The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default The Walking Dead thread.

AMC resumes the Walking dead tonight. Curious if any of you watch this show. Once it showed up on Netflix we got hooked.

What is your survival plan in a zombie apocalypse?

Denver is a pretty good spot to defend one. There's plenty of military, it has cold and warm seasons which would destroy the undead fairly effectively, and there are mountain towns to flee too.

All Mormons are encouraged to keep a two year supply of food and water and we have 72 hour emergency evac kits we maintain.

The average human body exposed to the elements rots away in a matter of weeks. They would degenerate even faster if they were moving around because it would cause the dead tissue to tear and break away. You could probably hide for a week or so then most of the undead would be, at worst, missing limbs and eyes, and at best, pieces of flesh.

Last edited by Kaylore; 02-19-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

That's why I couldn't follow that show; The characters do stuff that makes no sense. If the zombie apocalypse happens, first thing I do is go to the local national guard armory with my friends and family, pick up a few M113 armored personnel carriers with extra diesel cans and assorted spare parts. Mount .50 cals on each one, and load up on various other weapons and lots of ammo. Also grab a few deuce and a halfs to stock with food, water, diesel motor/generator units, entertainment stuff, agricultural supplies, livestock (chickens, pigs, etc.), a few German Shepards always come in handy too. Then, I lead a convoy to the Long Beach docks, drive my rolling stock up onto the Catalina Island ferry (maybe it takes a couple of trips?) and sail on over to Avalon Bay. Unload. Clear the island of any zombies that might be there, from one end to the other. Take up residence in the Wrigley Mansion up on Mount Ada and live happily ever after enjoying the view.

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

They actually address that. They are heading to fort Benning and it has already been overrun.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Awesome show. My Favorite appointment viewing since 2nd seasons of Entourage and Nip/tuck. Happy WD got past season 2 and hasn't lost luster, i think its gotten better from season 2.

Not sure about your logic though. Much is left unknown about zombie "life". It appears from Walking Dead they may seek shelter and obviously find nourishment in eating people and other animals. Documentaries such as Zombieland do give some basic ideas or rules to staying alive. I think Cardio would be important for sure. Especially if you are to encounter the Zombie species from 28 days later. Double tapping proves useful in both Zombieland as well as Shaun of the Dead. Since there is no proof given that Zombies can swim or fly my plan is to find a nice boat and/or island to call home and wait for the Avengers or Batman to clean up the Zombie threat.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
That's why I couldn't follow that show; The characters do stuff that makes no sense. If the zombie apocalypse happens, first thing I do is go to the local national guard armory with my friends and family, pick up a few M113 armored personnel carriers with extra diesel cans and assorted spare parts. Mount .50 cals on each one, and load up on various other weapons and lots of ammo. Also grab a few deuce and a halfs to stock with food, water, diesel motor/generator units, entertainment stuff, agricultural supplies, livestock (chickens, pigs, etc.), a few German Shepards always come in handy too. Then, I lead a convoy to the Long Beach docks, drive my rolling stock up onto the Catalina Island ferry (maybe it takes a couple of trips?) and sail on over to Avalon Bay. Unload. Clear the island of any zombies that might be there, from one end to the other. Take up residence in the Wrigley Mansion up on Mount Ada and live happily ever after enjoying the view.

See you and everyone else would have that exact same idea and that's how you die. Just like trying to leave the city using the interstate out of the city instead of driving on the wrong side of the road where no one is trying to get into.

Yes Kaylore the show is awesome. It deals with things that movies don't have to do, the long term problems.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm basing my logic off biology. First, Zombies don't drink. Just standing outside, doing nothing at all, you lose water. Your basic motor skills require hydrated muscles to move. Zombies exposed would shrivel up and become immobile in very short order. Second is parasites. I assume that Zombies have no immune system since they are literally rotting as they go. Microbes on your body right now, and in the air, would begin to break down the zombies bodies. The connective tissues would weaken, and with no healing mechanism, the zombies moving would exacerbate the wear and tear.

Let's assume they can eat and somehow it heals them to some degree. What happens while they are standing around once all the people are dead or zombies? They don't eat each other. Being without a food source they would die, eventually.

When you consider things like they have no warming or cooling method, extreme heat and cold would speed up decomposition or freeze them solid respectively. Both would break down cell walls and further damage tissue. The tissue is unusable in a matter of weeks, and that's to say nothing of insects and the damage they do on rotting flesh.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Agamemnon

Quote:

Because no one else is going to think of grabbing military equipment during a zombie apocalypse, and no one else is going to head out to islands at the first opportunity. Your ideas are totally unique and would be easy to implement. /sarcasm
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
They actually address that. They are heading to fort Benning and it has already been overrun.
Yeah, but that's like a year later. I'm talking about the second it happens I head for the armory, load up, and get moving. When I watched the first episode, that's what I was telling my wife, why don't they go to the local armory? If the highways are clogged you head off across country. Tracked vehicles would have no problem.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Agamemnon

Quote:
I'm basing my logic off biology. First, Zombies don't drink. Just standing outside, doing nothing at all, you lose water. Your basic motor skills require hydrated muscles to move. Zombies exposed would shrivel up and become immobile in very short order. Second is parasites. I assume that Zombies have no immune system since they are literally rotting as they go. Microbes on your body right now, and in the air, would begin to break down the zombies bodies. The connective tissues would weaken, and with no healing mechanism, the zombies moving would exacerbate the wear and tear.

Let's assume they can eat and somehow it heals them to some degree. What happens while they are standing around once all the people are dead or zombies? They don't eat each other. Being without a food source they would die, eventually.

When you consider things like they have no warming or cooling method, extreme heat and cold would speed up decomposition or freeze them solid respectively. Both would break down cell walls and further damage tissue. The tissue is unusable in a matter of weeks, and that's to say nothing of insects and the damage they do on rotting flesh.
Zombies are magical. Even in zombie movies where they try to come up with some scientific explanation they are still completely magical. That's why I will always prefer supernatural zombies over sci-fi zombies. Sci-fi zombies are just stupid.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Because no one else is going to think of grabbing military equipment during a zombie apocalypse, and no one else is going to head out to islands at the first opportunity. Your ideas are totally unique and would be easy to implement. /sarcasm
The overwhelming majority of people would have no idea how to use or operate the equipment. For example, APCs use laterals, not a steering wheel. Unless you knew how to drive it, you'd leave it in place.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Zombies are magical. Even in zombie movies where they try to come up with some scientific explanation they are still completely magical. That's why I will always prefer supernatural zombies over sci-fi zombies. Sci-fi zombies are just stupid.
Of course, if they were the zombies from I, Legend, we're ****ed.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

I would honestly rather go to Montana/Canada then some island. To get to the island you are going to have to go through a lot of zombies a long the way. In Montana there is so many places you could go with very little people and harsh weather. I agree that something like a zombie plague would be short lived so getting to the right place to wait it out would be key.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Yeah, but that's like a year later. I'm talking about the second it happens I head for the armory, load up, and get moving. When I watched the first episode, that's what I was telling my wife, why don't they go to the local armory? If the highways are clogged you head off across country. Tracked vehicles would have no problem.
They addressed that. They were told to go to Atlanta. As they were heading there the military was fire-bombing the city. They fled and met some survivors and hid at the quarry. And Rick was in coma.

There is the issue of "getting there" and as others have pointed out, you would being doing what everyone else thought was "the obvious" choice and problems would arise.

Last edited by Kaylore; 02-10-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Strictly speaking from a logical standpoint, I agree. Magical zombies are the only kind that make sense long term. Still, Walking Dead is a great show.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Strictly speaking from a logical standpoint, I agree. Magical zombies are the only kind that make sense long term. Still, Walking Dead is a great show.
Too violent for my tastes.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Agamemnon

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of people would have no idea how to use or operate the equipment. For example, APCs use laterals, not a steering wheel. Unless you knew how to drive it, you'd leave it in place.
The people who have actual military experience and the soldiers who are actually stationed there would have a pretty good idea I'm guessing. I mean it's not represented very well in most movies or shows, but people with military experience who own guns are going to be among the most likely to survive the initial bloodbath, and many of them are going to have similar ideas as you. I live in Colorado Springs and I know that there'd be a ****-ton of soldiers trying to grab all kinds of stuff from Fort Carson if a zombie apocalypse happened. The thought that I could just head over there and grab weapons and supplies, much less a Bradley or the like, seems kind of laughable in the face of that.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Woohoo...the first half of this season was fantastic. Can't wait for tonight.

I've started my zombie prep by purchasing a savage 22, smith and wesson m&p .40, and a ruger SR556 (ar15). Now I buy ammo every week like it's groceries.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Basically the only TV show I have watched in full since Jericho.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
Agamemnon

Quote:
Walking Dead zombies seem pretty magical to me. Remember the sequence where the CDC scientist shows a real-time brain scan of his wife/girlfriend as she died and became a zombie? It certainly didn't look like something traditional science could explain.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
Agamemnon

Quote:
Of course, if they were the zombies from I, Legend, we're ****ed.
Weren't those vampires?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Weren't those vampires?
Nope. Those were zombies.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
The people who have actual military experience and the soldiers who are actually stationed there would have a pretty good idea I'm guessing. I mean it's not represented very well in most movies or shows, but people with military experience who own guns are going to be among the most likely to survive the initial bloodbath, and many of them are going to have similar ideas as you. I live in Colorado Springs and I know that there'd be a ****-ton of soldiers trying to grab all kinds of stuff from Fort Carson if a zombie apocalypse happened. The thought that I could just head over there and grab weapons and supplies, much less a Bradley or the like, seems kind of laughable in the face of that.
I'm assuming there wouldn't be many survivors to compete with, like in the show. The other strategy would be to choose a large, fertile tract of land, get a bulldozer, and build a fenced moat all the way around the property. Then, you'd just have to do weekly patrols and clean out the wire, so to speak.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #23
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

I think it would all depend how the Zombie virus spreads. If its a just a bite or only dead people coming back, I think it would be a piece of cake to stop it from spreading much. Now if it was a airborne virus that affected at least 25% of population quickly, plus bitting and dead coming back then I could see the scenario of the Walking dead show happening .I love the show but if Daryl dies Im not sure I would like it that much since I dont like any of the other characters.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Love the show, I wish I could have started watching it on Netflix, but I watched it live every week since day one. waiting a whole week between episodes sucked, and then the looooooooooong breaks they take between seasons is no bueno. Thank god I have Breaking Bad to go back to because I just started watching that on Netflix and an only on season 3

EDIT: Talking dead is a fun show to watch, its going to be on directly after TWD now for a whole hour!
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
I think it would all depend how the Zombie virus spreads. If its a just a bite or only dead people coming back, I think it would be a piece of cake to stop it from spreading much. Now if it was a airborne virus that affected at least 25% of population quickly, plus bitting and dead coming back then I could see the scenario of the Walking dead show happening .I love the show but if Daryl dies Im not sure I would like it that much since I dont like any of the other characters.
Yep. Half the time, I'm rooting for the zombies.