The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,792

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default The man who killed Osama Bin Laden...Is Screwed

A long read but a damn good read. It's pretty disgusting how bad we treat our heroes. They should never HAVE to work again once they're done being badass mother****ing heroes for all of us. I don't think this should be a partisan political issue where the red team and the blue team argue over whose fault it is...but rather the shame of a nation, and what should be done about this. Hopefully this story gets enough run so that a movement starts and the lawmakers in Washington might make things right with our greatest heroes.

http://www.esquire.com/features/man-...bin-laden-0313
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
ant1999e
Ring of Famer
 
ant1999e's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BFE
Posts: 6,369

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball
Default

I don't get it. Did he do 20 years? If not, what did he expect? It's bad ass that he killed Osama but that's the military.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Willynowei
Some dude
 
Willynowei's Avatar
 
Football is a wonderful thing.

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 3,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

These guys are some of the most motivated and disciplined individuals in the world, to the point of being almost machine like. They are forced into leadership positions that give them more powerful experience than mid-level executives in the worlds biggest companies, with more on the line, in quite literally the most stressful environment that anyone could be placed in.

If they spent 15+ years in the SEALs and actually had a good enough performance record to be the one chosen to take out Osama, then they represent a fraction of a percent of the individuals in this world in terms of performance and aptitude under stress.

It really sucks they can't put that on a resume. There's plenty of stories involving SEALs and other special forces guys going to Harvard Business School and coming out as successful executives. Harvard would love to have them, but you have to first take the tests, the interviews, and arrange for the loans/money to pay for such education. And if you have a family, school may not be an option at all.

I read the whole article, its pretty gut wrenching, takes all the glory out of being a hero when you realize they get the short end of the stick.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
I don't get it. Did he do 20 years? If not, what did he expect? It's bad ass that he killed Osama but that's the military.
He didn't and refused to do a stint in the reserves to make that up. He did it to himself.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
jhat01
Ring of Famer
 
jhat01's Avatar
 
Knuckle Dragging Homer

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West River
Posts: 1,865

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
He didn't and refused to do a stint in the reserves to make that up. He did it to himself.
It may be time to have a conversation regarding these guys and retirement. These dudes volunteer yes, so they know what's up, but they burn out much faster than the guy that sings in the choir for 20 years. Maybe a 15 year retirement might be more appropriate, I don't know.
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
Dukes
Ring of Famer
 
Dukes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat01 View Post
It may be time to have a conversation regarding these guys and retirement. These dudes volunteer yes, so they know what's up, but they burn out much faster than the guy that sings in the choir for 20 years. Maybe a 15 year retirement might be more appropriate, I don't know.
Interesting thought. SF guys go through a hell of a lot more stress than your average soldier, sailor or Marine.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,980
Default

http://gawker.com/5983541/despite-es...to-health-care

In the wake of the Esquire article's publication, which prompted a wave of media coverage (including here on Gawker), Stars and Stripes reporter Megan McCloskey did some digging and discovered that one of the main cruxes of the piece—that the the SEAL shooter receives no health coverage from the government—is inaccurate. Like other Iraq and Afghanistan veterans, asserts McCloskey, the SEAL is eligible for five years of free medical care upon retirement, a fact Esquire writer Phil Bronstein left out of his piece.

The writer, Phil Bronstein, who heads up the Center for Investigative Reporting, stands by the story. He said the assertion that the government gave the SEAL "nothing" in terms of health care is both fair and accurate, because the SEAL didn't know the VA benefits existed.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Very one sided, I feel for the guy but you make choices in life. My brother works for a private security company and makes 4 times what I do as an engineer and he's doing the same thing he did as a scout sniper/force recon Marine. There is always an option.

And yes, I am a veteran myself.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,803

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Let's not forget the heroes that did the waterboarding to find out where Osama was hiding, like it or not that really works.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
ant1999e
Ring of Famer
 
ant1999e's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BFE
Posts: 6,369

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball
Default

Let's cut more money from defense. Shyt there's talk of going away from the pension and just doing a 401k for the military.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

America has been screwing over its vets since the Congress refused to pay off Revolutionary War veterans. It's why Washington, DC is a federal district, because Congress wasn't sure a state militia would protect them against protesting soldiers. Hell, read about the Bonus March of WW1 veterans in 1932. America has always **** on its vets while at the same time politicians give speeches about how wonderful the vets are and how it's all apple pie and flags flying. It's an American tradition; After the bullets are done flying, the vets get kicked to the curb. After the Vietnam War, you would have thought it was the vets who were responsible for it, instead of the lying politicians.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,348

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Let's not forget the heroes that did the waterboarding to find out where Osama was hiding, like it or not that really works.
WRONG!
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,596

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Single payer healthcare system for all.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Very one sided, I feel for the guy but you make choices in life. My brother works for a private security company and makes 4 times what I do as an engineer and he's doing the same thing he did as a scout sniper/force recon Marine. There is always an option.

And yes, I am a veteran myself.
What kind of security do they do? Like Blackwater or guarding armoured trucks in the US?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What kind of security do they do? Like Blackwater or guarding armoured trucks in the US?
Blackwater is actually the exact company, I forget what they are named now but they changed names. He is at an embassy in Iraq.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
A long read but a damn good read. It's pretty disgusting how bad we treat our heroes. They should never HAVE to work again once they're done being badass mother****ing heroes for all of us. I don't think this should be a partisan political issue where the red team and the blue team argue over whose fault it is...but rather the shame of a nation, and what should be done about this. Hopefully this story gets enough run so that a movement starts and the lawmakers in Washington might make things right with our greatest heroes.

http://www.esquire.com/features/man-...bin-laden-0313
It shouldn't be a partisan political issue but it is. The Republicans always want to send them to war and cut their benefits when they get home.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

All you people who actually believe the whole Bin Laden story kill me. "Hey we just killed the most infamous terrorist of all time. Let's load him onto a boat and dump him into the ocean according to Muslim tradition."

Seriously guys, after the long and extensive history our government has of lying to us why are you so quick to believe them? Bin Laden was probably in a CIA prison for years and either died of natural causes or was killed when he was no longer useful. Hell maybe he got vaporized by a bomb years ago. All the speculation aside, their haste to dispose of the body before anyone could actually look at it should arouse the suspicions of every rational individual on the planet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
http://gawker.com/5983541/despite-es...to-health-care

In the wake of the Esquire article's publication, which prompted a wave of media coverage (including here on Gawker), Stars and Stripes reporter Megan McCloskey did some digging and discovered that one of the main cruxes of the piece—that the the SEAL shooter receives no health coverage from the government—is inaccurate. Like other Iraq and Afghanistan veterans, asserts McCloskey, the SEAL is eligible for five years of free medical care upon retirement, a fact Esquire writer Phil Bronstein left out of his piece.

The writer, Phil Bronstein, who heads up the Center for Investigative Reporting, stands by the story. He said the assertion that the government gave the SEAL "nothing" in terms of health care is both fair and accurate, because the SEAL didn't know the VA benefits existed.
How this article got written with such poor research is amazing. There's this thing called outprocessing where, if you pay attention, you learn about the benefits you can access. Either this guy missed it or he wasn't told. Either way, a far cry from the point the article/author was trying to make. Shoddy.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Blackwater changed it's name twice. It was Xe Services and now it's Academi.

Why? Because they partake in criminal activity and tried to save face.

But do they get in trouble? No. Just fines. How typical.

(And I'm not trying to be offensive to your bro Rabb.)
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Let's not forget the heroes that did the waterboarding to find out where Osama was hiding, like it or not that really works.
biggest lie ever.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,792

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
I don't get it. Did he do 20 years? If not, what did he expect? It's bad ass that he killed Osama but that's the military.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
He didn't and refused to do a stint in the reserves to make that up. He did it to himself.
The guy was burnt out. What, would you prefer having a burnt out SEAL continue to go on the most dangerous missions so he could get his retirement benefits?

I don't know, I am so in awe of SF that when hearing about 1 or more of them getting screwed by the government it just makes my blood boil. And this travesty needs to be dealt with. And if the government won't do anything about it, a few private charities need to get going to help these heroes out.

Like me, I'm a vet, did 4 years and out, didn't see any combat, I'd have gone if sent but I'm glad I didn't see any. If someone were to ever come up to me and say I'm a hero, I'd tell em to **** off. Cuz I'm not anywhere close to this guy. I might make it 3 or 4 days of SF training before quitting or washing out. This guy and his team members are better people than me. And better people than 99% of the world. This guy and his team members have done more for this country than 99% of the rest of us combined. And to think that he got the same kind of benefits that I got when I got out? Its total bull****. What in the hell can he put on a resume?
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
All you people who actually believe the whole Bin Laden story kill me. "Hey we just killed the most infamous terrorist of all time. Let's load him onto a boat and dump him into the ocean according to Muslim tradition."

Seriously guys, after the long and extensive history our government has of lying to us why are you so quick to believe them? Bin Laden was probably in a CIA prison for years and either died of natural causes or was killed when he was no longer useful. Hell maybe he got vaporized by a bomb years ago. All the speculation aside, their haste to dispose of the body before anyone could actually look at it should arouse the suspicions of every rational individual on the planet.
that is why they crashed a helicopter at a Pakistani compound and killed one of Bin Laden's wives. You are an idiot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Single payer healthcare system for all.
That would require that a whole bunch of people pull their heads out of their asses and start looking at reality. Ain't gonna happen. Not to mention, you have giant industries like insurance, Big Pharma and healthcare buying up enough politicians and media message to make sure it never happens.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

I recall seeing reports that many of the very SEALS who carried out the bin-Laden raid were killed in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan about six weeks later.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
that is why they crashed a helicopter at a Pakistani compound and killed one of Bin Laden's wives. You are an idiot.
Cool story. Now tell me why no one ever got to examine Bin Laden's body. Tell me why they dumped it in the ocean claiming it was for the sake of Muslim tradition when it was in fact completely contrary to Muslim tradition. Answer those questions for this idiot.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Denver Broncos