The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #26
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Barrett Jones. Give me that 10 year stud center to shore up the middle of this line and work towards being able to convert more 3rd and short yardage downs.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
This week my #1 target is Jonathan Cooper at OG.

Who knows what I'll say next week, much less two months from now! ;>
He's a real stud who dominated his opponents most weeks. Him paired up with either of the guards we have would be a big improvement IMO. Kuper and Cooper and let Beadles be the depth. If Kuper struggles to get back then you have a plan B.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Barrett Jones. Give me that 10 year stud center to shore up the middle of this line and work towards being able to convert more 3rd and short yardage downs.
I love Jones also. I guess some of us see the problem with not being good enough inside on the oline. Others think CB but if Bailey doing one more yr i think we can still be good there.

If I was Broncos I would try and look for OG or C, RB, DT on the first day of the draft. The Dlineman are deep in this draft and Broncos should try and get in on it. You can't have enough Dends and DT who can play IMO.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
This week my #1 target is Jonathan Cooper at OG.

Who knows what I'll say next week, much less two months from now! ;>
Tomorrow even

I'm really glad your my dad
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #30
pricejj
jungle

How many of you guys have seen Margus Hunt? Watched his video for the first time today.

6''8" Estonian with a 4.6 forty. Plays DE. The dude is like Klitschko...jesus.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #31
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I want the guy who will add the most value to the team over the course of his career. I don't care so much if it's at a position of need or not. I'd prefer a playmaker (pass rusher, CB, WR, etc.) over a building block (OL, run stuffing DT).
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #32
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

DT Johnathan Hankins Ohio State
DT Kawann Short Purdue
DT Sheldon Richardson Missouri
DT John Jenkins Georgia
S Matt Elam Florida

Any other defensive player from Alabama
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #33
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

[QUOTE=pricejj;3796689]

Quote:
The addition of Sam Montgomery, as a true, strongside 4-3 DE, gives the Broncos pass-rushability out of any formation, and increases their ability to defend the edge against the run.
Took a look at him like I said.
First read Rangs analysis, both good and bad.
Good closing speed, holds his edge well. Evident in the vids that I saw.
A little slow off the snap, also saw this.
Poor change of direction, I didn't see this , but nobody looks bad in a Hi Light film.
Has trouble with shifty rbs, and trouble w/cut blocks, didn't see this either.

Will be watching for his agility numbrs at the combine.

Also I am a believer in production.
His numbers this last year are;
TT- not in the top 100.
TFL-#55(not bad)
Sacks- #33 (pretty good)
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #34
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I like all of those guys, but only Cooper would be value there.

Hopkins is terrific, but the sheer amount of guys JUST like him coming out in this draft makes him a horrible value even at 28.

Matt Elam is also a good S, but he scares me taking in the first round. He is not the Ed Reed TO machine and he is small and Hits Like Bob Sanders. I worry if he can stay on the field at the next level. He might be worth it for awhile, but long term Not sure first rounder value.
I think Elam is going to move up boards once people start really evaluating tape. Kiper has already moved him up to #25 on his latest Big Board. I understand your concerns about him staying healthy based on his size and the way he plays (as I mentioned, the similarities to Bob Sanders are what I love about him), but he hasn't had any seriously issues at the collegiate level, and while he is a smaller safety, he's still bigger than Sanders was.

The WRs are kind of hard to order right now. As you indicated, there's a cluster of five or six at the top who are very similar prospects. But, in terms of value, I think sometimes when get too caught up in projections. For instance, saying something along the lines of "there are several WRs with similar grades as Hopkins, therefore you can get a similar player for later at better value." The problem with this line of thinking is that it forgets that some (if not most) of these guys aren't going to pan out at all. The trick to identify which ones will. I'm convinced Hopkins will be one of the success stories, so I'd have no problem with him late in round 1. You mentioned Hilton earlier...if there were a redraft today, do you think A.J. Jenkins would still go ahead of him? Last year, they were viewed as very as similar prospects, but only one made any impact. That's the trick. I think Hopkins will be able to make a Hilton-like impact right away, especially with Manning at QB.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #35
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

Would love Cooper at #28... Doubt he falls to us, though.

Watched some you tube videos yesterday and here's my impression (FWIW) of some of the guys we've been talking about in the first round.

RB's

Eddie Lacy... pretty impressed but not so much I think he's be a steal at 28
Montee Ball... 1/2 step below Lacy
the 2 guys I did like in the later rounds are Joseph Randle OKST and Johnathan Franklin UCLA

DT

Sheldon Richardson - Like alot but won't be around
Jesse Williams - not worth 28th pick
Johnathan Hankins - pretty strong but not as quick as I'd like
Sharrif Floyd - See Sheldon Richardson
John Jenkins - On some plays he looks like the best DT in the draft on other plays not so much... If someone can get him to lose some weight and get stronger and learn a little bit of technique, he could be one the best players in the draft.
Sylvester Williams - Very impressed with him... Not the biggest but he seemed pretty strong and quick and consistently stayed low.
Kawann Short - about the same as Hankins... He had some trouble getting push but showed surprising side to side pursuit ability.

MLB -

Mante Teo - Not going to be an option, IMO...

Alex Ogletree - Lots to like but I can't get past his lack of size (and therefore strength) and if he could really play MLB at the next level.

Kevin Minter - A really solid player, not elite at any one thing, but no weaknesses either.

Someone I really came away impressed with is Vince Williams from FSU, I don't think he's worth our first round pick but I think he's really underrated.

Safety:

Matt Elam: not sure he's quite worth 28 but he is an impressive hitter and excellent open field tackler

Eric Reid: Ed Reed lite; Center fielder with elite athletic abililty and toughness

T.J. McDonald: Had heard that he was next overhyped USC safety but I came away very impressed

Tony Vaccaro: Kind of a cross between Reid and Elam - Very Good

Tony Jefferson: A half step below the top 4 safeties but there's no holes in his game. Would love him in the 2nd round.

D.J. Swearinger: A true in the box big hitter, would be a liability in coverage though.
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #36
Drunken.Broncoholic

Eddie lacy at 28 is hard to pass up. Fairly deep line draft and can get a good one in the 2nd.

It's no secret this offense fell apart when Mcgahee and Moreno got hurt.

I don't trust Alabama defenders on their own in the NFL. More rolandos than harpers come out from there.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #37
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Swearinger isn't a first round guy, but worth a look sooner than later because he has played every position in the DB with the Gamecocks and brings versatility to our secondary. He has had man-on-man coverage responsibilities on WR and would be excellent in a big nickel roll battling tight ends in the NFL. I don't think he has spectacular range and speed, but he makes up for it by being in the right place on time by quick and sound diagnosis of the play. Really like him.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #38
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I think Elam is going to move up boards once people start really evaluating tape. Kiper has already moved him up to #25 on his latest Big Board. I understand your concerns about him staying healthy based on his size and the way he plays (as I mentioned, the similarities to Bob Sanders are what I love about him), but he hasn't had any seriously issues at the collegiate level, and while he is a smaller safety, he's still bigger than Sanders was.

The WRs are kind of hard to order right now. As you indicated, there's a cluster of five or six at the top who are very similar prospects. But, in terms of value, I think sometimes when get too caught up in projections. For instance, saying something along the lines of "there are several WRs with similar grades as Hopkins, therefore you can get a similar player for later at better value." The problem with this line of thinking is that it forgets that some (if not most) of these guys aren't going to pan out at all. The trick to identify which ones will. I'm convinced Hopkins will be one of the success stories, so I'd have no problem with him late in round 1. You mentioned Hilton earlier...if there were a redraft today, do you think A.J. Jenkins would still go ahead of him? Last year, they were viewed as very as similar prospects, but only one made any impact. That's the trick. I think Hopkins will be able to make a Hilton-like impact right away, especially with Manning at QB.
Elam is not much bigger at all than Sanders maybe an inch, and smaller in the frame. Also, Sanders ran a legit 4.3 and had amazing 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone drills to prove his lateral agility. That being said, Elam is a big hitter, just not the complete tackler that Polumalu and Sanders were coming out IMHO. Elam misses a lot more than they did on tape.

As for the WR position, I get your point, and it can be hard to sort the WR's in this draft out. There is no clear cut AJ Green or Julio Jones type player who has it all. The thing about Hopkins is he is going to be a player like Reggie Wayne, not tremendously physically talented but a very good WR. In the right system, with a good QB like Manning who can throw him open against NFL level CB's he is going to be that kind of guy. I think that is the ceiling for Hopkins though.

What I see with WR's this year is several more guys who play just like him and are even more talented physically. They were not as productive due to the systems they were in, but the same type of player. As for the Hilton reference to WR's last year, I had him as a late second early third guy. I was completely stunned when no one in the OM draft took him so I nabbed him as a value pick for INDY in the late fifth. The Colts agreed and took him late third. He only lasted to there because he was a shade UNDER 5'10. He played like he was 6'0 on film though and the legit 4.3 speed and return abilities were the icing on the cake for me.

