The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Default worst rule change ever

Quote:
At the NFL annual meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, a 45-second clock was also approved to replace the 30-second clock. For a normal sequence of plays, the interval between plays was changed to 45 seconds from the time the ball is signaled dead until it is snapped on the succeeding play.
Since then its been changed to 40 seconds.
WHY? it turned the end of the game to the crappy kneel downs we have now. now that the nfl has gone to the hurry up why not go back to the 30 second rule and have some real action at the end of games?
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
WHY? it turned the end of the game to the crappy kneel downs we have now. now that the nfl has gone to the hurry up why not go back to the 30 second rule and have some real action at the end of games?
I agree Tom, Now if the other team has no timeouts the offense can simply kneel on the ball after the 2:00 minute warning. To just wipeout the final two minutes like that is dreadful.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

I disagree - the worst rule change occurred two years ago when overtime stopped being sudden-death. Took something exciting and made it complex and confusing (see the Demaryius Thomas touchdown for an example of what I mean).
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I do think the kneel down is cheap. I think they need to give the team that is down more time. Kind of like how in Basketball you can start fouling to get the ball back. Obviously there are fewer possessions in football. I don't know that shorter play clock is the answer because that would hurt a team trying to come back.

I don't agree on sudden death. The team that got the first possession only had to move into field goal range. That made the most exciting thing about the game the coin toss.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
I disagree - the worst rule change occurred two years ago when overtime stopped being sudden-death. Took something exciting and made it complex and confusing (see the Demaryius Thomas touchdown for an example of what I mean).
Hmm I don't get what your saying you don't like new rule because of DT ending game in ot? DT td was under the new rule and game is over with a TD. I like that game isn't sudden death with a fg.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

The 40 second play clock is just fine, going to 30 seconds would force a simplification of offences by limiting the number of personnel changes you can do, presnap motion and audibles. The kneel is fine, the alternative is to snap the ball to the RB and have him go fetal behind the line and wait for someone to touch him down, that would take even longer as the blockers could prevent people from stopping the play by making the runner down by contact.

As for the sudden death rule, the new set is much better. I hated the rules when you won the toss, drove about 40 yards, kicked a 45 yard field goal to walk off.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Maybe coaches should start playing the late 3rd, early 4th quarter as if they have a sense of urgency rather than starting to play at the 4 minute mark.

Way too many coaches wasting time for me to think changing the play clock is the issue.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

The worst rule changes are the hitting of qb's below the waist and the defensless reciever penalties
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Arena League has a pretty good rule where you have to gain positive yardage to keep the clock running at the end of the game.

I hope the NFL takes up that rule one day.
boltaneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Another rule I never really understood: Why isn't spiking the ball considered intentional grounding?
BroncsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
What's the f'n problem? A team gets 60 minutes of football to do their thing. Why does your final two minutes have to be some magnificent show with all kinds of drama about the team who is down being able to comeback. Again, you got the whole damn game to play your best, coach your best. If the other team is ahead in the final two minutes, maybe that team should have done somethings differently before that. The clock rule is fine. The kneel down is fine. There are plenty more things wrong with the rules then for you to call this the worst in the game, good god dude.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Maybe coaches should start playing the late 3rd, early 4th quarter as if they have a sense of urgency rather than starting to play at the 4 minute mark.

Way too many coaches wasting time for me to think changing the play clock is the issue.
This.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
Another rule I never really understood: Why isn't spiking the ball considered intentional grounding?
The rulebook says:

Quote:
Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass
Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).
It's not grounding because the QB is not facing an imminent loss of yardage.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Now that they can radio in the plays, which they couldn't do back then, change it back to 30 seconds and lets get more action and less promos for terrible CBS sitcoms.

Oh wait, that's why it will never be changed or made longer if anything. Have to update How I Met Your Mother.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #15
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Quote:
What's the f'n problem? A team gets 60 minutes of football to do their thing. Why does your final two minutes have to be some magnificent show with all kinds of drama
because, back in the "old days' they used to play til clock hit 00.0
as it is now. the team thats winning can just kneel down.
maybe with a 30 second clock the broncos might have had some incentive to win the freakin game Before overtime.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #16
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

back in "the old days" before replay, even playoff games started at 2pm and ended at 5 pm. thank god for dvr.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #17
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I do think the kneel down is cheap. I think they need to give the team that is down more time. Kind of like how in Basketball you can start fouling to get the ball back. Obviously there are fewer possessions in football. I don't know that shorter play clock is the answer because that would hurt a team trying to come back.

I don't agree on sudden death. The team that got the first possession only had to move into field goal range. That made the most exciting thing about the game the coin toss.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #18
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Quote:
The kneel down is fine.
Woohoo that makes for great football. kneeldown instead of more football yay.
the kneeldown has only been around since 1988.
O the drama since its been around. run a play? No! lets take a knee!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #19
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Arena League has a pretty good rule where you have to gain positive yardage to keep the clock running at the end of the game.

I hope the NFL takes up that rule one day.
That would be an awesome idea.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #20
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Quote:
There are plenty more things wrong with the rules then for you to call this the worst in the game, good god dude.
Nope! this is one of the worst rules ever. to go from 30 seconds to 45 then 40 Total crap! to turn the end of an NFL game to an NBA timeout crapfest!? so why does the clock stop in the last mins for out of bounds?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #21
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

i want more football. i thought it was me just me that remembered the 30 second clock.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #22
Bacchus

Quote:
Nope! this is one of the worst rules ever. to go from 30 seconds to 45 then 40 Total crap! to turn the end of an NFL game to an NBA timeout crapfest!? so why does the clock stop in the last mins for out of bounds?
I agree to be able to kneel on the ball with still wo minutes left in the game is pathetic.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
What's the f'n problem? A team gets 60 minutes of football to do their thing. Why does your final two minutes have to be some magnificent show with all kinds of drama about the team who is down being able to comeback. Again, you got the whole damn game to play your best, coach your best. If the other team is ahead in the final two minutes, maybe that team should have done somethings differently before that. The clock rule is fine. The kneel down is fine. There are plenty more things wrong with the rules then for you to call this the worst in the game, good god dude.
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.

It would seem that the nfl has made rules to try and bring some excitement to the end of games. I like the idea of the clock only stopping when yardage is gained.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #24
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Sorry to bring this up again but..Why, Why did they go from 30 seconds to 45 then 40 seconds? for 50 years the defense got 30 seconds to line up against the O. then all of a sudden in 1988 it went to 45 seconds. total crap. so it went to 40 seconds -also crap. i dont care if my broncos are up with 2 mins to go i want an old fashioned 30 second clock
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

The worse part bout basketball is the final 2 minutes of the game are longer than the rest of the game combined. It gets boring when a team is down by 9 and while in range, they really don't have much chance. Yet it's inbound whistle, timeout, inbound, timeout, inbound, whistle, timeout, inbound, run around in circle for brief period try to pass, whistle, timeout. The result after about 3 series of this....... Losing by 11.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote