The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #51
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
so much of this story smells. first, if he left at 16 yrs, he either was mustered out for cause or he left on his own. nobody, i mean NOBODY, in the military does not know the retirement impact of leaving at 16. you are briefed on it. now, there used to be a graduated retirement at 15, but i don't know if its still in effect. apparently not.
second, every security company in the world would die to get an ex seal on staff, for a lot more than a chief petty officer's pay. so, what's up with that?
there has to be more to the story than what we read.
I think he thought he'd be a hero or walked into a position as an executive or consultant - if not maybe a book deal or something. Whatever it was, he expected something and didn't get it and now he's regretting leaving at 16. The answer is to get his name in the news.

Note the whole story revolves around, "Come on, I'm the guy that killed Bin Laden. Shouldn't I get something for that?".
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #52
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
As for the Seal not knowing about benefits, he must have skipped out on his mandatory separation briefings.
this was my exact first thought, I had to sit through a whole day of that ****
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #53
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Single payer healthcare system for all.
Yep.

A HEALTHY nation is a productive nation.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #54
C130Herkload
Trash Hauler Supreme

Kickin' a$$ to save your's

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Nalen

There is not nor has there been a 15 year retirement option available in the military.

Im currently this week going through my transition briefing and its been a lot of information to take in, but its all very clearly presented. There is a slew of websites the VA runs that deal solely with all aspects of the switch to civilian life. This poor guy was probably burned out, true. But there are other options in his community in a support role that would have carried him over the 20year point.

He wasnt screwed as the article states. Being in for 16 years, he would have known what it took to get to a point where benefits would kick in, however meager they currently are. Its not an easy process leaving the military, regardless of what your role was...no way this guy was that naive. He did a truly heroic thing, but that type of mission was what he volunteered for. Sad, but to be singled out...no. Lots of folks leave after less than 20, happens every day.

As I said, Im enduring the retirement process now after 21 years and its scary, especially in this economic climate-I get to be unemployed in 6 mos. I feel for the guy-I really do, but given his skillset-he'll land on his feet. Probably soon too.
C130Herkload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #55
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Wait.. so you think he might've been captured that night... or he might not've. He might be dead... or he might not be. You're just adamant that the story that he was captured and is now dead is impossible.

You're literally just deciding the government lied for absolutely no reason and you have no idea what the lie could be.
I never said it was impossible, but when someone says they did something while refusing to offer any proof they actually did it, and worse, seem to have made a point of disposing of any evidence one way or the other, I become very suspicious. When it's the U.S. government, who everyone knows lives off of lies and secrets, that suspicion simply balloons. There are some very naive people in this thread.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #56
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I never said it was impossible, but when someone says they did something while refusing to offer any proof they actually did it, and worse, seem to have made a point of disposing of any evidence one way or the other, I become very suspicious. When it's the U.S. government, who everyone knows lives off of lies and secrets, that suspicion simply balloons. There are some very naive people in this thread.
Having skepticism and assuming a conspiracy are two totally different things.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #57
Agamemnon

Quote:
Having skepticism and assuming a conspiracy are two totally different things.
I never called it a conspiracy. That's a term people throw around to try and discredit viewpoints like mine. I'm saying that they are almost certainly lying about what exactly happened because if they were telling the truth there would actually be some kind of proof. The utter lack of proof and their complete avoidance of giving any indicates obfuscation. Period.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #58
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I never called it a conspiracy. That's a term people throw around to try and discredit viewpoints like mine. I'm saying that they are almost certainly lying about what exactly happened because if they were telling the truth there would actually be some kind of proof. The utter lack of proof and their complete avoidance of giving any indicates obfuscation. Period.
There is plenty of proof he was captured on that night yet you question it as well. You're plain crazy and just looking for lies. I'll just leave it at that.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #59
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130Herkload View Post
There is not nor has there been a 15 year retirement option available in the military.

Im currently this week going through my transition briefing and its been a lot of information to take in, but its all very clearly presented. There is a slew of websites the VA runs that deal solely with all aspects of the switch to civilian life. This poor guy was probably burned out, true. But there are other options in his community in a support role that would have carried him over the 20year point.

He wasnt screwed as the article states. Being in for 16 years, he would have known what it took to get to a point where benefits would kick in, however meager they currently are. Its not an easy process leaving the military, regardless of what your role was...no way this guy was that naive. He did a truly heroic thing, but that type of mission was what he volunteered for. Sad, but to be singled out...no. Lots of folks leave after less than 20, happens every day.

As I said, Im enduring the retirement process now after 21 years and its scary, especially in this economic climate-I get to be unemployed in 6 mos. I feel for the guy-I really do, but given his skillset-he'll land on his feet. Probably soon too.
sorry, not true. they offered it for several years. i have several friends who retired at 15. and not on medicals either. but, clearly not in effect now.
regardless, leaving at 16 is generally just not smart.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #60
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
sorry, not true. they offered it for several years. i have several friends who retired at 15. and not on medicals either. but, clearly not in effect now.
regardless, leaving at 16 is generally just not smart.
I know there were a few drawdown periods where they tried to get people out early (after the gulf war and again in the late 90s, I believe) but I think that was always a thing where they just bought out their retirement. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being allowed to retire before 20 years.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #61
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
I know there were a few drawdown periods where they tried to get people out early (after the gulf war and again in the late 90s, I believe) but I think that was always a thing where they just bought out their retirement. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being allowed to retire before 20 years.
well, i personally know two: one army major and one usaf major. both retired, with full (for 15 years) retirement benefits (not bought out). if my memory serves, it was about '97 when they left. anyhow, still tangential to the OP.

99.9% of the time leaving at 16 is not smart, financially.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote