The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Sounds like I won't be reading these.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #27
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Sounds like I won't be reading these.
The Wheel of Time series is often heralded as the only fantasy series that holds a candle to (or exceeds) Tolkien. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
Agamemnon

Read the first book but couldn't finish the second. I found his writing style rather painful to read honestly. Game of Thrones is infinitely better in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #29
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
The Wheel of Time series is often heralded as the only fantasy series that holds a candle to (or exceeds) Tolkien. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
This... it's practically the quintessential series that defines the genre. Kinda amazed at all the negativity up in this b****. I understand it's so ****ing long that it's intimidating but... this is a little excessive.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #30
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm actually just about to start this one. I'm in the middle of Elantris by Brandon Sanders right now.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #31
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm actually just about to start this one. I'm in the middle of Elantris by Brandon Sanders right now.
Really good read
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #32
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
It is nowhere near Tolkien and Martin is much better. I couldn't put any of his books down, save maybe the fourth which was tough.
McDman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
This... it's practically the quintessential series that defines the genre. Kinda amazed at all the negativity up in this b****. I understand it's so ****ing long that it's intimidating but... this is a little excessive.
Haha, but it is legit criticism. I don't see how anyone could like any of the characters. They're all terrible past the third book. The length is ridiculous too. Even making it 8 books would have been much better.

Also, you said you have read them since the beginning. I think a lot of your love may be from a nostalgic point of view. If someone my age, 27, starts them it is going to be nowhere near as enjoyable as they would be if a 13 year old starts them.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #34
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I came across this review awhile back and thought you guys would enjoy it. If you have read this series, no matter whether you liked or dislike it, you need to read this. It's pretty hilarious and even if you like it much of it rings true.

Rev, you definitely won't agree with it but parts had me laughing out loud.

http://forum.malazanempire.com/index...pic=21832&st=0
Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #35
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
It is nowhere near Tolkien and Martin is much better. I couldn't put any of his books down, save maybe the fourth which was tough.
Martin is a better writer but I have issues with him too. First, is he kills off too many characters - good characters. I applaud that he is willing to break some eggs. Many writers don't. And I know he wants to create "real fear" for the reader, but by Storm of Swords I was starting to not want to emotionally invest in any character because I figured sooner or later they were going to get killed. And there are so many who are so good it seems like a waste!

He also takes a bit too long to set things up. I'm not crazy about the way his books constantly switch between characters. I realize he has to to get his stage set, especially given the scope of what he does, and he does it pretty well, but it's not a style I'm a fan of. I hate getting into a character, reading a great scene and then you have to "work through" three chapters of characters who are doing something less interesting or who you don't care as much for as the one in a critical situation.

That said, I can empathize with every single character he creates. That alone is amazing. I like his heroes, I like his villains, I like his sub characters. Even some bastard making a helmet is believable. That is what drives good stories for me; Good characters you want to read about. I suppose since he can make so many he has no qualms about discarding them willy-nilly. lol.

Last edited by Kaylore; 02-09-2013 at 07:42 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #36
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I came across this review awhile back and thought you guys would enjoy it. If you have read this series, no matter whether you liked or dislike it, you need to read this. It's pretty hilarious and even if you like it much of it rings true.

This is hilarious.

Quote:
You couldn't be more insulting of someone's talent if you hired a ninja to mow your lawn or Elton John to **** your wife.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #37
Agamemnon

Quote:
I've read so much fantasy that is vastly superior that the idea that it "defines the genre" just causes me to laugh. I mean if you like it cool, but it doesn't define anything other than the quintessential overly long fantasy series.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #38
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Haha, that was fun to read. This was my favorite part because it rang the truest to me: "LOOK GANG, A SPUNKY NEW SEAFOLK CHANNELER that you don't give a **** about."
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #39
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

LALALALALALALALa.................... will be back here when I finish my current book and then Memory of Light
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #40
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

If you all like Brandon Sanderson's work, I highly recommend picking up his Mistborn series. Great books.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #41
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm going to start calling my junk a steddingpenis.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #42
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Martin is a better writer but I have issues with him too. First, is he kills off too many characters - good characters. I applaud that he is willing to break some eggs. Many writers don't. And I know he wants to create "real fear" for the reader, but by Storm of Swords I was starting to not want to emotionally invest in any character because I figured sooner or later they were going to get killed. And there are so many who are so good it seems like a waste!

