The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default AFC West: As It Applies to the Broncos. First Up: Chiefs

A team that wants to get to the playoffs consistently needs to be able to take care of its division rivals on a regular basis. The Broncos' rivals are going through some major changes this offseason. Here's a look at the first team, the Chiefs, and the effect this particular team might have on the Broncos offseason choices:

New coach: Andy Reid - Coaching tree of Bill Walsh via Mike Holmgren. WCO. Coached Eagles for 13 years. Was also, effectively, the GM since 2001. Has a pretty impressive list of coaches in his own tree: Childress, John Harbaugh, Spagnuolo, Rivera, Shurmur, Frazier... Chiefs hired John Dorsey as GM. No doubt Reid will have input, but he'll be more strictly a HC now. Dorsey says his philosophy is BPA, straight down the line. Reid brought in the lightly experienced Doug Pederson, QB coach of Eagles, as OC, which means that Reid will pretty much be running the O. DC is former Jet's LB coach, assistant coach for 13 years, and sometime DC, Bob Sutton. He brings a lot of experience to the job.

The interesting question I have about the Chiefs is, will they trade for Alex Smith, or Matt Flynn, or keep their picks and draft a QB? Or will Reid just go with Cassel? If there's one guy who knows you have to have a QB in this league, it's Andy Reid. The question is, where will he go? For those who don't know, they have the number one pick. I'm assuming Reid will stick with the WCO, since he hired Pederson. He has the running game for it already built in with Charles at RB. I also expect them to work hard to re-sign Bowe, since his strength is as a slant receiver. The only question is, where will Reid go for the QB? I won't be surprised if he takes Barkley. There are two Matt Barkley's; Matt coached by Carroll, and Matt coached by Kiffin. Reid might just think the Carroll coached version of Barkley is just right for what he wants to do in KC. I assume they'll cut Cassel for the cap room.

Projected cap space: $16 million.
Chief's draft needs: QB, CB, DT

Broncos' issue with the new Chiefs?: Linebackers.
The one aspect of the defense that the WCO is designed to exploit is coverage in the LB corps. Reid was a TE coach and loves his TEs. I won't be surprised at all if they go after Zach Ertz with their 33 pick. He's perfect for a Reid team and the position has always flourished on Reid coached teams. Moeaki is just average and who knows what happens with Kevin Boss? He's had four serious concussions.

Conclusion: To counter a Reid coached Chief's team, the Broncos have to upgrade over the middle of the defense, especially with regard to linebacker and safety pass coverage. It might not show up Reid's first year, but it will become an issue down the road.

If this thread effort doesn't get mercilessly attacked, I'll try the Chargers and Raiders.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 02-04-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Did you mean division rivals?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Did you mean division rivals?

Yep. Thanks.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Yep. Thanks.

No problem. Good write up. Denver would be better served to pick up a MLB with range. Not just for our division games, but for when we play the NE's and Baltimores of the world.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

TEs were a problem for Denver all year and the top teams are loaded with good ones.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

We're screwed if the draft Leon Sandcastle
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

My understanding is that both Dorsey and Reid will answer directly to Clark Hunt so I'm not 100% sure who has final say on drafts and FA's, etc. I'm pretty sure that all things being equal, Reid has the final say.

The thing about this coming draft is that Geno Smith has some similarities to one Donovan McNabb. Reid loved McNabb and I can see him pull the trigger on Geno Smith with the #1 pick. Geno may not be worth the #1 pick, that is, he may not be the best player available with the #1 pick but does kc really have a choice? I guess they can trade down and try to pick up a QB later but that's a pretty big gamble. They have to first find a trading partner and then hope the right QB is there when they feel confortable taking a QB.

Also, the kc fan base is going to freak out if kc goes into the draft without a QB (like Flynn or Vick) and then does not take a QB with the #1 pick. If Geno has a good combine, I think kc will be forced to draft him, even if Dorsey doesn't think he's the BPA. Again, it will be Reid's decision IMHO.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 02-04-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
g6matty

"but we should draft minter over ogletree !!!!!!"
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I don't think Geno Smtih is like McNabb at all.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
A team that wants to get to the playoffs consistently needs to be able to take care of its division rivals on a regular basis. The Broncos' rivals are going through some major changes this offseason. Here's a look at the first team, the Chiefs, and the effect this particular team might have on the Broncos offseason choices:

New coach: Andy Reid - Coaching tree of Bill Walsh via Mike Holmgren. WCO. Coached Eagles for 13 years. Was also, effectively, the GM since 2001. Has a pretty impressive list of coaches in his own tree: Childress, John Harbaugh, Spagnuolo, Rivera, Shurmur, Frazier... Chiefs hired John Dorsey as GM. No doubt Reid will have input, but he'll be more strictly a HC now. Dorsey says his philosophy is BPA, straight down the line. Reid brought in the lightly experienced Doug Pederson, QB coach of Eagles, as OC, which means that Reid will pretty much be running the O. DC is former Jet's LB coach, assistant coach for 13 years, and sometime DC, Bob Sutton. He brings a lot of experience to the job.

The interesting question I have about the Chiefs is, will they trade for Alex Smith, or Matt Flynn, or keep their picks and draft a QB? Or will Reid just go with Cassel? If there's one guy who knows you have to have a QB in this league, it's Andy Reid. The question is, where will he go? For those who don't know, they have the number one pick. I'm assuming Reid will stick with the WCO, since he hired Pederson. He has the running game for it already built in with Charles at RB. I also expect them to work hard to re-sign Bowe, since his strength is as a slant receiver. The only question is, where will Reid go for the QB? I won't be surprised if he takes Barkley. There are two Matt Barkley's; Matt coached by Carroll, and Matt coached by Kiffin. Reid might just think the Carroll coached version of Barkley is just right for what he wants to do in KC. I assume they'll cut Cassel for the cap room.

Projected cap space: $16 million.
Chief's draft needs: QB, CB, DT

Broncos' issue with the new Chiefs?: Linebackers.
The one aspect of the defense that the WCO is designed to exploit is coverage in the LB corps. Reid was a TE coach and loves his TEs. I won't be surprised at all if they go after Zach Ertz with their 33 pick. He's perfect for a Reid team and the position has always flourished on Reid coached teams. Moeaki is just average and who knows what happens with Kevin Boss? He's had four serious concussions.

Conclusion: To counter a Reid coached Chief's team, the Broncos have to upgrade over the middle of the defense, especially with regard to linebacker and safety pass coverage. It might not show up Reid's first year, but it will become an issue down the road.

If this thread effort doesn't get mercilessly attacked, I'll try the Chargers and Raiders.
1. Matt Barkley is NOT going #1 overall, and the Chiefs will be lynched if they don't draft a QB. Trade for an average Alex Smith/Matt Flynn? That won't fly. Geno Smith will almost certainly be the pick.
2. I have doubts they will resign Bowe to be honest, or if he will even want to stay there. From my understanding they have a couple free agents that could be franchised, and Bowe won't get that.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

I wouldn't be surprised if Reid trades with Seattle for Flynn.
Something allong the lines of KCs #2 for Flynn. That or SF's Smith. Smith is an established QB, Flynn not so much. I don't think KC gives up their #1 for either, but a 2 solves their QB problem. It should happen before the draft though.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
phibacka31
Ring of Famer

Leggo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I'm assuming KC trades for a QB and drafts whoever they believe is BPA #1 overall. Nice THREAD!
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

KC will take Geno at #1.

It would be awesome if they didn't though. Geno could actually improve their team. Another DL or replacing a good LT with their #1 would certainly be preferable to me.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

right now it is impossible to tell who they take #1... I also like Geno Smith if they take QB..but I can also see them taking their chances on a vet QB like a Smith or Flynn

Going to be interesting to see how the Chiefs run things here on forward with the new regime
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Kudos for a very accurately written OP
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

DE is also a big need for the Chiefs. We have absolutely zero guys who can play one-gap DE in the 3-4.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
DE is also a big need for the Chiefs. We have absolutely zero guys who can play one-gap DE in the 3-4.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
SlyEli

I was thinking yesterday about how weak the AFC West has been for such a long time. We were the last Super Bowl winners from the AFC west in '99. Every other conference has had a team win in that span of time (NE, IND, Pit, Balt, etc) and we haven't had anyone represent the west in the Super Bowl since the raiders in 02. It's a shame that the broncs were so incredibly average or bad over that span of time that they weren't able to take advantage of a decade of easy pickings.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
I was thinking yesterday about how weak the AFC West has been for such a long time. We were the last Super Bowl winners from the AFC west in '99. Every other conference has had a team win in that span of time (NE, IND, Pit, Balt, etc) and we haven't had anyone represent the west in the Super Bowl since the raiders in 02. It's a shame that the broncs were so incredibly average or bad over that span of time that they weren't able to take advantage of a decade of easy pickings.
The Chuggers blew their chance to win a SB in the last decade. They coulda carried the torch for the Div but instead blew it.

Back on target of the OP.

Andy Reid is a good coach. His biggest weakness as it relates to KC that I see is that he is an almost phobia like thing with running the ball. Dude just will not run. Meanwhile, look at KC. They have Charles and a pretty solid running O Line. Meanwhile they got garbage in the passing game. Either they need to seriously upgrade their passing attack this off season or Reid needs to adjust his game plan. I assume that KC management considered this before hiring him? Either way, the Broncos could see a drastically different KC offense line next season.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
The Chuggers blew their chance to win a SB in the last decade. They coulda carried the torch for the Div but instead blew it.

Back on target of the OP.

Andy Reid is a good coach. His biggest weakness as it relates to KC that I see is that he is an almost phobia like thing with running the ball. Dude just will not run. Meanwhile, look at KC. They have Charles and a pretty solid running O Line. Meanwhile they got garbage in the passing game. Either they need to seriously upgrade their passing attack this off season or Reid needs to adjust his game plan. I assume that KC management considered this before hiring him? Either way, the Broncos could see a drastically different KC offense line next season.
Yeah, Reid is a very strange fit in KC right now based on their offensive personnel. It will be interesting to see how much he is willing to change. So far he doesn't want to give up calling plays.

While he may just need a change of scenery to get going again, I'm so glad the Chargers didn't try to go after him.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
BroncosfanGuy

Reid doesn't run a lot, but he does use his RBs extensively. Brian Westbrook, LeSean McCoy, and Bryce Brown all have had success and were fed the ball plenty in Reid's O. I think the addition of Reid will help Charles. He's a good receiving back who is better in space--he'll fit very well in Reid's offense. Yet another reason to upgrade at Mike.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 02-05-2013 at 06:48 PM..