The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Tom Nalen: Broncos Need To Consider Several Issues In 2013, Including Manning

DENVER (CBS4) – The Baltimore Ravens are hoisting the Lombardi Trophy this year, and if the Broncos want to be doing the same thing next year former Bronco and occasional CBS4 Sports commentator Tom Nalen said he thinks they have some issues to address.

1. The Offensive Line

The offensive line is the most glaring area of concern for a team that appeared to have few weaknesses during the regular season last year.

“Ryan Clady is having shoulder surgery. J.D. Walton is having ankle surgery. Chris Kuper is having ankle surgery again to fix a plate. If those guys are healthy I think they’re fine. I thought Walton played very well before he got hurt as opposed to his first two years I thought he struggled a little bit. He looked a lot better this year,” Nalen said. “But they do need some depth in case those guys can’t come back.”

2. Defensive Line

Nalen said he thinks the Broncos are in good shape with their tackles, although he says they could use more depth at that position.

3. Linebackers

Nalen said middle linebacker could be the biggest area of need for the team. He also said it may be time to say goodbye to D.J. Williams.

“I think for both parties it would be better for D.J. not to be here. I just think that a fresh start for him would be good,” said Nalen of Williams, who missed more than half the season due to suspensions. “Maybe they could get a decent draft pick in return for him. I think that would probably be the best way to go.”

“He wants to play ‘Will’ linebacker, and he’s a great linebacker — he plays all positions. But he’s a great Will linebacker.”

“I was a teammate of D.J.’s. I loved D.J. D.J.’s great in the locker room. I just don’t see Wesley Woodyard giving up that spot.”

4. Quarterback

The Broncos best player could also perhaps be the team’s biggest question mark, according to Nalen.

Manning came in second in the voting over the weekend for the MVP of the league award, but his overwhelming regular season success once again didn’t translate to success in the playoffs. His team was one-and-done for the eighth time in his career.

For the rest ... http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/02/0...uding-manning/
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Agreed on these fronts. Denver should annually make an investment in the OL/DL. The good teams do. I think we have to find another DB, and a playmaker to eventually replace Stokely, either at TE or WR. That to me is probably the biggest concern unless we can sign somebody in FA.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Interesting... what happened to the long greasy hair Tom?? lol!
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

IMHO

Glaring: MLB and SS.
Next: RB and G/C
Last: CB and T
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

A saw a quote this morning on the ticker but missed who said it. It was a Raven's player after the game:

"We beat the past (Peyton Manning), we beat the present (Tom Brady), and we beat the future (Colin Kaepernick)".

Seems like a shot at Denver even if there is truth to that statement.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

I don't agree with any of this part....come on Dan, John Elway didn't have a great Superbowl in 1997 (or 1987, or 1989). Peyton Manning was the mvp for ****s sakes while "not playing very well"

4. Quarterback

The Broncos best player could also perhaps be the team’s biggest question mark, according to Nalen.

Manning came in second in the voting over the weekend for the MVP of the league award, but his overwhelming regular season success once again didn’t translate to success in the playoffs. His team was one-and-done for the eighth time in his career.

“The regular season is great, but it doesn’t mean anything unless you do something in the playoffs with it. He had the same tag about him in college at Tennessee: ‘He couldn’t win the big one.’ The year after he left Tee Martin leads the team to the national championship.

“I realize (Manning) has won a Super Bowl, but he didn’t really play that well in that Super Bowl. It was kind of a rainy day against the Bears. And the next year he lost a Super Bowl where he threw a Pick-6 to the Saints. So I think there’s some concern there.”

“I think he puts so much pressure to be perfect all the time, and football is not a game of perfection. You have to roll with the mistakes, and overcome them and not let the pressure get to you. And I think that he puts so much pressure on himself that it affects him in the playoffs.”

Last edited by bronco militia; 02-04-2013 at 11:49 AM..
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
I don't agree with any of this part....come on Dan, John Elway didn't have a great Superbowl in 1997.

4. Quarterback

“The regular season is great, but it doesn’t mean anything unless you do something in the playoffs with it. He had the same tag about him in college at Tennessee: ‘He couldn’t win the big one.’ The year after he left Tee Martin leads the team to the national championship.

“I realize (Manning) has won a Super Bowl, but he didn’t really play that well in that Super Bowl. It was kind of a rainy day against the Bears. And the next year he lost a Super Bowl where he threw a Pick-6 to the Saints. So I think there’s some concern there.”

“I think he puts so much pressure to be perfect all the time, and football is not a game of perfection. You have to roll with the mistakes, and overcome them and not let the pressure get to you. And I think that he puts so much pressure on himself that it affects him in the playoffs.”
I agree with all of it 100 percent. He should see a sports psychologist like yesterday. Seriously, the dude should have won 7 Championships by now.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
I agree with all of it 100 percent. He should see a sports psychologist like yesterday. Seriously, the dude should have won 7 Championships by now.
lol...you and Dan should get your brain's scanned.....obviously too many blows to the head
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

i liked him better when he didnt talk
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Seems to me there were conversations like this back in January 1997 about another QB.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

i liked him better when he didnt talk
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Every team has areas they can improve including us....but am I the only Broncos fan who feels like a lot of this kind of stuff is being blown out of proportion? Guys EVERY SINGLE THING went Baltimore's way against us. The weather, the bounces, the calls. And even after all of it if we knock down a hail mary we win. And even after the hail mary we still could have won.

I think we all agree now looking back had we beat them we more than likely would have won the Super Bowl. Obviously that is no sure thing but there is a pretty good chance of it. Can't we all just recognize that was just one of those days where nothing went right unfortunately for us? I don't think we need to start talking about making lots of changes. We were a fluke day away from probably winning the Super Bowl. Period.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
A saw a quote this morning on the ticker but missed who said it. It was a Raven's player after the game:

"We beat the past (Peyton Manning), we beat the present (Tom Brady), and we beat the future (Colin Kaepernick)".

Seems like a shot at Denver even if there is truth to that statement.
That was Terrell "my lips are the size of baseballs" Suggs
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Just a question, who replaces Stokely if/when he breaks down? I think that is a legitimate question considering 3 wide is a staple of our passing game, they are basically a starter. Need to find somebody young, especially since Decker and DT are inching closer to their rookie contracts expiring.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Every team has areas they can improve including us....but am I the only Broncos fan who feels like a lot of this kind of stuff is being blown out of proportion? Guys EVERY SINGLE THING went Baltimore's way against us. The weather, the bounces, the calls. And even after all of it if we knock down a hail mary we win. And even after the hail mary we still could have won.

I think we all agree now looking back had we beat them we more than likely would have won the Super Bowl. Obviously that is no sure thing but there is a pretty good chance of it. Can't we all just recognize that was just one of those days where nothing went right unfortunately for us? I don't think we need to start talking about making lots of changes. We were a fluke day away from probably winning the Super Bowl. Period.
Only one I can't look past is Fox/McCoy (although the McCoy problem took care of itself)

Flukes and bad luck happen to everyone sooner or later. But they're much harder to overcome when you're playing not to lose.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Only one I can't look past is Fox/McCoy (although the McCoy problem took care of itself)

Flukes and bad luck happen to everyone sooner or later. But they're much harder to overcome when you're playing not to lose.
I'm saying I don't think we need to go as far as talking about an issue at QB. One of those 25 things that went wrong goes our way and we beat Balt and more than likely are celebrating a Super Bowl victory.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
That was Terrell "my lips are the size of baseballs" Suggs
He really is the ugliest dude ive ever seen...he makes sloth from the goonies look like brad pitt.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
I'm saying I don't think we need to go as far as talking about an issue at QB. One of those 25 things that went wrong goes our way and we beat Balt and more than likely are celebrating a Super Bowl victory.
I hear ya. But even assuming there is something to the Manning psyche that tends towards this kind of finish, the way to exorcise those demons is to look at 31 seconds and 2 timeouts up on the scoreboard, grab Peyton's facemask, tell him he's the ****ing greatest to ever play the game and go out there and ****ing prove it.

John Harbaugh shows 10x as much confidence in Joe FN Flacco. It's disgusting honestly. Here we go, I'm pissed again.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I'll take Playoff Elway over Playoff Peyton anyday. Denver has alot to overcome to win a ring.

1. Best players need to shine at money time. (none did)
2. Denver needs to focus harder on the lines
3. Denver needs a two fast playmakers on offense
4. MLB must be solved in 13
5. Denver needs a legit answer at RB

Lots of work for FO with 2 yr window.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 02-21-2013 at 11:38 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I hear ya. But even assuming there is something to the Manning psyche that tends towards this kind of finish, the way to exorcise those demons is to look at 31 seconds and 2 timeouts up on the scoreboard, grab Peyton's facemask, tell him he's the ****ing greatest to ever play the game and go out there and ****ing prove it.

John Harbaugh shows 10x as much confidence in Joe FN Flacco. It's disgusting honestly. Here we go, I'm pissed again.
They called a run play after the spot ball challenge was won by the niners. It was 3rd and short and it was a run play. Flacco audibles into a 17 yard strike with full confidence in Boldin. Manning audibles passes into runs on 3rd downs alot this year. I don't understand that much.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I agree with everything but the Manning issue.

Anyone here honestly believe we would have gone 13-3 and gotten the first seed with another QB? I understand the logic behind "Manning chokes in the playoffs," but does anyone believe the Broncos would have had the same success with anyone but a handful of QB's?

I am significantly concerned about the O-line. As a matter of fact, I think that the O-line may have been the main culprit for our early exit from the playoffs. I trust Elway to address this in the offseason.

Also, our RB situation certainly doesn't fit the Fox "ball control" system. A young McGahee would be terriffic, but the current one just can't be counted on to last an entire season and lead us to the promised land. We need more blue chip talent on the line and in the RB corps.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I'll take Playoff Elway over Playoff Peyton anyday. Denver has alot to overcome to win a ring.

1. Best players need to shine at money time. (none did)
2. Denver needs to focus harder on the lines
3. Denver needs a two fast playmakers on offense still
4. MLB must be solved in 13
5. Denver needs a legit answer at RB

Lots of work for FO with 2 yr window.
Can John play Safety too?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

Anyone here honestly believe we would have gone 13-3 and gotten the first seed with another QB? I understand the logic behind "Manning chokes in the playoffs," but does anyone believe the Broncos would have had the same success with anyone but a handful of QB's?

I am significantly concerned about the O-line. As a matter of fact, I think that the O-line may have been the main culprit for our early exit from the playoffs. I trust Elway to address this in the offseason.

Also, our RB situation certainly doesn't fit the Fox "ball control" system. A young McGahee would be terriffic, but the current one just can't be counted on to last an entire season and lead us to the promised land. We need more blue chip talent on the line and in the RB corps.

I don't think Oline was the early exit reason. After Baltimore tied the game up that Oline and manning produced a 10 play 88 yard 4th quarter TD drive. That was a game winning drive. No choking there. Adams sealed that game winning drive with a 4th down pass defended. Other reasons such as a coach who's balls shriveled up or a UCLA alum who never learned to run to a ball were the culprit.

Totally agree about RB. injury prone backs don't help the cause either. Need quality backs that can be counted on to play entire games.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 02-04-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
They called a run play after the spot ball challenge was won by the niners. It was 3rd and short and it was a run play. Flacco audibles into a 17 yard strike with full confidence in Boldin. Manning audibles passes into runs on 3rd downs alot this year. I don't understand that much.
Someone somewhere in a position of influence still believes the Broncos have a power running game. Even sans Willis or KM. I don't get it either.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

I 100 percent agree with you that there was no one we could have picked up or kept from last year on the roster that would have had more success. But when people like me suggested keeping Tebow, it was to help build our team and then when we have a legit shot at a QB take him. ****, Alex Smith made the championship game last year and Flacco is a Superbowl Champion. If you insert a good QB onto a great team, he has a very good chance of building the confidence he needs and succeeding. IE Russell Wilson! With all the success of the new QB class it makes it clear you don't need the best QB in the game to win a Superbowl.

Trying to take shortcuts and buy championships usually doesn't work.