The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

I guess there isn't any nickel and dimes to be made from wrestling. Off with it's head.

I will say I would like to see NBC lose their tv rights with all their taped garbage. Wouldn't shock me if they still did lots of tape programs for the Rio games(central time zone).

Add in the fact the Olympics is not really that interesting to me anymore.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #27
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I love the Olympics, but I can't believe they eliminated one of the most traditional disciplines in all of sport. It's just mind boggling how the IOC has systematically de-emphasized many historically traditional sports such as boxing and wrestling, while amping up these weird dance routines like the ribbons gymnastics and synchronized swimming.

I would bet boxing is next in the sights of these idiots.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #28
Agamemnon

So water polo, badminton, table tennis, equestrian, handball, fencing, and croquet are all in but not wrestling?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #29
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
poor central asia
That's what I was thinking. For many of the "-stans," not to mention Turkey, wrestling is their only ticket to the medal stand.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #30
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

It stupid decision. The Olympics is the only place were a true champion of that sport can be crowned. It makes far more sense to eliminate soccer (World Cup produces the world champ), tennis (Grand Slam anyone) or Golf before you eliminate wrestling or the modern pentathlon
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #31
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
Meanwhile, trash like synchronized diving and badminton remain in the Olympics.....
Ding Ding Ding
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #32
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
The stupid thing's always about politics anyways, these types of decisions are the norm, not the exception.
Except for when it's about the money. I don't know how, but this has to be in some way about the money.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #33
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Housewives don't like it, they like gymnastics and swimming so it had to go.

It's basically the same reason Drew Soicher has a job, it's what housewives like and has nothing to do with what hardcore sportsfans want.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #34
Bronco Yoda

How can they get rid of a traditional core competition? Really stupid. Then again the NFL will probably be go no-tackle in the near future.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #35
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Who gives a rats ass about wrestling? I can't believe people come up with that traditionalist nonsense, they allow professionals, they allow women, they allow clothing and they plaster sponsored by Visa on everything. This has nothing do to with the real olympics.

The olympics today is an opportunity for 8000 of the worlds most fit young people to congregate in a gated community and have unimaginable amounts of sex.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #36
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Worst idea ever. This is a fundamental component of international competition. No body should be able to eliminate an actual original Olympic event.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #37
extralife
Ring of Famer

I can't think of a single way anyone would rationalize this decision. I don't even understand the idea of a viewpoint that would lead to removing wrestling.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #38
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Who gives a rats ass about wrestling? I can't believe people come up with that traditionalist nonsense, they allow professionals, they allow women, they allow clothing and they plaster sponsored by Visa on everything. This has nothing do to with the real olympics.

The olympics today is an opportunity for 8000 of the worlds most fit young people to congregate in a gated community and have unimaginable amounts of sex.
wrestlers do it better
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #39
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Still in shock. Spent all day feeling like I was kicked in the balls. Just listened to john smith talk me off the ledge, I guess this was a recommendation and that there are additional meetings for wrestling to make its case, but for some reason still feel like my sport was straight kicked in the nuts by the pretty girl. Never in my wildest dreams imagined this...
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #40
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:

Well this pretty much sums it up perfectly.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #41
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

This makes 0 sense, wrestling is far from the least popular sport at the Olympics and its one of the core events. I'm guessing that the IOC changes their mind sometime before the 2020 Olympics and reinstates wrestling.
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #42
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

My theory is that it's a shakedown, for now anyways. The Pentathalon lobbyists paid more bribe money into the IOC, and so the IOC fires a warning shot to FILA that they better get their bribes in or the sport is toast.

Cooler heads will eventually prevail, and FILA will meet the IOC's demands.

Really, there's no way this makes any sense, other than corruption at the highest levels of the Olympic committee.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #43
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
wrestlers do it better
I should imagine a wrestler and a gymnast could have some sex the rest of us can't even fathom, I mean some **** that would shock and terrify chiropractors and orthopedic surgeons.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #44
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

****, why couldnt I be an olympian. Would it have killed my parents to train me in some obscure dumb sport no one cares about so I could have become one?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #45
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
My theory is that it's a shakedown, for now anyways. The Pentathalon lobbyists paid more bribe money into the IOC, and so the IOC fires a warning shot to FILA that they better get their bribes in or the sport is toast.

Cooler heads will eventually prevail, and FILA will meet the IOC's demands.

Really, there's no way this makes any sense, other than corruption at the highest levels of the Olympic committee.
+1
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #46
BroncsCheer

the IOC is the US TV's market's b****

this has to have something to do with ratings or selling commercials on TV

that, and the US hasn't had any heros on the mat since Rulon Gardner

i don't really care - never gave grappling a second thought actually.
once i saw how it caused anorexia in 2 of my schoolmates as a kid, i wrote it off as nonsense
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #47
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
Even before I began wrestling I remember John Smith, Kenny Monday and Bruce Baumgardner having some of the best reactions and tears at the medal stand. Some of my best olympic memories.

Oh well, I'm sure Jacques Rogge and his cronies all got BJ's from the modern pentathelon booster club.
That's probably it right there. Hard to believe wrestling got dropped in favor of the pentathlon.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote