The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #26
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,831

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Good service gets 15% and I won't let the insiders tell me that it went up. The rate is the same since I have been tipping (California has servers at minimum wage). I know waiters only claim tips on the credit card payment so I always try to tip with cash. That way if they think I am not cool with following the bull**** of "it is now 18% so get with it!", they at least know they keep my tip and don't claim it. Plus, service industry is required to pay taxes on 8% of their tips. So if they average 10% after paying out busboys, cooks, etc., they still have 2% of tax free money.
If I get awesome service or something free (birthday cake), I will tip 20%. Bad service will get 5% so they know I didn't forget and they sucked big time.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #27
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,812

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I don't get why people get bent about stuff like this. If you don't want to pay extra for service, here's a crazy novel idea; DON'T GET SERVED!!!!!!
There is some inconsistency, though. You're served anytime you do anything at any business and you don't tip everyone in every industry.

Here's an interesting question. My wife works at a salon, but when she was starting out she worked at a crappy great clips. So gentlemen, when great clips has a sale on haircuts 7.99 per haircut, what do you consider a good tip on those sales?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,831

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Then why'd you make the joke? Who finds that funny?

It's like saying I have a black friend, so I can make racist jokes. Give me a break.
All I know is I have a Mormon friend here and he even likes Star Trek.

I found it funny btw.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #29
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,135

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

double the tax add a little if their good...... what percent is that?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,278

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
There is some inconsistency, though. You're served anytime you do anything at any business and you don't tip everyone in every industry.

Here's an interesting question. My wife works at a salon, but when she was starting out she worked at a crappy great clips. So gentlemen, when great clips has a sale on haircuts 7.99 per haircut, what do you consider a good tip on those sales?
I always tip for a haircut. My grandpa took me to a local barber my whole life and told me since these people provide a service, they too should go and get tips. I go to a local barber and he charges 12 bucks a haircut. I give him 15 bucks usually and leave. If my hair is super long and crazy, I tip more.

When I moved to Colorado I was in Winter Park near the national park and lived out there for about 8 days. I didn't wash or bath besides going in the stream a few times and my hair was pretty much toast and dreaded and looked like red dingleberries. I hiked back into town, went to a salon first thing in the morning. Haircuts were 15 bucks, but I gave the girl 30 because of what a mess I was.

Always tip for a haircut.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #31
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Then why'd you make the joke? Who finds that funny?

It's like saying I have a black friend, so I can make racist jokes. Give me a break.
Racist jokes aren't funny? Good luck with that one.

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #32
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,217

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
There is some inconsistency, though. You're served anytime you do anything at any business and you don't tip everyone in every industry.
Not inconsistent at all. Tips are not factored into the pay of service providers in other industries.

Quote:
Here's an interesting question. My wife works at a salon, but when she was starting out she worked at a crappy great clips. So gentlemen, when great clips has a sale on haircuts 7.99 per haircut, what do you consider a good tip on those sales?
200%
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #33
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,812

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I always tip for a haircut. My grandpa took me to a local barber my whole life and told me since these people provide a service, they too should go and get tips. I go to a local barber and he charges 12 bucks a haircut. I give him 15 bucks usually and leave. If my hair is super long and crazy, I tip more.

When I moved to Colorado I was in Winter Park near the national park and lived out there for about 8 days. I didn't wash or bath besides going in the stream a few times and my hair was pretty much toast and dreaded and looked like red dingleberries. I hiked back into town, went to a salon first thing in the morning. Haircuts were 15 bucks, but I gave the girl 30 because of what a mess I was.

Always tip for a haircut.
What would you tip on a 7.99 haircut? There is no right answer (unless you ask my wife).
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #34
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
double the tax add a little if their good...... what percent is that?
Depends on where you live. Every state tax is different and local meals taxes vary.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,831

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
double the tax add a little if their good...... what percent is that?
In California, that just helped the wait staff for retards that can't figure it out. It went up another .25% to 8% in OC. Some places 8.25% or 8.5%.
I think we should use that logic and move to Oregon!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #36
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Because it was funny. I have three reps with "lol" in them and I put that joke up thirty minutes ago. And it's not like this thread is "rockin" or anything.
I'm sure if you made any kind of joke ripping liberals, or people who study humanities or environmental concerns or social work, you'd have loling all over the place. And that's part of the problem.

Really your joke isn't clever, it's another english major in a coffee shop routine.

Your joke, and the people who laugh at it, play into the narrative about those people who follow a career path that might end up leading to serving tables part time, maybe for the rest of their lives. It's a sad truth that people with non-business degrees, esp. in the humanities and social services, can't find work in their field. These people are already disspirited by the fact they are over-educated for waiting tables. I'm sure if you waited tables, you ran into many of these type of people. So you laugh at them. Well done.

Last edited by Pseudofool; 02-08-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #37
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Racist jokes aren't funny? Good luck with that one.

No, they are. They're also racist, though.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #38
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,278

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
You'd just have to pay more for food. Tipping zero percent is never okay.
It's definitely OK if the person spills a drink on you, gets your order wrong TWICE and is a see ya next Tuesday.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #39
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,278

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
What would you tip on a 7.99 haircut? There is no right answer (unless you ask my wife).
If the woman cutting my hair conversed well with me and had a lot to say, made me feel like a good guest, etc. -- I'd probably just give 'em 15 bucks and be done with it. A couple bucks (2 or 3) at the minimum. I always liked going to Great Clips in Fargo because they had cute girls who loved to chat -- and women always rave about my red hair, so we find a lot of things to talk about. Actually got me a couple of dates and five minute fun times, so it was all good.

TIP YOUR BARTENDER.

TIP YOUR HAIRCUTTER.

DO NOT TIP CHIP DA RIPPER.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #40
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,278

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
I'm sure if you made any kind of joke ripping liberals, or people who study humanities or environmental concerns or social work, you'd have loling all over the place. And that's part of the problem.

Really your joke isn't clever, it's another english major in a coffee shop routine.

Your joke, and the people who laugh at it, play into the narrative about those people who follow a career path that might end up leading to serving tables part time, maybe for the rest of their lives. It's a sad truth that people with non-business degrees, esp. in the humanities and social services, can't find work in their field. These people are already disspirited by the fact they are over-educated for waiting tables. I'm sure if you waited tables, you ran into many of these type of people. So you laugh at them. Well done.
What are you studying in graduate school Psuedofool? Hope you are learning a lot and having fun. Sometimes the Mane can be a tough crowd.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #41
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
It's definitely OK if the person spills a drink on you, gets your order wrong TWICE and is a see ya next Tuesday.
Really, not even then. If a clerk at a gas station spills your slurpie and treats you with disdain, can you pay less for the slurpie?

Last edited by Pseudofool; 02-08-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #42
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,812

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Not inconsistent at all. Tips are not factored into the pay of service providers in other industries.

200%
I told her most guys would pay ten bucks for the whole thing. That's a 25% tip. She was furious with me. She said that's what "they all did" and it was rude since the price was discounted they should tip more. My argument was it's not my job to set prices and just go off the cultural norm. Her response was it was the same as bringing a gift card to a restaurant and only tipping on the difference paid. I did not agree. I felt the card was another form of payment and it's ridiculous to have me memorize their price list.

This was all academic since she cuts my hair for free and before she was dating I gave her ten bucks because she's hot.

Last edited by Kaylore; 02-08-2013 at 09:40 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #43
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,812

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Pseudofool is like the left wing version of drama llama.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #44
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Pseudofool is like the left wing version of drama llama.
When did I even bring up politics? You made a classless joke that the conservatives of the board dug. And now you're righteous. Bravo. Class act.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #45
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,812

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
When did I even bring up politics? You made a classless joke that the conservatives of the board dug. And now you're righteous. Bravo. Class act.
Broncocalijohn isn't remotely right wing. Others have since reped whom I will not mention since I don't have permission who are not right wing. Get over yourself and take your stupid bull crap out of this thread. No one came to this thread to watch you brow-beat from your high horse. Quit hi-jacking it with your bullcrap.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #46
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
What are you studying in graduate school Psuedofool? Hope you are learning a lot and having fun. Sometimes the Mane can be a tough crowd.
I'm earning my Ph D in Creative Writing and Literature. So yeah, I'm a career waiter.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #47
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,278

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Really, not even then. If you clerk at a gas station spills your slurpie and treats you with disdain, can you pay less for the slurpie?
Pretty sure if I get a drink spilled on my, my order wrong twice (waited for well over and hour) and treats the table like **** -- the waitress doesn't deserve a tip.

Please tell me why she does.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #48
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Broncocalijohn isn't remotely right wing. Others have since reped whom I will not mention since I don't have permission who are not right wing. Get over yourself and take your stupid bull crap out of this thread. No one came to this thread to watch you brow-beat from your high horse. Quit hi-jacking it with your bullcrap.
That was the appropriate reaction. Again, Bravo.

My first post in this thread was a thoughtful response. I took offense to your joke, and you didn't like it. And here we are.

Maybe you should get the ban hammer out.

Last edited by Pseudofool; 02-08-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #49
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Pretty sure if I get a drink spilled on my, my order wrong twice (waited for well over and hour) and treats the table like **** -- the waitress doesn't deserve a tip.

Please tell me why she does.
I'd tip her something, and then speak to a manager about her job security. That's me.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #50
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,278

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
I'm earning my Ph D in Creative Writing and Literature. So yeah, I'm a career waiter.
Sounds like a fun time. One of my best friends from undergraduate got his degree in English, went on to get his MA and now is doing his PhD back where we went to school together (in exactly what you are) and is teaching at the university (lower level courses) and making a pretty solid living while completing his PhD.

I hear you on the AH&SS people getting ripped on all the time. Has happened to me a lot on this board, but couldn't care less.

Maybe you'll be a rockstar professor someday or write a book more influential than 1984.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Denver Broncos