The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #51
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
I'd tip her something, and then speak to a manager about her job security. That's me.
But would you bang her?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #52
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Maybe you'll be a rockstar professor someday or write a book more influential than 1984.
Thanks for the well-wishes. I've been teaching at universities for ten years, so I'm already a rockstar. I wish creative writing, english studies, and academia weren't the political cesspolls that they are--so I'm not sure I'll stay in academia, but in any case I'm proud to chase a career in something I'm passionate about.

Last edited by Pseudofool; 02-08-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #53
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
But would you bang her?
Does she want to keep her job?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #54
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I have a standard. I leave 10%, and write, "I give God 10%, why should I give you more?"
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #55
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Here's a couple serious questions, though:

1) When (and how much) do you tip a valet? When, as in, do you just tip when you're picking up? Or do you tip when you're dropping off, as well?

2) How much do you tip a bellman at a hotel?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #56
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I always tip 20% and usually more. If the service is even bad for a moment, all I do is let the server know they need to pick up the quality of service and earn that tip
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #57
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
You'd just have to pay more for food. Tipping zero percent is never okay.
Good! And yes I will not give a tip to a ****ty ****ing waiter/tress.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #58
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I don't get why people get bent about stuff like this. If you don't want to pay extra for service, here's a crazy novel idea; DON'T GET SERVED!!!!!!
Everywhere you go you get "served." But, somehow the restaurant/bar industry is an exception? Yah, it's ****ing stupid.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #59
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

I worked in the industry while in high school. I worked at the Broadmoor Hotel (Charles Court) and at the Briarhurst Manor in Manitou Springs as a busboy. If you are good and went way beyond the call of duty, you made more than the customary 15% back in the day. My waiter would always ask me on larger parties if we should just add in the 15% which was common even back then.. late 1970's, We NEVER did that because we knew we busted our ass for every customer that came in and we always would be left more than the 15%.

A lot of people have zero clue on what "TIP" stands for.

T - To
I - Insure
P - Promptness

If you are not getting Prompt service, you are a fool to pay them like they did.

PS: I tip my hair stylist 33%, Khan, ask you wife if that is enough

PSS: I was in Greece last summer and they look at you like you are crazy if you give them a tip.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #60
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
There is some inconsistency, though. You're served anytime you do anything at any business and you don't tip everyone in every industry.

Here's an interesting question. My wife works at a salon, but when she was starting out she worked at a crappy great clips. So gentlemen, when great clips has a sale on haircuts 7.99 per haircut, what do you consider a good tip on those sales?
$1,19 plus a mint condition Maurice Clarett rookie card.

I keep a collection of them for just this kind of situation.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #61
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Please. I worked the food industry while my wife was pregnant. Get over yourself.
It's ok. I think every man feels like that at some point or another during their wife's pregnancy.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #62
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Here's my favorite tipping story.

I used to travel quite a lot for my business - pretty much with the same people each trip, for four cities a week. With that kind of intense interaction, it's a killer to be with someone you don't like.

One guy I traveled with would carry around a pocket full of one-dallar bills (multiple reasons for that, but I digress). At each meal, he would put a small stack of them on the table. When the server came to the table for the first time, he would say, "See that pile? It will stay that big if you do the following..." And then, he would list the things he felt were required for good service. As the meal went on, he would make a big show of taking bills off the pile.

His standard was that GREAT service deserved 15%; good service was 10%; and bad service was zero. He used to ask each of us what we tipped. At first, we would tell him - assuming he was just having a hard time with the math. Then, a few months into it, I noticed a pattern with him. We would all head out to the rental car, and he would always need to go in to grab his forgotten jacket, use the restroom, etc.

So, you see where this is going? I followed him one time, without him knowing it, and caught him TAKING CASH OFF OUR TABLE. What a colossal douche! We made his life miserable, after we found out. His justification was that he thought tipping so much was immoral, so he was helping us out by taking cash off the table, from whomever didn't pay with credit card. So, if the cumulative tip was, say, $40, he might take a cash-payer's tip down to zero, to bring the whole table to 10%.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #63
DenverDynamite

There is a philly cheese steak place, a little hole in the wall kind of restaurant that my wife likes. The food isn't exactly cheap, and I always go there and order out. Yet I always get a vibe that they expect a tip. I honestly hate that. I am going to them, paying for the food and the only service I get is them putting a not-so-cheap sandwich in a bag and handing it to me. I get the whole small business thing, but seriously, I don't tip at McDonald's why should I tip there?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #64
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
I told her most guys would pay ten bucks for the whole thing. That's a 25% tip. She was furious with me. She said that's what "they all did" and it was rude since the price was discounted they should tip more. My argument was it's not my job to set prices and just go off the cultural norm. Her response was it was the same as bringing a gift card to a restaurant and only tipping on the difference paid. I did not agree. I felt the card was another form of payment and it's ridiculous to have me memorize their price list.

This was all academic since she cuts my hair for free and before she was dating I gave her ten bucks because she's hot.
If the regular haircut was $12 and a tip of 20% is $2.40, she was gipped $.40.

Big deal. I tip on what it would have cost, not the discounted price. Would somebody really tip 20 cents during $1 Drink Night? Do they still have that btw?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #65
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
There is a philly cheese steak place, a little hole in the wall kind of restaurant that my wife likes. The food isn't exactly cheap, and I always go there and order out. Yet I always get a vibe that they expect a tip. I honestly hate that. I am going to them, paying for the food and the only service I get is them putting a not-so-cheap sandwich in a bag and handing it to me. I get the whole small business thing, but seriously, I don't tip at McDonald's why should I tip there?
You don't tip. Only time I would tip is if I ordered it there. If I called it in and said I will be there in 30 minutes, no need to tip. If they are busy and you are ordering take out and walked in to order, 8 to 10% isn't a bad idea as it might be a waitress helping you out.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #66
DenverDynamite

That's another one - Bartenders - okay I get it if you go and order multiple drinks that require mixing or whatever. But what if you walk up to a bar and order a 3 dollar bud light. Is opening a beer bottle really a tip worthy service?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #67
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I worked in the industry while in high school. I worked at the Broadmoor Hotel (Charles Court) and at the Briarhurst Manor in Manitou Springs as a busboy. If you are good and went way beyond the call of duty, you made more than the customary 15% back in the day. My waiter would always ask me on larger parties if we should just add in the 15% which was common even back then.. late 1970's, We NEVER did that because we knew we busted our ass for every customer that came in and we always would be left more than the 15%.

A lot of people have zero clue on what "TIP" stands for.

T - To
I - Insure
P - Promptness

If you are not getting Prompt service, you are a fool to pay them like they did.

PS: I tip my hair stylist 33%, Khan, ask you wife if that is enough

PSS: I was in Greece last summer and they look at you like you are crazy if you give them a tip.
That story about tip being an acronym is bogus. Acronyms were not widely used before the mid 20th century and people were tipping well before that.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/...lse_etymology/

Quote:
"Tip” (and “tips") is often said (incorrectly) to be an acronym of:

. To Insure Promptness.
. To Insure Performance.
. To Improve Performance.
. To Insure Prompt Service.
. To Insure Proper Service.

The 1895 New York (NY) Tribune published an etymology of the wrord “tip” stating that an old time English tavern had box for coins, upon which was written the words “To Insure Promptness.” In a widely reprinted 1919 newspaper story, it was stated that the King’s Head tavern in London “100 years ago” had a box upon which was written ‘To Insure Prompt Service.” The false “tip” (or “tips") etymologies were frequently reprinted in early 1900s newspapers.

The word “tip” is cited since the 1700s as a form of the word “tip” (meaning “to give” or “to hand” or “pass” or “to let one have").

The word originates from the 16th century verb tip, which meant “to give, hand, pass” and “to tap”, possibly being derived from the Low German word tippen, meaning “to tap.” The modern German term for a tip is the unrelated Trinkgeld, literally “drink money.”

This is similar to the urban legend where people say Sh*t was an acronym for Ship High in Transit or that Golf was an acronym for "Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden." Acronyms weren't used until the military began the trend in WWII and then it didn't spread through the rest of the country until well after that. Because of their ubiquity people incorrectly look for them in old words whose etymology is forgotten.

As for what to tip your hair stylist, I would tip her whatever she's worth. If she gives you a good haircut and you go back a lot, 20% or more should be good. I tipped a lot if she did a good job and was attractive. In fact I tipped attractive waitresses and stylists more than unattractive ones. This is incredibly prejudiced, obviously, but that was my practice.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #68
DenverDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
You don't tip. Only time I would tip is if I ordered it there. If I called it in and said I will be there in 30 minutes, no need to tip. If they are busy and you are ordering take out and walked in to order, 8 to 10% isn't a bad idea as it might be a waitress helping you out.
Cool, thanks. I agree. It's like a take-out place actually no wait staff, yet they have a tip jar and a line on the credit card bill for a tip.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #69
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
Cool, thanks. I agree. It's like a take-out place actually no wait staff, yet they have a tip jar and a line on the credit card bill for a tip.
Yeah I don't tip for pick up orders. It's for someone to wait on you. They get the money as part of the system. If no one is waiting on you, who do they give it to? This is also why if someone was poor enough as a waiter I wouldn't tip them. I'd pay for the food but not bad service.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #70
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
That was the appropriate reaction. Again, Bravo.

My first post in this thread was a thoughtful response. I took offense to your joke, and you didn't like it. And here we are.

Maybe you should get the ban hammer out.
FYI, I am not mod. And if you have a problem with me, you have a problem with a lot of people on this board from all political parties.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #71
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I know who the grey rep is from.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #72
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Here's my favorite tipping story.

I used to travel quite a lot for my business - pretty much with the same people each trip, for four cities a week. With that kind of intense interaction, it's a killer to be with someone you don't like.

One guy I traveled with would carry around a pocket full of one-dallar bills (multiple reasons for that, but I digress). At each meal, he would put a small stack of them on the table. When the server came to the table for the first time, he would say, "See that pile? It will stay that big if you do the following..." And then, he would list the things he felt were required for good service. As the meal went on, he would make a big show of taking bills off the pile.

His standard was that GREAT service deserved 15%; good service was 10%; and bad service was zero. He used to ask each of us what we tipped. At first, we would tell him - assuming he was just having a hard time with the math. Then, a few months into it, I noticed a pattern with him. We would all head out to the rental car, and he would always need to go in to grab his forgotten jacket, use the restroom, etc.

So, you see where this is going? I followed him one time, without him knowing it, and caught him TAKING CASH OFF OUR TABLE. What a colossal douche! We made his life miserable, after we found out. His justification was that he thought tipping so much was immoral, so he was helping us out by taking cash off the table, from whomever didn't pay with credit card. So, if the cumulative tip was, say, $40, he might take a cash-payer's tip down to zero, to bring the whole table to 10%.
This guy deserves to get Super-Aids. Seriously.

My rule. Don't be cheap, but don't be a sucker either. I tip 20 percent if the service is good. I tip 25 percent for outstanding service at local restaurants where the waiter/waitress recognizes me as a return customer. I tip 10 percent for below average service. Basically, you have to disappear to get 10 percent. Honestly, I haven't had poor enough service to warrant a 0 tip in like 6 years or so.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #73
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

20% for good service.
People who don't tip are the scum of the earth. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #74
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
20% for good service.
People who don't tip are the scum of the earth. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out.
Free country bro!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #75
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
FYI, I am not mod. And if you have a problem with me, you have a problem with a lot of people on this board from all political parties.
Ad populum? Really? Btw, I got repped for calling your joke tasteless. So what? I'm fine with having a problem with people who belittle service industry workers (and how they may have gotten there) and those who laugh at them. You're working with the logic of a schoolyard bully. "But teacher, everybody hates that kid!?!"

Seriously, you could have said, "You know, I can see how that might rub people the wrong way, but I found it funny. My bad." But instead you're going to juvenile lengths to justify a joke. Seriously, you posted a pic of your reps. WTF, man?