The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #401
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I agree. OSU football and basketball doesn't play all the time and there are also people that don't give a **** about OSU but live there. LA has Dodgers/Angels and Lakers (and now the damn Clippers) and hockey has done well especially if there is a winning product. Of course LA/OC is much bigger area but Columbus doesn't have much for pro teams so here is there chance to jump on a local bandwagon.
Ohio is pretty saturated with sports, there are 5 NFL teams within about 150 miles of Columbus (Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh), 3 NBA teams (Indiana, Detroit and Cleveland), Detroit and Pittsburgh have two of the most successful NHL teams in recent history, on top of that you have college sports (OSU and half the of MAC conference in state). Columbus is only the 3rd largest metro area in the state and lacks the ability to generate state-wide draw.

The only time the Blue jackets are not competing with OSU is after March madness but by then the playoffs are rolling around and the hockey players hit the golf course. It is a shame because it is not a bad arena they play in.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #402
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

What's the deal with Sacco and the Avs, what's the overall feeling from some of you who watch the Avs a lot more than me? Is the team just cheap? Is Sacco a good coach or is he more the problem? Who is the GM, who is bringing these guys in and why is the GM not retaining talent?

Everytime I watch the Avs they are losing. I don't know any of the players because there seems to be a lot of roster turnover. The Avs are always trading with other teams but it never seems to make the team better.

I think Sacco should be fired IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #403
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
What's the deal with Sacco and the Avs, what's the overall feeling from some of you who watch the Avs a lot more than me? Is the team just cheap? Is Sacco a good coach or is he more the problem? Who is the GM, who is bringing these guys in and why is the GM not retaining talent?

Everytime I watch the Avs they are losing. I don't know any of the players because there seems to be a lot of roster turnover. The Avs are always trading with other teams but it never seems to make the team better.

I see a team that works hard for the most part, but they lack talent. Too many grinders and not enough skill.

They had a shot at Kovalchuk but didn't want to pay up. Although, not sure he would be doing as well he is doing in NJ. Devils are a more structured organization and you must conform.

Avalanche are not quite there yet in terms of rebuilt culture/organization structure.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #404
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

still believe Gillis and Mcphee are up to something, they completely collaborated on that "phone call" where Gillis called mcphee to apologize for creating attention by being there.

Both are desperate GMs wanting to save their jobs. The caps are not going anywhere without changes and the Canucks are not the same dominant team of years past. I think a big trade is coming, it may involve luongo or it may not...
Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #405
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
I would disagree.

If Columbus can get going and be successful in the WIN column, it can be a good hockey city. They have a nice arena and its surrounding area called the "Arena District" is pretty nice. It's a good sports town, like new franchise, the Blue Jackets need to start winning for hockey to catch on there.
Look, I just wanted to hate on Ohio. I also hate on New Jersey.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #406
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Look, I just wanted to hate on Ohio. I also hate on New Jersey.
Hate away.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #407
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:

for some reason the Avs organization seems to love him.
the team is just piss poor on offense, the dump and chase hockey is done way too much. they're like a soccer team that can't run set pieces nor organize a consistent offensive cohesion.

he's been coaching this team for far too long for them to consistently look like a confused team. the only time they look creative on offense is when Duchene and Stastny are flying around and charging the net.
everyy other time they dump the puck in and try to swing it around instead of setting up some nice plays to get pressure.

he needs to go and if the Kroenke's don't want to poor more money into the team and be more aggressive in building then they need to go too.

the Avs fell so in love with signing big time FA's that they don't know how to truly build a franchise and they keep missing in the draft due to injuries(Hishon),lack of maturity(Siemens) or just going way too safe and focusing on one hockey league to scout and draft talent from.

Last edited by Lestat; 02-05-2013 at 06:58 PM..
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #408
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Thanks for playing, Rangers.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #409
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
for some reason the Avs organization seems to love him.
the team is just piss poor on offense, the dump and chase hockey is done way too much. they're like a soccer team that can't run set pieces nor organize a consistent offensive cohesion.

he's been coaching this team for far too long for them to consistently look like a confused team. the only time they look creative on offense is when Duchene and Stastny are flying around and charging the net.
everyy other time they dump the puck in and try to swing it around instead of setting up some nice plays to get pressure.

he needs to go and if the Kroenke's don't want to poor more money into the team and be more aggressive in building then they need to go too.

the Avs fell so in love with signing big time FA's that they don't know how to truly build a franchise and they keep missing in the draft due to injuries(Hishon),lack of maturity(Siemens) or just going way too safe and focusing on one hockey league to scout and draft talent from.
It looks to me like when Greg Sherman took over as GM things went to crap but I could be wrong. Pierre Lacroix was a great GM and now it looks like they got a young guy who doesn't have a clue. Add Joe Sacco to the mix and it just looks like the Avs are somewhat inept in either keeping young talent or trading for young talent or developing talent. Pierre Lacroix the the president of the team but it looks like he's not helping much.

Like I said, they are always trading someone but it never pans out. They seem to draft ok, but why don't the keep their talent? Why can't they find a goalie who's worth a crap? Why do the keep trading young goalies away like that Anderson kid?

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 02-05-2013 at 08:31 PM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #410
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Good to get another win tonight...unfortunately had to work late so I didn't see it. I still think we need to make some moves to really take it to another level.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #411
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings win 4-2 over the Blue Jackets. Mike Richards with a Gordie Howe hat trick and fought Dubinsky again. (They hated each other from their Phi-NYR days.) Also, Scuderi is a freaking warrior, his eye was damn near closed shut and still played in the game.

Edit: Pic of Scuds.

Last edited by 24champ; 02-05-2013 at 09:04 PM..
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #412
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

****ing fire Mcphee already, before he does some stupid **** to save his job
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #413
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
It looks to me like when Greg Sherman took over as GM things went to crap but I could be wrong. Pierre Lacroix was a great GM and now it looks like they got a young guy who doesn't have a clue. Add Joe Sacco to the mix and it just looks like the Avs are somewhat inept in either keeping young talent or trading for young talent or developing talent. Pierre Lacroix the the president of the team but it looks like he's not helping much.

Like I said, they are always trading someone but it never pans out. They seem to draft ok, but why don't the keep their talent? Why can't they find a goalie who's worth a crap? Why do the keep trading young goalies away like that Anderson kid?
When you only have one decent line and set of defensemen, its hard to play goalie. Hunwick, O'Bryne, O'Brien (Defensemen) belong in the AHL. All make at least one boneheaded mistake every game. Most nights we average 5-6 players that shouldn't be playing in an NHL game. I actually think Varlamov is a pretty good goalie. We seem to be riddled with injuries every year for the last 5-6 years going back to when Sakic put his hand in his snow blower. Depth is basically none existent and the front office seems to be content with missing the playoffs. They don't spend more than they have to. Some nights I think its Sacco, other nights I think its due to lack of talent. Last night we were missing O'Reilly (still not signed), Landeskog, Downie (out for season), Jones, and Wilson. Hard to win when 2 stars and 3 other regulars are out.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #414
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:

no this problem started well before Sherman. they didn't know how to build a farm system in the last few years of Lacroix's reign as GM. then followed that up by hiring that moron Giguere and then let Quenville.
Sherman has brought in most of the talent that is currently on the team or in the system. Giguere was horrible as a GM and should never have gotten the job, the only reason he did was because he played for the franchise.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #415
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Kings win 4-2 over the Blue Jackets. Mike Richards with a Gordie Howe hat trick and fought Dubinsky again. (They hated each other from their Phi-NYR days.)
Its about time he won one now 1-4
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #416
Baba Booey

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Shame Dubinsky was traded out of the Atlantic division.

1. He sucks
2. Ryan Carter can't knock him out anymore
Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #417
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
Shame Dubinsky was traded out of the Atlantic division.

1. He sucks
2. Ryan Carter can't knock him out anymore
Dubinsky is one of the biggest douches in the league. The guy thinks he's good lol.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #418
Baba Booey

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I remember when some Ranger fans used to say he was better than Zajac.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #419
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Dubs was good at one point but then bought into his own hype. That's when Cally surpassed him on the ice. I liked him but would trade him 100 out of 100 times for Nash.
Ray Finkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #420
Baba Booey

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Callahan is great because he just plays. That's why he's a captain and that's why he's probably a lock for Team USA next year.

Dubinsky tried to mix it up after the whistle too much. He took too many pages out of Avery's book instead of focusing on the game.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #421
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Callahan is great because he just plays. That's why he's a captain and that's why he's probably a lock for Team USA next year.

Dubinsky tried to mix it up after the whistle too much. He took too many pages out of Avery's book instead of focusing on the game.
Dubs was similar to Cally in the minors and when they first came up (Dubs was Jagr's center a lot that year) BUT he got into his head he was the second coming of Graves and certain things fell off. Cally's one of the most low key Captains the Rangers have ever had. Making the team and becoming captain never effected him.
Ray Finkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #422
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Viktor Fasth shuts out COL for his 4th straight win, in his 4th start.
Dang, ANA is literally LOADED at Goalie. Havent even seen Deslauriers
and Gibson, who just won the U21 Nationals with Team USA.
Fasth keeps playing like this, and teams are gonna forget about Luongo
and come calling in ANA.

socalorado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #423
Baba Booey

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Devils will take Gibson please and thank you
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #424
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Devils will take Gibson please and thank you
Ah, No. Gibson aint goin anywhere.
But you can inquire about the other 3 goalies and make ANA an offer.
socalorado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #425
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Viktor Fasth shuts out COL for his 4th straight win, in his 4th start.
Dang, ANA is literally LOADED at Goalie. Havent even seen Deslauriers
and Gibson, who just won the U21 Nationals with Team USA.
Fasth keeps playing like this, and teams are gonna forget about Luongo
and come calling in ANA.

Nobody will talk seriously to Anaheim about goalies. Hiller is a vertigo attack away from missing an entire season, nobody looking for a hot goalie is going to take that chance - with a short season you can just sit back and wait for Fasth to become a UFA after the season. Deslauriers is utterly worthless, he can't even get on the ice in the AHL. Gibson is good but he is no Patterson or Binnington.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote