The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
pricejj
jungle

Default Who do you want at #28?

edit: BPA (hopefully a CB)

Last edited by pricejj; 03-06-2013 at 10:05 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Conklin
Outlose, Outcry, Out1st

Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
driver
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

[QUOTE=pricejj;3796355]Sam Montgomery

Though a little part of me wants Tavon Austin. If neither one of those guys are available, trade down.
Quote:
I'm officially off the LB bandwagon entirely for the first 3 rounds.
It's about time. I've been arguing against the Teo/Minter fans for months.
They offer nothing that Klein or Alonzo does'nt have and they will go in the third or fourth rnds. Really the besst prospect is Ogletree and IMO he''l be gone before we get a sniff.

T austen scare's me, like all small players. some big cb.fs. or lb is going to blind side him, he will go flying at a relatavistic speed and disappear into another dimension. Bye,Bye with our high draft pick.

As for Sam Montgomery what do you see that Beal, Jackson, or Ayres doesn't have?

I think our best bet is trade back into the 2nd, as high as we can of course,and pick some extra late round picks.

From what I see there are approximately 4 players who rank 9.0 or better.
There are about the same number who grade at 8.0 or better.
Then you have a truckload of 7-0 player who can be taken from the 20th pick in the 1st round to the middle or late 2nd round.

We'll never get a chance at a Warmack or Joeckel or any of the other higher ranked players. So we might as well trade back if we can.

Last edited by driver; 02-13-2013 at 05:13 AM..
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

I want us to take the best DT (specifically NT), or MLB available and if there is a S, G/C, WR (Peyton can never have too many weapons) or everydown RB who is of great value at our pick then I want us to draft them. If there is several similarly graded players, and no high value guys then I want us to trade down. In short, I want us to do this year what we did last year. If Pitt. hadn't taken DeCastro it's was reported that we would have taken him, even though we didn't have a huge need at G. They did and so we traded down got an extra pick and got terrific value in Derrick Wolfe at pick 36. That's the kind of smart value based strategy I want us to employ again this year.
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

[QUOTE=driver;3796533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Sam Montgomery

Though a little part of me wants Tavon Austin. If neither one of those guys are available, trade down.

It's about time. I've been arguing against the Teo/Minter fans for months.
They offer nothing that Klein or Alonzo does'nt have and they will go in the third or fourth rnds. Really the besst prospect is Ogletree and IMO he''l be gone before we get a sniff.

T austen scare's me, like all small players. some big cb.fs. or lb is going to blind side him, he will go flying at a relatavistic speed and disappear into another dimension. Bye,Bye with our high draft pick.

As for Sam Montgomery what do you see that Beal, Jackson, or Ayres doesn't have?

I think our best bet is trade back into the 2nd, as high as we can of course,and pick some extra late round picks.

From what I see there are approximately 4 players who rank 9.0 or better.
There are about the same number who grade at 8.0 or better.
Then you have a truckload of 7-0 player who can be taken from the 20th pick in the 1st round to the middle or late 2nd round.

We'll never get a chance at a Warmack or Joeckel or any of the other higher ranked players. So we might as well trade back if we can.
There are NO 9.0 players or even 8.0 players in this draft. There are a couple of 7.5's and a dirtload of 6.5 and 7.0's on your scale. There are simply NO Elite players in this draft. And none of the guys who are in the 7.5 club are skill position players.

The best point of this draft is the dead middle of the first round. Some teams are going to rank players in 7.0 range by need and I really bet a few of the top 7.0 players drop to 16-20.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
socalorado
Ring of Famer

I actually think DEN is targeting one of these 3 CBs at #28.
Desmond Trufant
Xavier Rhodes
Jordan Poyer
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post

For me, Austin represents a high-risk/high-reward type player. Though it may be more practical to wait until the 2nd round for Markus Wheaton (who is also fast). There is something really alluring about a guy (Austin) who has 4.38 speed, and has the body control that he does.

Quote:
Speed. Beal is even slower than Wolfe (and will never see the field). Ayers has never been a sackmaster, he just doesn't have the moves. Jackson has potential, but is also quite slow. Sam Montgomery is ultra-fast for a man his size and reminds me of Neil Smith. I really think he is a 8-10 sack per year player in the NFL. Can't pass that up, if he's there at #28.

