The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #351
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
FWIW, I believe Tampa has sold out every home game so far this season. I know their tickets aren't very expensive but it seems like that market is pretty excited about this bolts team.

Carolina has always been generally solid and pretty good market for hockey.

Also, I thought I saw that Edmonton got the new stadium approved set to open in 2016. It looks like it's going to be one awesome venue in downtown Edmonton.
I don't know if Tampa does this, but I know Carolina has a long history of donating tickets to school programs in order to reach nominal sell outs even though the arena is often not full.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #352
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I don't know if Tampa does this, but I know Carolina has a long history of donating tickets to school programs in order to reach nominal sell outs even though the arena is often not full.
i laugh my ass off every time i watch a game from one of the crappy southern markets, just seeing some of the deals, last tampa game it was 49 bucks for 4 tickets and a program.

$49 will get you parking for a game in toronto

Last week against the panthers, saturday night, flyers game, the lower bowl was 3/4 empty, yet ESPN attendance shows it as a sell out.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #353
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Despres has special moments but he is a turnover machine. Not sure he is ready to play with Letang full time.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #354
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
When it comes to fundamentals he's as sound as any, but he's struggling mightily to gel with his line mates. He's on a line with Jeff Skinner, and Zach Dalpe; both young energetic guys. Jordan has feed some really nice centering passes that Skinner couldn't connect on (he dosent have a great one timer). They had a good stretch against Buffalo(2) and Boston, but they've cooled down quite a bit.

The line to look out for is Eric Staal, Alexander Semin, and Jiri Tlusty. Everyone was worried that Sasha was a "shoot first guy", but he's been dishing sweet feeds to Staal all over the ice. When that line is out there with McBain, and Pitkanen they are absolutely leathal.

Congrats to Sutsy on his first goal as a Penguin. I think you guys got the better end of that deal.
Sutter was amazing defensively the first few games but has come down to earth since then.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #355
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Vokoun lulz...idiot

Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #356
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Good to get the win but they really went into a shell in that third period. Kunitz finally had a good effort for once which was nice. Neal has gone a little cold. Sid is really starting to shake off the rust now...2 straight games with 3 points and he could have had more. Despres is hurting the team right now I'd scratch him for awhile.

RedskinBronco I thought Ovie played very well...he was active and could have easily had multiple points. He really came alive in this game IMO.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #357
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
I see your lack of success and raise you the Carolina hurricanes, Tampa bay lightning, Anaheim mighty ducks, who all won the cup, and within a few years had half empty buildings once again.

There is a difference between a hockey city like Edmonton who has been worst team in the league for what 4 or 5 years ? yet still sells out every single seat, and not a hockey city like pissburg where when the teams not winning the stands sit empty, 2 bankruptcies prove that.

Last year there was talk of Edmonton moving to Seattle, if bettman doesnt bed over backwards to help them get a rink in Edmonton after the way he has gone out of the way for useless franchises like pissburg and Phoenix I will be done with the NHL.
Valid point. Edmonton is a lot different than Phoenix though. We all know Canadians live, eat and sleep hockey. It's like most teams in America though..if the team isn't doing well the seats are generally pretty empty. When the team was so bad for so many years its hard for a team to get any fan support. I know it be hard for me to want to spend any money on tickets etc if the team was constantly one of the worse teams in the league. At least Edmonton has won some cups and been around for a long time to gain support. Phoenix had done zero up until the past few years. Last year you could see how the fans are once they put a quality product on the ice. The games I've watched this year they seem to have most seats filled as well.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #358
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
i laugh my ass off every time i watch a game from one of the crappy southern markets, just seeing some of the deals, last tampa game it was 49 bucks for 4 tickets and a program.

$49 will get you parking for a game in toronto

Last week against the panthers, saturday night, flyers game, the lower bowl was 3/4 empty, yet ESPN attendance shows it as a sell out.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance
My understanding is that a sell out just means all the tickets were sold. Doesn't nessisarily mean everyone of those people who bought tickets actually showed up for the game.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #359
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
My understanding is that a sell out just means all the tickets were sold. Doesn't nessisarily mean everyone of those people who bought tickets actually showed up for the game.
Yup. I guess it's easy to eat a ticket when they only cost 5-10 bucks.

In other news, it's always nice to see the Bruins ownage of Toronto continue. Now a few days off. They need it after this stretch of 4 games in 6 days in 3 cities. Thanks lockout.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #360
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Good to get the win but they really went into a shell in that third period. Kunitz finally had a good effort for once which was nice. Neal has gone a little cold. Sid is really starting to shake off the rust now...2 straight games with 3 points and he could have had more. Despres is hurting the team right now I'd scratch him for awhile.

RedskinBronco I thought Ovie played very well...he was active and could have easily had multiple points. He really came alive in this game IMO.
I agree, his best game this year. You know the funny thing is people in DC are trashing him and getting on him and want him out. Sound familiar? Just like Murphy, Gonchar, etc. Guys who go elsewhere and help other teams win the Cup.

Ovechkin is surrounded with crap. His body language suggests he doesn't want to be here. He has gotten up for the past 2 games because I think he is embarrassed at his personal play a little bit, but of course you are going to be frustrated when you play with the likes of Beagle and Crabb .

He's going to blow up in another jersey. This organization is a **** show under Leonsis, Dick Patrick and Mcphee. Just a ****ed up organization that pissed away opportunities at the Cup, now they need to blow it up for sure.

I will say, you guys have good talent as always and offense is not the problem but I saw a lot of the same issues on your back end that I saw last spring. I think you have already conceded this season until you get D help but of course Shero is known for always pulling off great trades so I'm sure he will go out and get a D.

So far, I would say TB and Chicago are the most impressive teams but in this 48 game season; anything can happen so might as well go for it.

Caps and Flames are the absolute trash of the league. Just very poorly constructed teams with veterans who half ass, a mix of grinders and skill guys that have no clue how to play together.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #361
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

On another note, Gillis (canucks GM) and his assistant were here in DC for the game but not sure if it's for Luongo.

I hear rumors Canucks want Laich; could be a blockbuster type deal in terms of players involved.

Although, you would think Neuvirth would have come in after that 4th goal on Holtby. Could be that he was being held out...

It makes no sense for Gillis to fly from Vancouver to DC if it's not to finalize a trade.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #362
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
I agree, his best game this year. You know the funny thing is people in DC are trashing him and getting on him and want him out. Sound familiar? Just like Murphy, Gonchar, etc. Guys who go elsewhere and help other teams win the Cup.

Ovechkin is surrounded with crap. His body language suggests he doesn't want to be here. He has gotten up for the past 2 games because I think he is embarrassed at his personal play a little bit, but of course you are going to be frustrated when you play with the likes of Beagle and Crabb .

He's going to blow up in another jersey. This organization is a **** show under Leonsis, Dick Patrick and Mcphee. Just a ****ed up organization that pissed away opportunities at the Cup, now they need to blow it up for sure.

I will say, you guys have good talent as always and offense is not the problem but I saw a lot of the same issues on your back end that I saw last spring. I think you have already conceded this season until you get D help but of course Shero is known for always pulling off great trades so I'm sure he will go out and get a D.

So far, I would say TB and Chicago are the most impressive teams but in this 48 game season; anything can happen so might as well go for it.

Caps and Flames are the absolute trash of the league. Just very poorly constructed teams with veterans who half ass, a mix of grinders and skill guys that have no clue how to play together.
Yep when I looked at your lines in advance of the game I was surprised by the amount of scrubs there.It can't just be the loss of Semin...they need more talent....although Ovie was good with Ribiero today.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #363
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Yep when I looked at your lines in advance of the game I was surprised by the amount of scrubs there.It can't just be the loss of Semin...they need more talent....although Ovie was good with Ribiero today.
I always believed Ovie should be with Ribiero purely on Ribiero's ability to dangle; that buys time for Ovie to get open and it's tougher to defend those 2 on one line with how slippery Ribiero can be.

Oates finally came to his senses and put them together. Prior to that he had Beagle and Crabb with Ovechkin which is just pure garbage.

There is a definite lack of talent. They needed to cut ties with Semin but instead of going out and trying to get a top 6 scoring winger like Bobby Ryan, they ****ing go out and get that scrub Wolski.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #364
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
I always believed Ovie should be with Ribiero purely on Ribiero's ability to dangle; that buys time for Ovie to get open and it's tougher to defend those 2 on one line with how slippery Ribiero can be.

Oates finally came to his senses and put them together. Prior to that he had Beagle and Crabb with Ovechkin which is just pure garbage.

There is a definite lack of talent. They needed to cut ties with Semin but instead of going out and trying to get a top 6 scoring winger like Bobby Ryan, they ****ing go out and get that scrub Wolski.
Who do they have to trade for Ryan? Carlson and their next 10 1st rounders?
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #365
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Who do they have to trade for Ryan? Carlson and their next 10 1st rounders?
I was just using that as an example; I know there were rumblings last year given that Dale Hunter loves Bobby Ryan.

I know the caps are full of excuses. It's either Mcphee is risk averse or Ted/Dick Patrick veto trades. I hear a lot about the latter being true.

There was speculation that the ducks wanted one of carlson/alzner and one of the goalies for Pronger. If they do that, they probably have a Cup. Let's not forget the half ass offer to Chara when he was a UFA.

It's an organization that is led by a cheap ass. I bet he wants to get rid of Ovechkin's contract more than anything else right now.

I have this feeling that the Vancouver rumored trade could be more shocking than people think.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #366
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I think the NHL a sellout just means that 98% of all tickets in the non premium areas were "assigned", I don't even think they actually have to sell them - they can give them away. It is not like the NHL that has blackouts.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #367
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
I was just using that as an example; I know there were rumblings last year given that Dale Hunter loves Bobby Ryan.

I know the caps are full of excuses. It's either Mcphee is risk averse or Ted/Dick Patrick veto trades. I hear a lot about the latter being true.

There was speculation that the ducks wanted one of carlson/alzner and one of the goalies for Pronger. If they do that, they probably have a Cup. Let's not forget the half ass offer to Chara when he was a UFA.

It's an organization that is led by a cheap ass. I bet he wants to get rid of Ovechkin's contract more than anything else right now.

I have this feeling that the Vancouver rumored trade could be more shocking than people think.
The main issue with the Caps is they over value their prospects. They have been many that would have returned a good haul if traded a year earlier (pick a goalie, Semin, Green, etc). If Bobby Ryan would have required more than the Rangers gave Columbus, the Caps didn't have the ammo.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #368
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Ryan is now sitting pretty as the new Center for the Ducks 2nd line.
Dont see him goin anywhere.
Ducks are a top 5 team right now, and its mainly due to their 2nd and 3rd
lines, which are scorching hot right now.
Unreal.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #369
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Ryan is now sitting pretty as the new Center for the Ducks 2nd line.
Dont see him goin anywhere.
Ducks are a top 5 team right now, and its mainly due to their 2nd and 3rd
lines, which are scorching hot right now.
Unreal.
I agree, it doesn't make sense to move Ryan now, especially with both Getzlaf and Perry looming as UFAs - if they lose either or both of those guys (along with a potential Selanne retirement) they will need Ryan more than ever. The Ducks are in a really good position with cap room so there is no reason to unload.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #370
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
The main issue with the Caps is they over value their prospects. They have been many that would have returned a good haul if traded a year earlier (pick a goalie, Semin, Green, etc). If Bobby Ryan would have required more than the Rangers gave Columbus, the Caps didn't have the ammo.
They have no prospects to overvalue, which is another area where GMGM is doing a bang up job. Since the lockout, Neuwirth (who was pretty much a 1st rounder), Holtby, Eakin, and Perrault are the only non-1st round picks who have seen any serious NHL time. They're pretty much down to Kuznetsov (if he ever comes over) and Forsberg. 2 very high level prospects and complete crap after them. He's got to horde his nuts because it's not like they have anything in the pipeline to replace.

McPhee is like Kiki when he was the GM of the Nuggets, was able to clear the deck and set them up for a clean rebuild and get them to the playoffs, but he's unable to take them to the next level in the playoffs. He's too risk averse
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #371
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
They have no prospects to overvalue, which is another area where GMGM is doing a bang up job. Since the lockout, Neuwirth (who was pretty much a 1st rounder), Holtby, Eakin, and Perrault are the only non-1st round picks who have seen any serious NHL time. They're pretty much down to Kuznetsov (if he ever comes over) and Forsberg. 2 very high level prospects and complete crap after them. He's got to horde his nuts because it's not like they have anything in the pipeline to replace.

McPhee is like Kiki when he was the GM of the Nuggets, was able to clear the deck and set them up for a clean rebuild and get them to the playoffs, but he's unable to take them to the next level in the playoffs. He's too risk averse

Good point......
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #372
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I agree completely. They overvalued Carlson, laich and johansson just to name a couple. I would have traded Carlson and laich as part of a package for pronger and taken my shot at the cup.

But Ted only cares about sustaining regular season attendance. Funny that it's backfiring on him now.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #373
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i gotta say, i was pissed that we gave up a unprotected first for Varly. mostly due to my thinking that he could have been had for a couple of seconds instead.
but his play and abilities have me very happy that we cough up the prospect/pick and got the player.

the Caps have to stop overvaluing their prospects and trying to bleed blood from a stone on trades. they will have to either go all in or stay mediocre.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #374
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i gotta say, i was pissed that we gave up a unprotected first for Varly. mostly due to my thinking that he could have been had for a couple of seconds instead.
but his play and abilities have me very happy that we cough up the prospect/pick and got the player.

the Caps have to stop overvaluing their prospects and trying to bleed blood from a stone on trades. they will have to either go all in or stay mediocre.
All Ted cares about is the "generational" BS which is what it is. He's perfectly happy getting to the playoffs and feeding the kool aid to the sheep and believe me there are a lot of dumb caps fans who follow blindly. Of course, he is being exposed more and more and some are starting to see the light which is refreshing.

For example, Ted would rather sell Carlson, Laich and Neuvirth as "young guns" for the next 10 years to the fan base rather than go all in when the caps have the team and send those guys back in 2010 for Pronger.

Still too many "rock the red" types that believe every word he says.

This is the same guy who said: As long as we are making the playoffs and selling out, why would I get rid of Mcphee?

All the guy cares about is pocketing the revenue. He's a big, fat liar

Last edited by RedskinBronco; 02-04-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #375
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
All Ted cares about is the "generational" BS which is what it is. He's perfectly happy getting to the playoffs and feeding the kool aid to the sheep and believe me there are a lot of dumb caps fans who follow blindly. Of course, he is being exposed more and more and some are starting to see the light which is refreshing.

For example, Ted would rather sell Carlson, Laich and Neuvirth as "young guns" for the next 10 years to the fan base rather than go all in when the caps have the team and send those guys back in 2010 for Pronger.

Still too many "rock the red" types that believe every word he says.

This is the same guy who said: As long as we are making the playoffs and selling out, why would I get rid of Mcphee?

All the guy cares about is pocketing the revenue. He's a big, fat liar
oh i know, he was one of the guys who wanted the NBA to harden the rules to fit the mold of the NHL so that the owners could pocket more money.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote