The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #51
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I'm sorry you think 6 extra yards per game rushing is more impressive then 54 more points. I remember TD being a TD machine and we WERE SB champions.

How about AP? Is he going to beat the Ravens today?
He might, he's probably playing Madden in his living room against them.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #52
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
And Peterson would've had the all time record if he'd gotten anywhere close to TD's carries. He was like 7 yards shy with 44 carries less. TD might've sat a lot but he also had a lot of carries. As long as Peterson had less carries and more yards, the "he could've had more yards" is a useless argument completely.
OK, then how about this...TD is the 2,000 yard rusher who led his team to a SB title....where as Peterson is the 2,000 yard rusher who led his team to a wildcard playoff loss.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #53
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
OK, then how about this...TD is the 2,000 yard rusher who led his team to a SB title....where as Peterson is the 2,000 yard rusher who led his team to a wildcard playoff loss.
The fact that everyone is trying to come up with these lame ass excuses to justify it just confirms that the Mane is full of crybabies and most aren't actually interested in anything more than a tear-filled circle jerk.

The MVP is for the regular season so, again, if they give TD the benefit of that then they're giving the benefit to him that you all accuse them of NOT giving Broncos in every other instance. Oh, and we'll ignore the fact that your justification can't exist since MVP is announced before the SB...
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #54
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Quick, name me the last time a TD leader (receiving or rushing) was also a SB champion. Surely they must correlate well, right?

Now go do your research. I have no idea who it is but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that TD was the last time it happened. Individual success does not necessarily equal team success.
Well I can play that dumb game too.

Quick name me the last 2000 yard rusher that was the SB champion. Surely they must correlate well, right?

Now go do your research. I have no idea who it is but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that TD was the last time it happened. Individual success does not necessarily equal team success.

I can tell you that Shaun Alexander and Randy Moss both lead the NFL in scoring and made it to the SB. Have any 2000 yard rushers made it to the SB since TD?

Judging by the fact that 3 2000 yard rushers failed to make it to the SB and at least two league leaders in TDs have played in the SB I think it safe to say that scoring points for the team helps more then individual rushing yards.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #55
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well I can play that dumb game too.

Quick name me the last 2000 yard rusher that was the SB champion. Surely they must correlate well, right?

I can tell you that Shaun Alexander and Randy Moss both lead the NFL in scoring and made it to the SB. Have any 2000 yard rushers made it to the SB since TD?

Judging by the fact that 3 2000 yard rushers failed to make it to the SB and at least two league leaders in TDs have played in the SB I think it safe to say that scoring points for the team helps more then individual rushing yards.
You can keep trying to obscure it how you want but the point exists that if Peterson isn't deserving of his, TD wasn't deserving of his.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #56
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
You can keep trying to obscure it how you want but the point exists that if Peterson isn't deserving of his, TD wasn't deserving of his.
I'm sure you can find a quote of mine then that says AP doesn't deserve MVP.

Also you are a fool to think scoring points is a individual stat. NFL football games are won and lost by scoring points. The difference in points TD scored then AP would have put the Vikings from 20th PPG to 6th. Yet you seem to think that AP's 1 yard per carry average is the more important team stat.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #57
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm sure you can find a quote of mine then that says AP doesn't deserve MVP.

Also you are a fool to think scoring points is a individual stat. NFL football games are won and lost by scoring points. The difference in points TD scored then AP would have put the Vikings from 20th PPG to 6th. Yet you seem to think that AP's 1 yard per carry average is the more important team stat.
Points aren't scored (or not scored) in a vacuum. If player X doesn't score, player Y might. If player X does, player Y never gets a chance. Bettis, late in his career, was a TD machine but nobody'd consider him an MVP of any of those teams. He just took the ball at the one and punched it in. If he hadn't existed, the ball wouldn't have just been turned over or something.

In Moss' big TD year, there were often times when they'd go 3 times to him at the goal line. That doesn't mean that if he hadn't been there, the team would've just scored 120+ points less. They'd have gotten most of those points just the same.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #58
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
On a team that was projected for about 5 wins. Manning would of got the MVP if they didn't choke against Baltimore.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #59
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Points aren't scored (or not scored) in a vacuum. If player X doesn't score, player Y might. If player X does, player Y never gets a chance. Bettis, late in his career, was a TD machine but nobody'd consider him an MVP of any of those teams. He just took the ball at the one and punched it in. If he hadn't existed, the ball wouldn't have just been turned over or something.

In Moss' big TD year, there were often times when they'd go 3 times to him at the goal line. That doesn't mean that if he hadn't been there, the team would've just scored 120+ points less. They'd have gotten most of those points just the same.
At the time TD was becoming the 4th player to rush 2000 yards he was just became 6th player in NFL history to rush for more then 20 TDS in a season. Chew on that for a bit.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #60
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
At the time TD was becoming the 4th player to rush 2000 yards he was just became 6th player in NFL history to rush for more then 20 TDS in a season. Chew on that for a bit.
I'm not convincing you, you're not convincing me. Have an extra beer and I will as well.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #61
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
So you're saying the people bent the rules and gave him the MVP based on two years' production? That'd violate the rules for the benefit of the Broncos. That's the kind of stuff we hear as a basis for East Coast bias.
Where on earth did you come to that conclusion? There are no rules in opinions. Context and circumstance have everything to do with determining value. MVP is far more than production based. If it were simply a game of numbers there would be no way any players outside of QB's would win it. TD won the MVP partially because of numbers, but mostly due to the circumstances of those numbers. Defending champ, SB MVP, and being the catalyst for an incredible team season (one where Elway was in and out of the line up). Again, if he had those numbers and it was the 2000 season, he wouldn't have won it. Just like when guys like Jamal Lewis and Chris Johnson didn't win MVP in their 2000 yard seasons. Yet when Barry Sanders did it, his body of work was taken into account, and he still had to share it with Brett Favre.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #62
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Where on earth did you come to that conclusion? There are no rules in opinions. Context and circumstance have everything to do with determining value. MVP is far more than production based. If it were simply a game of numbers there would be no way any players outside of QB's would win it. TD won the MVP partially because of numbers, but mostly due to the circumstances of those numbers. Defending champ, SB MVP, and being the catalyst for an incredible team season (one where Elway was in and out of the line up). Again, if he had those numbers and it was the 2000 season, he wouldn't have won it. Just like when guys like Jamal Lewis and Chris Johnson didn't win MVP in their 2000 yard seasons. Yet when Barry Sanders did it, his body of work was taken into account, and he still had to share it with Brett Favre.
I'll take your word for it. Arguing that is just going to feel like work at the end and nothing will get accomplished.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #63
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

If anyone needs any more evidence of a bias against fly over country, this season is it. See also the 2007 MLB honors when Matt Holliday and Troy Tulowitsky got cornholled.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #64
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Btw months ago I stated in another thread that I thought JJ Watts was better than Miller and folks piled on about how wrong I was.

"He who laughs last, laughs best."

Do not get me wrong I love Miller but JJ is an animal of another kind.

Maybe John can find an almost clone of this guy in the draft and make me a happy camper.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #65
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
If anyone needs any more evidence of a bias against fly over country, this season is it. See also the 2007 MLB honors when Matt Holliday and Troy Tulowitsky got cornholled.
Yes. Clearly snubbed for the media metropolises of Minneapolis and Houston...
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #66
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
On a team that was projected for about 5 wins. Manning would of got the MVP if they didn't choke against Baltimore.
They vote at the end of the regular season.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #67
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
They vote at the end of the regular season.
But clearly all of those sports writers that have writing about manning choking in the playoffs knew what was going to happen.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote