old Testament Evangelical attitude. But even if it isn't that simple, if Church doctrine has decided it is a sin, then fine; keep that attitude within the Church and its followers can abstain their brains out.

This Bishop summarizes nicely, of course, he's probably regarded as a heretic by some of the sanctimonious Evangelicals here.

Quote:
This is the fourth in a series of articles, by The Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson, Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire, and visiting Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress, Washington, DC, examining the Biblical texts traditionally used to address the issue of homosexuality from a religious (Jewish and Christian) perspective.

What Jesus Says about Homosexuality:

Quote:
That's right. Jesus is not recorded as having said anything related to intimate sexual relationships between people of the same gender. One has to wonder, if homosexuality is such a heinous sin against God, why does Jesus himself never refer to it? One cannot extrapolate affirmation of such relationships from that silence, but still, why no mention of an issue now causing entire churches to split?

St. Paul's Letter to the Romans

Passages in Paul's epistles to the Romans and Corinthians, as well as a passage from I Timothy are cited by the tradition as condemning homosexuality. A closer look suggests some questions about that traditional understanding.
(A lot of textual context in the link, I have posted only the opening and closing paragraphs)

Quote:
In short, we are not certain what sexual practices Paul has in mind in this passage. He simply does not tell us. What is clear is that these practices are related to the worship of idols - and clearly not what we are talking about today. Our questions involve a modern understanding of human sexuality in which a small minority of people - by their nature - are affectionally oriented toward people of the same gender, a concept unknown to the ancient mind. And we are not talking about temple prostitutes, but rather two people of the same gender who are drawn into a faithful, monogamous, life-long-intentioned relationship. Not much help here on answering the questions we are asking.
http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/on...sexuality.html

Last edited by DenverBrit; 02-18-2013 at 12:12 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #123
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

I looked at another of the articles in the series, this time dealing with Leviticus.

Enlightening article for those interested as it gets to the root of homophobia among the Evangelical/Fundamentalists .

Homosexuality in Leviticus

By The Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson

Quote:
In practice, we modern day Christians have regarded most of the injunctions in the Holiness Codes of Leviticus and Deuteronomy as culturally bound to the ancient times of the Hebrews--but not binding on us. These same purity codes forbid eating shellfish, planting a field with two different kinds of seed or wearing simultaneously two kinds of cloth. They would prohibit us from ordaining to the priesthood any handicapped person - not to mention women. We cannot, then, isolate these passages about homosexual acts and impute to them the kind of enduring authority which we ascribe to nothing before or after these passages. One has to wonder why the biblical literalists who cite this passage against homosexuality don't seem to go all the way and advocate for death as the punishment for homosexual behavior! We cannot have it both ways.
http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/on...leviticus.html
Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #124
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Again, what is the context? Please refer to post #95.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #125
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

lol. Jesus didn't specifically address many, many, many things. That does not mean He is ok with it. Jesus didn't say anything about beastiality either.