The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
The officiating was terrible.

I would like Peyton to announce his retirement effective at the end of the 2013 season. Then maybe we'll get some of that sweet Ray Ray home cookin'.
Bill Belichick would call a press conference the next day announcing Tom Brady's retirement.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #27
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I don't know. I went back and watched some of the action at the line of scrimmage and I didn't see a lot of holding going on. Most of the time, Dumervil was simply being handled. Miller only rushed on about a third of the plays and he got close a few times, but you have to give Flacco credit for not getting phased.

Getting Yanda back was huge for the Ravens. I think their offensive line really did step it up and should get most of the credit for their success.That was especially important for a QB like Flacco who depends on the long ball.

It's almost impossible to win the SB without some luck. Sometimes, it comes in the form of an injury free year, or getting the right players back at the right time. They had that.

Sometimes you get really lucky with the draft and/or free agents. Their 3d round RB was a lot better than ours. But realistically, they were already a good team going into the season, having made it to the AFCCG the year before.

Sometimes it comes in the form of reduced competition, within the division and in the playoffs. Pittsburgh really faded this year and that helped them a bit, though I can't say the AFC North was worse than the abysmal AFC West. They had an easy first game against the Colts. They caught Denver at the right time, as well as the Pats.

And you certainly need some close calls to go your way on the field. They got those, in spades.And hearts and diamonds and clubs.

They were a good team that peaked at the right time and had an incredible amount of lopsided luck with the officials. So much and so often and at such critical times that it has a stink about it.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #28
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I'd really love to hear g0_broncos reasoning as to why the NFL would fix it for the Ravens. It makes no sense. And dont give me this ray lewis ****. The Ravens have one player with a top 25 jersey sale. This is hardly americas team. Theyve just gotten lucky with the calls
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #29
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

I don't think the officiating was all that bad, they swallowed their whistles the entire game. What I was surprised about was that Ravens #29 wasn't kicked out of the game for pushing an official during that big pileup.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #30
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I'd really love to hear g0_broncos reasoning as to why the NFL would fix it for the Ravens. It makes no sense. And dont give me this ray lewis ****. The Ravens have one player with a top 25 jersey sale. This is hardly americas team. Theyve just gotten lucky with the calls
The reasons why are pretty obvious. Don't even have to look that hard.

The Ravens were in freefall when Lewis announced. Then they went on an absolute tear.

Art dying this year. A legend in the league, even though he was a total douchebag when he left Cleveland the way he did.

The Harbowl.

With Eli not in the playoffs, the league couldn't have its Manning/Manning in New Orleans game they'd hoped for, so they went with the next-best thing. Retiring Ray Lewis, dead Art Modell, Harbowl. They can have Brady/Manning and Manning/Manning next year (and in New York!).

Not saying it WAS fixed, but there are plenty of reasons to fix it.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
The reasons why are pretty obvious. Don't even have to look that hard.

The Ravens were in freefall when Lewis announced. Then they went on an absolute tear.

Art dying this year. A legend in the league, even though he was a total douchebag when he left Cleveland the way he did.

The Harbowl.

With Eli not in the playoffs, the league couldn't have its Manning/Manning in New Orleans game they'd hoped for, so they went with the next-best thing. Retiring Ray Lewis, dead Art Modell, Harbowl. They can have Brady/Manning and Manning/Manning next year (and in New York!).

Not saying it WAS fixed, but there are plenty of reasons to fix it.
Again, The NFL does not need storylines. It's ****ing teflon. Even with all these concussions, the NFL is beyond popular. It would never ever risk its credibility to get...Ray Lewis a ring? Who gives a **** about Ray Lewis? A dead Art Modell? You think 90 percent of the people watching last night knows who Art Modell is?

What's a more compelling storyline to you? The most popular player in the NFl goes down, has 4 neck surgeries, and miraculously comes back to the next season to win a super bowl for a new team.....or Ray Lewis retiring?

Its absurd. Yes, the Ravens seemed to get the better officiating, but that could easily be explained away by coincidence. Hanlon's Razor...never assume malice for something that can easily be explained away by stupidity.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #32
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
What's a more compelling storyline to you? The most popular player in the NFl goes down, has 4 neck surgeries, and miraculously comes back to the next season to win a super bowl for a new team.....or Ray Lewis retiring?
One made a deal with Willem Dafoe. The other didn't.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #33
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

And how about Cary Williams shoving the ref during that fight. Would have been a sure ejection for anyone else.

gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Again, The NFL does not need storylines. It's ****ing teflon. Even with all these concussions, the NFL is beyond popular. It would never ever risk its credibility to get...Ray Lewis a ring? Who gives a **** about Ray Lewis? A dead Art Modell? You think 90 percent of the people watching last night knows who Art Modell is?

Its absurd. Yes, the Ravens seemed to get the better officiating, but that could easily be explained away by coincidence. Hanlon's Razor...never assume malice for something that can easily be explained away by stupidity.
If you think the league doesn't utilize storylines at every possible turn, I'd be really curious what game you're watching.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #35
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
If you think the league doesn't utilize storylines at every possible turn, I'd be really curious what game you're watching.
Of course it uses storylines, they are always trying to make narratives, but they would never FIX games to promote one...especially one that isn't all that compelling to begin with.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #36
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Of course it uses storylines, they are always trying to make narratives, but they would never FIX games to promote one...especially one that isn't all that compelling to begin with.
Sure they wouldn't, Rog.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #37
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
And how about Cary Williams shoving the ref during that fight. Would have been a sure ejection for anyone else.

Holy cow missed that. How the hell could that not be an ejection?
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #38
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Holy cow missed that. How the hell could that not be an ejection?
Because he shoved the official in the chest rather than touch fingers, like Stokley did.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #39
Drunken.Broncoholic

I would rather have a ref team that has been together all season, than putting a bunch of different ones from different ref teams together.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #40
Mouth

I'll agree that the refs swallowed their whistles most of the game, but I don't remember the 9ers committing many possible penalties that weren't called (maybe 2 or 3). The thing that bothers me are all the could-have-been penalties that weren't called. That is what doesn't pass the smell test for me. I'm not just talking superbowl either. All playoff long, almost none of the "maybe" penalties went against the ravens.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #41
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
I don't think the officiating was all that bad, they swallowed their whistles the entire game. What I was surprised about was that Ravens #29 wasn't kicked out of the game for pushing an official during that big pileup.
I agree, over all the officiating wasn't to bad. I think people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to calling a game. I would rather see fewer penalties vs more in a game.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #42
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

It's not about the number of penalties, it's about consistency. What constitutes a penalty seems to fluctuate from game to game, and when you get to the playoffs and Championship those kinds of calls/non calls are magnified.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #43
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I just don't see how the flag was not thrown on the fade into the endzone. The play started at the five yard line, so anything into the endzone was past the 5-yard zone. Jimmy Smith was holding for two to three yards straight and the ref just stared it right down and did nothing.

Regardless, the 49ers should have ran it in; they had many attempts at it but just kept passing instead.

Also, #29 should have been tossed for shoving a ref.

Someone was being literally held on the fake punt safety. Again, right in front of the ref.

Oh well. The Superbowl was on its way to being one of the worst ever until the 49ers started making plays.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #44
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Sure they wouldn't, Rog.
When you come up with a reason as to why the NFL would risk credibility to serve Ray Lewis and Art Modell, then i'll listen. Because right now you're pointing at a few calls and creating a story around that while ignoring every other variable.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #45
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I've heard a lot that the refs call fewer penalties in the playoffs than in the regular season. It was true this year, there were 6.3 penalties for 53.2 yards per team per game in the regular season, and only 5.0 penalties for 40.1 yards per team per game in the playoffs. However (don't read unless you want to be angry):

SPOILER: ( Denver was the only team to be penalized more in the post season than in the regular season. Not by a little bit either.

We had 3.8 more penalties for 36.7 more yards. The next highest was Cincinnati, who had 1.2 FEWER penalties for 2.6 FEWER yards.

On average, the other 11 teams had 1.8 fewer penalties for 18.6 fewer yards than they had in the regular season.
)
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #46
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

just 2 stand out to me and the Ravens got them both in their favor... just sayin...

Cary Williams shove, wtf?

and Egregious hold by jimmy smith not called witha definite 'catchable' ball.... just wow

great game though
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Today..i read that European soccer games are fixed.
Based on your logic, it should not be fixed as it's already popular.
Professional sports are driven by betting and they have influence on how the games are played.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #48
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
one more thing...champ will never win SB..He doesn't deserve it.plays like **** when it matters.
If you're not joking this should get you banned . I can't think of one player in the NFL that deserves it more. You sir are scum.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #49
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
My thoughts are that the games are fixed.
I was blasted when i said it before..Once Lewis announced his retirement, refs made sure he wins the SB.
For instance..4TH AND 29...it was never converted..it was yard short.

4th and 29 was a regular season game. Before Lewis announced his retirement.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #50
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Today..i read that European soccer games are fixed.
Based on your logic, it should not be fixed as it's already popular.
Professional sports are driven by betting and they have influence on how the games are played.
I'm not arguing if gambling fixed anything, though i'd find that hard to believe anyway. Not to mention, even if the niners score at the end, it wouldn't have changed bets in Vegas. I'm arguing the NFL isnt fixing **** for the sake of a storyline.