WR's are very deep this year, and while you talk about knowing who is going to hit you just don't know. I would go BPA not at WR in the first though. Plenty of excellent guys who can come in and compete at the slot position for less resources IMHO.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #39
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Aaron Dobson and Marquess Wilson are going to be steals for people in this draft. Woops. Now I revealed my board.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #40
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
I'm big on production.

Top 8 DE's in 2013 draft (organized by production (2012, 2011)):

1. Damontre Moore:
2012: 85 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 21 TFL's
2011: 72 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 17.5 TFL's

2. Alex Okafor:
2012: 62 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 16.5 TFL's
2011: 51 tackles, 6 sacks, 12.5 TFL's

3. Bjoern Werner:
2012: 42 tackles, 13 sacks, 18 TFL's
2011: 37 tackles, 7 sacks, 11 TFL's

4. Sam Montgomery:
2012: 37 tackles, 8 sacks, 13 TFL's
2011: 49 tackles, 9 sacks, 13.5 TFL's

5. Datone Jones:
2012: 62 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 19 TFL's
2011: 41 tackles, 3.0 sacks, 6.5 TFL's

6. Ezekiel Ansah:
2012: 62 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 13 TFL's

7. Dion Jordan:
2012: 44 tackles, 5.0 sacks, 10.5 TFL's
2011: 42 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 13.0 TFL's

8. Barkevious Mingo:
2012: 38 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 8.5 TFL's
2011: 46 tackles, 7.0 sacks, 15 TFL's

At this point last year, none of the national media had Derek Wolfe in their top 10 DT's. I wanted the Broncos to pick him high. He turned out to be one of the best in his class. Just goes to show, that their groupthink isn't very productive. Keep in mind that Montgomery plays in the SEC too. He's no Damontre Moore (who could be an All-Pro), but gets consistently good production.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #41
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I find it ridiculous that Robert Woods is listed on many sites as the tenth best receiver in this draft. He was playing on a bad ankle this season and Marquise Lee was taking a lot of his catches. Some lucky team will pick him up in the bottom of the second round and he'll make a bigger impact, and faster, than all those others drafted above him. You heard it here first.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #42
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I find it ridiculous that Robert Woods is listed on many sites as the tenth best receiver in this draft. He was playing on a bad ankle this season and Marquise Lee was taking a lot of his catches. Some lucky team will pick him up in the bottom of the second round and he'll make a bigger impact, and faster, than all those others drafted above him. You heard it here first.
Would love to get Woods. Remember that awesome season he had a few years ago?
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
Drunken.Broncoholic

Werners stock will rise. He could even go at 2
Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #44
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
On many sites? I have seen him lower than 5 or 6 on a few, but not many. He is definitely going to be a steal for someone.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #45
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I'd love Lacy but, I'll be amazed if he drops that low
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #46
NickStixx

Yeah I would like to get Eddie Lacy, but I don't see him falling that far to us.
My wish list would be:
1. Kawann Short DT
2. Jordan Poyer CB
3. Xavier Rhodes CB
4. Sharrif Floyd DT
5. Marcus Trufant CB
6. Matt Elam S

Though I think that we would go after a bigger hitting safety like TJ McDonald.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #47
pricejj
jungle

I think the Broncos will have to make a bit of a move in the 2nd round to acquire a starter, #58 is a little low. I would like to see them trade up a few spots to target a guy like Travis Frederick in the 2nd (or to get another starting caliber player who slips).

Last edited by pricejj; 02-21-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #48
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

There will be starting caliber players who can come in right away and contribute @ 58.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #49
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
There will be starting caliber players who can come in right away and contribute @ 58.
Yeah, but at which positions?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #50
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Positions of need:
OG - Travis Frederick - gone
LB - Arthur Brown - gone (not that I want him at MIKE anyway)
WR - Markus Wheaton - gone
DT - all 1st and 2nd tier guys - gone
RB - don't need one
Safety - maybe Philip Thomas, but that's a bit of a reach
CB - Alford and Taylor still on the board...but Poyer is a real impact player.

Anyone else in mind?

The Broncos need to fill a bunch of positions (not the least of which is Kicker), so I know draft picks are at a premium. But we need to get a starter in the 2nd round.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: