The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #51
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Happens when you decide to work in the US without it being legal for you to be here in the first place.

Actually, it happens because US companies are hiring them when they know they shouldn't but do so anyway because they'll make a bigger profit.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #52
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Actually, it happens because US companies are hiring them when they know they shouldn't but do so anyway because they'll make a bigger profit.

...because they are illegal.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #53
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
"God Made a Farmer" was alright, problem is that the U.S. is no longer an agrarian society and all that farm-stuff comes from gigantic corporations.
Not all of it dude. All the reason to support your small farmer at your local markets. Join a CSA (community sponsored agriculture) farm if you can. You can buy a share of the farm and eat some real good grub. Or you can buy horse burgers from Burger King.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #54
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Not all of it dude. All the reason to support your small farmer at your local markets. Join a CSA (community sponsored agriculture) farm if you can. You can buy a share of the farm and eat some real good grub. Or you can buy horse burgers from Burger King.
I truly believe we are slowly and steadily seeing the tide swing back to local and community farmers.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #55
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I come from a long line of ranchers, so the Paul Harvey work ethics commercial really hit home.

By far, I thought the best commercial was the Clydesdale spot. Bud always does a great job with those ads every year, and this one had no drop off in quality.

The ad using the 'Wild Horses' theme that played both years the Broncos won the Super Bowls was so far head and shoulders above any of these that the new ones just seem to pale in comparison, but this Clydesdale commercial was outstanding.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #56
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
I truly believe we are slowly and steadily seeing the tide swing back to local and community farmers.
There are some good trends happening out there for sure. You don't have to own a ton of land to provide good healthy food for your family. There are even great indoor options for people who own no land at all!

IMO there is no excuse to not even attempt to grow some healthy food for you or your family anymore. I'm working on a plan to make it idiot proof.

I believe there will be a huge chunk of corporate profits taken back by smaller farms in the coming years. People are slowly waking up and starting to realize that maybe they need to think twice about what they are feeding their precious babies.

Last edited by Meck77; 02-05-2013 at 03:55 AM..
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #57
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

I guess I am in the vast minority. I absolutely hated the Audi commercial. Struck me as very misogynist. Hey boys, seriously, every high school girl dreams of that guy who couldn't get a date randomly accosting her at prom and forcing his tongue down her throat. Just look at that b**** you know she was getting all wet from that kiss. You want her, take her. Consent is for wusses.

Seriously, when did Audi start catering to the neanderthal mentality?
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #58
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
When they realized it works and is at least partially responsible for them gaining major market share from BMW, Lexus and Mercedes.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #59
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
I guess I am in the vast minority. I absolutely hated the Audi commercial. Struck me as very misogynist. Hey boys, seriously, every high school girl dreams of that guy who couldn't get a date randomly accosting her at prom and forcing his tongue down her throat. Just look at that b**** you know she was getting all wet from that kiss. You want her, take her. Consent is for wusses.

Seriously, you might want to see a doctor about the massive stick up your ass dude.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #60
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
When they realized it works and is at least partially responsible for them gaining major market share from BMW, Lexus and Mercedes.
I really want to argue this point. I really do. But, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I concede to you good sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
Seriously, you might want to see a doctor about the massive stick up your ass dude.
As I said, vast minority. (I know that's a technically incorrect use of the term but it amuses me) I will also acknowledge that I am generally a joyless cynic who finds little value in 99.999% of content produced for public consumption. (Was going to go one more decimal place on the percentage, but that would have been an exaggeration.)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #61
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

I didn't actually watch any commercials, and hardly any of the game. Had it on in another room and could hear it, but did not watch much of the game at all.

That being said, do "good" commercials actually influence you to buy a certain product? I've heard a lot of good things about the Dodge commercials "Imported from Detroit", the Farmer one Sunday, etc. But I'd never buy a Dodge automobile.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #62
hades

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
There are some good trends happening out there for sure. You don't have to own a ton of land to provide good healthy food for your family. There are even great indoor options for people who own no land at all!

IMO there is no excuse to not even attempt to grow some healthy food for you or your family anymore. I'm working on a plan to make it idiot proof.

I believe there will be a huge chunk of corporate profits taken back by smaller farms in the coming years. People are slowly waking up and starting to realize that maybe they need to think twice about what they are feeding their precious babies.
Just saw this or I would quoted it with my other post, DOH!

Anyways, I'm no farmer, but I do grow a few things I like to eat, like alfalfa sprouts, and a few other types of sprouts indoors. It is really easy too!. I also grow my own wheatgrass.

This spring I plan on setting up a small section of my yard to grow some veggies, squash, tomatoes and maybe some bell peppers. Nothing much, but stuff we use often enough to try and enjoy growing it ourselves.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #63
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
I didn't actually watch any commercials, and hardly any of the game. Had it on in another room and could hear it, but did not watch much of the game at all.

That being said, do "good" commercials actually influence you to buy a certain product? I've heard a lot of good things about the Dodge commercials "Imported from Detroit", the Farmer one Sunday, etc. But I'd never buy a Dodge automobile.
I've actually looked long and hard at this and gotten into several arguments with people about it. I can definitely say that in my case, maybe 5% of my total purchases are based off of tv advertisements. And almost all of that are very small ticket items that I never would've heard of without seeing the ads. The only exception MIGHT be certain electronics; but even then, I'm not buying based off of a commercial. I'm researching those kinds of purchases online for weeks before I actually buy.

The guys that spend the most money on ads during big events like the SB (beer, soda, doritos, cars/trucks, etc) don't get any more or less money from me than if they saved their money and ran zero ads.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #64
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
The guys that spend the most money on ads during big events like the SB (beer, soda, doritos, cars/trucks, etc) don't get any more or less money from me than if they saved their money and ran zero ads.
It's mostly about brand recognition. Advertising may not directly result in sales, but the goal is to put your brand/product in the consumers' mind. That way, when consumers go to make a purchase, your product is more likely to be one they consider (or at the very least recognize, making it more relevant).
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #65
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
this, I'm hooking into a CSA this coming summer. My friends are running it and I get free veggies/fruit for helping them out.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #66
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
It's mostly about brand recognition. Advertising may not directly result in sales, but the goal is to put your brand/product in the consumers' mind. That way, when consumers go to make a purchase, your product is more likely to be one they consider (or at the very least recognize, making it more relevant).
this. Audi knows those commercials will not directly translate into someone getting off their couch and buying an Audi. But what they do know is that anyone thinking about buying a higher end sports/luxury vehicle will now have the name Audi in their heads. "Hey, I want a really nice car like a BMW, Mercedes or what's that other German car? Oh yah, an Audi, I might check them out too." That type of thing.

Anyone growing up in the West (I grew up in CO) knows about Audi due to their quattro cars. We also know about Subarus which are now becoming more widely known. It just amazes me that people all around the USA don't know these vehicles but when you don't really need all wheel drive vehicles then these manufacturers simply aren't part of the equation.

I'm also wildly amazed by how many people buy full size trucks and SUVs that DON'T HAVE 4WD. Lots of people down south don't buy 4WD trucks and SUVs and I'm like, why? Well, they don't need the 4WD capabilities, so they don't buy those big vehicles with 4WD.

Does not compute with me. It's like buying a 2WD Jeep. What's the point?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #67
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Does not compute with me. It's like buying a 2WD Jeep. What's the point?
Or like buying a Muscle Car with an automatic transmission. I just shake my head at all the 5 speed auto Mustangs I see out there.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #68
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Or like buying a Muscle Car with an automatic transmission. I just shake my head at all the 5 speed auto Mustangs I see out there.
In another 5-10 years, you probably won't even be able to buy a manual transmission car. In reality, there's really no advantage to buying a manual over an automatic anymore for 99% of the population, given all the advances in auto transmissions with manual modes and better gas mileage, etc.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #69
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

If you are a dude, I think your wife has your balls in her purse. Please go get them and re-attach. Don't bother to ask her or she will kick your ass. Pansy!

EDIT: Saw that you at least admitted it. Good sport..pansy!

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 02-05-2013 at 11:36 AM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #70
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post

Yes. As an MBA student, I appreciate companies that invest in good marketing promotions, and avoid ones who are bad. There are obviously other variables, but if it came down to Ford or Dodge/Chrysler, and everything else was equal, I would go Dodge because of the commercial.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #71
Meck77

Hades/RJ and other agriculturally minded people. Here is a pretty cool FB page with all sorts of back yard/small farm ideas.

I think people forget how much better home grown food is over store bought. When I yank fresh produce off my farm and give it to people they are amazed at how long it stays fresh in their fridge. The reason is people are so programmed into buying produce at the store and it spoiling within days because it was picked 5 or 10 days ago!

https://www.facebook.com/PickAPepper
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #72
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

It's about product awareness and branding, too. You may not think it, but what you buy says a little bit about who you are. Cool people buy cool products... practical people buy practical products.

It's called branding.

I used to buy a lot of my clothes at Macy's or Neiman Marcus, for example, and avoided places like Sears precisely because of branding.... but I honestly went to Sears and bought a pair of Levi's after I saw this commercial, which I thought was incredibly well-done:

I honestly bought a pair of Levi's because of this commercial. One of my marketing profs at DU played this commercial in class to explain the idea of how branding can effect consumers... he basically said this was one of the best commercials he'd ever seen, and I agree with him.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #73
hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
Yes. As an MBA student, I appreciate companies that invest in good marketing promotions, and avoid ones who are bad. There are obviously other variables, but if it came down to Ford or Dodge/Chrysler, and everything else was equal, I would go Dodge because of the commercial.

I like this Ford commercial myself!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #74
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Hades/RJ and other agriculturally minded people. Here is a pretty cool FB page with all sorts of back yard/small farm ideas.

I think people forget how much better home grown food is over store bought. When I yank fresh produce off my farm and give it to people they are amazed at how long it stays fresh in their fridge. The reason is people are so programmed into buying produce at the store and it spoiling within days because it was picked 5 or 10 days ago!

https://www.facebook.com/PickAPepper
This is very true... gotta check it out, because I'm tired of shopping at Whole Wallet.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #75
hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
It's about product awareness and branding, too. You may not think it, but what you buy says a little bit about who you are. Cool people buy cool products... practical people buy practical products.

It's called branding.

I used to buy a lot of my clothes at Macy's or Neiman Marcus, for example, and avoided places like Sears precisely because of branding.... but I honestly went to Sears and bought a pair of Levi's after I saw this commercial, which I thought was incredibly well-done:

I honestly bought a pair of Levi's because of this commercial. One of my marketing profs at DU played this commercial in class to explain the idea of how branding can effect consumers... he basically said this was one of the best commercials he'd ever seen, and I agree with him.

I buy stuff I like, no doubt. I like bright colors, so I've had a yellow Mustang and now a Gotta Have It Green one. I only buy Levi jeans cuz that's the brand/style I like. I buy them anywhere that sells Levi's for a good price. I've purchased from JC Penny, the Levi Outlet store and I'm sure my wife has picked up a pair or two for me somewhere else. I've bought Bronco shirts from K-Mart and at the Bronco store at the stadium, as well as Penny's.

I will say, I'll shop anywhere until they piss me off. I never shop at Walmart, and as of a couple years ago, no longer shop at Sears (after being jacked around on a new dishwasher we bought and never received. Took forever for them to figure it out and get our money back, so no more business from us).
Same with Chevy actually, and that was due to a jackwad at a dealership in 1988. Tried to buy my first new car, he said I didn't look like I could afford one. Left, got a new Ford and drove up there the next day to show him I could get one (yeah, I was 19 and married and wearing Levi's).

Any major purchase tho, I will research it (except Mustangs, I think I'll always drive one) and buy the product I feel will serve its purpose best for me.

Thx for that link Meck, I just "Liked" the page! Do you follow Juicing Vegetables? Some good info at times, a lot of him pushing his books too tho.
http://www.facebook.com/VegetableJuicing?fref=ts

Last edited by hades; 02-05-2013 at 01:19 PM..