The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default Criminal Background Checks on Private Firearm Sales

Let’s say a law is passed requiring private individuals to pass a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NCS) when conducting a sale or transfer of ownership of a firearm.

1. Does that mean both the seller and buyer must pass background checks or just the buyer?

2. If we both pass the background check are we then allowed to proceed with the sale in private or will we be required to register the make model and serial number of the firearm with the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms)? Say, I decide that I want to sell a firearm that was passed on to me from my grandfather. Obviously the original sale of the firearm cannot be traced to my grandfather and certainly not to me so why would I bother with a background check of the buyer?

3. There are millions and millions of firearms in the United States that were sold legally before 1998 that are not registered with the ATF. Therefore the law requiring private sellers to pass background checks would almost be impossible to enforce unless all firearms were registered with the ATF.

4. So by passing this law would are we opening the door for the ATF to eventually require all firearms to be registered?

I think only a handful in congress would dare cross that line.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links