The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Bmore Manning

Default What Are The Ripple Effects?

There's an obvious need to bolster the Offensive Line this offseason. In particular I think we see a glaring need to address the interior of the offensive line. But what I haven't seen addressed and a topic that we should really be discussing is what are the ripple effects?

For example, we have all seen mocks, or participated in a discussion, or saw someone else talking about drafting this player to take over at Guard/Center. Names like Warmack, Jones, Cooper, Warford, Bailey, Frederick, Winter. All these are players who could step in and contribute day one right?

Most of these names are Prospects who would address the need at Right Guard. If your selecting one of these players your using one of your premium 1-3 range picks for such a player. You wouldn't want to use that pick on someone who's not going to contribute right away.. Right?

Say you draft Warford in the second round, he could come in right away and play RG. What happens to Kuper? Surely he doesn't get paid almost $5 million dollars to be a back-up. Even if he took a pay cut, a $3 million dollar back-up? Well then Warford is your back-up right? But that's another second round premium pick on a player not contributing right away (Osweiler) catch my drift?

Say we draft DJ Fluker. He could no doubt step in day one and be the starter at RT. Franklin could kick inside to guard, or Fluker could even play RG. But what happens to Kuper? Again that's to high of a price tag for a back-up. But when healthy, Kuper is one of our better offensive linemen. Could he play Center or LG? Sure he could, frankly he could upgrade either position. But that would stunt the development of Walton/Beadles. Even though Beadles was a pro bowler and showed good improvement, Kuper would no doubt be better at LG than Beadles. Same thing with Walton, Walton showed great improvement prior to his injury, but who are we kidding Koppen was brought in and Blake drafted to push/replace Walton.

If you draft an early RT or RG, this will cause ripple effects in the OLine. Kuper either moves to Center, LG, takes one serious pay cut to be a back-up, is traded, or even released...

Let's discuss...
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
pricejj
jungle

If Kuper can't get healthy by the end of training camp, the Broncos have these other four options at RG:
a) Manny Ramirez
b) Philip Blake
c) C.J. Davis
d) Quentin Saulsberry

Worst case scenario is Philip Blake is starting at RG in 2013. I'm comfortable with that. He was playing at RG during last training camp, I'm sure he has been preparing since then. I don't see the Broncos drafting an OL with one of their first 2 picks.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Blake will compete at C and if those are our 4 options for starter @ RG if Kuper isn't healthy....we are ****ed!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Bmore Manning

Blake is unproven and did not look great in the pre season..

He was also drafted to play/compete at Center.

I like ManRam as a back-up..

I think we need depth at tackle, that's where the problem would be should one of our starters unfortunately go down..

But I was more curious about what we would do should we spend a high draft pick on right side of the line..
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
There's an obvious need to bolster the Offensive Line this offseason. In particular I think we see a glaring need to address the interior of the offensive line. But what I haven't seen addressed and a topic that we should really be discussing is what are the ripple effects?

For example, we have all seen mocks, or participated in a discussion, or saw someone else talking about drafting this player to take over at Guard/Center. Names like Warmack, Jones, Cooper, Warford, Bailey, Frederick, Winter. All these are players who could step in and contribute day one right?

Most of these names are Prospects who would address the need at Right Guard. If your selecting one of these players your using one of your premium 1-3 range picks for such a player. You wouldn't want to use that pick on someone who's not going to contribute right away.. Right?

Say you draft Warford in the second round, he could come in right away and play RG. What happens to Kuper? Surely he doesn't get paid almost $5 million dollars to be a back-up. Even if he took a pay cut, a $3 million dollar back-up? Well then Warford is your back-up right? But that's another second round premium pick on a player not contributing right away (Osweiler) catch my drift?

Say we draft DJ Fluker. He could no doubt step in day one and be the starter at RT. Franklin could kick inside to guard, or Fluker could even play RG. But what happens to Kuper? Again that's to high of a price tag for a back-up. But when healthy, Kuper is one of our better offensive linemen. Could he play Center or LG? Sure he could, frankly he could upgrade either position. But that would stunt the development of Walton/Beadles. Even though Beadles was a pro bowler and showed good improvement, Kuper would no doubt be better at LG than Beadles. Same thing with Walton, Walton showed great improvement prior to his injury, but who are we kidding Koppen was brought in and Blake drafted to push/replace Walton.

If you draft an early RT or RG, this will cause ripple effects in the OLine. Kuper either moves to Center, LG, takes one serious pay cut to be a back-up, is traded, or even released...

Let's discuss...
I asked Jeff Legwold about this very topic.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...on-manning-nfl

So as to keep as much continuity as possible on the line, my preference would be to land a RT prospect (Fluker, if possible). Thus, allowing Franklin to move to his more natural OG position. If not Fluker, then get a OG (Warford) to replace either Kuper or Beadles, and Franklin remains at RT.

Either way Denver must upgrade in the interior and become a better rushing team.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I asked Jeff Legwold about this very topic.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...on-manning-nfl

So as to keep as much continuity as possible on the line, my preference would be to land a RT prospect (Fluker, if possible). Thus, allowing Franklin to move to his more natural OG position. If not Fluker, then get a OG (Warford) to replace either Kuper or Beadles, and Franklin remains at RT.

Either way Denver must upgrade in the interior and become a better rushing team.
That's pretty cool! I am not sure how I feel about Franklin playing RG given his great play at RT. Should we draft a RT my preference would be Fluker even at 28. I'm not sure a CB, DT, DE, WR, RB, S would have the same impact that adding Fluker would to being a day 1 starter at RT.

I'm just not sure if I would rather Kuper play Center or LG. But if he did play LG and Blake emerged at Center, that would be one talented nasty OLine.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Keep Franklin at OT, draft an interior stud in this draft. Gots about like five of dem.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Last season was the first these guys played in the Manning offense youngers guys like Franklin/Beadles and even Walton before he got injured all improved dramatically.

The biggest thing for the OL is continuity of playing together in the same system. I don't think there a pressing need to change our starters, just let them continue to develop and log snaps together.

We have sufficient depth at G/C as well with Blake, Koppen (should be resigned) and Ramirez who started playing really well at the end of the season.

Maybe we could draft a T prospect to compete against Clark but I don't see a real big need here.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Keep Franklin at OT, draft an interior stud in this draft. Gots about like five of dem.
Where does Kuper play?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Where does Kuper play?
Oakland.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Last season was the first these guys played in the Manning offense youngers guys like Franklin/Beadles and even Walton before he got injured all improved dramatically.

The biggest thing for the OL is continuity of playing together in the same system. I don't think there a pressing need to change our starters, just let them continue to develop and log snaps together.

We have sufficient depth at G/C as well with Blake, Koppen (should be resigned) and Ramirez who started playing really well at the end of the season.

Maybe we could draft a T prospect to compete against Clark but I don't see a real big need here.
I'm with you, I think a back-up tackle is the most important need. But we can't ignore the fact that there may be some changes along the OLine. Should we draft a RT or RG with a premium pick, what do you do with Kuper?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Oakland.
Trade/Release?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Trade/Release?
I was just kidding. IMHO, I would get a T and G at some point in time, whether it is FA or draft.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

It's an interesting situation. Between Kuper and Walton's health, Kopen's age and Clady's contract, there is some need. There is some depth. They have spent some draft picks there. However I am uncertain how good the depth is. Best case is Kuper and Walton both come back and play well. Worst case is neither do and they have to spend higher draft picks there. I did not like Blake from what I saw in camp. That said, if they go higher than a second on an interior offensive lineman in this draft, he better be an all-world player or there better not be anything at another position worth the pick.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

I think you spend a early day 2 pick on a guard. At that spot in the draft you can still get a upper tier guard allowing us to address other positions earlier in the draft. Franklin has shown he can play RT in this league and do it well. Koppen is a FA so who knows if he will be back. Walton showed substantial progress last year and has had time to heal. Beadles has continued to progress and should continue to improve. Clady is top 5 LT.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I think you spend a early day 2 pick on a guard. At that spot in the draft you can still get a upper tier guard allowing us to address other positions earlier in the draft. Franklin has shown he can play RT in this league and do it well. Koppen is a FA so who knows if he will be back. Walton showed substantial progress last year and has had time to heal. Beadles has continued to progress and should continue to improve. Clady is top 5 LT.
If we spend a second or third rounder, which I would refer to as a premium pick on a Guard/Tackle, where does that put Kuper next season?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It's an interesting situation. Between Kuper and Walton's health, Kopen's age and Clady's contract, there is some need. There is some depth. They have spent some draft picks there. However I am uncertain how good the depth is. Best case is Kuper and Walton both come back and play well. Worst case is neither do and they have to spend higher draft picks there. I did not like Blake from what I saw in camp. That said, if they go higher than a second on an interior offensive lineman in this draft, he better be an all-world player or there better not be anything at another position worth the pick.
Unless Warmack or Cooper fall, I could only see DJ Fluker/Larry Warford being considered as a day one pick for RT/RG.. If one of them was the pick, where do you put Kuper?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Just get a damn RB worth a crap and watch the yards pile up. We call this the good player effect. See Manning for reference.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Where does Kuper play?
I really wouldn't count on Kuper playing even a snap next year. They need to move on, and plan on next season without him. If he can get healthy to actually play up to a standard, then that's just added bonus. But, I wouldn't count on it.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I think if we see a round 1 OL Clady is GONE! does the NFL do sign and trades?
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk idiot kicker View Post
I really wouldn't count on Kuper playing even a snap next year. They need to move on, and plan on next season without him. If he can get healthy to actually play up to a standard, then that's just added bonus. But, I wouldn't count on it.
Then what do you do with Kuper and his contract? $4 million is a substantial cap hit to not play, when free agency and the draft aren't quiet here yet and we could make the necessary moves..
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #22
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

did i miss something where Kuper has a more serious injury than we know of? or are we just ASSUMING because he keeps breaking the same thing?
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Why does DEN have to spend a draft pick on the O-line?
Regardless of the O-line situation depending on health or if the player is good or not, DEN can simply go into FA and get a nice option at OG or C. And no, these guys wont be too expensive.
Louis Vasquez SD (OG)
Brandon Moore NYJ (OG)
Matt Slauson NYJ (OG)

Fernando Velasco TEN (C)

Go get Velasquez or Moore for a modest contract.
Either will want out of a loser team, and be looking to win it all with a contender.
Then you have depth on the line, and DEN can let them all fight it out for a roster spot. DEN will still have enough $$$ in FA after some players re-work their contracts to go get another high-value FA. Relax.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Then what do you do with Kuper and his contract? $4 million is a substantial cap hit to not play, when free agency and the draft aren't quiet here yet and we could make the necessary moves..
That's where Elway is going to earn his money. I would hope he restructure to performance based markers. I just don't think he will any meaningful playing time next year. He really shouldn't play until he is fully healed, or he will be hurting the team bigtime.

2014 could be an entirely different story. But, then again, he could just turn into the next Willie Middlebrooks.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
did i miss something where Kuper has a more serious injury than we know of? or are we just ASSUMING because he keeps breaking the same thing?
His body is breaking down. As soon as he gets somewhat healed from one injury another one happens from added stress/compensation it's under. Unless he takes a whole season off, it's not going to end well.