He also takes a bit too long to set things up. I'm not crazy about the way his books constantly switch between characters. I realize he has to to get his stage set, especially given the scope of what he does, and he does it pretty well, but it's not a style I'm a fan of. I hate getting into a character, reading a great scene and then you have to "work through" three chapters of characters who are doing something less interesting or who you don't care as much for as the one in a critical situation.

That said, I can empathize with every single character he creates. That alone is amazing. I like his heroes, I like his villains, I like his sub characters. Even some bastard making a helmet is believable. That is what drives good stories for me; Good characters you want to read about. I suppose since he can make so many he has no qualms about discarding them willy-nilly. lol.
Agree with almost all of this. Martin is the opposite at Jordan to me. There are quite a few characters in his books I love to read about.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #43
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Agree with almost all of this. Martin is the opposite at Jordan to me. There are quite a few characters in his books I love to read about.
Thanks to Martin's glacial pace of writing, they unfortunately could both be authors who die before they can finish their work. I can't imagine who they would tap to finish Game of Thrones.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #44
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Thanks to Martin's glacial pace of writing, they unfortunately could both be authors who die before they can finish their work. I can't imagine who they would tap to finish Game of Thrones.
The HBO people. I believe that contingency plan has been already been arranged for and he's given them key plot lines etc.

Martin was a big WoT fan (though judging from this thread the series is apparently ****?) and has several references to that series (as well as LoTR).

Marillion, Sam Tarly and Jon:Samwise and Frodo, etc

As far as the WoT references go, this one is my favorite:

House Jordayne, led by Trebor (Robert backwards) that rule over Tor (the publisher of WoT) and the house motto is "Let it be written" haha.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #45
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Wheel of Time was solid for me. I think Song of Ice and Fire, Symphony of Ages, and Sword of Truth annihilate it. Still, I really enjoyed it, and it was quite epic.

I thought Sanderson finished relatively strong. His Egwene was better than Jordan's, but his Mat was just off. Mat was my favorite character in the series, and I just never felt like Sanderson had a true grasp of his wit. I agree the Padan Fain part was ridiculously bad at the end, as well as the entire Slayer/Luc/Perrin/Gaul storyline. I thought Rand finished strong at least, and the ending seemed right to me. I also never understood the entire Moraine/Thom angle. That seemed pulled straight out of someone's ass.

Still, the series was well worth the read, but there are better out there.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #46
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
The HBO people. I believe that contingency plan has been already been arranged for and he's given them key plot lines etc.

Martin was a big WoT fan (though judging from this thread the series is apparently ****?) and has several references to that series (as well as LoTR).

Marillion, Sam Tarly and Jon:Samwise and Frodo, etc

As far as the WoT references go, this one is my favorite:

House Jordayne, led by Trebor (Robert backwards) that rule over Tor (the publisher of WoT) and the house motto is "Let it be written" haha.
That's actually pretty awesome.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #47
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

I thought AMoL was great. Any time you get a series that is 15,000 pages and 20 years long an ending is going to be tough to pull off. I agree with the above points on Padin Fain. Disagree with the Hon Solo Matt. He was a little more over the top but that played well into his generalship of the last battle. The amount of action that was jammed into this book was epic. It is like they tried to make up for the snooze fest in books7-10. All things considered I enjoyed the series. Maybe I will read it again in another 50 years or so.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #48
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
I thought AMoL was great. Any time you get a series that is 15,000 pages and 20 years long an ending is going to be tough to pull off. I agree with the above points on Padin Fain. Disagree with the Hon Solo Matt. He was a little more over the top but that played well into his generalship of the last battle. The amount of action that was jammed into this book was epic. It is like they tried to make up for the snooze fest in books7-10. All things considered I enjoyed the series. Maybe I will read it again in another 50 years or so.
Yeah that's how I felt too
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #49
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm having a hard time getting through Elantris. I can't say I'm a fan of Sanderson. His characters are too shallow and templated for my liking. It's hard to go from the texture and depth of the 200+ characters in the Game of Thrones to the Padme Amidala clone, and buddy sidekicks in Elantris. But I trudge on...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #50
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Vood book finnished about a month ago. bout time
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote