The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #176
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Cosmo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Greeley Colorado!!!
Posts: 968
Default

Not all states pay tipped employees lower than minimum wage fyi. Some do get paid a regular federal minimum wage or higher and then still get tips. Perhaps the 18% is a good idea if you live somewhere that only pays them a 2-3 dollar minimum wage. Then again, why is it our job to pay these employees correctly?
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #177
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
You think the IRS changes the rate every 6 years by as much as double or half?! !

My point is whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about, and probably say that **** cause they heard it from some other idiot who didn't know what they were talking about.
Well one would hope their employer would know the rate.

Are you this defensive because you typically tip below 15%? Or are you this much of a joy to speak with always?
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #178
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
That reminds me of one more thing, sport bars. If you are there for 3 hours and spent $20, you should be tipping $5-$10 for taking up a table while you nurse 3 beers. I always consider taking up a servers time that is not a normal 45-60 minutes for a dinner.
I consider that too.....I never tie up a 4 topper as it it is only myself, so I generally sit at a 2 topper....but it pisses me off when they ignore me.

I am more generous in sports bars because I'm there for approximately 3.5 hours.....but once again they almost always pay more attention to the bigger tables with several people getting hammered.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #179
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Can I ask a question that's going to sound rude but I genuinely mean it in a friendly way?

How do you have money when you can't type a coherent sentence? Are you an oil man? Are you going to drink up my milkshake?
I should probably get training on Google auto correct. Screen is so small I rarely proofread. I won the mega millions. Grammar shows nothing about someone's finances as I know a lot of educated bums that went to college for 10+ years that can barely make a living. I know more guys who started their own companies with no college education that have done very well financially in life.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 02-09-2013 at 01:49 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #180
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Not all states pay tipped employees lower than minimum wage fyi. Some do get paid a regular federal minimum wage or higher and then still get tips. Perhaps the 18% is a good idea if you live somewhere that only pays them a 2-3 dollar minimum wage. Then again, why is it our job to pay these employees correctly?
It really isn't our job. But it comes down to whether you think server's salary is up to the customer or employer
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #181
Willynowei
Some dude
 
Willynowei's Avatar
 
Football is a wonderful thing.

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 3,021

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
Well one would hope their employer would know the rate.

Are you this defensive because you typically tip below 15%? Or are you this much of a joy to speak with always?
Employers themselves are tax evasion specialists in an industry filled with small business currently being taxed to death by our lovely ideological president.

As for my tipping habits i wrote it somewhere, and i'm too lazy to write it again.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #182
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
You probably know that when you order a meal in restaurant, the person who brings you the food is generally paid less than minimum wage. Tips are supposed to make up the difference.
Here's the problem: Minimum wage for tipped employees is an appalling $2.13 an hour. And for millions of people who work in the restaurant industry, tips don't come close to providing a living wage.
This is not a small problem. Almost one-third of food workers don't have enough money to buy enough safe and nutritious food to meet their needs. The people who make and serve your food literally may be going hungry.
meanwhile the guy who loaded 12-15 bags of 50lb. cement into your truck is making maybe $8-9 per hour and i'll bet you never consider tipping him.

Most food workers get free or discounted meals at work.....and if it was as bad as you claim, they would or should seek employment elsewhere.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #183
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
Employers themselves are tax evasion specialists in an industry filled with small business currently being taxed to death by our lovely ideological president.

As for my tipping habits i wrote it somewhere, and i'm too lazy to write it again.
How quaint.

Are you sure what you posted wasn't that the employer is taxed assuming a 8% tip for their employees? That's how I read it
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #184
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
You have to at least claim every credit card tip you receive since they are in the restaurant's system
Sure...but that also means you're rarely counting your cash tips as well if at all, correct?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #185
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Sure...but that also means you're rarely counting your cash tips as well if at all, correct?
If you choose not to, sure. But I would say at least 75% of my tips came on credit cards
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #186
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
It really isn't our job. But it comes down to whether you think server's salary is up to the customer or employer
I would argue it's up to the server......once again, those that do their job and take care of their customers make more than those that do not....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #187
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Pete Carroll is a douche

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,523

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I won the mega millions.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #188
TD4HOF
Rehabbed Lurker
 
TD4HOF's Avatar
 
He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ATX
Posts: 899

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Special Teams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
How are those people with degrees in the "green jobs" initiative going to pay their rent?
Ugh very shortsighted and narrow minded comment.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #189
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
If you choose not to, sure. But I would say at least 75% of my tips came on credit cards
So we agree that most (if not all) servers and wait staff do not claim their entire income on their taxes, yes?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #190
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,160

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
meanwhile the guy who loaded 12-15 bags of 50lb. cement into your truck is making maybe $8-9 per hour and i'll bet you never consider tipping him.

Most food workers get free or discounted meals at work.....and if it was as bad as you claim, they would or should seek employment elsewhere.
I'd offer him a beer, and comparing $4,300 in annual salary, to $18,000 doesn't seem like apples to apples in my eyes.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #191
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
I would argue it's up to the server......once again, those that do their job and take care of their customers make more than those that do not....
It's a fair point, but I would say that logic would need to be applied to quite a few others' jobs as well then
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #192
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Pete Carroll is a douche

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,523

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
It's a fair point, but I would say that logic would need to be applied to quite a few others' jobs as well then
Isn't it? Does anyone go to someone for anything if they aren't getting something they want? If good service is valued, people go there. If they value paying as little as possible, they go somewhere cheap. When there is fair competition, the market sorts these things out.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #193
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
Your entire sales are totaled at the end of the night and you are taxed assuming you made 15% tip off that total. If you tip a waiter below the percentage that they are taxed, you are literally taking money away from them (because the federal government taxes them for a 15% tip anyway). If they are taxed at an assumed 15% tip, and you tip them below that, they've paid for part of your meal.

So if you think tipping below the assumed tax rate is acceptable for average service, you're a dick. I only tip below that if the service was embarrassingly bad.


Additionally, tipping for the time you take up (such as coffee) has already been covered earlier in this thread:
Now that you've been b****slapped as not knowing what you're talking about, I'll let that go. Back to my previous question, though:

How much do you think a waitress should make in an hour? How much does that kind of work deserve?
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #194
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Isn't it? Does anyone go to someone for anything if they aren't getting something they want? If good service is valued, people go there. If they value paying as little as possible, they go somewhere cheap. When there is fair competition, the market sorts these things out.
Sorry Chris, I don't fully follow your post. Are you saying servers should have a set hourly wage and their good service means more customers which means their job stays necessary? Or their tip is actually the business staying open?
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #195
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,160

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post


The actual number is 8%. I love how ****ing stupid people are.
http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8027/ch01.html

Straight from the IRS website.
I love when people call other people stupid and then make a completely inaccurate statement.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #196
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
You probably know that when you order a meal in restaurant, the person who brings you the food is generally paid less than minimum wage. Tips are supposed to make up the difference.
Here's the problem: Minimum wage for tipped employees is an appalling $2.13 an hour. And for millions of people who work in the restaurant industry, tips don't come close to providing a living wage.
This is not a small problem. Almost one-third of food workers don't have enough money to buy enough safe and nutritious food to meet their needs. The people who make and serve your food literally may be going hungry.
I hate when people make these types of arguments. "They don't get minimum wage, they need you to make up the difference" followed by "18%, 20%,... "

If I'm making up the difference between $2 an hour and $7 an hour, they sure as **** don't need 18%. They could get minimum wage if we paid well under 10% each. If you asked waitresses if they'd rather be paid minimum wage or tips and $2 an hour, they'd take the tips every day of the week. They continue this habit because it's most beneficial for the restaurants AND the waitresses. I wouldn't be surprised if they want the minimum wage thing to stay in place just for the compassion, as well.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #197
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I love when people call other people stupid and then make a completely inaccurate statement.
But the guy who he called on it backtracked like a mofo so clearly had no factual basis upon what he was claiming (the 15%). It instantly became "well, I heard..."
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #198
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,160

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
How much do you think a waitress should make in an hour? How much does that kind of work deserve?
Dealing with cheapskate Asshats and smiling through it all deserves more compensation than a lot of work that is far more handsomely rewarded.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #199
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Dealing with cheapskate Asshats and smiling through it all deserves more compensation than a lot of work that is far more handsomely rewarded.
I disagree. Don't be a coward, produce a number.

Then we can subtract the minimum wage and figure out what they need to make per table per hour to be fair. Let's try this. See how it works.

What do you think they deserve? (and I didn't ask you in the first place but since you ventured in, feel free to join completely)
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #200
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,160

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
But the guy who he called on it backtracked like a mofo so clearly had no factual basis upon what he was claiming (the 15%). It instantly became "well, I heard..."
That doesn't change the fact the he was completely wrong himself; and more than a little hypocritical.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Denver Broncos