Quote:
Or they could trade up a few spots, and target the guy they want in the 1st round. The Broncos real needs in this draft are: 1 DL, 2 CB's, 1WR, 1 SOLB, and 1 Kicker.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

In a dream scenario I want Ogletree. But would be happy with Short.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Whoever is the best out of the MLB, DT, S or OG available.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

There are a handful of players I would gladly welcome as Broncos @ #28.

I will say this: I believe Shariff Floyd has moved way out of our reach. There was a quote from a general manager that thinks he can change the game as much as Warren Sapp did. It is pretty high praise, especially for a player who was not that savvy in the pass rush, but he has undeniable skills, talent and is one of the most versatile DL in this draft. There was also an article on NFLDC the other day that said out of 10 GM/Scouts interviewed, most people think he is going Top 15.

Some guys I like:

Jonathan Cooper, OG -- North Carolina (Don't think he falls to us, but if he did, he should be a high consideration.)

Alec Ogletree, LB -- Georgia (Same as above, but think he would be a perfect fit here.)

Kevin Minter, ILB -- LSU (Believe he is fair value that late in the first.)

Kawann Short, DT -- Purdue (Cannot believe he is not rated higher than he is. One of the more consistent players over the past few years on the DL in the NCAA and was a man amongst boys at the Senior Bowl.)

John Jenkins, DT -- Georgia (Medical checks and his shape at Indianapolis will be a big factor for us. I think he is a first-round talent and a great fit for our scheme.)

Xavier Rhodes, CB -- Florida State (Rhodes grade is going to be dependent on how he runs at INDY -- if it isn't 4.4 range, he is going to slip a bit, but I think he can be a complete player.)

Guys like Matt Elam, Eric Reid at safety could be candidates in a trade down. I wouldn't be surprised if Cyprien is a target if we do that.

Cordarrelle Patterson is a sleeper pick, I think he might go a little bit higher, but I like his upside. I think he will be a real game changer, but considering the depth at WR in this class, I'd rather wait. Big fan of Markus Wheaton, who I think has placed himself in the second round. A performance (good) at Indy should solidify that.

Really, at this point in time, I think trading down could be our best option. There are a TON of players after that who are still going to perform at a high level. I wouldn't mind picking in the early second and grabbing an extra third or fourth by moving out like we did last year -- under the condition we don't waste gained resources by moving back up.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Obviously, things could change as players move up and down the board, but based on current projections:

1) Matt Elam, S, Florida - Makes tons on plays, is great in coverage and physical down in the box. Reminds me of Bob Sanders.

2) DeAndre Hopkins, Wr, Clemson - Homer pick, but I think he'll be a playmaker right off the bat in the slot.

3) Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina - Versatile interior lineman who can play any of the three inside spots. Extremely athletic. I like him because it provides depth and competition across the interior. Not chained to one spot.

I don't expect a MLB with 1st round value to be available. DT typically has a low first year impact, so with the "Manning window" I don't expect that to be the pick.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Cordarrelle Patterson is a sleeper pick, I think he might go a little bit higher, but I like his upside. I think he will be a real game changer, but considering the depth at WR in this class, I'd rather wait. Big fan of Markus Wheaton, who I think has placed himself in the second round. A performance (good) at Indy should solidify that.
After just watching some youtube on him, I'll say Hells Yeah!

I think one thing the Ravens game should have taught us is that having 3 bigtime receiving threats can be a really great thing.

Screw the smaller slot guy as our 3rd WR. Lets have all three be big, tall, fast physical guys with bigtime YAC.

That would take our offense to the next level. That and a dependable, physical RB in the mid-rounds.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

If all you do is strenthen your weaknesses, all you will end up with is a bunch of strong weaknesses.

And no true strengths...
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Obviously, things could change as players move up and down the board, but based on current projections:

1) Matt Elam, S, Florida - Makes tons on plays, is great in coverage and physical down in the box. Reminds me of Bob Sanders.

2) DeAndre Hopkins, Wr, Clemson - Homer pick, but I think he'll be a playmaker right off the bat in the slot.

3) Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina - Versatile interior lineman who can play any of the three inside spots. Extremely athletic. I like him because it provides depth and competition across the interior. Not chained to one spot.

I don't expect a MLB with 1st round value to be available. DT typically has a low first year impact, so with the "Manning window" I don't expect that to be the pick.
I like all of those guys, but only Cooper would be value there.

Hopkins is terrific, but the sheer amount of guys JUST like him coming out in this draft makes him a horrible value even at 28.

Matt Elam is also a good S, but he scares me taking in the first round. He is not the Ed Reed TO machine and he is small and Hits Like Bob Sanders. I worry if he can stay on the field at the next level. He might be worth it for awhile, but long term Not sure first rounder value.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk idiot kicker View Post

I think one thing the Ravens game should have taught us is that having 3 bigtime receiving threats can be a really great thing.

Screw the smaller slot guy as our 3rd WR. Lets have all three be big, tall, fast physical guys with bigtime YAC.

That would take our offense to the next level. That and a dependable, physical RB in the mid-rounds.
There are more than few WR's like that in this draft, and a few like TY Hilton was used in INDY. It's just the sheer numbers that college is producing that dilutes the demand anymore. Same thing with RB in this particular class.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
There are more than few WR's like that in this draft, and a few like TY Hilton was used in INDY. It's just the sheer numbers that college is producing that dilutes the demand anymore. Same thing with RB in this particular class.
So who do you want?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #17
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk idiot kicker View Post

As I said, I'd prefer us to wait. I think Markus Wheaton is going to be a damn good player and would take him in the second if he was still on the board. Patterson is going to go pretty high in my opinion. There are teams who need wideouts and he is one of the better ones available and I've seen him mocked as high as #12 to the Dolphins. Minnesota desperately needs a wide receiver and there are a few other teams well before our selection who could go that route too. Doubt Patterson is gonna last. There might be other players like him in the draft from a speed standpoint and where they could make an impact right away, but the guys Mediator has in mind don't have this kids kind of potential. It is off the charts. Randy Moss legit. Patterson isn't just a slot guy too -- he can play inside and out. I really think he is going to storm it up in the NFL if he keeps his head on straight.

Last edited by Requiem; 02-13-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
driver
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

[QUOTE=Mediator12;3796572][QUOTE=driver;3796533]

Quote:
There are NO 9.0 players or even 8.0 players in this draft. There are a couple of 7.5's and a dirtload of 6.5 and 7.0's on your scale. There are simply NO Elite players in this draft. And none of the guys who are in the 7.5 club are skill position players.
WOW!
Never thought of myself as an optomist before.
I don't like it!

Please Stop accusing me of this heresy!

But seriously you don't think there are any 9 ranked players in this draft?
Not even my 2 examples Warmack and Joeckel??
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

[QUOTE=driver;3796635][QUOTE=Mediator12;3796572]
Quote:

WOW!
Never thought of myself as an optomist before.
I don't like it!

Please Stop accusing me of this heresy!

But seriously you don't think there are any 9 ranked players in this draft?
Not even my 2 examples Warmack and Joeckel??
Both are the 7.5 along with 2 others IMHO. I am NOT as high on Joeckel as some scouts are to this point. In fact, I think he is tremendously overhyped right now. He really is the closest thing to Elite though in the draft and it makes people think he is Ryan Clady good coming out. I think he has a few things that keep him from being an 8.0 type guy, like not getting beat by inferior competition with power. The power guys are going to be a rude awakening for him at the next level.

I like Warmack but the guys next to him were damn good too. It is hard to grade him one on one because he was part of tremendously talented and Massive OL that pushed people around and worked so darn well together. I think as a run blocker he's everything you would want. However, there were times the pass blocking broke down and Warmack was right there. Not the dominant pass blocker at LG you want right now.

So, while I like both of them, none of these guys are gauranteed All pro types to get that kind of grade.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
So who do you want?
In due time

We still have a draft to do, but there are more guys I like at WR this year than in seasons past.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
driver
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

[QUOTE=pricejj;3796591]

Quote:
Speed. Beal is even slower than Wolfe (and will never see the field). Ayers has never been a sackmaster, he just doesn't have the moves. Jackson has potential, but is also quite slow. Sam Montgomery is ultra-fast for a man his size and reminds me of Neil Smith. I really think he is a 8-10 sack per year player in the NFL. Can't pass that up, if he's there at #28

I'll have to take a look at his youtube vid's.

Quote:
The Broncos real needs in this draft are: 1 DL, 2 CB's, 1WR, 1 SOLB, and 1 Kicker.
My wish list has 1cb 2 safeties a ILB 1wr and a couple of ol.
Also I'd like to get a couple of rb's in the later rounds, Burkhead and Davis maybe.

Last edited by driver; 02-13-2013 at 09:26 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
As I said, I'd prefer us to wait. I think Markus Wheaton is going to be a damn good player and would take him in the second if he was still on the board.
You're right about Markus Wheaton, Req. The dude is money. I know CB is a real big need for the Broncos. There are only a few CB's that could pry me away from Wheaton at #58 if he's there.

Acquiring Wheaton would enable the Broncos to move Decker in to the slot, and would take the lid off the Defense. It would be a real game changer for the Broncos Offense. Wheaton has great YAC ability, good hands (though he lets it get into his body sometimes), and 4.44 speed (2nd fastest WR in this class).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
In due time

We still have a draft to do, but there are more guys I like at WR this year than in seasons past.
Dude, just give us one name that you're looking at. It's a pre-combine pick.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

This week my #1 target is Jonathan Cooper at OG.

Who knows what I'll say next week, much less two months from now! ;>
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
pricejj
jungle

Quote:

I'll have to take a look at his youtube vid's.
He's a much better pass-rushing prospect than Chandler Jones, who went #22 overall in 2012 (with a similar body-type). He also has good run-stopping ability, and get's lot's of TFL's.

Montgomery is a 6'5" guy who could crack into the 4.5's at the combine. I expect him to hurdle Ezekiel Ansah, Alex Okafor, Dion Jordan, and Datone Jones before the draft. If the Broncos have Montgomery, they would be guaranteed to get pressure out of a 4-man Defensive front of Miller, Montgomery, Wolfe, and Dumervil. Can't double everybody heh heh.

To get him, I think the Broncos are going to have to trade up, just like the Patriots traded up last year. The NT's that are ranked so high right now by wannabe scouts (like Mayock), will fall just like the DT's from last year fell. 320 lb. run stopping NT veterans aren't hard to come by (take Kevin Vickerson for example). 6'5" DE's who can run in the 4.5's are VERY hard to come by. Montgomery is a good football player, he's not just an athletic freak. Ezekiel Ansah is a hope and a dream. Alex Okafor doesn't have closing speed, and doesn't use his hands very well. Dion Jordan, is more like an OLB. Sam Montgomery is the real deal. He was clocked in the 4.4's in high school.

Flacco would have been pulverized by Montgomery on the bomb to Ford. He has elite closing speed. Ayers had no effect on the play. Almost there, but not quite.

It's only a matter of time before Montgomery goes flying up draft boards. I would pick him top 20 in this draft. He is the exact size and speed as Neil Smith...he's got moves too. The fact that all the national ranking sites have Montgomery ranked no higher than #30 is baffling. Seems like they are all more interested in finding the next obscure athletic freak, whose projections are based more on potential than actual results. It's like they are all searching for the next tweener Von Miller, or small-school JPP.

Weird how guys like Bjoern Werner and Damontre Moore are sure-fire top 5's...but Sam Montgomery is barely a 1st rounder? Give me a break. Group think at it's worst. It's like Bellichick took over all the national sites. He copies other people (like Coughlin), and extreme reaches on guys. They are all starting to do that too. That's what happens when you think you try to outsmart every one else and ignore the obvious.

Until the next bespectacled 250 pound country boy with a watermelon and chicken tattoo comes out, who just happens to run a 4.42 forty...there ain't gonna be another Von Miller. Get used to it.

The Broncos had real problems with edge pursuit last year. Miller's continuous presence on the line, the vulnerability of Dumervil against the run, and the relatively slow footspeed of Wolfe, Vickerson, and Bannan...amplified by the fact that both Woodyard, and Brooking are somewhat easily blockable, exposed the Defense at times. Allowing Rahim Moore to focus merely on the center-field (instead of having to constantly peek in the backfield to guard against big runs), free's him up to do what he does best. Allowing Wolfe to shift to UT, allows him to do what he does best. And allowing Von Miller to not be double-teamed every time he rushes the passer, makes him a lot more effective.

The addition of Sam Montgomery, as a true, strongside 4-3 DE, gives the Broncos pass-rushability out of any formation, and increases their ability to defend the edge against the run.

Last edited by pricejj; 02-13-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #25
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I really like Minter if he is available, but i understand we can get a decent MLB later in the draft as well...

I am more and more just wanting BPA regardless of position other than QB..

I am on board with Tavon Austin
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: